• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.
XiaNaphryz said:
2zykeas.jpg
any gaffers go to this?

what was it like? any pics?

TehOh

_dementia said:
any gaffers go to this?

I went. It was pretty awesome. I forgot my camera, but I snapped one picture from my phone while playing the game:

zxd.jpg

The game, by the way, is freaking awesome. It plays just like a 16-bit beat-em-up. Enemies explode into loonies and toonies when they die. You get to progress when you clear a screen of enemies, and there are some side rooms (a shop where you can spend those coins for powerups and a special subspace room). Boss fight with Patel was awesome, too. He summons demon harpies to protect him.

They had Scott Pilgrim-themed cups for the beer: (not my pic)
tumblr_l46zwmjzOL1qzniqdo1_500.jpg

Everybody got a full-sized movie poster and a t-shirt with the Scott Pilgrim sprite from the game on the way out. I'll post pictures of those after I get home.

big ander

TehOh said:
I went. It was pretty awesome. I forgot my camera, but I snapped one picture from my phone while playing the game:

http://www.4colorrebellion.com/media/pics/10/06/zxd.jpg[img]

The game, by the way, is freaking awesome. It plays just like a 16-bit beat-em-up. Enemies explode into loonies and toonies when they die. You get to progress when you clear a screen of enemies, and there are some side rooms (a shop where you can spend those coins for powerups and a special subspace room). Boss fight with Patel was awesome, too. He summons demon harpies to protect him.

They had Scott Pilgrim-themed cups for the beer: (not my pic)
[img]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l46zwmjzOL1qzniqdo1_500.jpg[img]

Everybody got a full-sized movie poster and a t-shirt with the Scott Pilgrim sprite from the game on the way out. I'll post pictures of those after I get home.[/QUOTE]
Looks awesome. I'm really jealous of the poster and shirt.

JoeFu

Banned
So yeah... I watched the movie trailer two weeks ago and liked it so I bought the first volume of Scott Pilgrim. One week later, and five books down, I also have SP fever. I can't wait for the last book, game, and movie.

TehOh

And.. here is the swag!

swag.jpeg

We got an extra set to give away on 4 Color Rebellion, but it probably won't be until around the release of the last book. I'll post in this thread again around that time so that you guys have a chance to win.

Danielsan

Micheal Cera stars as fucking Scott Pilgrim.
The international trailer sealed the deal.
Cera has got what it takes and he's totally pulling it off.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hey dudes, just got the new wired.
Haven't read the article yet, but there is a sizable article about the pilgrim movie.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I take it you have to have been a fan of the comics (which I just learned existed) to get excited for this? The preview looked like Michael Cera being Michael Cera combined with a wacky comic book story. I like Edgar Wright's previous films so I might check this out eventually, but I'm just not getting the love...

Ashhong

wtf does "playing Michael Cera" even mean? its the stupidest phrase i've ever heard. so he plays a normal human being, BURN HIM AT THE STAKE

big ander

Zefah said:
I take it you have to have been a fan of the comics (which I just learned existed) to get excited for this? The preview looked like Michael Cera being Michael Cera combined with a wacky comic book story. I like Edgar Wright's previous films so I might check this out eventually, but I'm just not getting the love...
It's not just Cera as Cera though. From the international trailer, we can see he's pretty much the Scott Pilgrim from the comics: he's a slacker, he's indecisive, he's slow in the head, and he tries hard to push himself on girls. He's not as much socially awkward as much as absent-minded. It's far different from Ceras characters in Arrested Development or Youth in Revolt or Superbad.

jett

D-Member
Ashhong said:
wtf does "playing Michael Cera" even mean? its the stupidest phrase i've ever heard. so he plays a normal human being, BURN HIM AT THE STAKE

I wouldn't call Scott Pilgrim a normal human being.

Anyway I watched Life in Revolt some weeks ago and he is capable of leaving his comfort zone, so the fault of him being Cera acting as Cera in SP probably rests on the director.

DrBo42

_dementia said:
any gaffers go to this?

Yeah. Pretty much every game journo and their mother went to this. All I remember is keg buffet and someone from dtoid dancing with that retarded robot head on the whole night.

hamchan

RobotNinjaHornets said:
If this bombs because everyone wrights (sorry, couldn't help myself) it off as another Michael Cera being awkward teen film, I'm gonna be rather irritated

Michael Cera's awkward teen films don't bomb.

Anyways movie is looking good as always. I still don't think Michael Cera is playing the same Scott Pilgrim as in the comics but I'm ok with that as Cera looks good in this.

Ashhong

jett said:
I wouldn't call Scott Pilgrim a normal human being.

Anyway I watched Life in Revolt some weeks ago and he is capable of leaving his comfort zone, so the fault of him being Cera acting as Cera in SP probably rests on the director.

I actually meant his other roles were just a normal human being, that probably is a pretty accurate representation of a lot of gaffers here. He's awkward, shy, funny, can be charming at times, etc etc. Maybe thats why they like to hate, because they hate seeing themselves on the screen?

Of course SP is a badass cocky, ditzy, nerd who is going to fuck some shit up! :D

I personally am more worried about Wallace. Rereading the comics, Wallace is just too awesome and really open. I can't see Caulken being like that...but I have my hopes up!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Ashhong said:
I actually meant his other roles were just a normal human being, that probably is a pretty accurate representation of a lot of gaffers here. He's awkward, shy, funny, can be charming at times, etc etc. Maybe thats why they like to hate, because they hate seeing themselves on the screen?

Of course SP is a badass cocky, ditzy, nerd who is going to fuck some shit up! :D

I personally am more worried about Wallace. Rereading the comics, Wallace is just too awesome and really open. I can't see Caulken being like that...but I have my hopes up!

I kinda know what you mean about Wallace, in the comics he's laconic but he has a sharpness about him whereas Culkin is just laconic. I can't imagine him calling Scott 'guy' for instance or being drunk and flirty like comics Wallace gets. I think he'll be fun but not the same. But then again, Cera isn't exactly comics-Scott but he is a pretty great interpretation, so I'll have faith in it for the moment.

Chairhome

Don't know if this was mentioned, but I just read the latest Wired mag and it has a short feature where Cera interviews Wright. They talk about the video game references, and Wright said that "a lot of people don't know this, but Shigero Miyamoto, the creator of Mario, has seen the movie. We had to get him to clear some music from the Legend of Zelda"

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Chairhome said:
Don't know if this was mentioned, but I just read the latest Wired mag and it has a short feature where Cera interviews Wright. They talk about the video game references, and Wright said that "a lot of people don't know this, but Shigero Miyamoto, the creator of Mario, has seen the movie. We had to get him to clear some music from the Legend of Zelda"
Fucking .:WOW:.

Danielsan

Chairhome said:
Awesome. :D

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Megaton

But budding young director Wright didn't state that Miyamoto thought it was movie of the year.

Clearly it's doomed. :(

Bit-Bit

Chairhome said:

What what what!?!

Ashhong

Jedeye Sniv said:
I kinda know what you mean about Wallace, in the comics he's laconic but he has a sharpness about him whereas Culkin is just laconic. I can't imagine him calling Scott 'guy' for instance or being drunk and flirty like comics Wallace gets. I think he'll be fun but not the same. But then again, Cera isn't exactly comics-Scott but he is a pretty great interpretation, so I'll have faith in it for the moment.

Yea exactly. Like how Wallace cheers on Scott while drunk to beat up Envy (sort of) or his line "Only I tell you what your mom says!". I can't see him saying that, but I do have faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom