• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.
brandonh83 said:
son of a bitch

Universal is trying a new marketing strategy after their success with super early Despicable Me screenings I think. They rarely have screenings here, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it! One week from tonight.

Ashhong

I am not feeling Ramona =X

She seems very...tomboyish, at least in that clip. Maybe its that tracksuit. Shes got like no curves man...

polyh3dron said:
This movie looks so awesome, but it is going to bomb so hard.

Just like Speed Racer, for some of the same stylistic reasons.

I think it has more basic appeal than Speed Racer.

For the record, I thought the same thing before I saw the throngs at all the Vol. 6 midnight releases. It won't do Inception numbers, but it's not going to bomb at all.

jett

D-Member
Ashhong said:

She seems very...tomboyish, at least in that clip. Maybe its that tracksuit. Shes got like no curves man...

Wright has seemingly made his damnedest to make that actress as ugly as possible*. Actually most of the female characters look really unattractive in the movie.

*could just be the wigs, which really really really don't suit Winstead

Solo

Ashhong said:

winstead2.jpg

Ashhong

i dont see that in the trailer!

also its the way she talks in that clip. ps. im speaking only of that last clip that Plainview posted up.

KingDirk

Those clips are just fantastic. The look of this movie is just great, and I'm actually really digging Cera.

Hype train continuing apace.

Ashhong said:
i dont see that in the trailer!

also its the way she talks in that clip. ps. im speaking only of that last clip that Plainview posted up.

I kinda see where your coming from, even in that pic she's not as curvy as Ramona is drawn. With the said Mary is still utterly hot so it's no biggie for me.

Blader

jett said:
Wright has seemingly made his damnedest to make that actress as ugly as possible*. Actually most of the female characters look really unattractive in the movie.

*could just be the wigs, which really really really don't suit Winstead

You'd best not be calling Anna Kendrick unattractive.

MNC

About the book covers: I recently found out there are multiple covers for most books. One with a larger art and number and one with smaller art and number. Is there any difference between them besides price?

Edit: Just saw the clip :lol :lol :lol The zoom in is a perfect translation from the comic :lol

BenjaminBirdie said:
I think it has more basic appeal than Speed Racer.

For the record, I thought the same thing before I saw the throngs at all the Vol. 6 midnight releases. It won't do Inception numbers, but it's not going to bomb at all.
Most of my friends are non-geek mainstream types (the ones you need to put up good numbers at the box office) and in the last few times I have gone to movies with them, when the Scott Pilgrim trailer plays they, along with the rest of the theater laugh at how stupid the movie looks.

Yeah anecdotal, I know but still.

KingDirk

A lot of my college-aged friends are getting hyped for this movie, which means I'm doing my job right.

And by 'my job' I mean being a fuckin' pushy nerd.

polyh3dron said:
Most of my friends are non-geek mainstream types (the ones you need to put up good numbers at the box office) and in the last few times I have gone to movies with them, when the Scott Pilgrim trailer plays they, along with the rest of the theater laugh at how stupid the movie looks.

Yeah anecdotal, I know but still.

*shrugs*

I don't know anyone, geek or otherwise, who was genuinely excited about Speed Racer. I ended up seeing it long after release and being amazingly surprised by it. I know a lot of people who are genuinely excited about Scott Pilgrim.

harSon

Banned
polyh3dron said:
This movie looks so awesome, but it is going to bomb so hard.

Just like Speed Racer, for some of the same stylistic reasons.

Unfortunately, I think this is going to be the case. I try to refrain from anecdotal evidence but it seems my friend, who I introduced to Scott Pilgrim a few months back, and myself, are the only two people that I know of out a few dozen that think this film doesn't look awful or overly cheesy. I can't say that I blame them, if I wasn't a fan of the comic and didn't know that this film was directed by Edgar Wright, basically the typical casual film goer, I'm not so sure that I'd want to see the film judging from the advertisements.

I could see it doing Kick-Ass type numbers, which were actually not too bad, but I'm not sure if that'd be enough to recoup the budget. Hopefully word of mouth can carry it.

Jintor

That clip was awesome.

If this movie bombs it's only more evidence that people have bad taste

/edit Is it just me, or does it seem more and more that this is one of those movies that people will hate the sound of but then probably love it once they see it?

I just personally don't think people realize the difference between typical comic book audience hype/appeal and the appeal that Scott Pilgrim has, demographic-wise. I didn't myself until Monday night. It's not going to be constrained by the kind of laser-focus appeal of a movie like Kick-Ass. It's not going to do unbelievable numbers, but I don't think it's going to bomb. It appeals to a lot more types of people than hyper-violent, hyper-mature, hyper-male bombs like Kick Ass and Watchmen.

ezekial45

Banned
AgentWhiskersX said:
Will this be the final theatrical cut or the same cut people have watched since earlier this year?

It'll be the final theatrical cut most likely. Since the movie was completed last week.

Jintor said:
Is it just me, or does it seem more and more that this is one of those movies that people will hate the sound of but then probably love it once they see it?
It appears that way to me too.

Hope I'm wrong about it bombing tho.

Altazor

IGN (heh) has a "new" clip (actually an extended version of Todd's bad pun): http://movies.ign.com/dor/objects/8...the-world/videos/scott_pil072210.html?show=hi

VOLUME 6 SPOILER!!
Is that... a line from Vol.6? I know the Scott/Todd fight didn't go that way, there wasn't any talk with Ramona beforehand... and, well, Ramona said "I've dabbled in being a bitch" to Scott on that Dream Desert-land or something when he got killed by Gideon. Maybe that was one of those "reshoots" Edgar said he was doing a while ago.

Altazor said:
IGN (heh) has a "new" clip (actually an extended version of Todd's bad pun): http://movies.ign.com/dor/objects/8...the-world/videos/scott_pil072210.html?show=hi

VOLUME 6 SPOILER!!
Is that... a line from Vol.6? I know the Scott/Todd fight didn't go that way, there wasn't any talk with Ramona beforehand... and, well, Ramona said "I've dabbled in being a bitch" to Scott on that Dream Desert-land or something when he got killed by Gideon. Maybe that was one of those "reshoots" Edgar said he was doing a while ago.

I'm thinking so. I think I've heard that line in a commercial too.

In one of the remixes, there's a clip of Ramona standing behind Scott, holding his fists like she's punching for him. Is "Free Scott Pilgrim" in this movie too!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom