• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

Variety said:
That said, Cera makes it hard to care; while his comic timing is impeccable, he's finally played the wilty wallflower one too many times. Watching Culkin steal every scene he's in, it's hard not to wonder how much less predictable he -- or any number of non-wet-noodle alternatives -- might have been in Scott's shoes.

People are going to latch on to that an awful lot.

variety said:
An example of attention-deficit filmmaking at both its finest and its most frustrating, "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World" blends the styles of videogames, sitcoms and comicbooks for a mostly hollow, high-energy riff on the insecurities of young love.

ugh im getting speed racer vibes

i like the comics decently enough but im thinking the movie might just be too much for me.

Archurro

sorry to post again, but anyone find a good place to buy a shirt that isn't too expensive? Hopefully in the $20 price range and in time before the movie goes on the box office.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Io9's short review

Pros:
-It's wonderfully shot
-Cera "really works"
-Kieran Culkin is fuck awesome (as expected)
-The minor characters are awesome too
-The music rocks

Cons:
-Not enough Kim (please, pleaaaase, fix it with the Director's Cut, kthxbye)
-Ending feels a bit forced (eh, not unlike the comic. I CAN LIVE WITH IT)
-Ramona is too passive (but Ramona is passive)

projekt84

Funky Papa said:
Io9's short review

Pros:
-Cera "really works"

So far, this has been the one thing that hasn't sat well with me. It just looks like Michael Cera being Michael Cera as Scott Pilgrim. Not him actually trying to become the role of Scott Pilgrim and actually take on his character.

will the movie cover everything from the volumes?
should i read them before checking out the movie, i wasn't too hyped in seeing this movie but after reading this thread and watching the trailer and clips, hype hype hype

Blader

friskykillface said:
will the movie cover everything from the volumes?
should i read them before checking out the movie, i wasn't too hyped in seeing this movie but after reading this thread and watching the trailer and clips, hype hype hype

The movie deviates from the books around volume 3.

Belfast

Anyone knocking the logic (or lack-thereof) clearly hasn't grown up with the logic (or lack-thereof) of comics and/or video games. To paraphrase, "It's juvenile to expect otherwise."

Solo

Dresden said:

Why shouldn't they? I for one would be glad to finally see reviewers start to call Cera on his utter lack of anything resembling talent.

Ashhong

projekt84 said:
So far, this has been the one thing that hasn't sat well with me. It just looks like Michael Cera being Michael Cera as Scott Pilgrim. Not him actually trying to become the role of Scott Pilgrim and actually take on his character.

omg i just noticed this! damn how come nobody has ever been bothered by this? cera is such a one note actor, he needs to go away!

SketchTheArtist said:

GREAT clip, even down the hot cocoa :lol :lol :lol

Solo said:
Why shouldn't they? I for one would be glad to finally see reviewers start to call Cera on his utter lack of anything resembling talent.
It sounds pretty faithful to the book, in which Wallace steals every scene he is in.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Ashhong said:
omg i just noticed this! damn how come nobody has ever been bothered by this? cera is such a one note actor, he needs to go away!
I think everyone has been complaining about that possibility since Cera was announced for the role.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Solo said:
Then you see other reviews stating "Cera 'really works'" though, making people trying to figure out who's entering the movie with a bias against Cera to begin with and actually think he does a good job or not (and if not, whether that bias was the primary motivator or not).

Fletcher

Just got finished with themovie. It was really really good. Cera is not a problem as Scott at all. My only complaint is that it moves a little too quickly.

Dresden said:
And yet:

Michael Cera really works as Scott Pilgrim. Like many fans of the books, I was fearful that Michael Cera would play Scott Pilgrim as an older, broker version of George Michael Bluth. But it turns out Cera is perfectly suited to the rapid-fire dialogue in Scott Pilgrim. Without any time to linger and sigh, Cera's delivery is tighter and more precise than what we're used to seeing from him. From the first scene, it was easy not to think of him as Michael Cera and to think of him as Scott Pilgrim, best fighter in Ontario.

http://io9.com/5594440/it-was-awesome-first-impressions-of-the-scott-pilgrim-vs-the-world

WARNING: That link has spoilers for both the books AND the movie.

Solo said:

He's not a great actor (Eisenberg got the talent, of the 'awkward actors'), but his comic timing is absolutely impeccable; plus, he doesn't laugh at his own jokes the way so many modern comics do. His doe-like innocence can only take him so far, but I think that Cera has worked very well in almost everything that he has done thus far. Plus, in Youth in Revolt, he showed us that he might ACTUALLY have some range, which was a nice discovery.

harSon

Banned
Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
He's not a great actor (Eisenberg got the talent, of the 'awkward actors'), but his comic timing is absolutely impeccable; plus, he doesn't laugh at his own jokes the way so many modern comics do. His doe-like innocence can only take him so far, but I think that Cera has worked very well in almost everything that he has done thus far. Plus, in Youth in Revolt, he showed us that he might ACTUALLY have some range, which was a nice discovery.

How exactly is that relevant within the context of acting?

harSon said:
How exactly is that relevant within the context of acting?

I'd say that it means a lot; great comedic acting is about sincerely pursuing a goal in the face of ludicrous circumstances, and part of that, in my opinion, is not breaking "the moment" by loudly broadcasting your jokes to make sure the audience gets them. That's why, for example, Buster Keaton and Bill Murray are considered two of the best comedic actors: they let the lines (or the actions, in Keaton's case) do the comedic legwork and instead concentrate on being sincere and in-the-moment. Now, Cera is not at THEIR level, but he has that same tendency toward understated honesty that makes comedic acting really work.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
9Tb1O.png

Altazor

Gideon Gordon Graves... what a dick.

(I can't fucking wait to see this movie, and I don't care about what the mainstream critics'll say. Fo' real.)

I already mentioned the movie in the "Movies that should have done better in the BO" (or something like that) thread. Two of my friends saw the trailers and both didn't like it. They're gamers and all, but one didn't like the visuals and thought is was awkward to watch and the other one has only hopes for the movie, because Wright directed it.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm seeing a ton of ads on t.v. now. I'm hoping for the best for this movie, but there seems to be a lot of people expecting the worst for it.

The Wrap also loved Cera:

Cera just kills it in every scene; he gets into your mind with his eyes, reacting to the absurdities swirling around him just enough to make you feel like, "OK, this is all very insane, but at least I'm not the only one who notices."

Cera's great, but the truth is that the casting is plain brilliant across the board in this film, and there are TONS of characters.

more praise:

Once you do, "Scott Pilgrim" is one of the most radical, fresh, what-the-heck-just-happened movies to come out of Hollywood in a long, long time. The best comparisons I can muster are the dream sequences in "The Big Lebowski," or the energetic chatter of "Pulp Fiction," or the whipsmart sight-gags of "Ferris Bueller's Day Off."

B.K.

I've seen the tv spot on a few times in the past couple weeks. The movie looks really horrible to me. I don't really see people that aren't already fans of the comics going to see the movie.

B.K. said:
I've seen the tv spot on a few times in the past couple weeks. The movie looks really horrible to me. I don't really see people that aren't already fans of the comics going to see the movie.

Shit, no sequel?

:lol

ezekial45

Banned
Friend of mine saw it. He's in his late thirties and he enjoyed the movie immensely. He usually hates "nerd movies", but he said he really dug it. He also mentioned the crowd he was with were really into it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
My GF and I were talking about this tonight at Starbucks. I brought up that they had the movie premier and stuff, and she was wondering how it's been received. I told her it's getting a lot of positive buzz, and we both were like can't wait!

She's currently starting Book 3 this week so the few weeks gives her time to finish all 6 before the movie hits! :D

Absolutely awesome film.

Just the perfect blend of action, story, hilarity, geek and soundtrack. Loved the 8-bit gaming/comic themes and references throughout it as well. Wasn't really expecting it to be as funny as it was either, but Scotts roomie brings the lols. Was afraid that it'd be overly hipster as well, but it was just enough to make parody of the 'culture' and ended up bringing flavour.

And it's based in Toronto. Semi-win.

(also the Universal logo at the start is the best Universal logo presentation I've seen in a Universal film. You'll see what I mean.)

Salsa

Dastardly Jerks said:
(also the Universal logo at the start is the best Universal logo presentation I've seen in a Universal film. You'll see what I mean.)

I think everyone knows about that by now :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom