• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.
TimeKillr said:
So, for anyone in Montreal (or coming to Montreal in late July)...

The movie will apparently be shown during the Fantasia festival on July 27th.

Last year their huge big movie was Inglorious Basterds. :)

Getting tickets to this will be a huge hassle. :)

Yet no Toronto.

Anger rising!!!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
From the Ray Harryhausen 90th birthday celebration:

The evening ended with a wonderfully surreal drinks reception, with even more famous names such as Terry Gilliam, Edgar Wright ("Scott Pilgrim will be completed in two weeks, I promise"), Simon Pegg, Reece Shearsmith and Andy Serkis turning up.

I hope Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright had a discussion about their third film. I'm still waiting on that, I would gladly trade Scott Pilgrim and it's sequel for it.

big ander

Discotheque said:
I hope Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright had a discussion about their third film. I'm still waiting on that, I would gladly trade Scott Pilgrim and it's sequel for it.
...Scott Pilgrim sequel? What the what

XiaNaphryz

Discotheque said:
My bad, I may be mistaken on that. I swear I heard Wright say he was planning a sequel if this did well.
Would be interesting to see how that would work, since the movie and original comics are going to diverge in plot.

big ander

Discotheque said:
My bad, I may be mistaken on that. I swear I heard Wright say he was planning a sequel if this did well.
Oh, I just hadn't heard about it, and assumed the movie would be a one-off since the comics were ending. I knew the stories diverged, but I still assumed it wouldn't be open-ended.
I guess that could be cool.

DanielPlainview said:

A German trailer? Already? :lol

Australia 12 August 2010
Canada 13 August 2010
Ireland 13 August 2010
Italy 13 August 2010
UK 13 August 2010
USA 13 August 2010
Iceland 27 August 2010
Netherlands 16 September 2010
Spain 24 September 2010
Finland 1 October 2010
Norway 1 October 2010
Estonia 8 October 2010
France 20 October 2010
Singapore 28 October 2010
Malaysia 11 November 2010
Germany 25 November 2010

Oh, and extreme = epic?

DanielPlainview said:
btw, my friend who saw a screening and sees pretty much everything out there said this is still his favorite film of the year.
I'm so hyped for this film I don't know how it could possibly live up to my expectarions

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
Just finished Volume 5. So. Fucking. Pumped.

The trailers seem to indicate that the movie only follows the graphic novels as a guideline. I'm sort of curious as to how different the movie is from the graphic novels, and if so, whether or not it's a bad thing (to all those who've read the books and watched a screening already).

Ashhong

ProudClod said:

The trailers seem to indicate that the movie only follows the graphic novels as a guideline. I'm sort of curious as to how different the movie is from the graphic novels, and if so, whether or not it's a bad thing (to all those who've read the books and watched a screening already).

as a guideline? some shots are frame by frame from the comic

but yea, the movie will follow the first 3 volumes pretty closely, and then go off kind of on its own for the last half. i believe this was done with the consent and help of O'Malley, and screenings are all pretty damn positive, so i wouldnt worry

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
Ashhong said:
as a guideline? some shots are frame by frame from the comic

but yea, the movie will follow the first 3 volumes pretty closely, and then go off kind of on its own for the last half. i believe this was done with the consent and help of O'Malley, and screenings are all pretty damn positive, so i wouldnt worry

Really? The Lucas Lee fight was in the second book. If what you said was the case, the fight would pan out pretty much like it did in the graphic novel. In the trailer, you could clearly tell that Ramona is at the fight, when she wasn't in the novel. The MTV sneak peak indicates that the battle with Lucas Lee is INCREDIBLY different from the one in the novel. In the end, the differences aren't that big. I found the new additions to the aforementioned quite humorous. But it just seems as though lots of liberties were taken with the story, and while the major plot points stayed the same, much of the "in-between" has been changed. The tiniest differences in adaptations bother me. This movie seems chock-full of them.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
ProudClod said:
Really? The Lucas Lee fight was in the second book. If what you said was the case, the fight would pan out pretty much like it did in the graphic novel. In the trailer, you could clearly tell that Ramona is at the fight, when she wasn't in the novel. The MTV sneak peak indicates that the battle with Lucas Lee is INCREDIBLY different from the one in the novel. In the end, the differences aren't that big. I found the new additions to the aforementioned quite humorous. But it just seems as though lots of liberties were taken with the story, and while the major plot points stayed the same, much of the "in-between" has been changed. The tiniest differences in adaptations bother me. This movie seems chock-full of them.
It's consciously a different story though. The Pilgrim book series isn't even finished yet, so it doesn't even try to follow the same entire story arc. The movie and books will likely end completely differently.

This movie will be its own thing compared to the books.. deal with it ;)

And for what it's worth the videogame isn't gonna stick to storyline canon either :lol I like that they are their own thing.

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
BocoDragon said:
It's consciously a different story though. The Pilgrim book series isn't even finished yet, so it doesn't even try to follow the same entire story arc. The movie and books will likely end completely differently.

This movie will be its own thing compared to the books.. deal with it ;)

And for what it's worth the videogame isn't gonna stick to storyline canon either :lol I like that they are their own thing.

Yeah, I'm just trying to accustom myself to the fact that it WILL be different. I don't want to go into Scott Pilgrim thinking that the first half of the movie will be exactly like the novels, because that would surely disappoint me. It just pisses me off when film writers and directors claim that their work stays as true to the source material as possible, when it's a blatant fucking lie. I really wasn't pissed with the differences in Watchmen because I read a ridiculous amount of interviews and reviews before the movie came out. I knew that certain things were cut and that the ending was changed. The writers spilled the beans, and I was prepared for the differences. Likewise, I'll probably enjoy Scott Pilgrim too, considering I'm educating myself on the differences beforehand. I just didn't want to walk into the movie thinking it was going to be exactly like the novels. I wouldn't be able to enjoy it if I had to tell myself "this wasn't in the graphic novels!" every six seconds.

Empty

ProudClod said:

it's quite different, yes. it maintains the core of the story and themes, with the key characters and most general plot points the same, and there are a bunch of scene remakes. however it is liberal in how it uses the source material; it moves stuff, chops things out, changes key scenes and adds new stuff to the fiction. i'd also say the focus in the film is more directly on the action and just the ramona - scott relationship, whereas the comics go in much deeper on the relationship side for more characters and in capturing the mood of aimless twenty somethings, so there is an emphasis change as well as plot ones, and the character of scott is slightly different in the films thanks to micheal cera's interpretation. i thought it worked well personally, but i'm generally a fan of looser adaptations that do their own thing to best use the form, and as a big fan there was nothing to me that felt "wrong" or offensively unfaithful from the first five book stuff.

Firestorm

Just binged on all five volumes as a part of my Canada Day celebrations and enjoyed them quite a bit. I'm looking forward to this movie now. Need to drag my friends to see it =)

index.php

Whoo :v

Ashhong

ProudClod said:

Jesus dude, they arent going to copy every single frame. The Lucas Lee fight would have been boring as fuck if they copied it from the comic. I said some frames were exact copies, not all. I didn't realize you were so picky. Just because they change some sequences doesnt mean that it isnt "faithful" to the comic or its style. As a huge fan of the comic, this looks to be a pretty damn faithful adaptation. I believe all of the changes have O'Malley's approval, so its all good to me.

Jintor

After the crushing disappointment of The Last Airbender, I'm just glad this movie exists and i s getting pretty positive pre-release impressions.

If it doesn't live up to my expectations I'm gonna have to go become one of Scott Pilgrim's Evil Ex-Fans.

Hopefully I'll at least get miniboss status

TimeKillr

SketchTheArtist said:
Just got my tickets for the Montreal premiere for Fantasia on July 27th! Woo-woo! :D

Bastard! I know how you got em too...

Hopefully the guy at work who has.. connections... will get some for us.

ProudClod said:
Yeah, I'm just trying to accustom myself to the fact that it WILL be different. I don't want to go into Scott Pilgrim thinking that the first half of the movie will be exactly like the novels, because that would surely disappoint me. It just pisses me off when film writers and directors claim that their work stays as true to the source material as possible, when it's a blatant fucking lie. I really wasn't pissed with the differences in Watchmen because I read a ridiculous amount of interviews and reviews before the movie came out. I knew that certain things were cut and that the ending was changed. The writers spilled the beans, and I was prepared for the differences. Likewise, I'll probably enjoy Scott Pilgrim too, considering I'm educating myself on the differences beforehand. I just didn't want to walk into the movie thinking it was going to be exactly like the novels. I wouldn't be able to enjoy it if I had to tell myself "this wasn't in the graphic novels!" every six seconds.

Yeah definitely because that's fucking stupid.

Go and watch some decent novel/comic to movie adaptations that aren't sin city or 300 or whatever. There are places for that kind of frame by frame thing but you are doing a great injustice to the art of film by thinking it should just be the comic reshot. It's immature thinking, really, and the type of thinking that makes it hard for films like this to get made in the first place because you have to placate the rabid fans first and not people who honestly want a good movie.

TimeKillr said:
Bastard! I know how you got em too...

Hopefully the guy at work who has.. connections... will get some for us.

They're going on sale for the general public tomorrow morning, so you don't really have to worry about it. ;-)

TimeKillr

SketchTheArtist said:
They're going on sale for the general public tomorrow morning, so you don't really have to worry about it. ;-)

Yeah. Well my workmate has tried calling today and it was busy all day, so... He'll get em tomorrow anyway.

TimeKillr said:
Yeah. Well my workmate has tried calling today and it was busy all day, so... He'll get em tomorrow anyway.

Yeah, I had to wait about an hour on the phone to get them. If you have the time, I'd suggest going down to the ticket booth at the McGill theatre.

So I've finished reading up through Volume 4, and I want to punch the life-face of anybody who says that Cera is not a good choice for Pilgrim. He's a great choice, and what I have seen in the trailers thus far has been Scott through and through.

harSon

Banned
Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
So I've finished reading up through Volume 4, and I want to punch the life-face of anybody who says that Cera is not a good choice for Pilgrim. He's a great choice, and what I have seen in the trailers thus far has been Scott through and through.

Could you expand on this? Maybe with some examples, because I've also read through Volume 4 and I'm just not seeing it. I believe he's perfect for the Scott seen in the beginning of Volume 1, but from what I'm seeing in the trailer, he doesn't embody the post-Romona Scott at all.

harSon said:
Could you expand on this? Maybe with some examples, because I've also read through Volume 4 and I'm just not seeing it. I believe he's perfect for the Scott seen in the beginning of Volume 1, but from what I'm seeing in the trailer, he doesn't embody the post-Romona Scott at all.

Scott is the ultimate laid-back hipster, and Cera has this really laid-back, relaxed style of delivery that almost perfectly matches the way that I hear and see Scott in my mind as I read it. There are many moments of extroversion, yes, but Cera in the trailer also seems to nail those moments.

The thing about Scott Pilgrim is that he's not really aware of why he is such a funny/awesome character; he just sort of is. He happens into things accidentally and in ways that push all boundaries of probability. Love him or hate him, Cera's defining quality as an actor is his unflappable earnestness; you will never catch him winking at the audience or delivering a line just to get a laugh, and I think that his innocence/earnestness is a perfect complement to Scott's personality.

XiaNaphryz

harSon said:
Don't forget the movie draws much more from the first 3 volumes and just takes smaller bits from the later ones, due to the timing with when the screenplay/script had to be written and how many of the comics were out at the time.

harSon

Banned
If I could distill Cera's performance in this film (or at least from what I've seen within the trailer) to a single term, and it's the basically the same word I'd use to describe most of his roles, it'd have to be awkward. He never seems to evolve past the character prior to his hooking up with Ramona; Cera's portrayal lacks the subtle confidence, charming goofiness, and is simply without the overall "Cool" factor of the Scott Pilgrim from the graphic novel.

The character is by no means a debonair but he's certainly not an unattractive, frail individual with a awkwardly reserved personality. He's supposed to be the best fighter in his province for God's sake, you expect me to believe that Michael Cera's bony ass is capable of anything beyond getting his ass kicked? Not only does Cera's performance not embody the character's personality, but he simply does not look the part. He seems incapable of being awesome, which is a HUGE problem for me, considering the fact that these types of moments are a staple of the character in question.

Jintor

Yeah, well, haven'tseenfilm = can'tcommentjustyet.

For my money most of what we see in the trailer is of Cera/Scott getting the shit kicked out of him anyway, so I'll give Cera a chance to prove himself. Besides, I really don't mind Cera.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
have no idea what this is, saw the trailer and thought it looked kind of cool. will probably watch.

hamchan

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:

I disagree. Cera is good but he's not playing the same Scott Pilgrim as in the comics.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
harSon said:
If I could distill Cera's performance in this film (or at least from what I've seen within the trailer) to a single term, and it's the basically the same word I'd use to describe most of his roles, it'd have to be awkward. He never seems to evolve past the character prior to his hooking up with Ramona; Cera's portrayal lacks the subtle confidence, charming goofiness, and is simply without the overall "Cool" factor of the Scott Pilgrim from the graphic novel.

The character is by no means a debonair but he's certainly not an unattractive, frail individual with a awkwardly reserved personality. He's supposed to be the best fighter in his province for God's sake, you expect me to believe that Michael Cera's bony ass is capable of anything beyond getting his ass kicked? Not only does Cera's performance not embody the character's personality, but he simply does not look the part. He seems incapable of being awesome, which is a HUGE problem for me, considering the fact that these types of moments are a staple of the character in question.

I agree with some of what you are saying and get where you are coming from. Reading the books again I think Cera is a good fit for the role (Still wanted the kid they hired to play Young Neil).

Yeah, Scott is supposed to be this super awesome guy but he is also a totally clueless nerd. He rides a very fine line. Lets be honest here. He has hot women hanging off him, has all these bizarre adventures and most things just seem to go his way. 99% of this he is totally oblivious to when other characters acknowledge just how weird it all is.

The Lucas Lee fight shows that he can pull some of it off and we will have to wait to see the finished film to judge him properly.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Yo WTF I just saw the trailer today and had never heard of it before. Looks fucking awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom