• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
wRATH2x said:
Michael Cera just doesn't work as Scott Pilgrim.

Thats George Michael fighting the evil ex's, not Scott Pilgrim. But the movie looks great though.

oh you saw it already? i can't wait, i'm seeing it tonight

daegan

Completely perfect. Completely. Was worried about Michael Cera right up to the "gonna take them apart" line, which blew me away.

God.

I just want to scream its so good.

Salsa

im just gonna quote myself

SalsaShark said:
HOLD ME
PLEASE
HOLD ME
IM SHAKING

i know i wouldnt be disappointed

edit: coolest thing #165: Gideon`s 8-bit effect with the sword.

2ia4cbo.png

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
wRATH2x said:

Thats George Michael fighting the evil ex's, not Scott Pilgrim. But the movie looks great though.
Plenty of reviews out there seem to all say that Cera works out perfectly fine. We'll see.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Meh...

Visuals, and cinematics look awesome. As good as a visualized Scott Pilgrim could possibly ever look.

Cera.. blegh. I'm sorry to everyone who likes him. He's honestly not a bad actor at all, but I think it was a casting mistake. His soft spoken, light voice, and wavy hair do not befit the character at all. In all honesty I think he was chosen to give some familiarity to the movie for those not familiar with the source. Fair enough, but I feel like there is probably a better match out there than him.

XiaNaphryz

Extollere said:
Meh...

Visuals, and cinematics look awesome. As good as a visualized Scott Pilgrim could possibly ever look.

Cera.. blegh. I'm sorry to everyone who likes him. He's honestly not a bad actor at all, but I think it was a casting mistake. His soft spoken, light voice, and wavy hair do not befit the character at all. In all honesty I think he was chosen to give some familiarity to the movie for those not familiar with the source. Fair enough, but I feel like there is probably a better match out there than him.
Read a few posts above. :p

Dresden

I'm kinda disappointed that Kim, that dude with the car, doesn't seem to be in the movie. He was clearly the best character in the series.

BJK

Movie had me at Edgar Wright. With the exception of Cera, I like virtually everyone I see in the trailer (really don't know MEW, and - after S3 of Chuck - would consider it a pleasant surprise if Brandon Routh can give a non-wooden performance).

The trailer has me considering buying the SP Vol. 1. Would probably have done so already if the story / art didn't keep tripping my hipster alert.

I just realized Chris Evans is/has played 3 comic book characters. Now he's tied with Ryan Reynolds. :lol

wRATH2x said:

That's a great schtick you have there, sir.

Edit: Oh crap. Chris Evans is doing another comic book movie, The Losers. Your move, Reynolds.

Ri'Orius

OneEightZero said:
I busted some mad avatars from the trailer here. Still several not claimed. ^_^

I'm tempted, but I really want to try my hand at making my own. There are two particular moments I'd like to nab...

Mind disclosing your method? What software you use, etc?

Jet Grind Radio! said:
I just realized Chris Evans is/has played 3 comic book characters. Now he's tied with Ryan Reynolds. :lol

That's a great schtick you have there, sir.

Edit: Oh crap. Chris Evans is doing another comic book movie, The Losers. Your move, Reynolds.

Damn, that's crazy. It HAS to be record :)

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
*****/*****

FFFUUUUU

i need the soundtrack NOW. so fuckin good. cera redeemed himself as his best performance since AD.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
jon bones said:
*****/*****

FFFUUUUU

i need the soundtrack NOW. so fuckin good. cera redeemed himself as his best performance since AD.
Was he energetic enough? The only thing that bothers me is that Scott Pilgrim is pretty much a bouncing ball of ADD with a permanent grin, and Cera comes out as a little subdued.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
DanielPlainview said:
are people seriously still complaining about Cera? Every single test screening review has said he is fantastic.
This still has me scratching my head. You'll always have your nonbelievers until crow season comes around.

XiaNaphryz

DanielPlainview said:
are people seriously still complaining about Cera? Every single test screening review has said he is fantastic.
Yes, because most people only have seen the trailer and haven't read anything about the early screenings. Just look through the trailer thread.

jett

D-Member
XiaNaphryz said:
Yes, because most people only have seen the trailer and haven't read anything about the early screenings. Just look through the trailer thread.

Impressions of early screenings say that it's Michael Cera playing Michael Cera. Maybe that'll work within this movie, but that's not Scott Pilgrim.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
AgentWhiskersX said:
My how things have changed.

1zqamtu.jpg

:D
Does this refer to me calling Inception MOTY? :lol
Or was there an instance where i had referred to an adaptation in the same manner?

I'm really having a soft spot for pilgrim lately. I stopped reading after the 1st issue, because well, I'd rather see it in live action and here it is.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I am looking forward to this movie a lot.. But the way that people are gushing over the very existance of this film confirms that it really is GAF's twilight.

Fights, videogame references, spazzing, girl-Age.... It's all here folks. The ultimate GAF movie indeed.

jett

D-Member
Jibril said:
Does this refer to me calling Inception MOTY? :lol
Or was there instance where i referred to an adaptation in the same manner?

I'm really having a soft spot for pilgrim lately. I stopped reading after the 1st issue, because well, I'd rather see it in live action and here it is.

1st issue is the worst one...I would keep reading.

XiaNaphryz

From that oatmeal review thread:

The OP even admits he hasn't read the books, and I'm on my second read-through of them right now and how he describes Cera playing Scott is exactly how Scott is in the books.

And from a quick scan of other impressions:

Michael Cera is really great. He’s also doing something that’s different from what most people know him as in terms of the character. He’s a little more self assured and Bugs Bunny-like than George Michael.
“Michael Cera was a perfect cast for Scott Pilgrim, as well as the girl who played Knives Chau (Ellen Wong).”
Michael Cera’s best movie to date.
Needless to say, Michael Cera is perfect.

wRATH2x

Banned
First thing guys, as much as I love that fat fuck. Don't trust Kevin Smith reviews.

I'm sure the movie will kick all kinds of ass, but I'm just not buying Cera as Scott Pilgrim. Him being my favorite character of the series has something to do with it.

Kevin Smith likes everything, so yeah, his reviews, while entertaining, can be safely ignored. However, I know that Jason Reitman has said that the movie is really great, and I think someone earlier said that Tarantino was also quite positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom