• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ajemsuhgao said:
I didn't say I've seen the movie and that you should give the movie a chance. I'm saying you have bad taste, if seeing these trailers makes you completely write off the movie.

$10 and about 2 hours is a lot to waste on something that looks like its trying way to hard to be cool.

SalsaShark said:
Thing is, it succeeds.
Well I guess we will all find out if this is true whenever this movie actually comes out. Except for me. A three min trailer already pisses me off, doubt I could stand the whole movie.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Spire said:
I have a feeling I'm really going to hate this. It looks like the kind of movie hipsters masturbate to, the trailers for it make me want to vomit.
You don't like movies hipsters like? or do you mean movies by major studios MARKETED to hipsters.

Because one implies you hate P.T. Anderson, Wes Anderson and the Coens and the other implies you are like most hipsters.
Either way, its a weird thing to say.
Firestorm said:
I'd say all three were targeted from the first page of the first book.
They are all the same breed and people who don't know this are the worst hipsters at all. I'm so tired of people being paranoid and pissed off about hipster this and hipster that. Its gotten to the point where half of gaf sounds like they proudly sport neck beards, hate nerdy shit and listen to butt rock...

Its lost all meaning and railing against it is like railing against the word "cool"

I mean, the beatles were hipsters... am I supposed hate them now? They even had weird hair

Yeah, saying that something is for hipsters, like calling something pretentious, is the new way to say something derogatory about something without actually saying anything substantive.

And Scott Pilgrim is not for hipsters.

Firestorm

Staccat0 said:
They are all the same breed and people who don't know this are the worst hipsters at all. I'm so tired of people being paranoid and pissed off about hipster this and hipster that. Its gotten to the point where half of gaf sounds like they proudly sport neck beards, hate nerdy shit and listen to butt rock...

Its lost all meaning and railing against it is like railing against the word "cool"

I mean, the beatles were hipsters... am I supposed hate them now? They even had weird hair
Agreed. The hipster hate shit is really getting old.

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
Yeah, saying that something is for hipsters, like calling something pretentious, is the new way to say something derogatory about something without actually saying anything substantive.

And Scott Pilgrim is not for hipsters.
Going purely on trailers and not the books since I haven't read them and would probably feel they work better as comics.

I feel like the movies feel and look way to zany. Theres a lot of visual stuff going on thats there to be cool and referential. Like the KO that flashes when he hit that guy. The dialogue seems very zanny and kind of not real world grounded. Like the people are talking super cool and know they are saying something funny and not normal. That style works for some things and appeals to some people. For me though its unappealing. A lot of the visual look looks way to much nerd pop cool influenced, which I'm not digging that much. I hate to say it , but yes it looks like its trying to be cool. That dosen't work for me. The movies stylings are just not my cup of tea.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Rahxephon91 said:
Going purely on trailers and not the books since I haven't read them and would probably feel they work better as comics.

I feel like the movies feel and look way to zany. Theres a lot of visual stuff going on thats there to be cool and referential. Like the KO that flashes when he hit that guy. The dialogue seems very zanny and kind of not real world grounded. Like the people are talking super cool and know they are saying something funny and not normal. That style works for some things and appeals to some people. For me though its unappealing. A lot of the visual look looks way to much nerd pop cool influenced, which I'm not digging that much. I hate to say it , but yes it looks like its trying to be cool. That dosen't work for me. The movies stylings are just not my cup of tea.
I'm a bit worried about the nostalgic cues myself. I don't tend to be a person who is nostalgic and I don't get a jolt out of recognizing a reference (see: me talking shit in any family guy thread ever) but I think the general look of the film is impressive. The use of colors, the set design the whole package seems impressive.
I did sort of dislike Juno and other movies whose characters are too clever and snarky for their own good, but this movie isn't trying to suspend my disbeleif. Its more like Star Wars or Indiana Jones where its not going for realism in the least. In cases such as these I can often forgive/enjoy a world populated by clever joke spitters. That said, I didn't really get that vibe from the trailers anyway. Seemed like standard comedy dialgue to me.

But yeah, when articulated I can see your concerns and share some of them. I'm hoping this movie is pretty good though, because... well, I like to see good movies and I hope they are all good!:D

Odrion said:
because scott pilgrim is in a band and gets laid
5cdtea.gif

MNC

Halycon said:
That's knives?
Yeah, and her other look is way better. The one where she asks if scott can come to the door.

Edit: Oh wow the knives footage in the featurette is great. She's spot on!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
MNC said:
Yeah, and her other look is way better. The one where she asks if scott can come to the door.

Edit: Oh wow the knives footage in the featurette is great. She's spot on!
Impressions from early screenings were pretty unanimous on Knives being awesome throughout.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I suppose the thing about Scott Pilgrim to me is that it comes across as satirizing what people accuse hipsters of being. Scott himself is basically the anti-hipster hipster; he does things that would make him the ultimate hipster except he's way too naive and innocent and truly blind about his self. Meanwhile, all of the evil ex boyfriends are themselves massive hipsters, yet also shown to be clueless doofuses in their own way because of the very fact.

Really, the only 100% authentic hipster hero in the series is arguably Wallace Wells, who acts too cool for school and knows it, but his hipster exterior is betrayed by the fact that he is actually a nice guy and at key points in the story drops the charade and gets real. (Perhaps not as clear in his few scenes in the movie trailer.)

Generally, I think what a lot of people won't get about the Pilgrim comics is that O'Malley evidently set out to write up a contemporary setting in which all these things, such as nerdom, video games, awkward kids trying to be cool, hipsters, and whatnot, are mixed together because that's actually real life right now. When a lot of people range against the hipster meme, they seem to act as if they wish to live in a sterilized reality where they can pretend that something which bugs them doesn't exist. "Growl, get those hipsters out of my movie about contemporary kids! I hate hipsters!"

One reason why so many people like the comics is underneath the surreality and health bars above people's heads they're surprisingly honest about the contemporary 20-something. The people they know, what their friends, rivals, and haters are like, and the general mood of their life.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
O'Malley went on a rather long rant on his Twitter account when all the hipster comments started coming out after the first trailer. They pretty much were all along the lines of "WTF is a hipster and why do people keep bringing it up." Shortly after he sarcastically kept going on about how all he does is focused on the hipster crowd.

Rorschach

Firestorm said:
I don't get how people don't think Cera is fit for this role.
Also Julie Flowers is perfect. <3 Plaza on Parks & Rec
I don't get how people think Cera is fit for this role.
Also, I think you mean "Powers." ;)

Firestorm

Rorschach said:
I don't get how people think Cera is fit for this role.
Also, I think you mean "Powers." ;)
Yes Powers x.x

Idunno man. Nerdy, awkward, white kid from Ontario being played by nerdy awkward, white kid from Ontario just seems to fit.

Altazor

"we haven't finished business, I and he."
"he and me"
"...now don't you talk to me about grammar!"

:lol :lol

so glad to see Todd's cheesy-craptacular moments are in the movie

and LOL @ Ninja Ninja Revolution. Knives looks really cute during those moments.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
RobotNinjaHornets said:
"I'm in lesbians with you"
"...what?" :lol

Ramona's what would make a great avatar

To be honest, I'm a little sad they spoiled that callback in the trailer, as it made me really laugh and now when I see the movie it probably won't get as big a laugh from me again. A tiny gripe though and it still makes me incredibly excited to see the movie.

Iceman

Wa.. I thought comic con was in Las Vegas now..

Darn, i'll be out of town that weekend. Otherwise, I would have liked to drop by* just to see the spectacle of it all.
*I know the registrations are all sold out.

Salsa

Love that mash-up.

I really like Michael Cera during "youll pay for your crimes against humanity" for some reason. Im so damn confident he`ll be great. Cant believe the hate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom