• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Have these kinds of horror games(in which you have no offensive capabilities like in RE or even Silent Hill) ever been system sellers? Not sure why Liam thought this game was going to be that popular.

I'd probably compare it more to a Quantic Dreams game than a pure survival horror, considering how QTE heavy it is and among other reasons, and those did pretty well as far as I can remember.

Edit: I didn't read that totally properly. I agree that is weird to assume it'd be a system seller compared to something like Bloodborne though unless you're really into these kind of games as it does have replayability.

aly

I feel like you have to go into games like UD with a certain mindset or know what to expect. That's what made it a surprise and so good for me. As for streamers, it also really depends on who is streaming. I had a lot of fun watching other people have fun when watching it. No idea how the GB stream went though.

I feel like you have to go into games like UD with a certain mindset or know what to expect. That's what made it a surprise and so good for me. As for streamers, it also really depends on who is streaming. I had a lot of fun watching other people have fun when watching it. No idea how the GB stream went though.

I think the stupid teen stuff in the beginning and the stuff towards the end is pretty good. It just starts to drag towards the middle when it tries to be focused more on horror/slasher, but just screws up pretty hard with the massive amount of jump scares and failing to set up any kind of unsettling atmosphere (though the doll part was pretty good).

I had a lot of fun watching it though, as the Giant Bomb stream was awesome, which is why I mention this game is fantastic for LPs/streaming where the commentary can really help make up for the boring parts.

These kind of games were never really made for me though, as I just really dislike games based around QTEs, but still want to enjoy the story with some commentary over the slower parts these games kind of tend to have.

aly

I think the stupid teen stuff in the beginning and the stuff towards the end is pretty good. It just starts to drag towards the middle when it tries to be focused more on horror/slasher, but just screws up pretty hard with the massive amount of jump scares and failing to set up any kind of unsettling atmosphere (though the doll part was pretty good).

I had a lot of fun watching it though, as the Giant Bomb stream was awesome, which is why I mention this game is fantastic for LPs/streaming where the commentary can really help make up for the boring parts.

These kind of games were never really made for me though, as I just really dislike games based around QTEs, but still want to enjoy the story with some commentary over the slower parts these games kind of tend to have.

Understandable. You make me really want to watch the GB stream too. I was holding out to focus only in this one, but it'll be a while before they finish so why not.

Understandable. You make me really want to watch the GB stream too. I was holding out to focus only in this one, but it'll be a while before they finish so why not.

Its definitely worth watching, there are some pretty major differences between the two LPs and its really interesting to see.

I love how Matt actually made all the right decisions in this episode believe it or not. I love this game. To me, all the setup in the beginning works because
Fake horror and scares evolve in to real danger and death.
I just really enjoyed the hell out of the game and it was the one game I can say for me, that it made me glad I got a PS4
I streamed it the first night if anyone wants to watch. I go a completely different route than Matt does sometimes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGyLNswWjYA

I can't speak about the MGSV thing because honestly, beyond MGS1 and Ground Zeroes, I've never played anything else. The game looks like a blast and I guess the lack of story doesn't bother me because I'm not invested in to the franchise. Liam seems to love it based on gameplay and I don't see how or why that's bad. I don't see him letting the lack of a story or cut content go unsaid because he probably will say it's the worst part of the game. I think he really enjoys what it has to offer besides that.

Skrams

Have these kinds of horror games(in which you have no offensive capabilities like in RE or even Silent Hill) ever been system sellers? Not sure why Liam thought this game was going to be that popular.

I don't know why it's crazy to think this game will be big for selling consoles to people on the edge. It seems to be a great exclusive and it's another thing to tip people over the edge if they were on the fence. The fact it's blown up on youtube and all that seems like it will do well to push the game as a system seller for people at least on the edge.

Did Liam even say system seller back on the podcast too? I remember him saying it's another great reason to pick up a PS4 or something, but I don't know if he said the word system seller as if to imply it'll appeal to generic casual audience that picks it up randomly in the store.

I'm not really sure why he's still trying to classify things as "system sellers" for the PS4 to begin with. At this point the system has been pretty extensively sold. The correlation between people buying a game in quantity and buying the system for a game becomes really hard to draw more than two years in.

I mean, outside of isolated cases, anyway. (That meaning you could still have an "in Japan"-qualified system seller for the PS4, as it's sold so poorly there, but even if Uncharted 4 sells 10,000,000 copies it's really hard to distinguish between how many systems it sold and how many people who already own a system just bought the game.)

I'm not really sure why he's still trying to classify things as "system sellers" for the PS4 to begin with. At this point the system has been pretty extensively sold. The correlation between people buying a game in quantity and buying the system for a game becomes really hard to draw more than two years in.

I mean, outside of isolated cases, anyway. (That meaning you could still have an "in Japan"-qualified system seller for the PS4, as it's sold so poorly there, but even if Uncharted 4 sells 10,000,000 copies it's really hard to distinguish between how many systems it sold and how many people who already own a system just bought the game.)
Well to me, I can honestly say the PS4 hasn't really had anything exclusive that is a must play or have game. Everything I've played or owned so far could have been played on last gen or on the Xbox 1. Again, to ME, UD really was enjoyable and I could happily play it numerous times and it makes me glad about having the PS4.

poodaddy

Gold Member
Not saying attention needs to be drawn to specifics but it'd be nice to get people who maybe got scared off in the past back in.

New thread feels good though. Fresssshhhh.

I'm a curious sort and I can't help but ask what you cats are referencing? I've been out of the loop for a bit andIm hopping back in. I understand if you don't wanna trash up the thread with some drama though, just curious.

Skrams

Forgot to mention it, but man I feel like the recent UD part is throwing a lot of red herrings at you. If they're not red herrings then wow, this shit is obvious and not obvious and this game is weird.

I'm a curious sort and I can't help but ask what you cats are referencing? I've been out of the loop for a bit andIm hopping back in. I understand if you don't wanna trash up the thread with some drama though, just curious.

We hit 18 threads so quickly in about a year because of a lot of off topic talk and nonsense that could be seen as barely pertaining to the Best Friends. There was also some shit with pretty risque avatars and mods shut that shit down. So now it's a lot of on topics talk and no but x is best girl though.

Well to me, I can honestly say the PS4 hasn't really had anything exclusive that is a must play or have game. Everything I've played or owned so far could have been played on last gen or on the Xbox 1. Again, to ME, UD really was enjoyable and I could happily play it numerous times and it makes me glad about having the PS4.

I feel like this is on point, nothing so far in the PS4 library is a "must-have" for me, so in that way I can understand that Liam feels UD is a system seller, problem is that it's a relatively short game(I assume) and if you're not interested in replaying games(I never am unless it's a year later and I really loved the game) it's not worth getting a console just to play it. The closest I've gotten to buying a PS4 is SFV but I just decided to build a gaming PC and just never get an XBO or PS4.
We hit 18 threads so quickly in about a year because of a lot of off topic talk and nonsense that could be seen as barely pertaining to the Best Friends. There was also some shit with pretty risque avatars and mods shut that shit down. So now it's a lot of on topics talk and no but x is best girl though.
I mean we can still have "x is best girl" talks if the SBF talk about it or it's relevant to an LP, and a little off topic talk is fine, we just went way overboard with that shit.

aly

I understand Liam's talk about system sellers, but once again I feel exclusives (minus maybe major ones like Halo, Mario, and Uncharted) are just extras that people can pick up or knock them over the fence. Actual system sellers are COD, sports games, Assassin's creed, etc. That's why people buy consoles and they don' care that it's on PC or Xbox or last gen as well. Sales consistently support this, so I see arguing that something is a system seller to be almost useless.

I understand Liam's talk about system sellers, but once again I feel exclusives (minus maybe major ones like Halo, Mario, and Uncharted) are just extras that people can pick up or knock them over the fence. Actual system sellers are COD, sports games, Assassin's creed, etc. That's why people buy consoles and they don' care that it's on PC or Xbox or last gen as well. Sales consistently support this, so I see arguing that something is a system seller to be almost useless.

I see it the other way around really.

That muscular Orca looks absurd. His playstyle is pretty cool though.

Does this game have project M people working on it, or just dudes who love smash?

Numb

Brawls are cursed. So rare we got 4 man beat downs and Pat is missing during the precious time we got. I understand he is busy being a gentleman tho. Hope the worst is past there.

Skrams

Game looks really solid, but the stages are a bit small to me and I wish the hits had more impact. Maybe there's rumble on the controller to help with that. The hits feel a little soft to me from just watching.

All I want is Ultimax. That's it.

Never

Numb

Yeah, the biggest difference is guaranteed investment and competition. The casual-ness of FNF is great when they care about what they're playing, though.

Top wishlist other than brawls coming back in full force has always been them playing the FNF/SMS game throughout the week privately and then fighting each other hard to see who is the best. No mercy either. Even games they don't care about become fun when they are trying to put each other down.

Skrams

Also man, these damage percentages seem whack in this game. Matt's Orcane teleport hit Liam off at 72% or something, but Matt gets up near 200% later on and is relatively fine. It's weird.

I just want a good FNF episode.
What's a good FNF episode for you then? A Gang Beasts where all of the audience gets the game, an Under Night In Birth where they barely know what they're doing, or a Garou where they know what they're mostly doing?

FNF is the most recurring thing I care about least on the channel since I'm not into fighting games much. I can connect with some shit, but I'm not getting anything from a BattleFantasia. Hell, I don't think anyone gets anything from the BattleFantasia episode. The casual stuff is the only thing that is easily appealing to me from a viewer perspective since I can easily tell what's going on usually immediately. I do enjoy that FNF makes me feel like I'm getting smarter at understanding fighting game basics a little bit at least.
Rivals of Aether looks fun.

Though it's weird that a Smash-like wouldn't have ledge grabbing. I wonder what led to that decision.
Stages seem too small, the falls seem too short, and the recovery on some characters seems fucking nuts for ledge grabbing to be a thing. I think it makes some sense since you're edge guarding or whatever the term is, but for specific recoveries. Kraggs recovery seems useful as fuck since it just creates a platform, but he's also fat as fuck so it's easy to prevent him getting back on stage. As far as I gather, Orcane can just teleport to his puddle from anywhere, so it's a game of fucking with him during his recovery when he warps while making sure the distance is right as to not get hit by his warp attack. I assume Maypul can tag characters and sort of warp to them from anywhere which also seems nuts. Fosburn has his Zelda teleport so that's simple. Zetterburn has Fox/Falco recovery so eh. Wrastor seems to have a regular shoryuken so eh on that as well. It's just a bit of a different edgeguarding game I assume based off just watching the FNF.

Have they mentioned anything about doing a Plague Knight one off?

Haven't heard them mention it at all, but damn it would work well. Zubaz it up again and pass the controller with each death.

Laputa_94

Yeah, the biggest difference is guaranteed investment and competition. The casual-ness of FNF is great when they care about what they're playing, though.

True, I always was excited for brawls because it was like a monthly wrestling pay per view. As well as editing in random things they refernced or jokes they made, like that photo Matt found of Pat and Woolie

Edzi

I just want a good FNF episode.

Heh, you're not wrong. The Brawls were amazing because of how competitive they were, but FNF are just around an hour of casual play where nobody really cares about winning, which makes them really dull to watch. It's a shame that FNF basically replaced Brawls.

MrHoot

Speaking of FNF, i'm making a little game that could be considered competitive and was thinking of just making a Baz character for it, should be fun. I'll update when I get an animation

Top Bottom