• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

MrHoot

Sucks about what happened to Pat's ladyfriend, hope all is fine.

Also wonder if they're gonna do a let's watch of TGS' cony sonference

I love how controversal this ending is and the fact that Kojima can still do this to people 14 years later is pretty amazing. Metal Gear is something special and MGSV is no different for better or worse.

The ending isn't a controversy. The fact that is an incredibly unfinished game is.

Maybe so, but it can't be denied that the game has been proven to have had an entire chapter cut, along with a cobbled together Chapter 2.

Assets were cut, like any other video game. And all we know is that
a mission 51 was cut which was supposed to have the true final boss and ending. A whole chapter with the length and the size of chapter 1 and to an extent 2, wasn't cut.

How comparable is it to vanilla Destiny in that regard then?

They share similar aspects where the gameplay is clearly the focus, but Metal Gear feels like a complete game, since the content of the game itself feels very fleshed out with very strong level/mission design and with an enormous amount of mechanics and systems to keep every encounter fresh. Haven't played Destiny, but all I've heard is how little the content was, how boring the content itself was and how you had to constantly grind the same content to unlock new stuff, none of which exists in MGSV.

MrHoot

Ye ye Bloodborne DLC
Gravity Rush 2 and Gravity rush 1 on PS1
KOF14 !

Also my vita is kill. No fucking titles for it. Screw you sony

Pat is gonna have a heart attack for the zaibatsus reaction video.

All those Yakuza games never coming to the US.

If you truly think MGSV is a complete game, you're blind.

Whatever you say bruh. I've gotten more of a complete and great experience from that game than most games I've ever played. Though I guess if you only care about the story then its your loss and your problem.

Skrams

Did they confirm a lets watch anywhere? I think it would be a fun lets watch, but I was hoping for a little bit more in the second half. It was a bit flat of a finish. The Yakuza, Gravity Rush, KH, KoF, and Bloodborne stuff would get some good reactions.

All those Yakuza games never coming to the US.

Whatever you say bruh. I've gotten more of a complete and great experience from that game than most games I've ever played. Though I guess if you only care about the story then its your loss and your problem.

I never said the game wasn't fun. It's a perfectly fun game, but as a Metal Gear game, especially as the last one in the series, it's a crushing disappointment because it brought us absolutely nothing we were promised. Not to mention
quite literally 90% of the game was spoiled in the trailers.

If people are willing to accept an incredibly incomplete and unfinished game then that's a pretty bad sign for the gaming world as a whole because it's encouraging this type of behavior in the future.

I never said the game wasn't fun. It's a perfectly fun game, but as a Metal Gear game, especially as the last one in the series, it's a crushing disappointment because it brought us absolutely nothing we were promised. Not to mention
quite literally 90% of the game was spoiled in the trailers.

If people are willing to accept an incredibly incomplete and unfinished game then that's a pretty bad sign for the gaming world as a whole because it's encouraging this type of behavior in the future.

Yes, I'm willing to accept a game like MGSV as a standard of what games, especially sandbox open world games, should be. Even with its cut story content. And I'd be discouraged if people write off MGSV as just "being an incomplete and unfinished game" even though its the mechanically deepest and most polished action game we've probably ever seen, yet just can't get over one piece of content being cut.

Thing that baffles me is that people seem to dislike the entirity of the story anyway yet give such a huge shit that
the ending was cut. And nothing about this was supposed to be the conclusion to the franchise, that's what MGS4 is for and anyone expecting some big grand ending to the series even though it takes place right in the middle of the canon surprises me.
Like I've said before, the only people who find it to be a crushing disappointment are the people who only care about the story.

Edit: Is it a big shame that the
last mission and ending
was cut? Yes. Is it a "crushing disappointment," "incredibly incomplete" or "incredibly unfinished." Not even close.

Skrams

Man that KOF14 is hshffffffffffff

Really really sad to see the sprites go. Especially for this kind of 3d

I don't think KoF would be here if they didn't go 3D. It's sad to see it go, but if it means KoF can live then I'm good. I also hope that's an earlyearlyearly trailer because it's a bit rough.

MrHoot

I don't think KoF would be here if they didn't go 3D. It's sad to see it go, but if it means KoF can live then I'm good. I also hope that's an earlyearlyearly trailer because it's a bit rough.

Rough is kinda an understatement considering the pedigree but yeah.

Otherwise, super nice conference. Whole bunch of stuff i'm interested in, both on viturr and ps4. Gravity rush 2 might be a ps4 exclusive now which makes me sad but it looks gorgeous for the part. I'm glad toukiden 2 open world is a thing. Ni Oh looks nice (I love yokais). Lot's of stuff coming from Square Enix (Seriously, where do they find the money)

Randy42

Also wonder if they're gonna do a let's watch of TGS' cony sonference

I doubt it. And nothing of value was lost either way, they didnt show FF15 or P5 or very many big name things at all to care about. Would've been a waste to have a 90 minute vid for like 2 reactions worth a damn.

Yes, I'm willing to accept a game like MGSV as a standard of what games, especially sandbox open world games, should be. Even with its cut story content. And I'd be discouraged if people write off MGSV as just "being an incomplete and unfinished game" even though its the mechanically deepest and most polished action game we've probably ever seen, yet just can't get over one piece of content being cut.

Thing that baffles me is that people seem to dislike the entirity of the story anyway yet give such a huge shit that
the ending was cut. And nothing about this was supposed to be the conclusion to the franchise, that's what MGS4 is for and anyone expecting some big grand ending to the series even though it takes place right in the middle of the canon surprises me.
Like I've said before, the only people who find it to be a crushing disappointment are the people who only care about the story.

Edit: Is it a big shame that the
last mission and ending
was cut? Yes. Is it a "crushing disappointment," "incredibly incomplete" or "incredibly unfinished." Not even close.

Dude, you don't seem to be understanding exactly what was cut. I'm not complaining about
Episode 51. Anyone that plays Chapter 2 can tell that something went horribly wrong because 80-90% of the chapter is nothing but Chapter 1 missions done again but with a small difficulty gimmick. The final new piece of content you do in Chapter 2 is you cremating the bodies of Diamond Dogs and telling Kaz you'll bring them into battle with you....... into Main Ops and Side Ops that you've already done in Chapter 1. Then the Truth ending just appears out of absoltely nowhere with no buildup at all.... what? All I want to remind you that Chapter 2 was called RACE, which was not present in absolutely any way at all. It's a mess.

That KoF 14 announcement is such a relief to me. After worrying for months about whether the series would just be doomed to pachinko or pinball machine, that buyout from Leyou gave me some hope for a new game. And now we have it.
I'm sad to see sprites go, but I guess good things can't last forever. As long as the game plays like KoF, I'll be satisfied.
Glad I didn't stay up to watch the conference, because that's a great thing to wake up to

Man, listening to Matt, Liam, and Woolie discuss Phantom Pain on the podcast and what Metal Gear is now while I'm sitting her playing Subsistence again is the weirdest thing due to what to me feels like difference of opinion based primarily on concepts of what the series should be.

Like, I criticize this series so damn much for going against what proper stealth should be, yet the constant discussion from them and the Phantom Pain LP made me get a buy a copy of MGS3 and finally play through Ground Zeroes which I had on my PS4 via PS+ for months now. I like them for the stupid absurd stories, except when I get my hands on the controls and then I start caring about stealth game conventions.

I played the majority of Splinter Cell games and yet I come back to Metal Gear.

Metal Gear hasn't always been incredibly great about Stealth Mechanics. The Gameplay has always improved after each iteration to the point where both stealth and going loud are viable choices now.

The crazy dumb Anime bullshit and cool set pieces keeps me coming back.

Only in the series is a bipedal tank, a vampire, and a minigun toting shaman viable threats.

Geg

Little update on Paige and Pat here: http://tits-in-a-toboggan.tumblr.com/post/129144763083/wow-you-guys-are-so-sweet

Wow! You guys are so sweet!

I really did not expect such a huge response! And even on to the reddit page? You guys are crazy. :)

Just real quick: I want to apologize as I am the reason Pat wasn’t part of the podcast this week. After they took some tests and realized I wasn’t going to die on the spot, I told him to go because that shit is important, but he folded his arms and glared at me under his hat for like, two hours straight for “making stupid requests.“ So, there’s that image for you in case you felt like I exposed him for being TOO nice! ;)

But yeah, I still feel like absolute garbage and I’m hoping for a swift, honorable death, but I’m doing a hell of a lot better. Just need to be more careful (it had been a strenuous last few days). I’ve also got his ass watching Ore Monogatari and he’s devouring it! You’re welcome!

But seriously, thanks for all of the kind words!

I may have missed it, but did they ever formally announce these?
CO8wfnQUcAIn9EB.png:orig

http://sharkrobot.com/products/super-best-friends-play-zaibatsu-pins

Honestly? I just kinda don't want to.

I think, after 3 years of watching/listening to them virtually every day, I might be a little tired of the Best Friends. =/
You should take a break, I hit that point like a year ago and I suddenly stopped watching every video as soon as it came out and I pretty much quit listening to the podcast all together(only listen when it has something interesting for me). Now I don't force myself to watch LP's I have zero interest in(DS2, BB, etc) and just watch the stuff I want to watch.

MrHoot

I doubt it. And nothing of value was lost either way, they didnt show FF15 or P5 or very many big name things at all to care about. Would've been a waste to have a 90 minute vid for like 2 reactions worth a damn.

Eh I dunno, depending on who would be present (if it was a Pat + Liam thing, although considering recent circumstances I doubt Pat would've been present). Gravity Daze 2 being life was a pretty big announcement, and they have a vested interest in stuff like King of Fighters, RE or Yakuza

But yeah no news about it so i don't think it'll happen

Edzi

If you truly think MGSV is a complete game, you're blind.

Pretty much, and I'm really hoping for/looking forward to their rage once they finish the game. I predict Matt and Pat to be the most upset, while Liam (who seems to prioritize the gameplay over everything else) will probably be the only one to come out of it on a completely positive note. I'm not entirely sure about Woolie, since hearing him talk about it, it sounds like he subconsciously dislikes aspects of the game, but he's too caught up in the hype to really criticize it. I think he'll start to get bummed out once he hits ch. 2 though.

I played the majority of Splinter Cell games and yet I come back to Metal Gear.

Metal Gear hasn't always been incredibly great about Stealth Mechanics. The Gameplay has always improved after each iteration to the point where both stealth and going loud are viable choices now.

The crazy dumb Anime bullshit and cool set pieces keeps me coming back.

Only in the series is a bipedal tank, a vampire, and a minigun toting shaman viable threats.
It is dumb bullshit and I love it all the same, but while I'm being fondly reminded that I prefer MGS3's mechanics the best out of the whole series, I can't help but find myself losing more and more patience with the extensive cutscenes and don't have the time to try and listen to every codec conversation. It was really more the difference in story and gameplay structure for V that Woolie was talking about that I felt I had a different feeling on because to me that comes off as the most refreshing thing Metal Gear could ever do. I just want to play because there's so much crazy shit that can be done within those systems.

Oh well. Regardless, the whole hubbub around Phantom Pain when it released (and in the wake of people calling it "unfinished") has had me digging back into other stealth games and trying to put all my thoughts and design ideas about the genre onto paper. Figures even if I don't jump on a bandwagon with everyone else it gets me doing something that's still somewhat related (the bad reviews of RE6 back in the day made me finally play 4 so that was worth it in and of itself).

Best friends summing up how i feel about Korra. I wanna like it more and there are parts that are better, and Korra is more interesting than Aang. But Korra having to live season by season along with the pretty shotty writing in parts definitely hurts the overall show. Especially it's extremely garbage romance which was just as bad as it was in Avatar, yet got much more screentime in Korra and was much more noticeable in its quality.

I need to watch S4 soon though.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The constant negativity surrounding the Phantom Pain has me finding it difficult to start playing it. I'm just getting less and less motivated to.

Top Bottom