• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.
God, I really like "Garbage Truck" by Sex Bob-Omb. I want to learn this song!

I'm kinda surprised that they didn't actually record "Launchpad McQuack" (that's not the title of the song!) for the movie. I mean, the chords and lyrics are there in the first book, that woulda been cool.

ultron87

So I was looking at my local theaters and it seems like they each have this playing on only one screen. But I guess that's about the best you can hope for with the Expendables out on the same day.

I really hope this movie is successful.

HAY GUYS I figured out the chords to "Garbage Truck" all by myself just now:

F, D#, G#, C

The the bridge is A#, then later it's A#, C#.

WHEEEEE!!!! TRUCK TRUCK TRUCK!

Edit: Damn I wish I had figured this out like an hour ago I would have submitted it with my comic in that SP VS Free Swag contest. :lol

It looks like the bad reviews are coming in.

Reviews Counted:46
Fresh:34
Rotten:12
Average Rating:7.5/10

The two that really got me:
Ignores the very charisma of the source material to mold something one-note and glossy...clip reel of console carnage, more tuned into surface delights than treating O’Malley’s material with the sincerity and breadth it deserves.
C-
http://www.brianorndorf.com/2010/08/film-review-scott-pilgrim-vs-the-world.html

Twilight for boys... It’s the indulgence of everything a not-quite-adult, no-longer-a-kid manchild could want from women...
"skip it"
http://www.flickfilosopher.com/blog/2010/08/081110scott_pilgrim_vs_the_world_rev.html

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
ultron87 said:
So I was looking at my local theaters and it seems like they each have this playing on only one screen. But I guess that's about the best you can hope for with the Expendables out on the same day.

I really hope this movie is successful.

Yep, same here. I guess this isn't gonna be on many screens. Seriously though....1 screen, wtf

Gooster said:
Anna Kendrick = Would.

Fun read, and damn, they already recorded the commentary for the DVD? I think that's like standard practice, but I usually tend to enjoy the ones recorded like after the movie's run because I'm weird like that.

Thanks!

I love the District 9 commentary, because it was recorded before it came out and Neill Blomkamp was worried it would be a terrible bomb. :lol

I'm going to see this with a group of coworkers at 11:50am on Friday but I'm like, really, really tempted to go to the midnight showing tomorrow night anyway. I want to see it again THAT bad.

Does anyone else find it hilarious how Armomd White ridiculed Inception for being an adolescent movie while praising this movie for its adolescence?

polyh3dron said:
Does anyone else find it hilarious how Armomd White ridiculed Inception for being an adolescent movie while praising this movie for its adolescence?
That's the joke.
He just assumes this one will not be universally loved by critics, so he is praising it ahead of time.

Dead

well not really...yet
polyh3dron said:
Not really. He means that Inception aims to be adult film, but is adolescent in its execution, while Scott Pilgrim is a film that thrives on its adolescence and revels in it.

whether you agree or not is another matter

DeathbyVolcano said:
That first one, brotkasten, is pretty apt. I greatly enjoyed the movie but it's definitely true.
I think it's all about expectations. I never expected that anyone could stuff all six books in a two hour movie and from what I've seen (and it feels like I already saw half of the movie), it looked like a really good adaptation. I mean, even BLOM worked with Wright on the movie.

brotkasten said:
I think it's all about expectations. I never expected that anyone could stuff all six books in a two hour movie and from what I've seen (and it feels like I already saw half of the movie), it looked like a really good adaptation. I mean, even BLOM worked with Wright on the movie.

Yeah, I agree. I don't feel short changed at all. It's different enough from the book that it works all the way through. Brilliant distillation of the original across the board.

In other news, I have now listened to "Threshold" 418 times.

This is the beginning of the song.

(
Can't help but imagine a giant green-black Sasquatch beating the dang out of two snake dragons while I listen to it,
AMIRITE? :D)

Dead

well not really...yet
Assembly Required said:
Nails it.
The real bugaboo in “Scott Pilgrim” is Scott Pilgrim, as Cera doesn’t play a specialized character with pages of behavioral nuance to pull from, but himself. Yet again. Cera’s stammering, one-liner routine is unforgivably stale, doing little to breathe life into Scott or the movie. Cera pulls off the action beats with gusto, but fumbles the sly chicanery of the character, turning Scott into a mentally challenged hero, lazily hitting feeble jokes instead of swimming around in the wondrous character dimensions provided by O’Malley.
Michael Cera playing Michael Cera again...

maharg

idspispopd
I have trouble seeing Scott from the book as having "wondrous character dimensions." He's pretty damn flat and empty as a character, imo. Which is why I think he works so well. He's like Link. You fill in the blanks with yourself.

DeathbyVolcano said:
Okay, now THAT part is bullshit. Cera is one of the strongest facets of the film. What a load of bunk.

Thats where I disagree. His performance was passable at best, overall the least interesting character in the movie. The supporting characters were the glue that held this movie together for me.

maharg said:
I have trouble seeing Scott from the book as having "wondrous character dimensions." He's pretty damn flat and empty as a character, imo. Which is why I think he works so well. He's like Link. You fill in the blanks with yourself.

Yeah, sounds like he's reading Scott Pilgrim as if it was Shakespeare. There's no depth to the character except the one brought by the characters surrounding him. He's shallow and incoherent.

big ander said:
This is going to bomb so hard.
Between the mediocre marketing and the mixed reviews, it's going to tank.

Mediocre marketing, are you fucking joking me? This has by far the best marketing for any Wright movie, and I see commercials for it almost every commercial break.

Decado

big ander said:
This is going to bomb so hard.
Between the mediocre marketing and the mixed reviews, it's going to tank.
While I wouldn't mind seeing it tank, I suspect it will do quite well. Given its audience, the quantity of advertising is sufficient (quality barely matters) and the film is flashy enough and getting pretty good reviews.

big ander

And I like the commercials too. But I feel like they don't 100% tell the audience what the movie is going to be. Every person I've shown a trailer/tv spot has not responded well. They think it's a straight up romcom with some lame fights in it.
I also had a friend who, from the marketing, thought it was a musical.

Nelo Ice

Banned
DeathbyVolcano said:
Mediocre marketing, are you fucking joking me? This has by far the best marketing for any Wright movie, and I see commercials for it almost every commercial break.

i think its having nice word of mouth too since its still the #1 trending topic worldwide on twitter

that and im tellin all my friend to watch it or im forcing them to watch it with me :lol

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So do those animation clips air on CN tonight? They said between 12 and 12:30 AM on Thursday, which is in an hour or so here on the west coast.

Foob

XiaNaphryz said:
So do those animation clips air on CN tonight? They said between 12 and 12:30 AM on Thursday, which is in an hour or so here on the west coast.
I'm assuming it's tomorrow night

AgentOtaku said:
my fears =/

Still lovin' the game though and dug the first book (haven't bought the rest yet)
I'm wondering if the people saying that after seeing this movie have actually watched anything Cera has ever been in, because he is not fucking playing the same character he always is. Ever since AD he has played a clumsy and socially awkward teenager that is unsure of himself and that is not what he plays in Scott Pilgrim, at all, period. There are points in the movie AND the book where Scott is whiny, and lazy, and doubts himself, but in the movie Cera's Scott is also cocky, funny, witty, self-assured, loud, smooth, tough, and brash - all things that "Cera playing Cera" do not entail.

Scarecrow

Just came back from it. I really liked it, but Cera just isn't Pilgrim. Every once in a while, Scott would threaten to break through, but the majority of the time it's Cera playing the exact same character.

The rest of the movie was pretty stellar, though, if you've read the comics. I have a nagging feeling there's some stuff in here lay audiences will be lost on for not having read the books.

The ending was
better than the book, too.

ps, Ramona is gorgeous. Hot damn.

Saw this yesterday, having not read the books.

Quite enjoyable! Rather funny and visually inventive, but perhaps trying to be a little too cool. Still, good film all round.

WordAssassin said:
I'm wondering if the people saying that after seeing this movie have actually watched anything Cera has ever been in, because he is not fucking playing the same character he always is. Ever since AD he has played a clumsy and socially awkward teenager that is unsure of himself and that is not what he plays in Scott Pilgrim, at all, period. There are points in the movie AND the book where Scott is whiny, and lazy, and doubts himself, but in the movie Cera's Scott is also cocky, funny, witty, self-assured, loud, smooth, tough, and brash - all things that "Cera playing Cera" do not entail.

That's nice to hear then.
And yes, I've seen quite a bit of Cera's movies and have never watched AD actually.
I dig the guys work sometimes ...it just seemed obvious and lazy to cast him as Scott as well, for one, he doesn't strike me as someone in their 20s, but I guess that's something else entirely :lol

AgentOtaku said:
That's nice to hear then.
And yes, I've seen quite a bit of Cera's movies and have never watched AD actually.
I dig the guys work sometimes ...it just seemed obvious and lazy to cast him as Scott as well, for one, he doesn't strike me as someone in their 20s, but I guess that's something else entirely :lol
He does a fine job. Something they changed from the book to the movie to illustrate what a different character he is playing then "Cera being Cera" is that, in the comics, Scott can not think up good comebacks to save his life. He flounders with them, often simply giving up before he completes the thought. It's a running gag throughout the series. In the movie, Scott is actually very clever with comebacks to all the evil exes. He is very wiley about how he fights Lucas Lee and tricks him into grinding the rail. He is fuming angry before fighting the twins. Cera is not playing Cera in this movie again. He just isn't. I've been rewatching Arrested Development all week, I just rewatched Superbad today, he is not the same character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom