• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Matt has his moments but I definitely think he does better as an LP partner than as a podcaster.

I'm glad we can all agree Pat is leading the charge for SBF though.

zeemumu

They each have their moments when it's their time.

Matt's the best when the game is ridiculous or based on a comic book

Woolie's time is when hype is needed for cool moments

Pat's the best when the game is frustrating

Liam's the best when something breaks his calm disposition and he gets upset.

Edzi

I dunno how I'd rank them tbh since they each play off each other really well, but I will say that I've grown increasingly fonder of Liam over the last couple years (in part due to actually meeting him and the fact that we're close to the same age) and that Matt's quality is highy variable and depends on how much of a shit he feels like giving that day.

Matt's quality for me depends on the game. Dude can phone it in way too much.

He wants to be a meme.

All I know is I'd put Pat at the top and Liam at the bottom. Woolie's also grown on me over the years as I've noticed we both seem to have the same taste in everything. I kinda like how Matt tends to bring an element of levity to stuff he's in, plus he and Pat play off each other really well, so I certainly don't mind him.

Edzi

All I know is I'd put Pat at the top and Liam at the bottom. Woolie's also grown on me over the years as I've noticed we both seem to have the same taste in everything. I kinda like how Matt tends to bring an element of levity to stuff he's in, plus he and Pat play off each other really well, so I certainly don't mind him.

Funny, that levity is exactly why he tends to grind my gears. He tries to make EVERYTHING into a big dumb joke, and doesn't know when to stop.

Funny, that levity is exactly why he tends to grind my gears. He tries to make EVERYTHING into a big dumb joke, and doesn't know when to stop.

I agree to an extent, but I feel like he's usually fine in that regard, although we probably have different standards for what would be considered "too far." Either way, it's not nearly as bad as Liam's constant need to argue and bitch about every minor thing. Like, it actually is making me almost want to quit the Sonic Unleashed LP because of how how needlessly whiny and nitpicky he's being.

Matt's fine for me as long as no one utters the word "Nintendo" in his presence, because doing so turns him into the most insufferable of shitlords as if he were some kind of really crummy Captain Marvel.

Liam has the same problem, but it's like there's an entire dictionary of words you can't say around him.

As long as neither of them are triggered, though, they're tolerable. The fun thing about Pat is that he's worth having around even when he is triggered.

Matt's fine for me as long as no one utters the word "Nintendo" in his presence, because doing so turns him into the most insufferable of shitlords as if he were some kind of really crummy Captain Marvel.

Liam has the same problem, but it's like there's an entire dictionary of words you can't say around him.

As long as neither of them are triggered, though, they're tolerable. The fun thing about Pat is that he's worth having around even when he is triggered.

Exactly. Pat's at least fun to listen to when he starts ranting, because he sounds like an insane person. He also tends to actually have something to be upset about whereas Liam typically just either misinterprets something or is just way too sensitive about every minor thing.

I still have absolutely no idea what it is that Liam hates about Chip. At this point, I'm convinced it's just a meme that got pushed way too far.

Village

Me too.

I don't know man I actually think the best podcasts have a man down. Usually a little more focused that way.

Pat > Woolz > Liam (Woolie and Liam can swap depending on the LP/mood) > > Matt (When Matt tries he is higher on the list)

I mean I maybe they are.

I just like matt the least

Matt, in that room:

"Oh jesus. OH JESUS"

Pat and me:

giphy.gif

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Matt's rarely anyone's favorite in the LP room, but I think he's the glue that holds the BF together. Mostly because all of the really good and successful ideas (shit storm, wrestlemainia, the initial theme weeks) I'm pretty sure were from him. That's why he makes the big bucks and has a hawt Italian wife.

Have they said if they'll be streaming The Game Awards tomorrow?

Are those tomorrow? Maaaan those and PSX came up way quicker than i would have thought

Matt's rarely anyone's favorite in the LP room, but I think he's the glue that holds the BF together. Mostly because all of the really good and successful ideas (shit storm, wrestlemainia, the initial theme weeks) I'm pretty sure were from him. That's why he makes the big bucks and has a hawt Italian wife.

Matt's energy gives me life. I seriously would probably stop watching altogether if he ever left.

Anung

Un Rama
He lives for the Zaibatsu accounting and tax filings but has to drag himself to record a LP.

It actually feels like there's some truth to this. Say what you will about Matt but he is excellent at networking, interacting with fans (those that agree with him anyway) and capitalising on a meme.

Kind of find him insufferable when he's not into what they're doing. Which happens more than I'd like. But he's the boss so I guess he feels obliged to take part in things even if he tanks it through apathy.

I'm rewatching the Walking Dead LP. Shits so good.

Chev

I didn't even know that Omikron was that fucking bad, christ

Although it's not too good a game they've also been spectacularly abysmal at playing it, so it's not quite representative of the experience you'd have had playing it when it came out. Half the stuff that seems to come out of left field is explained by just talking to people in the street or reading books (and most of them aren't actually in illegible fonts), they've been consistently missing items and even entire places or features (like manual driving, which is utterly terrible, mind you) or taking the long way to do things, even more so now that they're purely on autopilot and following the walkthrough word for word. It took them what, nearly 20 episodes to figure out they had apartment keys for most characters they've been possessing?

I'll give them the factory death bug though, although that's one that seems to have been introduced when the game was upgraded for modern systems.

That being said, a lot of it has been hugely entertaining and I guess incompetence is part of their shtick. I nearly lost it in the last episode when they were in Iman's flat and one of them thought the record collection would be a puzzle (the owner of that place, the woman they possessed to get the factory entrance location, is Bowie's wife so she's got all his records and that's all).

Although it's not too good a game they've also been spectacularly abysmal at playing it, so it's not quite representative of the experience you'd have had playing it when it came out. Half the stuff that seems to come out of left field is explained by just talking to people in the street or reading books (and most of them aren't actually in illegible fonts), they've been consistently missing items and even entire places or features (like manual driving, which is utterly terrible, mind you) or taking the long way to do things, even more so now that they're purely on autopilot and following the walkthrough word for word. It took them what, nearly 20 episodes to figure out they had apartment keys for most characters they've been possessing?

I'll give them the factory death bug though, although that's one that seems to have been introduced when the game was upgraded for modern systems.

That being said, a lot of it has been hugely entertaining and I guess incompetence is part of their shtick. I nearly lost it in the last episode when they were in Iman's flat and one of them thought the record collection would be a puzzle (the owner of that place, the woman they possessed to get the factory entrance location, is Bowie's wife so she's got all his records and that's all).

Even if they're bad it, the game still looks unbearably awful to me.

Dave Cage certainly did improve on his skill.

Also I love, love, that they've managed to play even this piece of shit game terribly. It's entertaining through and through, with the Best Friends Seal Of "Quality" LPing.

Chev

Even if they're bad it, the game still looks unbearably awful to me.

Well, now you (and they) are in for a ride because having entered Lahoreh they've started the last and worst part of the game AKA plot cuts land. If they can manage to not get lost it's mostly blazing through unfinished environments until the absolute dread that is Astaroth.

Well, now you (and they) are in for a ride because having entered Lahoreh they've started the last and worst part of the game AKA plot cuts land. If they can manage to not get lost it's mostly blazing through unfinished environments until the absolute dread that is Astaroth.

I'm not in for anything yet as I'm still super behind. Last part I watched was like 12 or something.

I think they had just figured out what a Koopy was.

Fat4all

Banned

i

c
a
nt

w
a
it

Fancolors

I'm expecting to watch it after everyone says it's amazing and ending up not understanding the hype.

Honestly, I don't know how to explain why I'm liking this either.

It's just six good looking randos thrown in to same environment. Much like anyone else, they have their differences and need to deal with their personal problems. That's about it.

And yet I'm interested in them, so I dunno, maybe it's just the way the show is put together.

Strimei

If the name of today's 3 pm video wasn't enough of an indicator, do not watch it with people around. I saw this game played on Giant Bomb's UPF a few weeks back and whooo boy. I was expecting something on the level of Mount Your Friends.

This though is on a whole different level.

Top Bottom