• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
neogaf: people review shit before it comes out

cera's performance is rad, having read the comics and seen the movie i can say:

-i don't feel the trailers capture his performance well enough
-there is a scene very early on where cera gives this smug little smirk and it's Perfect Pilgrim. i was convinced then.

hamchan

jon bones said:

-there is a scene very early on where cera gives this smug little smirk and it's Perfect Pilgrim. i was convinced then.

I don't think anyone was trying to review it, just giving impressions based off the trailers. If what you say about the trailers not showing his true performance then I'm glad.

jon bones said:

28gwi0x.gif

Firehead

Can I join in this thing, as well?
1278425085036img5403549.jpg

So, yeah. I've never heard of this "Scott Pilgrim" thing until I saw the game trailer. Anamanaguchi and Paul Robertson? Sold. The movie trailer looks pretty good, too.
Fun stuff.

Firehead said:
Can I join in this thing, as well?

So, yeah. I've never heard of this "Scott Pilgrim" thing until I saw the game trailer. Anamanaguchi and Paul Robertson? Sold. The movie trailer looks pretty good, too.
Fun stuff.
READ THE COMICS!
Comics >>>>> any other scott pilgrim stuff.

jon bones said:

So. Rad.

Can't wait for the Ceraters to be all "Uh buh I uh buh buh"

;D

big ander

jon bones said:

Awesome. I really am excited for every incarnation of Pilgrim. It's great that they can take the story to three different mediums and give each its own twist.

harSon said:
If I could distill Cera's performance in this film (or at least from what I've seen within the trailer) to a single term, and it's the basically the same word I'd use to describe most of his roles, it'd have to be awkward. He never seems to evolve past the character prior to his hooking up with Ramona; Cera's portrayal lacks the subtle confidence, charming goofiness, and is simply without the overall "Cool" factor of the Scott Pilgrim from the graphic novel.

The character is by no means a debonair but he's certainly not an unattractive, frail individual with a awkwardly reserved personality. He's supposed to be the best fighter in his province for God's sake, you expect me to believe that Michael Cera's bony ass is capable of anything beyond getting his ass kicked? Not only does Cera's performance not embody the character's personality, but he simply does not look the part. He seems incapable of being awesome, which is a HUGE problem for me, considering the fact that these types of moments are a staple of the character in question.

I would say that Scott being the best fighter in the province is supposed to come as somewhat of a surprise in Volume One, so in that sense, I think that Cera has a very good look.

harSon

Banned
Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
I would say that Scott being the best fighter in the province is supposed to come as somewhat of a surprise in Volume One, so in that sense, I think that Cera has a very good look.

It coming as a surprise is likely the result of Scott's personality (nerd, laid back, lazy, care free, etc.), as opposed to the him having the body definition of a runway model.

TimeKillr

SketchTheArtist said:
Yeah, I had to wait about an hour on the phone to get them. If you have the time, I'd suggest going down to the ticket booth at the McGill theatre.

He managed to get tickets today using the official channels.

So I have my ticket! woot! I can't wait.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
_dementia said:
read the comics, they're great

Shit, I haven't purchased a comic since I was like 8 :lol.

Also, it may have been said but from the trailer I was getting some SERIOUS No More Heroes vibes. Or is No More Heroes biting the original comic?

Bananakin

Getting seriously pumped for this movie (and Volume Six). The more I reread the comics the more I fall in love with them. It's like they get better each time.

big ander

Tashi0106 said:

Also, it may have been said but from the trailer I was getting some SERIOUS No More Heroes vibes. Or is No More Heroes biting the original comic?
No lie, Scott Pilgrim is the first comic I ever purchased. Go for it.

Dresden

I read the interview with Cera and Wright on Wired--I was surprised to hear that Shigeru Miyamoto saw the film, too. Overall, I've never been so hyped.

And for the 'game is art' crowd, Wright says old Nintendo games definitely are art.

Tashi0106 said:

I need to play through No More Heroes already.

Dresden said:
I read the interview with Cera and Wright on Wired--I was surprised to hear that Shigeru Miyamoto saw the film, too. Overall, I've never been so hyped.

And for the 'game is art' crowd, Wright says old Nintendo games definitely are art.

This is in line with my belief that if games ARE art (not convinced that they are, but IF they are), they are art when they focus on fun, engaging gameplay and not when they make you sit through their usually lackluster stories.

So hyped for this movie, though. It seems like it will be awesome.

HiResDes

I'm not into reading and shit :lol....I wonder if I will be able to enjoy this film as much as you guys...It worked to my advantage when I first saw "The Watchmen."

Ashhong

brandonh83 said:
I hope Kendrick puts her spectacular tits on display in this movie. Lots of cleavage would be fine.

:lol that would be great but i would be very surprised. shes not exactly a major character. hopefully wright put her in a few more scenes towards the end. maybe wallace gets super drunk and tries to have sex with her!

MNC

HiResDes said:
I'm not into reading and shit :lol....I wonder if I will be able to enjoy this film as much as you guys...It worked to my advantage when I first saw "The Watchmen."
I liked Watchmen before and after reading the graphics novel. The movie made me read it, actually.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Ashhong said:
:lol that would be great but i would be very surprised. shes not exactly a major character. hopefully wright put her in a few more scenes towards the end. maybe wallace gets super drunk and tries to have sex with her!

:lol I would like to see that scene. I'm happy just with MEW in this movie to be honest, that shot of her from the bedroom scene in the trailer is just awesome. Few more seconds of that is all I need! :D

Foob

fuuuuck there's gonna be a make your own t shirt booth manned by cera, wright, and some others from the movie during comic con!!

definitely gonna have to go there! Also, will be going to this:

Universal: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World— Genre-bending filmmaker Edgar Wright (Hot Fuzz), graphic novel author Bryan Lee O'Malley, and the cast of Universal Pictures' Scott Pilgrim vs. the World provide a sneak peek of summer 2010's epic of epic epicness. Joining Wright will be our hero, Scott Pilgrim (Michael Cera of Superbad); Scott's two current girlfriends, Ramona Flowers (Mary Elizabeth Winstead of The Thing) and Knives Chau (Ellen Wong of Unnatural History); his band, SEX BOB-OMB: Kim Pine (Alison Pill of Milk) and Stephen Stills (Mark Webber of Broken Flowers); SEX BOB-OMB super-fan Young Neil (Johnny Simmons of Jennifer's Body); Scott's awesome roommate, Wallace Wells (Kieran Culkin of Igby Goes Down); and four of Ramona's seven evil exes: Matthew Patel (Satya Bhabha of Fair Game), Todd Ingram (Brandon Routh of Superman Returns), Gideon Graves (Jason Schwartzman of Funny People) and Roxy Richter (Mae Whitman of Parenthood); plus Scott's younger sister, Stacey Pilgrim (Anna Kendrick of Up in the Air), and the obnoxious Julie Powers (Aubrey Plaza of Parks and Recreation). Q&A to follow. Hall H

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
brotkasten said:

Nope, looks like that's all changed -

Canada 27 July 2010 (Fantasia International Film Festival)
Australia 12 August 2010
Canada 13 August 2010
Ireland 13 August 2010
Italy 13 August 2010
USA 13 August 2010
UK 25 August 2010
Iceland 27 August 2010
Netherlands 16 September 2010
Spain 24 September 2010
Finland 1 October 2010
Norway 1 October 2010
Estonia 8 October 2010
France 20 October 2010
Singapore 28 October 2010
Malaysia 11 November 2010
Germany 6 January 2011

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0446029/releaseinfo

FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU--

LCfiner

While I'm excited about seeing Scott Pilgrim in theaters, I'm actuallymore excited at the idea of another Edgar Wright movie coming out. I loved Shaun and Hot Fuzz and their manic cutting style so I'm just happy to see another one of his flicks, regardless of the characters.

that it happens to be Scott Pilgrim is just a bonus for me.

Jedeye Sniv said:

Australia 12 August 2010
Canada 13 August 2010
Ireland 13 August 2010
Italy 13 August 2010
USA 13 August 2010
UK 25 August 2010
Iceland 27 August 2010
Spain 24 September 2010
Finland 1 October 2010
Norway 1 October 2010
Estonia 8 October 2010
France 20 October 2010
Germany 6 January 2011

FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU--
Well, a delay of two weeks is not that bad. But holy shit @ Germany. :lol :lol :lol The release is in 2011? After Singapore and Malaysia? Really? :lol Can someone explain that?

twofold

UK gaffers.. If you live near one of these cinemas, you're in luck! Free tickets and you get to see the film early.

Sheffield is the closest to me, but it's still over an hour away, so I'm passing on this. Bah.

Anyway..

http://www.tellten.co.uk/
Code is 603366

Birmingham Broad Street, Cineworld Information Tuesday 17 Aug 6.30 PM
Bolton, Cineworld Information Tuesday 17 Aug 6.30 PM
Bradford, Cineworld Information Tuesday 17 Aug 6.30 PM
Bristol, Cineworld Information Tuesday 17 Aug 6.30 PM
Cambridge, Cineworld Information Tuesday 17 Aug 6.30 PM
Cardiff, Cineworld Information Tuesday 17 Aug 6.30 PM
Crawley, Cineworld Information Tuesday 17 Aug 6.30 PM
Dundee, Cineworld Information Tuesday 17 Aug 6.30 PM
Edinburgh, Cineworld Information Tuesday 17 Aug 6.30 PM
Enfield, Cineworld Information Tuesday 17 Aug 6.30 PM
Glasgow Renfrew Street, Cineworld Information Tuesday 17 Aug 6.30 PM
High Wycombe, Cineworld Information Tuesday 17 Aug 6.30 PM
Liverpool, Cineworld Information Tuesday 17 Aug 6.30 PM
Milton Keynes, Cineworld Information Tuesday 17 Aug 6.30 PM
Nottingham, Cineworld Information Tuesday 17 Aug 6.30 PM
Shaftesbury Avenue, Cineworld Information Tuesday 17 Aug 6.30 PM
Sheffield, Cineworld Information Tuesday 17 Aug 6.30 PM
Wandsworth, Cineworld Information Tuesday 17 Aug 6.30 PM
West India Quay, Cineworld Information Tuesday 17 Aug 6.30 PM
Wolverhampton, Cineworld Information Tuesday 17 Aug 6.30 PM

Enjoy!

Jedeye Sniv said:

Australia 12 August 2010
Canada 13 August 2010
Ireland 13 August 2010
Italy 13 August 2010
USA 13 August 2010
UK 25 August 2010
Iceland 27 August 2010
Spain 24 September 2010
Finland 1 October 2010
Norway 1 October 2010
Estonia 8 October 2010
France 20 October 2010
Germany 6 January 2011

FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU--

Still need my early Toronto screening. Toronto-GAF assemble!!!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
brotkasten said:
Well, a delay of two weeks is not that bad. But holy shit @ Germany. :lol :lol :lol The release is in 2011? After Singapore and Malaysia? Really? :lol Can someone explain that?

Something to do with having to dub German all over it probably.

Looks like Pretty much everyone after UK to see this as a download. Would be interesting to see the amount of money it pulls in vs stats of this happening.

catfish said:
Something to do with having to dub German all over it probably.
Well yeah, but other countries like Italy (August 13) or France (October 20) have dubs as well.
catfish said:
Looks like Pretty much everyone after UK to see this as a download. Would be interesting to see the amount of money it pulls in vs stats of this happening.
I'm sure you can buy the BD in October or November.

DoctorWho said:
Did he piss in your cornflakes this morning? How's your acting career going?

Much better than your sarcasm. If you enjoy people who do not respect the acting profession more power to you. I am entitled to my opinions, if you don't like it cry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom