• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing that bothered me was the
lack of Kim. I love her :'(

And yeah, the differences to the plot are extremely noticeable and may bother some diehard fans, but for a 2 hour movie, you can only fit in so much exposition. Wright, Bacall, and O'Malley did their best. It's very brisk, that's for sure.

ezekial45

Banned
DeathbyVolcano said:
The only thing that bothered me was the
lack of Kim. I love her :'(

And yeah, the differences to the plot are extremely noticeable and may bother some diehard fans, but for a 2 hour movie, you can only fit in so much exposition. Wright, Bacall, and O'Malley did their best. It's very brisk, that's for sure.
I agree, But I'm still impressed the amount of story they packed in.
Especially from Finest Hour.

TehOh

WordAssassin said:
I'm so pissed. I had the most incredible comic for your last contest, but I thought that the due date was Aug 4th, and it was Aug 1st. I checked on the 3rd and my life pretty much ended.

Would I be able to submit it for this contest? Because it is totally fucking awesome. To the max. Scott Pilgrim would think it was amazing!

Yeah, absolutely. That'll probably even give you a bonus, come picking time.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Uh-oh. Kendrick was on Leno to plug the film, and Leno said the movie was like Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

ezekial45

Banned
The movie gets MASSIVE bonus points for the Vegan Police.
I was shocked to see Thomas Jane and Cliffton Collins Jr. break through the wall and drain Ingram of his powers.

Zabka

Eye Drop said:
Saw it this morning. I came.

Twice.
CfEo3.gif

UnluckyKate said:
I just learn that Scott Pilgrim will come out october 20th in France.

Fuck this shit. This is looking way too cool. I'm hitting town tomorrow to find the comics.

Fuck my life. Only the first two volumes of the Scott are edited in France.

Volume 3 is scheduled for september.

TehOh said:
Yeah, absolutely. That'll probably even give you a bonus, come picking time.
My love for Scott Pilgrim is very strong so I went all-out for this contest. It's 6-pages long with a full color cover image :lol

Ok, TehOh, I posted a link to my submission in the comments of your contest blog post. But just to make sure, here it is again: Garrett Jackson VS The Clock!

I'd do a thumbnail of the whole thing here, but I don't know how to thumbnail images on GAF, so everyone will just have to click over to see it! Hope everyone likes it!

Dwayne

What was the song that played when Scott
jumps down from the stage after defeating the twins and looks at Knives as he's running to Ramona?
It was very mellow, very cool. Cheers

ezekial45 said:
The movie gets MASSIVE bonus points for the Vegan Police.
I was shocked to see Thomas Jane and Cliffton Collins Jr. break through the wall and drain Ingram of his powers.

Don't forget them high-fiving each other in the background when they're running off with a little 'Yeah!' that can be heard. :lol :lol :lol

Chorazin

It feels like the midnight premier is sooo far away but it's only tomorrow night! I'm so stoked!

I already told my friends that if they talk during the movie I will shank them. SHANK THEM HARD!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Armond White giving the film a good review may give a lot of people the wrong idea, and thus avoid it. :lol

DeathbyVolcano said:
Really quite awesome, but definitely had some pacing issues (that are completely understandable). Cera is wonderful in this, but Culkin hits it out of the fucking park.
Kieran Culkin is really good in general, he needs to be a bigger name.

DeathbyVolcano said:
He also hates a lot of great movies.
Exactly.
And I bet a lot of GAF will all of a sudden like White now that he has given this a positive review. Never mind the mountain of bullshit the man has done before.

jtb

Banned
Armond is one of my favorite critics just to read his opinions, even if I would never use them as a guide for which movies to see.

soyboy

PhoncipleBone said:
Exactly.
And I bet a lot of GAF will all of a sudden like White now that he has given this a positive review. Never mind the mountain of bullshit the man has done before.

I'm not going to give the man a pass for all of his past bullshit but I do think the review is one of the most succinct that I've read in a long time & a perfect analysis of why the film works.

He's hysterical, but he's also a self-proclaimed wordsmith without realizing he completely muddles his criticisms with his masturbatory vocabulary and fucking-what sentence structure. He's terrible.

harSon

Banned
DeathbyVolcano said:
He also hates a lot of great movies.

Actually, he tends to hate a lot of modern great movies. His tastes in films prior to 'post-classical cinema' is a thing of absolute beauty.

I like some of his stuff, but I HATE that he always compares every film he reviews to some previously low rated (if it is positive) or high rated (if it is a neg. comparison). It really distracts from his main points.

For example, in his Scott Pilgrim review he shits on QT and loves Graff's Bandslam. No critic in a proper analysis would make those jabs if he wasn't doing it to stir up attention.

jtb

Banned
I love Armond White, I love movies he hates, like Toy Story 3; I love directors he hates, like Quentin Tarantino. I love movies he loves, like Kung Fu Hustle, and I love directors he loves, like Spielberg.

If you think this about White giving Scott Pilgrim a positive review, then you're sadly mistaken. He's given some of my favorite movies of the past decade negative reviews (Zodiac, TWBB, TAOJJ). Once you forgive him for ruining the sacred tomato meter, he's really got some worthwhile opinions (especially on the depth of older movies he's seen) even if I don't personally agree with them.

harSon

Banned
Expendable. said:
I like some of his stuff, but I HATE that he always compares every film he reviews to some previously low rated (if it is positive) or high rated (if it is a neg. comparison). It really distracts from his main points.

For example, in his Scott Pilgrim review he shits on QT and loves Graff's Bandslam. No critic in a proper analysis would make those jabs if he wasn't doing it to stir up attention.

Shitting on Quentin Tarantino is controversial I suppose, but Bandslam is by no means a horrific film, quite the opposite actually.

Another interview with Wright.

iF: While few people saw how great he was in YOUTH IN REVOLT, do you think that SCOTT PILGRIM will finally show people that Michael Cera can break out of his mold?

WRIGHT: Michael knew the books already. And there are obviously things that are within his skill set that he loved doing in SCOTT PILGRIM especially because he's an amazing guitarist. It was also important for him to make sure he could pull off the fight scenes, and he worked very hard at that stuff. So there's an obvious level of fun in that in terms of bringing Michael out of his “comfort zone.” The flip side of that is that even though people are going to see different sides of Michael in the film, I still think it's weird in this day and age that people get criticized for that. I grew up on Woody Allen films during that stretch of great, funny movies with him in the lead that went from the late 1960's through to the early 80's. And if you're going to a film with Woody Allen, you want to see him play the same character. It's the character’s situation that changes in from movie to movie. That makes it a strange thing to pin a label on actors, even though Michael does get to do a lot of different things in this film.
iFMagazine.com: Interview: DIRECTOR EDGAR WRIGHT VS. 'SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom