• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Interesting! Did they say who's doing it?

Pat and Woolie. Im hoping they do something with the multiplayer at the end. Be a waste not to see that sick grappling hook. Hell, id be okay with it replacing a fisticuffs as they do like an hour in a half of matches.

Anung

Un Rama
Pat and Woolie. Im hoping they do something with the multiplayer at the end. Be a waste not to see that sick grappling hook. Hell, id be okay with it replacing a fisticuffs as they do like an hour in a half of matches.

Ohhh great combo. Count me in. The Mirrors Edge LP they did was kick ass so hopefully this will be like that.

FlowersisBritish

I dunno, they seem to be in full on shill mode for Titanfall right now (for good reason, game is amazing, thanks to the user pages ago that posted that amazing spoiler).

heather_mason___unlimited_ammo_by_unsomnus-d8gq9dm.jpg

The image Pat mentioned in tonight's SH3

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm just saying it's a lot harder than it may seem to put out 2-3 videos a day, every day.

I don't think being incompetent at games = lack of effort bad YouTuber, though.

The quality of a gaming video is not directly proportionate to how good the player is at playing the game. There's taste required here, but SBF would happen to be my favorite of the 'bad at games' (that's a bit harsh, but sometimes certainly true) YouTubers, and that's as I find them entertaining and fun to watch.

FlowersisBritish

Honestly, I am shocked at the level of quality people expect from them. These guys's first big name to fame was "Mat pressed the wrong button on a controller and accidently threw the best weapon in the game away." Three out of the four were bug testers whose job it was to play games badly and bafflingly with the intent of breaking it. Their best videos essentially consist of shitty on this one french guy's entire career. When I first got into them, a friend of mine shat all over them and said they weren't any Chip and Ironicous. So i checked those dudes out and yeah, they were more professional, but I didn't enjoy them as much and their certain brand of pretentiousness rubbed me the wrong way. Like, i enjoy how professional the best friends are being about Silent Hill 3. Its a nice rarity and I could do for more like it. But I also love Omnicron and their frustrated screaming and how they are all near killing each other at this point. And Command Mission for being just relatively chill as Liam and Woolie shoot the shit. The bar I want them to meet that will keep me viewing is variety, and I think that's something the best friends have always been really good at providing, not professional looking videos, pro level gameplay, or high brow humor.

The only thing i hold them to any real standard of quality is the podcast, and that one time they lost the recording and Liam and Woolie did the board deadpan as Patt lost his shit was the best. So obviously I'm pretty flexible.

I'm just saying it's a lot harder than it may seem to put out 2-3 videos a day, every day.

I don't think being incompetent at games = lack of effort bad YouTuber, though.

The quality of a gaming video is not directly proportionate to how good the player is at playing the game. There's taste required here, but SBF would happen to be my favorite of the 'bad at games' (that's a bit harsh, but sometimes certainly true) YouTubers, and that's as I find them entertaining and fun to watch.

I know, I watched your Siren LP

But Siren has some fucking obscure requirements for progession, and I loved your LP all the same <3

ESPECIALLY for playing it blind and all the frustration that entails

Edzi

Honestly, I am shocked at the level of quality people expect from them. These guys's first big name to fame was "Mat pressed the wrong button on a controller and accidently threw the best weapon in the game away." Three out of the four were bug testers whose job it was to play games badly and bafflingly with the intent of breaking it. Their best videos essentially consist of shitty on this one french guy's entire career. When I first got into them, a friend of mine shat all over them and said they weren't any Chip and Ironicous. So i checked those dudes out and yeah, they were more professional, but I didn't enjoy them as much and their certain brand of pretentiousness rubbed me the wrong way. Like, i enjoy how professional the best friends are being about Silent Hill 3. Its a nice rarity and I could do for more like it. But I also love Omnicron and their frustrated screaming and how they are all near killing each other at this point. And Command Mission for being just relatively chill as Liam and Woolie shoot the shit. The bar I want them to meet that will keep me viewing is variety, and I think that's something the best friends have always been really good at providing, not professional looking videos, pro level gameplay, or high brow humor.

The only thing i hold them to any real standard of quality is the podcast, and that one time they lost the recording and Liam and Woolie did the board deadpan as Patt lost his shit was the best. So obviously I'm pretty flexible.

Of course you should expect quality from them, it's odd that you'd be shocked by that. Expecting quality doesn't mean I or people like me expect them to be good at everything they play (this obviously isn't the case, and I don't know why it's so hard to understand), but it does mean they should put in some effort to make their content entertaining outside of "hurdur we're so bad this game is shit". FNF is also a good example of low effort low quality content that's become more common on the channel, and same goes for content that's so low effort that it turns into a podcast and appeals only to people who ironically like it for being shitty.

FlowersisBritish

Of course you should expect quality from them, it's odd that you'd be shocked by that. Expecting quality doesn't mean I or people like me expect them to be good at everything they play (this obviously isn't the case, and I don't know why it's so hard to understand), but it does mean they should put in some effort to make their content entertaining outside of "hurdur we're so bad this game is shit". FNF is also a good example of low effort low quality content that's become more common on the channel, and same goes for content that's so low effort that it turns into a podcast and appeals only to people who ironically like it for being shitty.

No, I understand what you're looking from them, but I don't think you understand what I'm looking from them. FNF is a perfect example because we disagree on it extremely. I like it, I think its quality content. The sheer variety and number of fighting games I've seen and never heard of just from it is staggering to me. Granted, I'm not into fighting games so I can't judge their gameplay, but I still appreciate how they go out of there way to showcase every character even if they don't play them well. I think the Minecraft LP (mostly episode 1) is also quality content because I laughed through-out it and the meta-realization "We can't put this out, we barely even paid attention to the game" was hilarious. What I don't think you're getting is our bars of quality are measuring two different things. I won't speak for yours, but again, mine is measuring variety and humor. And I've always really enjoyed the variety of content they put out, and I've always enjoyed their banter. So for me, they've continued to put out quality content.

Edzi

So you're actually bitching about someone using their personal twitter for something resembling positivity? I mean, go for it I guess.

I'm sorry my comment bothered you so much. Though you bitching about my bitching has created a fun little circle, we should do it again some time.

Fat4all

Banned
I'm sorry my comment bothered you so much, I guess posting light annoyances about the guys is frowned upon now. Next time I'll only post when I have good things to say about Matt's twitter.

SHOCKING NEWS: Local Twitter Man Re-Tweets Fan Images!

YOU WON'T BELIEVE IMAGE NUMBER 7!!!

FlowersisBritish

This thread is getting a little tense. Can we all at least agree the best friends need more Always Sunny references and talk? It be easier if there was a AAA game where Mac took on a bunch of gabronies, but what can we do.

Anung

Un Rama
The implication that things might go wrong for the best friends if they refuse to LP for me. Now, not that things are gonna go wrong for them, but they're thinking that they will.

The implication that things might go wrong for the best friends if they refuse to LP for me. Now, not that things are gonna go wrong for them, but they're thinking that they will.

I'm not saying something will happen. I'm just saying that something could happen and I can't say definitively it won't happen.

Top Bottom