• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The constant negativity surrounding the Phantom Pain has me finding it difficult to start playing it. I just finding myself less and less motivated to.

Edzi

Best friends summing up how i feel about Korra. I wanna like it more and there are parts that are better, and Korra is more interesting than Aang. But Korra having to live season by season along with the pretty shotty writing in parts definitely hurts the overall show. Especially it's extremely garbage romance which was just as bad as it was in Avatar, yet got much more screentime in Korra and was much more noticeable in its quality.

I need to watch S4 soon though.

I really liked Korra at first, but then I had the ending "twist" spoiled for me after watching season 2 and I just lost all interest. To me, the crappy romance elements of Avatar are always the worst, and hearing that the creators decided to force in a last minute romance between Korra and Asami just felt really cheap.

The constant negativity surrounding the Phantom Pain has me finding it difficult to start playing it. I'm just getting less and less motivated to.

Well, if you play/beat it, then you can join us in the negativity :)

Squishy3

Best friends summing up how i feel about Korra. I wanna like it more and there are parts that are better, and Korra is more interesting than Aang. But Korra having to live season by season along with the pretty shotty writing in parts definitely hurts the overall show. Especially it's extremely garbage romance which was just as bad as it was in Avatar, yet got much more screentime in Korra and was much more noticeable in its quality.

well korra suffers from nick's fuckery, originally just s1, then after they finished production on s1 they order 3 more seasons and they have to scramble an overarching plot into production

mako is shit but at least seasons 3 and 4 sandbag him super hard

and i'm not talking about the ending of the series, they just actively shit on him every chance they get

Agreed, you could really tell that it lived season by season, which is a bad thing. Having a new villain every season doesn't keep me interested at all, I took a break halfway through season 3 but so far all of the villains combined can't hold a candle to Azula. To be fair Azula is one of my favorite villains ever but still.

Also that love triangle in Korra is one of the worst ones I've ever seen, it's really hard to give a shit when Mako and Asami aren't given much time to build their personalities, so why should I care who ends up with who? There was romance stuff in TLA too but at least they didn't give it this much attention.

The constant negativity surrounding the Phantom Pain has me finding it difficult to start playing it. I'm just getting less and less motivated to.

It's a great game that plays fucking great. If the concept of cut content gets to you so badly then you shouldn't be playing videogames in general. The Cutting Room Floor outlines all kinds of amazing things that never made it into games. People get so hung up on it because this is the "last" metal gear game from Kojima. Guess what, the story is just as nonsensical as any of the other ones, but the game is the best playing in the series and is wicked fun. Everything feels great.

People are being more negative than it deserves because of the high-profileness of it. There's nothing negative here other than a meh story for me, but that is almost a nitpick with how great everything else is.

Anung

Un Rama
I haven't listened yet, but I'm going to take a guess it's because of this.

oHdJ7uG.jpg

Fuck, that is brutal. Hope its nothing major and good on pat for being on the level.

The constant negativity surrounding the Phantom Pain has me finding it difficult to start playing it. I just finding myself less and less motivated to.

Don't be. Especially for someone like you who loves DMC4. It shares some similar aspects of being weaker on the cutscene/story side and some of the late game content is pretty hit or miss, but is unmatched by anything else in its genre in terns of mechanics and gameplay. Its the best game I've played in a really long time.

I really liked Korra at first, but then I had the ending "twist" spoiled for me after watching season 2 and I just lost all interest. To me, the crappy romance elements of Avatar are always the worst, and hearing that the creators decided to force in a last minute romance between Korra and Asami just felt really cheap.

well korra suffers from nick's fuckery, originally just s1, then after they finished production on s1 they order 3 more seasons and they have to scramble an overarching plot into production

mako is shit but at least seasons 3 and 4 sandbag him super hard

and i'm not talking about the ending of the series, they just actively shit on him every chance they get

Agreed, you could really tell that it lived season by season, which is a bad thing. Having a new villain every season doesn't keep me interested at all, I took a break halfway through season 3 but so far all of the villains combined can't hold a candle to Azula. To be fair Azula is one of my favorite villains ever but still.

Also that love triangle in Korra is one of the worst ones I've ever seen, it's really hard to give a shit when Mako and Asami aren't given much time to build their personalities, so why should I care who ends up with who? There was romance stuff in TLA too but at least they didn't give it this much attention.

Yeah, the two weakest elements are definitely Nick's interventions in the shows production and the awful focus on romance, but the rest of the show is so solid it ended up being much better than it should have been. Avatar is definitely the better experience overall though.

Anung

Un Rama
It's a great game that plays fucking great. If the concept of cut content gets to you so badly then you shouldn't be playing videogames in general. The Cutting Room Floor outlines all kinds of amazing things that never made it into games. People get so hung up on it because this is the "last" metal gear game from Kojima. Guess what, the story is just as nonsensical as any of the other ones, but the game is the best playing in the series and is wicked fun. Everything feels great.

People are being more negative than it deserves because of the high-profileness of it. There's nothing negative here other than a meh story for me, but that is almost a nitpick with how great everything else is.

I'm sorry but what? that's not the issue at all. The game is clearly unfinished and the quality take a nosedive because of it. It's a great game that is undercooked. The pacing and structure of the second half is crap considering its Kojima and the story is half baked in a very un-Kojima way.

I'm negative on it because it is a legitimate disappointment in my opinion. The game needed more time. The gameplay while great can't hold up boring mission design. The open world fails open world design 101. Plus the cut content eviscerates a huge chunk of story.

And this is coming from someone who loves Metal Gear wholeheartedly. But I'm not going to let fanboiism and Kojima love blind me from criticizing a thing. I had great time with MGSV until the later half left a bitter aftertaste and a longing for what it could have been with more development time.

I know man. I was like 3D wut? Sprites must have been mighty expensive.

The thing is, is that according to someone in that thread they drew the sprites by 3D modelling each character than tracing sprites over them while doing the lighting and effects afterwards.

I wonder if these are the 3D models they used. Either way, it looks super early/rough.

Yeah I know people like to joke about "looks like a n64 game" and such, but that KOF footage actually made it look like a dreamcast game, it has to be very early in development. I hope they don't try to go for a realistic artstyle though.

Edzi

This is actually not true, there are a lot of really good reasons why people are unhappy with this game. If you're actually interested, you could check out the spoiler thread where there have been a few decent discussions about this.

Xiraiya

The latest podcast with the questions about what LPs they'd keep or remove was very interesting, I almost feel like it revealed a somewhat worrisome minor awareness problem, but oh well.
I'm 190 hours into it and have been having a great time, (I even went into it spoiled on the ending and most major plot things) the ARE some valid criticisms but just as many, if not more misconceptions.
It's a very different Metal Gear experience from things like 4, but still very MG feeling regardless, to me anyway.
Most of my criticism for the game stems from the thought of "This should have been more on the nose".

The first real trailers for Phantom Pain made it painfully obvious what the deal is, which is baffling because so many people got really upset from being caught off guard. I truly think knowing the truth of the game as you're going into it completely changes and gives context for so many little and big things that would probably otherwise by easy to dismiss as nothing, which is unfortunate because I get why some people are upset about certain things and that is why I think things should have been more on the nose or in your face, that's not me saying "The game is too deep for people" That's me saying "Kojima has misunderstood his audience".

Basically, play TPP with a Dark Souls story mindset and you'll have a better time than most.

I haven't listened yet, but I'm going to take a guess it's because of this.
oHdJ7uG.jpg
Oh I didn't see this, good man, doing what should be the natural instinct.

aly

Here's a big criticism of MGS V that isn't cut content or story: It is super repetitive. Yeah you have multiple approaches to a mission, but there is little variety in what those missions are. The limited locations makes this stand out even more.

Xiraiya

I've just been hearing people bitch about the cut content, sorry.
Yeah, and that stems from a cutscene in an extra episode in the Collector's Edition video that *seemed* to not make it in the game, but no one has really figured out the full story on that stuff yet, it's literally drama and assumptions, they might be right, but people really don't know. it's a cutscene in my opinion that is cool and would have been good to see and even might be a thing in future if we're lucky since Kojima doesn't leave until December. But it isn't something that is "vital" to the story, it's cool extra stuff.

But anyway, game plays amazingly well and that fact alone keeps you wanting to replay it or do some of the same stuff differently, because ultimately it's all for building up Motherbase.

Yeah, and that stems from a cutscene in an extra episode in the Collector's Edition video that *seemed* to not make it in the game, but no one has really figured out the full story on that stuff, it's literally drama and assumptions, they might be right, but people really don't know. it's a cutscene in my opinion that is cool and would have been good to see and even might be a thing in future if we're lucky since Kojima doesn't leave until December. But it isn't something that is "vital" to the story, it's cool extra stuff.

But anyway, game plays amazingly well and that fact alone keeps you wanting to replay it or do some of the same stuff differently.

It does not only stem from that. You need to stop dismissing any criticisms saying that people are just upset over that.

As far as "we don't know if it really was cut", stop deluding yourself. It's cut content. It's not in the game. It doesn't exist.

Edzi

Yeah, and that stems from a cutscene in an extra episode in the Collector's Edition video that *seemed* to not make it in the game, but no one has really figured out the full story on that stuff yet, it's literally drama and assumptions, they might be right, but people really don't know. it's a cutscene in my opinion that is cool and would have been good to see and even might be a thing in future if we're lucky since Kojima doesn't leave until December. But it isn't something that is "vital" to the story, it's cool extra stuff.

But anyway, game plays amazingly well and that fact alone keeps you wanting to replay it or do some of the same stuff differently, because ultimately it's all for building up Motherbase.

Huh? It's absolutely confirmed that episode 51 was cut from the game because they couldn't finish it in time. That's the 18 minute video that was on the CE which went through the entire chapter, with unfinished cutscenes, art, and dialogue, and it tied up a major plot point that was left completely hanging in the game. There's also a ton more stuff that you're just dismissing for some reason to defend the game.

Anung

Un Rama
But it isn't something that is "vital" to the story, it's cool extra stuff.

Whaaaaaat.They basically cut out closure to a very big portion of the game and left more questions than answers (which is stupid, its the final game). It's pretty vital and obviously they cut it because of budget/time constraints. I doubt they left it out on purpose because it seems so important to that plot.

Xiraiya

It does not only stem from that. You need to stop dismissing any criticisms saying that people are just upset over that.
As far as "we don't know if it really was cut", stop deluding yourself. It's cut content. It's not in the game. It doesn't exist.
And you need to stop being dramatic just because other people have gotten to you and ruined your fun so easily. No that episode is not in the game, but I was speaking more generally on the issue as it extends to more than that episode.

aly

You mean the cut scene and potential boss fights that tells
what happens to the giant dangerous metal gear that Eli stole is not vital? Or how he lived while being infected?
Wut?People have a problem because the game is lacking in area that it built it's fanbase on. You can care only about how it plays, but surely you can understand why people feel the total package is a letdown?

And you need to stop being dramatic just because other people have gotten to you and ruined your fun so easily. No that episode is not in the game, but I was speaking more generally on the issue as it extends to more than that episode.

No one has gotten to me over anything, I'm just not deluding myself over a game that clearly isn't what it was advertised to be in any sense.

Anung

Un Rama
No one has gotten to me over anything, I'm just not deluding myself over a game that clearly isn't what it was advertised to be in any sense.

Just leave it. They are clearly blinded by delusion or fanboism. Leave them to the 10/10 MGSV that doesn't exist. People obviously can't reach valid conclusions on the quality of a thing without being influenced by others (lol)

Edzi

Sounds more like you can't handle valid criticisms to a game you happened to like. Come on man, it's fine that you liked it, but you can't just dismiss all this stuff that people are talking about.

Just leave it. They are clearly blinded by delusion or fanboism. Leave them to the 10/10 MGSV that doesn't exist. People obviously can't reach valid conclusions on the quality of a thing without being influenced by others (lol)

Sounds more like you can't handle valid criticisms to a game you happened to like. Come on man, it's fine that you liked it, but you can't just dismiss all this stuff that people are talking about.

Nah, that's just how he is. I mean for christ sake I was talking with him this morning and he insists there's probably still hidden things despite the fact that there are people out there with 100%.

100% means you have gotten everything

He's not saying it's a 10/10 game like all these reviewers and randoms are, but he's very actively ignoring a lot of the criticisms simply because of what "might" (and isn't) buried deep within.

The fuck is with all this dismissive, "they must be fanboys" argument?

Maybe when I get around to the end game I'll feel like that. But for now, 10% completed with the game, it's fun, I'm having a good time.

As much as I hate to outright stifle discussion, this is beyond the scope of the thread. At least until the SBF talk about it and we can discuss it in that context.

I do recommend anyone not finished with the game try not to react harshly to the attitudes of people who are finished. It's not baseless by any means, but people aren't going to agree, either.

The fuck is with all this dismissive, "they must be fanboys" argument?

Maybe when I get around to the end game I'll feel like that. But for now, 10% completed with the game, it's fun, I'm having a good time.

I'm not making that argument, nor am I trying to take away anyone's enjoyment of the game. With as early as you are right now you're not really going to see the things we're referring to.

Coolluck

Thank god there's a new Until Dawn LP today. I'm also watching the Achievement Hunter one but because the best LP started first I can't get further in the AH one. Whole reason I kept watching Arrow last year.

aly

I'm so glad they fixed the brightness on UD. It was ridiculously dark before.

Edit: I also can't help but think about the podcast comments about UD climbing over the corpses of other lps, while watching.

Skrams

Edit- Also Until Dawn remains to be a great game and playthrough so far. I would of gotten fucked in the latest episode since I know what I would of chosen.

I doubt it. And nothing of value was lost either way, they didnt show FF15 or P5 or very many big name things at all to care about. Would've been a waste to have a 90 minute vid for like 2 reactions worth a damn.
I will say that the tail end of the conference was flatter for myself, but come on son. Bloodborne Expansion, Gravity Rush stuff, Yakuza stuff, KoF foaming at the mouth from Woolie, oooo's at Nioh, KH2.8 Final Chapter Prologue naming, groans over RE, 13 Sentinels, Danganronpa, and then you get the petering out of faceplates, PS Now, price drops?, and a commercial. There would of been plenty to talk about. All this shit is open season anyway after that PC Gamer conference.
Glad that she seems to be fine. I'm also glad she casually mentions him still wearing the hat. Fuck that unimportant shit though. ORE MONOGATARI HYPETRAIN YEAHHH. Too bad the final episode is in a week.
I may have missed it, but did they ever formally announce these?
CO8wfnQUcAIn9EB.png:orig

http://sharkrobot.com/products/super-best-friends-play-zaibatsu-pins
I've never heard them specifically say NEW MERCH NOW AVAILABLE, but those are official as far as I know. New merch popped up recently and that's one of them. They alluded to those pins on the podcast a while back actually when they were trying to think of things that represented them for a certain something. They said it was hard since Matt's just the punisher and Woolie's just reboot.

Top Bottom