• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

I'm so glad they fixed the brightness on UD. It was ridiculously dark before.

Edit: I also can't help but think about the podcast comments about UD climbing over the corpses of other lps, while watching.

The fact that Matt had to tweet out this morning that Until dawn was coming today shows how fucking vile this fanbase has gotten.

Edzi

The fact that Matt had to tweet out this morning that Until dawn was coming today shows how fucking vile this fanbase has gotten.

The subreddit has been getting worse too. It used to be fairly chill and mellow, but lately it's been turning into a place that seems to worship the best friends. Constant references, and downvotes for opinions. Still, not nearly as bad as some other fanbases.

aly

Eh, I don't find the strong complaints and dislikes on DR and Starfox to be vile, if that's what you mean, but we've been over this conversation already.

Eh, I don't find the strong complaints and dislikes on DR and Starfox to be vile, if that's what you mean, but we've been over this conversation already.

The complaints aren't the fact that they dislike the other games, it's that "WHERE THE FUCK IS UNTIL DAWN I WANT IT 24/7 EVERY DAY WHAT THE FUCK!!!" is what the comments tend to boil down to, paraphrasing of course.

aly

The complaints aren't the fact that they dislike the other games, it's that "WHERE THE FUCK IS UNTIL DAWN I WANT IT 24/7 EVERY DAY WHAT THE FUCK!!!" is what the comments tend to boil down to, paraphrasing of course.

Yeah I agree those are dumb, but I blame the shoddy scheduling (3-4 days) for that being as strong as it is. It's one of the reasons why I thought that question about dumping and keeping lps so interesting, since they addressed the disparity in lp views and how technical problems and lack of caring can cause some regrets.

Pretty much. Hell, one of the comments on today's ep was bitching that episode 9 wasn't up. It's a great lp, sure, but fucking christ are people being a bunch of children.

Yeah I agree those are dumb, but I blame the shoddy scheduling (3-4 days) for that being as strong as it is. It's one of the reasons why I thought that question about dumping and keeping lps so interesting, since they addressed the disparity in lp views and how technical problems and lack of caring can cause some regrets.

I haven't listened to the podcast yet but I'm guessing Danganronpa is one of the ones they wanna drop because Liam started actively skipping cutscenes in the most recent episode.

Dumping an LP mid run is a fucking awful idea though. The views may not be as high, but some people do enjoy them. Start dumping LP's because it's not the top viewed and you're going to start losing an audience.

Anung

Un Rama
They mentioned this Vessel thing on the podcast? I've not had a chance to listen to it yet.

EDIT: I can see where Until Dawn folk are coming from. I'm in that camp though not as strongly opinionated. The scheduling has been hyper bad and because a lot of the other LP's aren't great (imo but there does seem to a thread of disinterest) it's made the want of more Until Dawn even greater.

EDIT: It's bizarre but dumping an LP sets a weird precedent. And even though I wouldn't mind them dumping Star Fox or Dragon Rumba it is such a big thing to do and it'd certainly change things from here on out.

aly

I haven't listened to the podcast yet but I'm guessing Danganronpa is one of the ones they wanna drop because Liam started actively skipping cutscenes in the most recent episode.

Dumping an LP mid run is a fucking awful idea though. The views may not be as high, but some people do enjoy them. Start dumping LP's because it's not the top viewed and you're going to start losing an audience.

Nah, they were talking about past lps they completed if they had to choose. I agree that dropping one in the middle would be awful though. Someone is watching those even if they aren't on top.

Cool thing about multiple LPs is the ability to pick and choose. Im loving Star Fox since its basically a 3 man podcast talkimg about random shit and occasionally how dumb the game can get, yet im not really into UD (which is weird because i usually love Matt and Pats horror stuff) probably because the game hasn't been too interesting to me where even GB's stream has me kind of bored of it.

You dont have to watch everything you dont wanna see, just go do something else if you dont wanna watch it.

Cool thing about multiple LPs is the ability to pick and choose. Im loving Star Fox since its basically a 3 man podcast talkimg about random shit and occasionally how dumb the game can get, yet im not really into UD (which is weird because i usually love Matt and Pats horror stuff) probably because the game hasn't been too interesting to me where even GB's stream has me kind of bored of it.

You dont have to watch everything you dont wanna see, just go do something else if you dont wanna watch it.

how far did you get because Until Dawn gets really wierd and creepy later

MrHoot

I'd say it's nice to recommend in these kinda "slow" periods some other similar lps or just going back for some feelgood nostalgia best friends.

Again I recommend slowbeef's, diabetus and retsupurae's current LPs and riffs because man they've been going strong for the past. There's also yahtzee from escapist and his "Drown outs" which are like plague plays dark souls but way less nitpicky and more homosexual australian banter

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Well, if you play/beat it, then you can join us in the negativity :)

Did you like Ground Zeroes? It's more of that gameplay, except in various locales.

It's flawless gameplay with undercooked story. I don't regret a second of playing it.

It's a great game that plays fucking great. If the concept of cut content gets to you so badly then you shouldn't be playing videogames in general. The Cutting Room Floor outlines all kinds of amazing things that never made it into games. People get so hung up on it because this is the "last" metal gear game from Kojima. Guess what, the story is just as nonsensical as any of the other ones, but the game is the best playing in the series and is wicked fun. Everything feels great.

People are being more negative than it deserves because of the high-profileness of it. There's nothing negative here other than a meh story for me, but that is almost a nitpick with how great everything else is.

Don't be. Especially for someone like you who loves DMC4. It shares some similar aspects of being weaker on the cutscene/story side and some of the late game content is pretty hit or miss, but is unmatched by anything else in its genre in terns of mechanics and gameplay. Its the best game I've played in a really long time.

Play it. As a game alone it's worth the money.

Play it :D But keep your expectations in check. The gameplay alone is worth playing it for.

I'm 190 hours into it and have been having a great time, (I even went into it spoiled on the ending and most major plot things) the ARE some valid criticisms but just as many, if not more misconceptions.
It's a very different Metal Gear experience from things like 4, but still very MG feeling regardless, to me anyway.
Most of my criticism for the game stems from the thought of "This should have been more on the nose".

Thanks for the input, guys. I'll definitely get around to it, it just seems like everyone's down on it lately and I haven't had much time to play stuff. My lowered expectations might actually help my perspective and approach to the game. I didn't actually play Ground Zeroes. I've just seen it played on streams and by the SBF.

And I've seen a lot of criticisms levied at it. I've actually avoided the "cut content" threads for fear of spoilers, so that hasn't really been too much of a factor.

Did Willie just decide to not use the JP voiced for Dangan? I remember him saying they were going to download it.

EDIT: Just noticed the current episodes were recorded on Aug 25th. Damn, they got a super early copy.

Disgraced

They mentioned this Vessel thing on the podcast? I've not had a chance to listen to it yet.
They did not. I logged into my dead Twitter account to hit up Woolie about it. No reply.

I'm the polar opposite. I can see the appeal, but I'd prefer it be officially called a podcast if that's what it becomes. That's a problem I have with a lot of LPers in general. I'm fine with an LP's commentary going momentarily off-topic if absolutely nothing significant is happening, but under most circumstances it really irrratates me. If the commentator(s) doesn't/don't care then why the fuck should I the viewer be invested? Sure, I could treat it as a podcast and do something else in another tab. But I'd rather listen to a real podcast where most of the attention is devoted to a conversation that isn't being occasionally slighted by a dumb game.

Xux

Aw, they cut it right before going in the door. Good thing the thumbnail on Vessel doesn't spoil it. (The thumbnail on Vessel spoils it.)

NeonBlack

Geez after squinting like at old man at Until Dawn I felt like I was staring into the sun when they fixed the brightness.

The balcony just appears once they turned the brightness up. It was a whole new area.

That
cliffhanger on TPP
was painful. Especially since I played through that part.

They did not. I logged into my dead Twitter account to hit up Woolie about it. No reply.I'm the polar opposite. I can see the appeal, but I'd prefer it be officially called a podcast if that's what it becomes. That's a problem I have with a lot of LPers in general. I'm fine with an LP's commentary going momentarily off-topic if absolutely nothing significant is happening, but under most circumstances it really irrratates me. If the commentator(s) doesn't/don't care then why the fuck should I the viewer be invested? Sure, I could treat it as a podcast and do something else in another tab. But I'd rather listen to a real podcast where most of the attention is devoted to a conversation that isn't being occasionally slighted by a dumb game.

That's what the whole game has become at this point. Nothing significant has happened on screen in a while, and if you wanna use that same argument against LPers, why should the players give a shit about the huge downgrade in content of the game when its clear that Rare didn't. I was exaggerating the whole "its completely off-topic" thing. They will talk about new things when it happens. But when we get the same Star Fox space shooter level for the 15th time in a row, or the same turret section or running through the same areas for the 5th time in a row, how can anyone make some kind of commentary on the game itself without just saying the similar thing over and over again when they hit the same areas.

I can understand hating the podcast talk though, but the game isn't giving them much to work with at this point until they hit later events in the game since pretty much all the upcoming areas until the end sequence are all revists with slightly different experiences. I personally enjoy the more laid back nature of this LP while seeing just how bad my mind played tricks on me into thinking this was a good game when it came out.

how far did you get because Until Dawn gets really wield and creepy later

Like chapter 8 I think? I've kind of just tuned out because it just got boring, but people say it gets super weird towards the end. Giant Bomb will probably finish it by Friday though so I'm gonna see it through regardless.

Disgraced

That's what the whole game has become at this point. Nothing significant has happened on screen in a while, and if you wanna use that same argument against LPers, why should the players give a shit about the huge downgrade in content of the game when its clear that Rare didn't. I was exaggerating the whole "its completely off-topic" thing. They will talk about new things when it happens.
  • Sure, I could treat it as a podcast and do something else in another tab. But I'd rather listen to a real podcast where most of the attention is devoted to a conversation that isn't being occasionally slighted by a dumb game.
But when we get the same Star Fox space shooter level for the 15th time in a row, or the same turret section or running through the same areas for the 5th time in a row, how can anyone make some kind of commentary on the game itself without just saying the similar thing over and over again when they hit the same areas.
  • If the creativity's exhausted and it's pretty much impossible to add anything, then I think the monotony should be cut out.
  • Like I said, I think occasional deviation's totally acceptable in bursts but it should never take over the subject matter. Everything in moderation.
I can understand hating the podcast talk though, but the game isn't giving them much to work with at this point until they hit later events in the game since pretty much all the upcoming areas until the end sequence are all revists with slightly different experiences. I personally enjoy the more laid back nature of this LP while seeing just how bad my mind played tricks on me into thinking this was a good game when it came out.
  • It's not so much that I hate "podcast talk" it's more that I think when it's more that than on-topic discussion—or even once it hits about a 1:1 ratio it's skirting even being a let's play in my eyes. At that point I'd prefer it be called a 'video podcast' and the cast divert their attention away from the game and focus on discussion unrelated to it.
  • Or maybe don't LP games that don't offer much in the way of an enticing viewing for sizable stretches of time.
*I'm only vaguely referring to the Star Fox LP in my argument. I personally couldn't stand looking at it after the first few episodes and have only been dipping in for segments since. "LPers in general."

Edzi

• If the creativity's exhausted and it's pretty much impossible to add anything, then I think the monotony should be cut out.
  • Like I said, I think occasional deviation's totally acceptable in bursts but it should never take over the subject matter. Everything in moderation.
  • It's not so much that I hate "podcast talk" it's more that I think when it's more that than on-topic discussion—or even once it hits about a 1:1 ratio it's skirting even being a let's play in my eyes. At that point I'd prefer it be called a 'video podcast' and the cast divert their attention away from the game and focus on discussion unrelated to it.
  • Or maybe don't LP games that don't offer much in the way of an enticing viewing for sizable stretches of time.
*I'm only vaguely referring to the Star Fox LP in my argument. I personally couldn't stand looking at it after the first few episodes and have only been dipping in for segments since. "LPers in general."

I'm not watching this LP, but a lot of what I'm hearing here is reminding me a lot of Game Grumps, and that is absolutely terrifying. The Best Friends have always been the upper tier of LPers and YouTube entertainers, so I hope they never have a drop in quality like that.

Anung

Un Rama
I'd love to be a fly on the wall while they discussed LP'ing Star Fox and how it was anything other than a bad idea.

Numb

Starfox is alright. Much more relaxed than usual LPs and Woolie with the ''yeahs'' is hilarious.
It's the chill zone out of the ongoing LPs.

MrHoot

The game is bad but i warmed up to the LP pretty quickly after it started as my ASMR LP. Since nothing is happening in the game really, I can just listen to them like a podcast

ASMR because Pat isn't here and Liam is gunning it

i feel like the ones who hate the Danganronpa LP are only that way because they cant get off their lazy asses and play the first 2 games
a PSTV is like $20-$50

I'm not watching this LP, but a lot of what I'm hearing here is reminding me a lot of Game Grumps, and that is absolutely terrifying. The Best Friends have always been the upper tier of LPers and YouTube entertainers, so I hope they never have a drop in quality like that.

It hasn't turned to random noises and fart jokes
yet.

That's a fair opinion. There hasn't really been any monotony in the LP though because the conversation is actually interesting/entertaining, even if you dislike podcast talk. If you wanna see how bad it can get, check the middle of the nuzlocke they did.

I can't do this anyone.

It's been more than a year but this structural flaw in the Best Friend's Zaibatsu has been haunting me for months but enough's enough.

The XML file for the podcast is still using the old non-2snacks artwork for Liam for the podcast thumbnail.

All podcasting applications retrieve this artwork:

Ideally they should be getting something like this instead:

I told Woolie about this months ago on twitter but he probably didn't get it. It's a simple matter of changing the some links in the XML file of the podcast.

I just made a post on the subreddit hoping that someone notices and fixes this glaring flaw.

I can't do this anyone.

It's been more than a year but this structural flaw in the Best Friend's Zaibatsu has been haunting me for months but enough's enough.

The XML file for the podcast is still using the old non-2snacks artwork for Liam for the podcast thumbnail.

I told Woolie about this months ago on twitter but he probably didn't get it. It's a simple matter of changing the some links in the XML file of the podcast.

I just made a post on the subreddit hoping that someone notices and fixes this glaring flaw.
Ugh I never noticed it until now. Hope they fix it. I can never unsee that now.

Zenfalcia

I can't do this anyone.

It's fiiiiiiiiine. At this point it's part of the quality and "aesthetics" that was promised years ago.

I can't do this anyone.

Something something Zaibatsu culture something something best friends shot themselves in the foot.

We play the same podcast twice in succession, yet it produces two clearly different pictures. I mean, what are we to believe, that this is some sort of a magic podcast or something? Boy, I really hope somebody gets fired for that blunder.

Is this specific to a podcast app? It seems okay on my pc/phone

We play the same podcast twice in succession, yet it produces two clearly different pictures. I mean, what are we to believe, that this is some sort of a magic podcast or something? Boy, I really hope somebody gets fired for that blunder.

Is this specific to a podcast app? It seems okay on my pc/phone

I think so. I think apps just take whatever data is on the XML for convenience sake. I switched from this one paid podcast app to another paid app on my android and noticed that both apps showed swirly eyes Liam on the podcast.

EDIT: Welp, the reactions so far on the reddit thread have been mostly lukewarm. Shouldn't have expected much from that subreddit I guess.

Skrams

I think so. I think apps just take whatever data is on the XML for convenience sake. I switched from this one paid podcast app to another paid app on my android and noticed that both apps showed swirly eyes Liam on the podcast.

EDIT: Welp, the reactions so far on the reddit thread have been mostly lukewarm. Shouldn't have expected much from that subreddit I guess.

If you posted it not at 1 AM I'm sure there would be more of a response than not at all. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing it get changed, but if you wanted the thread to get noticed I would of said post it during the afternoon probably. Although Woolie seems to never sleep, so maybe he'll see it anyway. Dunno.

mike0dude

http://sbfancast.libsyn.com/sbfancast-episode-003-this-shitcast-is-still-alive-somehow

Hey guys Episode 003 is up.
sorry about not posting episode 002 yet, it should come out in a couple of days , because editing that piece of shit is a bitch...

This time we talk about the end of Rustlemania, Until Dawn , Metal Gear V , StarFox , and Reboot.

We have Mathaou from episode 1 , Nick , and Levi on

Sorry for the poor quality of the audio, i did my best to edit out the echo.

If you want to send us a letter to complain about how bad this is or ask us any questions, you can send it to SBFancast@gmail.com and we might read it.
You can also leave any feedback you want in the comments.

enjoy (hopefully)

On the podcast, Woolie said that Rick and Morty is full of cringe moments but I marathoned the show this weekend and saw no cringe comedy at all.

Is cringe becoming some sort of buzzword that no one really knows what it means?

Top Bottom