• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
WordAssassin said:
He does a fine job. Something they changed from the book to the movie to illustrate what a different character he is playing then "Cera being Cera" is that, in the comics, Scott can not think up good comebacks to save his life. He flounders with them, often simply giving up before he completes the thought. It's a running gag throughout the series. In the movie, Scott is actually very clever with comebacks to all the evil exes. He is very wiley about how he fights Lucas Lee and tricks him into grinding the rail. He is fuming angry before fighting the twins. Cera is not playing Cera in this movie again. He just isn't. I've been rewatching Arrested Development all week, I just rewatched Superbad today, he is not the same character.

This.

Cera did a great job, especially with the crazy pacing the film has. I would agree that it wasn't Cera that held the film together, but the cast as a whole... Which is a good thing in my opinion.

Jintor

This has the most insane pacing of any movie I've seen for quite some time, and possibly ever. I mean that in a good way.

/edit I wonder if that fan review guy realises that there was, like, literally no way for Wright to do all the stuff O'Malley did in the two-hour timeframe he had.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
I never got around to reading the books and I've managed to avoid any spoilers for this so far. Doesn't seem like a movie where spoilers really matter, but I can't wait to see it at midnight anyways! :D

CassSept

Ah, sorry then. And I thought having 3 months delay on that was bad:lol
Now I'm actually surprised we get it earlier than Germany and Netherlands, by whole two months :eek:

Xater

Funky Papa said:
10th of december in Spain. They seem hell bent on destroying any kind of international momentum.

Well I can tell you that Univeral Germany is not seeing any money from me. I think I'll really just wait for the US release of the Blu-ray. I know I'm probably going to love this film and watch it a dozen of times anyway.

vitaminwateryum said:
I never got around to reading the books and I've managed to avoid any spoilers for this so far. Doesn't seem like a movie where spoilers really matter, but I can't wait to see it at midnight anyways! :D

I don't know how the movie plays the comic's events out, but the books actually do have a few spoiler-worthy moments, at least to me. Jesus Christ. This is out tomorrow. Can't. Fucking. Wait.

Ventrue

I loved it. Remarkable adaptation of the books.

In my view, Cera was not usual Cera. I don't think he was quite comic book Scott either, but he was definitely outside his normal zone.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Xater said:
Well I can tell you that Univeral Germany is not seeing any money from me. I think I'll really just wait for the US release of the Blu-ray. I know I'm probably going to love this film and watch it a dozen of times anyway.
Which is what I'll do unless I can find a theater that shows the subbed version. I hope the Blu-ray is region-free...

SketchTheArtist said:
For those that are still on the fence about the movie, HERE's a video with a clip from a fight at 3:44.

Just to give you an idea how much ass this movie kicks.

Jason Schwartzman is awesome. I'd love to see that as a bonus on the DVD. :lol

SketchTheArtist said:
For those that are still on the fence about the movie, HERE's a video with a clip from a fight at 3:44.

I like the Ninja Gaiden (original NES) moment at the end as they fly through the air.

What a bunch of bull.

Cera is not playing the same character in this, if you really think this you haven't watched anything else by him.

Sick of that bullshit line about Cera.

Movie is amazingly awesome by the way and really like ever other movie you should watch it and make up your mind yourself.

Solo

untoldhero said:
Sick of that bullshit line about Cera.

Its not bullshit though. I haven't seen Pilgrim, but if he actually takes on a different style, tone and cadence than usual, then thats the exception, not the rule.

Zozz

Banned
My gf and I are still on the fence for this one. I just feel like were going to spend the whole time face palming. This movie seems like it was a really niche target audience. We might just catch it on dvd.

SketchTheArtist said:

I am now a Jason Schwartzman fan :lol

Also that clip highlighted something wrong with most action films nowadays: in this you can actually tell what's going on in the fight. So many action films I've seen lately have loads of shakey cam and a ridiculous amount of cutting between shots. It's annoying.

Not that I see that many action films, but still, they all seem to have that >_>

big ander

Solo said:
Its not bullshit though. I haven't seen Pilgrim, but if he actually takes on a different style, tone and cadence than usual, then thats the exception, not the rule.
Youth In Revolt man.
And I don't get why it's a problem when it works so often. For his character in AD he acts under that style, and it's perfect. For Superbad he's mostly that style, but with higher-reaching goals. And it works. In YIR his character is so much less awkward. He's more confident in what he does and isn't timid about trying to get what he wants or mouthing off.
In Year One, he's awful, but I don't really know if that's his fault because every single facet of that movie is so completely bad. In Nick and Norah is falls short, but so does most of that movie.
And from the reviews in this thread and the numerous clips of the film, it sure seems like he's not "Cera playing Cera." So I can't wait to see what he does with the Pilgrim character.

The clips they've put online are definitely Cera playing Cera. I'm hoping the people who have seen the movie early and are insisting he's good in it aren't just blinded by the fact they've seen the movie early and/or are fanboys of the source material.

Wow, no theater anywhere near me is playing a midnight showing. That's really strange. I guess they don't expect this movie to draw in a crowd to be worth staying open that late.

big ander

butter_stick said:
The clips they've put online are definitely Cera playing Cera. I'm hoping the people who have seen the movie early and are insisting he's good in it aren't just blinded by the fact they've seen the movie early and/or are fanboys of the source material.
But they aren't at all. We've seen clips where Cera is pretty pissed, and parts of scenes where he verbally takes apart Todd Ingram and Lucas Lee. "Cera playing Cera" would awkwardly stare off into space and shuffle his feet.

big ander said:
But they aren't at all. We've seen clips where Cera is pretty pissed, and parts of scenes where he verbally takes apart Todd Ingram and Lucas Lee. "Cera playing Cera" would awkwardly stare off into space and shuffle his feet.

Don't bother. He's already started preemptively shifting blame to the person making the argument. He hasn't seen it, we have. We know he rocks in it, but apparently there's a good chance we're like blinded by something and stuff.

;D

RedStep

jon bones said:
my least favorite part of this forum are people who have strong opinions of stuff they haven't experienced

<Herp> You don't need to taste the shit to know that it tastes like shit. </Derp>

Tain

Cera doesn't seem bad in this.

I'm curious about this movie, but at the same time, I'd probably be more awkwarded out by the video game references than anything. major waja.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Don't bother. He's already started preemptively shifting blame to the person making the argument. He hasn't seen it, we have. We know he rocks in it, but apparently there's a good chance we're like blinded by something and stuff.

;D

You liking something isn't exactly a vote of confidence. It's more reassurance that it actually exists :)

I can only judge it on what I've seen. I said I hope you guys are right.

FnordChan

Tain said:
I'm curious about this movie, but at the same time, I'd probably be more awkwarded out by the video game references than anything. major waja.

The video game references are mostly visual (and audible) gags riffing on 25 year old NES games. It's all material that's been thoroughly absorbed by pop culture, especially for anyone under 40. In his interview with the AV Club, the director compares these gags to the sight gags and musical cues that were being thrown around in Looney Tunes, just with the references updated. Now, if you want to sit there and feel awkward about this, well, that's your problem. But, it's more likely that you and the rest of the audience will go, "Oh, hey, that's kinda like Mario" and chuckle, especially since the movie doesn't take the time to dwell on any of these references. It just throws 'em out there non-stop and keeps moving. So, yeah, I wouldn't let the geek factor stop you.

FnordChan, who thought Cera was just fine as Scott Pilgrim

Chorazin

Tain said:
Cera doesn't seem bad in this.

Why would be "awkwarded out" by video game references? I mean....you're on NeoGAF.

Maybe you're one of those self-hating gamers who doesn't want anyone to know they play games?

hamchan

Haven't seen it yet but just from the trailers I disagree with people who say Cera is just playing Cera and the people who say he is playing Scott perfectly.

I say he is playing an alternate universe Scott Pilgrim, not the same one as in the comics but certainly quite different from Cera's normal character.

Maybe my opinion will change when I watch the movie but I'll be going in expecting that.

Tucah

you speak so well
hamchan said:
Haven't seen it yet but just from the trailers I disagree with people who say Cera is just playing Cera and the people who say he is playing Scott perfectly.

I say he is playing an alternate universe Scott Pilgrim, not the same one as in the comics but certainly quite different from Cera's normal character.

Maybe my opinion will change when I watch the movie but I'll be going in expecting that.
Having seen the movie, that sounds about right - Cera isn't his normal self, and plays a good Scott, just not the exact same Scott as in the comics.

RedStep

Tain said:

The other people in the theater, they know that you get it. And they hate you for that.

derFeef

RedStep said:
The other people in the theater, they know that you get it. And they hate you for that.
:lol I just imagined the whole audience staring at this guy who giggled at a videogame reference.

Jintor

Ventrue said:
I loved it. Remarkable adaptation of the books.

In my view, Cera was not usual Cera. I don't think he was quite comic book Scott either, but he was definitely outside his normal zone.

NOW GO BUY THE BOOKS YOU FREELOADING JERKFACE

see if I lend you my books again

That's probably the best Scott Pilgrim vs the World review I've ever read. :lol

Cinema of the eternally pubescent hits a new low with director/co-writer Edgar Wright's adaptation of Bryan Lee O'Malley's graphic novel. Wright (director of "Shaun of the Dead" and "Hot Fuzz") trades in his hard-earned street credentials for a flagrant sell-out move that promises a reverse transformation from film to video game.
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World - Video Game Marketing Goes Big Screen - By Cole Smithey

derFeef

Pop art styled words like "WHUD" and "CRASH" shatter and blur across the screen during the comic book fight scenes as an off-kilter homage to the '60s "Batman" television series.
:lol This can´t be real.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom