• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Anung

Un Rama
Caught up with the podcast and that final question was really interesting. Cool hearing what LP they'd ditch if they could.

Matt McSpoiler though. This didn't effect me but I did laugh. Him dancing around a Bloodborne boss so he doesn't spoil it and Liam says "just say a name, a name doesn't mean anything" and then Matt just blerts out a complete description of the boss anyway. This man cannot dance around a spoiler to save himself.

EDIT: Liam should really just wait and finish MGSV first before he starts going on the defensive.

Yup. It's kinda hard hearing them talk about MGSV lately.

I haven't listened to the latest ones(mostly because the topics aren't interesting to me) but this was to be expected. Liam is like a super fan of MGS and his views can't be taken seriously if you aren't as big of a fan as he is. Guy has spent a billion hours playing Ground Zeroes and will probably spend 100x that on MGSV.

I haven't listened to the latest ones(mostly because the topics aren't interesting to me) but this was to be expected. Liam is like a super fan of MGS and his views can't be taken seriously if you aren't as big of a fan as he is. Guy has spent a billion hours playing Ground Zeroes and will probably spend 100x that on MGSV.

I expect he'll arrive to the conclusion that "the game play is immaculate so the lack of story is no big deal" while Woolie, Matt and Pat will be the ones to express that they don't really play those games for the game play and that's why they'll ultimately walk away disappointed.

Edzi

I'd consider all of them super fans, as well as myself, though it definitely seems like Liam in particular likes the series for different reasons than someone like me (or even Matt & Pat, from the sound of things, and to a lesser extent Woolie). Liam seems to heavily prioritize the gameplay above all else, and is overly eager to defend the game despite flaws.

I've noticed he sometimes lets his emotions get the best of him when it comes to things he happens to like, so I'm not really hopeful we'll get a very well thought out critique from him when the time comes. I just hope the eventual spoilercast isn't full of condescension and bad/overly emotional arguments.

Numb

I expect he'll arrive to the conclusion that "the game play is immaculate so the lack of story is no big deal" while Woolie, Matt and Pat will be the ones to express that they don't really play those games for the game play and that's why they'll ultimately walk away disappointed.

Well said.
MGSV will be his Skyrim or Witcher 3 and he'll forget what MGS was about since he is lost in there.

Yeah, but he is right. This is the best playing MGS and even if the story goes to shit, that won't change. He will likely be as disappointed with the story as others are(I assume anyways, going by what people are saying), but that doesn't mean he can't have fun still playing it. It is possible to criticize a game's problems and still enjoy it.

Anung

Un Rama

This makes the assumption that its impossible to be a super fan, like something and be able to criticize it. I consider myself a MGS super fan and have put ridiculous hours into all the games. I fucking love this shit. Even with my fanboi love of the series the problems here were so big that I couldn't overlook them. Amazing gameplay aside.

It is possible to criticize a game's problems and still enjoy it.

But Liam is already making excuses for a game he hasn't finished and that the general consensus is against.

The guy is also the youngest and sometimes he thinks with his heart more than his head.

Gameplay being immaculate does not excuse the actual narrative and storytelling being so half baked and lacking even for Metal Gear standards.

I think they shouldn't have that discussion until they've all completed the game.

aly

Yeah, but he is right. This is the best playing MGS and even if the story goes to shit, that won't change. He will likely be as disappointed with the story as others are(I assume anyways, going by what people are saying), but that doesn't mean he can't have fun still playing it. It is possible to criticize a game's problems and still enjoy it.

I'd believe that more if he wasn't already making excuses for a game he isn't finished with yet.

You can definitely enjoy the game for sure despite its flaws, but even though I've finished the story and have gotten 60% completion, I find myself not really wanting to go back and play because I know all that awaits me is something on the level of MMO grinding. I get my fill of that playing FF14.

But Liam is already making excuses for a game he hasn't finished and that the general consensus is against.
And? Has he said anything about how the games ending isn't that bad? From what I recall he is mostly talking about the gameplay, which I imagine, and from what I've heard, doesn't suddenly get worse(other then something about repeating missions). People do this all the time, doesn't make their opinion completely invalid or something, even if it might change later.

To be fair, I am far from beating the game myself.

And? Has he said anything about how the games ending isn't that bad? From what I recall he is mostly talking about the gameplay, which I imagine, and from what I've heard, doesn't suddenly get worse(other then something about repeating missions). People do this all the time, doesn't make their opinion completely invalid or something, even if it might change later.

To be fair, I am far from beating the game myself.

I envy you so much.

This makes the assumption that its impossible to be a super fan, like something and be able to criticize it. I consider myself a MGS super fan and have put ridiculous hours into all the games. I fucking love this shit. Even with my fanboi love of the series the problems here were so big that I couldn't overlook them. Amazing gameplay aside.

It was harsh to say his opinion doesn't matter, but it's like when he said $30(or however much it costed) for Ground Zeroes was a great deal because it has so much content, when in reality most people would be done with it within the hour. That's not calling Liam a liar, it's just that his experience with MGS games will not refect other peoples' opinions purely because he's eager to overlook downsides. I'm sure that, even though there's problems you couldn't ignore, there were a couple other problems that you did overlook.

Everyone does it, people say there's a lot of shit sidequests in Xenoblade, and while I agree, I never burnt out on that game. In fact, I've played it twice in a row 100%, and I just don't see or feel a lot of the downsides to the game that a lot of other people do.

Skrams

Still on Mission 15 or something since I put the game down for a bit. Gameplay is great and story leaves a lot to be desired even early on. I wouldn't be surprised that Liam will still like the game a lot despite story shit later considering his love of the gameplay. I don't think that's that absurd when we're talking about video games.

Speaking of making up excuses

They should let's play Knack

KNACK BABY

No

Knack would be the Starfoxiest LP to ever LP.

No point in speculating about their opinions of MGSV now. Everyone but Woolie is still very far from finishing it and we'll basically be having these same pointless discussions/arguments based on nothing but our own assumptions till the LP is done months from now, and kind of shitting up this thread as a result.

Back on topic, I'd be super disappointed in this fanbase if there isn't an entire compilation of Fox's "Yeah!" animations by the end of the Star Fox LP.

UD part 9:
That jumpscare was a bit silly, I honestly think this game is better than to stoop to "spooky ghosts screaming in your face", it was more funny than scary.

MrHoot

UD part 9:
That jumpscare was a bit silly, I honestly think this game is better than to stoop to "spooky ghosts screaming in your face", it was more funny than scary.

Yeah I felt the same. Although it does make "sense" later on in the context of what happens, like all the other earlier jumpscares like the scarecrow. Thankfully it's also the last cheap jumpscare for the game. It's all serious shit afterwards

kewlmyc

Wow, Matt gave zero fucks in the latest Until Dawn. *endgame spoilers*
I like how him trying to kill Emily ended up being the choice that actually saves both of them in the long run.

Skrams

UD Part 9-
Jump scare got me, but also what the fuck was that even. JUMP SCARE and then Chris charges forward. What. Chris is also being a humongous dick with saying no, it's fine that we made fun of her. A girl running away after her friends got her to undress on film is pretty fucking normal for the situation. I'm also glad Pat brought up a thing I want to happen. I really want someone to poke their head through a door and just fucking die. If Mike's first shot earlier had hit someone who poked their head through the mineshaft later in another characters section? It would of been fucking perfect.

Also please stop reading Hannah as Beth, Matt.

Guys not following their own script and making peeps do stuff not in their nature.
They do try tho.

Yeah, that bugged me. Matt just said I wanna see tho and that's not at all how the character would of behaved up until that point.

Matt McSpoiler though. This didn't effect me but I did laugh. Him dancing around a Bloodborne boss so he doesn't spoil it and Liam says "just say a name, a name doesn't mean anything" and then Matt just blerts out a complete description of the boss anyway. This man cannot dance around a spoiler to save himself.
Caught that too and it was pretty dumb. He probably could of gotten Liam or Woolie to remember the name considering he said the words Vidar or something. I'm sure if he took 2 more seconds he wouldn't have had to just blurt out the boss description.

UD part 9:

Yeah, I thought that was stupid.

Yeah I felt the same. Although it does make "sense" later on in the context of what happens, like all the other earlier jumpscares like the scarecrow. Thankfully it's also the last cheap jumpscare for the game. It's all serious shit afterwards

Good to hear because those types of scares are the dumbest.

Why is UD

ILOuyAS.gif

?? Love this LP.

MrHoot

Oh man oh man, a relevant spoiler in thel atest Plague Knight update for you guys

YOU CAN RECRUIT THE BAZ IN YOUR LABORATORY. He's so happy. He even gets a uniform and everything

Holy shit I forgot how close they are to the end. Next episode of Star Fox is definitely looking like the last! I can't wait for Woolie's reaction.

Oh man oh man, a relevant spoiler in thel atest Plague Knight update for you guys

YOU CAN RECRUIT THE BAZ IN YOUR LABORATORY. He's so happy. He even gets a uniform and everything

That's awesome! I really need to buy the PS4 version, since I don't have my Wii U atm.

MrHoot

That's awesome! I really need to buy the PS4 version, since I don't have my Wii U atm.

Yeah. The plague knight DLC is amazing, and it's free of all things. Any other game would charge like 15 bucks for it. It doubles the content, and the way plague knight plays is completely unique. And there's the challenge levels too

This is around the part where UD really started to lose me with the mediocre horror/slasher elements and really cheap jump scares, but thankfully (late game spoilers)
it starts to get really dumb in a mostly good way with the insane therapy sessions and Wendigo shit.

After seeing the GB stream, UD didn't seem as great as people made it out to be (especially with Liam's system seller comment). Best thing I can say about it is that its fantastic streaming/LP material, which is great considering how poorly Sony marketed it.

Yeah, it was pretty dumb. It's like something you'd see in a Newgrounds flash game.
I literally rolled my eyes, there were a bunch of scenes that I really didn't like in that episode. BTW I also didn't like how Matt did that out of character thing, it wasn't even out of curiosity,
he just wanted to kill her off.
It's their playthrough but eh, that was lame.
After seeing the GB stream, UD didn't seem as great as people made it out to be (especially with Liam's system seller comment). Best thing I can say about it is that its fantastic streaming/LP material, which is great considering how poorly Sony marketed it.
Have these kinds of horror games(in which you have no offensive capabilities like in RE or even Silent Hill) ever been system sellers? Not sure why Liam thought this game was going to be that popular.

Top Bottom