• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Alucrid said:
I might be shot for this. So...this is sort of like a guy's Twilight?
The question, I've never dared to ask. You are a great man.

Alucrid

Banned
SpeedingUptoStop said:
Transformers is closer to that, tbh. This is like a guy's....well, i don't think there was a female comparison.

Eh, I was just thinking fairly generic/relatable character that goes off and does heroic things to get the girl he wants. I mean, I'm sure it'll be better in production, story, etc. but just the premise I guess. Like, guys can put themselves into that situation and think "Yeah, I could do that." and that draws them in.

Alucrid said:
Eh, I was just thinking fairly generic/relatable character that goes off and does heroic things to get the girl he wants. I mean, I'm sure it'll be better in production, story, etc. but just the premise I guess. Like, guys can put themselves into that situation and think "Yeah, I could do that." and that draws them in.
No. No. Just, no, not at all.

Alucrid

Banned
silverbullet1080 said:
No. No. Just, no, not at all.

Okay, maybe not "I can do that", perhaps "That would be awesome if that happened to me" or something similar. I suppose that that can be said for a lot of things, but it just seems to pop out with this one. To be honest I've never seen this before someone showing a book they picked up in the pickup and post thread, and I never read up on it before today after seeing the "x-amount of movies you have to see this year" thread.

gdt

Alucrid said:
:lol :lol :lol

Alucrid said:
Okay, maybe not "I can do that", perhaps "That would be awesome if that happened to me" or something similar. I suppose that that can be said for a lot of things, but it just seems to pop out with this one. To be honest I've never seen this before someone showing a book they picked up in the pickup and post thread, and I never read up on it before today after seeing the "x-amount of movies you have to see this year" thread.
Dunno, Scott goes through alot of really asinine situations through the whole series.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Alucrid said:

spoken like a guy who has no idea what he's talking about :lol

Alucrid said:
Oh shit. *prepares to hold the line*
The thing is that Twilight's appeal comes from Ed and Jacob being the perfect guys/boyfriends, in SP, nobody is perfect, not even close. Everyone is a douche in their own way.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Alucrid said:
If this is supposed to be a description of Scott Pilgrim, it would've been a better description of Transformers. :lol

Ashhong

silverbullet1080 said:
The thing is that Twilight's appeal comes from Ed and Jacob being the perfect guys/boyfriends, in SP, nobody is perfect, not even close. Everyone is a douche in their own way.

Kim is no douche!

Salsa

16j4mdd.png

Now everytime i turn on the computer its like:

ddpbgz.jpg

Costanza

Banned
Alucrid said:
uhh no

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Scott Pilgrim = Guy version of Twilight?

WHAT IN GOD'S NAME

Alucrid said:

No, Scott Pilgrim is not Spider-man.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Vox-Pop said:
Cera better not ruin the movie (please kid--learn how to act).

That girl with the blue hair next to Cera is hot-hot-hot!

haha Cera hate is awesome. he's pretty much great in everything he does.

KingDirk

Wait, is BSS doing the music for Crash and the Boys or The Boys and Crash? THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION.

Also, why oh why did I just start rereading the comics. My hype has careened straight back into being unbearable.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
catfish said:
Here comes the great debate yet again. Man the flame shields folks.

AgentWhiskersX said:
Cera is not bad by any stretch of the imagination. He just seems to be a one-trick pony.
As some one who likes Cera, I used to agree with this. After Youth in Revolt, not so much.

Also, with the soon to be infulx of SP avatars, gonna change mine up a bit.

Empty

Alucrid said:

The point is that a) he messes up a lot and is a rounded character with many flaws b) the doing heroic things here is done to mock ridiculous videogames/anime/manga etc storylines and tropes that do work like that. Trust me, if you read Scott Pilgrim you wouldn't think like that at all, it is nothing like how you describe.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Jet Grind Radio! said:
As some one who likes Cera, I used to agree with this. After Youth in Revolt, not so much.

Also, with the soon to be infulx of SP avatars, gonna change mine up a bit.
Haven't watched it yet. I'm assuming he brought something new to the mix?

LCfiner

AgentWhiskersX said:
Haven't watched it yet. I'm assuming he brought something new to the mix?

his alter ego character was awesome. no hemming and hawing, just a curt, foul mouthed mofo.

comic timing as an asshole was great.

thing is... that's not what Scott Pilgrim is about. so I'm still waiting for some footage to see how Cera's Pilgrim turns out. he better have some friggin' energy

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
only thing restricting my hype levels, is Cera. I've stopped liking him after he did that whole playlist movie thing. Now he's just a douche.

VariantX04

WordAssassin said:
His character in YiR was fucking incredible.

LCfiner said:
his alter ego character was awesome. no hemming and hawing, just a curt, foul mouthed mofo.

comic timing as an asshole was great.

thing is... that's not what Scott Pilgrim is about. so I'm still waiting for some footage to see how Cera's Pilgrim turns out. he better have some friggin' energy
I stand corrected I guess.

catfish said:

LOLOLOL. Hell no.

He seems like the right fit for this though. But I haven't read these comics so what do I know. I'm only really watching it because Edgar Wright made it. Best comedic director of the last decade.

VariantX04

Discotheque said:
LOLOLOL. Hell no.

He seems like the right fit for this though. But I haven't read these comics so what do I know. I'm only really watching it because Edgar Wright made it. Best comedic director of the last decade.
Well you've still got a couple of months to read the comics. You shouldn't miss them.

silverbullet1080 said:
Not Lisa Miller!

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Whatever happened to artwork on movie posters?

I mean if you're not even gonna play up the star's face, why not? I'm not even necessarily suggesting using O'malley's style; that poster would look a lot more epic if it was just the same photo, but painted.

I miss artwork on posters as well. Posters these days can be so boring. This one's pretty cool, but still doesn't hold a candle to something like this (I know the movie sucked):

MondoWolfmanB.jpg

Vinci

Danish
silverbullet1080 said:
The thing is that Twilight's appeal comes from Ed and Jacob being the perfect guys/boyfriends, in SP, nobody is perfect, not even close.

How is "When I'm around you, I want to suck your blood and eat you" equivalent to being the perfect boyfriend?? Beyond the obvious sexuality inherent in such a line.

I love that poster. Absolutely love it.

This is going to make me finally bite the bullet and pick up the first book. Thanks GAF! :D

VariantX04

I AM JOHN! said:
I love that poster. Absolutely love it.

This is going to make me finally bite the bullet and pick up the first book. Thanks GAF! :D
You will be floored at how good it is.

83 second Scott Pilgrim trailer to arrive with Kick-Ass:
Even though it’s scheduled against Clash of The Titans, Kick Ass may be about to beat expectations. And among the audience, odds are a lot of comic book fans will be lining up to see the movie. But now they have another reason.

One minute, twenty-three seconds of Scott Pilgrim Vs The World, the new movie from Edgar Wright based on the Bryan O’Malley comic book, will play before the main film.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom