• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.
derFeef said:
He seems pretty hot, yep. Hope he get´s decent amount of onscreen time.
Are you kidding? He's in the movie way more than I thought he would be. He actually anchors much of the movie because you get to see him so much. I think he kind of drops out later, but that's expected when they are finishing the story. Best character in the movie even if he is so oddly pale.

derFeef

BobTheFork said:
Are you kidding? He's in the movie way more than I thought he would be. He actually anchors much of the movie because you get to see him so much. I think he kind of drops out later, but that's expected when they are finishing the story. Best character in the movie even if he is so oddly pale.
Why should I kid, I have not seen it yet (fuck europe). Love him in the books and also in the trailers.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Zabka said:
pN8UR.jpg
I didn't want to get into another Michael Cera hate-a-thon, but yea, this.

derFeef said:
Why should I kid, I have not seen it yet (fuck europe). Love him in the books and also in the trailers.
oh, that's just an expression. I should have just said do not worry about Wallace's screen time at all, he is there a bunch.

fernoca

Just watched the movie a second time. :D
Considering that the only thing I new about "Scott Pilgrim" was the trailer of this movie, when I watched it around 3 months ago; yeah I really..really liked it!

Loved Matthew Patel and his whole Bollywood music/dance/fight! :lol
loved the actor Satya BhaBha too! <3!

The references to videogames, the music, the icons/sprites, the (literal)' :O' face Knives did! :lol
The DJ/fight of the twins, loved it wished someone made a DJ Hero game like that. :D

The first time I watched it with 3 other friends (2 guys, and 1 girl which was the wife of one of them; she even jokingly said "Darn, am I the only girl in here?!"). They all loved it and one of them, who never buys DVDs or Blurays, said that this is goign to be his first Bluray movie. They all also knew nothing about Scott Pilgrim before the movie.

So, yeah. Incredibly-awesome movie. Heck, wouldn't mind watching it a third time. :D

RobotNinjaHornets said:
Just about to leave to see it

Excitement radiates from my soul
Aaand back

FUUUUCK

When it officially comes out here, I am going to see it again. MULTIPLE TIMES.

Also, there was an anti-piracy advert at the beginning thanking us for paying. Despite the fact we all won a contest to see it free :lol

Sex Bob-Omb <3

Ri'Orius

soultron said:
I know the real ending might have seemed awkward to some, but I couldn't have it ending any other way. Still, I hope it's included on the DVD.

Y'know what would be the best thing ever for the DVD? Multiple alternate endings, kinda like the Clue movie.

There's be the Ramona ending and the Knives ending, of course, but also a Kim, Envy and Lisa ending (the latter being lulziest due to the fact that she'd only appear at the very end and seem completely out of left field). Maybe even a Wallace ending for epic lulz.

Each would only change the last five minutes or so, none would really click 100%, but they would all be amusing in their own way.

Just came back from seeing it 10 minutes ago. I am so happy movies like this exist.

I was real bummed that i was one of only 6 people in the theater though. It felt weird to chuckle by yourself where as in a semi full theater, the energy would have made the experience better.

rezuth

Gamer @ Heart said:
Just came back from seeing it 10 minutes ago. I am so happy movies like this exist.

I was real bummed that i was one of only 6 people in the theater though. It felt weird to chuckle by yourself where as in a semi full theater, the energy would have made the experience better.
That is nothing, me and my mate were the only people in the saloon watching Watchmen at prime time. I knew the movie would be a failure right then :lol

rezuth said:
That is nothing, me and my mate were the only people in the saloon watching Watchmen at prime time. I knew the movie would be a failure right then :lol
I saw watchmen in a full Imax theater and it was still wierd. It didn't get any big reaction moments and so many people watching checking there phones to see the time every 10 minutes. There were 6 other people in the theater when I saw Pilgrim. It's the kind of movie I really wish I could have seen with a full audience. At least that means it's coming to Blu Ray faster.

big ander

Ri'Orius said:
Y'know what would be the best thing ever for the DVD? Multiple alternate endings, kinda like the Clue movie.

There's be the Ramona ending and the Knives ending, of course, but also a Kim, Envy and Lisa ending (the latter being lulziest due to the fact that she'd only appear at the very end and seem completely out of left field). Maybe even a Wallace ending for epic lulz.

Each would only change the last five minutes or so, none would really click 100%, but they would all be amusing in their own way.
Stephen ending.
Would be amazing.

Seth C

butter_stick said:
What they like? Not seen them.

Completely different than the previous ads. Just shows a bunch of quotes from reviews like "classic", "you'll fall in love", etc. while showing characters from the movie. No dialog other than the narrator quoting people, no action, just shots of the characters.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
The_Technomancer said:
And the robot. Don't forget the robot.
How could I? The robot was boss.

bachikarn said:
I don't think Scott getting together with Knives makes much sense either. He clearly only dated her to help him move on for Envy, and it's not like Knives really loved Scott either. It was just an infraction with him since he was her first boyfriend (which Knives realizes in the comic). Scott was a huge prick to her, and didn't really do anything to make up for that.
In the movie it's different, though. It seems to me that it was saying that she really loved him all along, and Scott wasn't able to see or appreciate that. By the end of the film he realizes that he's made a mistake and she's right for him.
BocoDragon said:
Yes exactly. I'm not unsympathetic to how the relationship was trimmed for time, but it's not quite the same. I've also heard anecdotes from people who thought the relationship was shallow "male gamer fantasy" with little realistic relationship building... and it's not like that in the comic. It's a victim of having to cram all the story beats into a film.

While Ramona literally skates into Scott's life in his dreams in a "fantasy" sense, the long term space of the comic lets them actually have many ups and downs in a realistic relationship. While a fantasy world, the appeal of SP was that rather true-to-life relationship at the heart of it. That's kind of gone in the film, where Ramona really is a "prize" at the end of a videogame-like series of enemies. Perhaps you might say that the short run-time of the film makes it into more of a videogame than the book actually was.
THANK YOU!
The relationship stuff was really shallow. Some people called the comic geek wish-fulfillment fantasy, but with the focus it placed on the difficulties and responsibilities in maintaining a relationship, I think it was really the opposite. The movie really was the story those critics accused the comic of being.

Seth C said:
Completely different than the previous ads. Just shows a bunch of quotes from reviews like "classic", "you'll fall in love", etc. while showing characters from the movie. No dialog other than the narrator quoting people, no action, just shots of the characters.
I just heard the radio version of the ad. Seems like they are trying to play up the critical acclaim that the movie is getting while covering up what the movie is actually about. I guess Michael Cera isn't exactly selling this movie to a wide group of audiences.

derFeef said:
He seems pretty hot, yep.
Are you being serious? The dude's hideous. First thing I thought when his face popped on screen. And I'm straight.

BobTheFork said:
I saw watchmen in a full Imax theater and it was still wierd. It didn't get any big reaction moments and so many people watching checking there phones to see the time every 10 minutes.

That was because Watchmen was a shitty movie that lasted for an eternity.

soultron

Banned
FlightOfHeaven said:
I saw it with a full theater.

Having people roaring with laughter alongside you made it AWESOME AS FUCK
Yeah, this. First night I saw it, it was packed since it was free popcorn+drink day. Huge laughs. The night after, at my second showing, it was maybe 3/4 the theatre full, but it got a solid applause when it ended.

So happy it was made. The is the best video game movie ever made. I say that because video game stories suck -- they're just motivation to kill dudes. This movie is the best integration of "video game" there ever will be, IMO; sound cues, songs, and stylistic visual elements we all identify with when we think of video games. This worked video games into a great story. (Though you could argue that the story is more developed in the books.)

:]

Am I the only one sad that the whole Scott Pilgrim craze has, essentially, come to a close? I'm sad it took me a movie to discover something I enjoy so much. I'm glad the book, game and movie all happened though. I enjoyed them all!

ezekial45

Banned
soultron said:
So happy it was made. The is the best video game movie ever made. I say that because video game stories suck -- they're just motivation to kill dudes. This movie is the best integration of "video game" there ever will be, IMO; sound cues, songs, and stylistic visual elements we all identify with when we think of video games. This worked video games into a great story. (Though you could argue that the story is more developed in the books.)

:]

Am I the only one sad that the whole Scott Pilgrim craze has, essentially, come to a close? I'm sad it took me a movie to discover something I enjoy so much. I'm glad the book, game and movie all happened though. I enjoyed them all!

I agree.
It's also the only videogame movie to actually get the whole death and rebirth (via 1UP) aspect of videogames right. In fact, it's the only one to actually do it. The whole "retry" sequence seemed like a homage to Run Lola Run (IMO), but it still perfectly captured replaying a tough sequence in a videogame. That was my favorite part in the entire movie.

The one thing i do hope is that this movie inspire other movies based on videogames. Unlike other movies based on games, Scott Pilgrim actually embraces the "gamey-ness" of the original stories. Other videogame based movies filter out most of the videogame elements from the source material and attempt to ground it in a realistic world. While thats not bad, most liberties they take with story, characters and the world end up distorting and making it almost unrecognizable.

What this movie does is that it incorporates videogame logic, humor and conventions into the story (just like the source material). While other movies have done this, and failed by making it look corny, SP does it in a way that makes it look extremely natural. I'm surprised how well it worked to be honest.

Also, theres still the home video release. The loving isn't over until thats out.

G-Fex

I really really liked it a lot. I don't know jack shit about relationships that much but I really wish to god I had a girl like Knives Chou. There were a lot of gorgeous girls in the movie, Tom F'n Cruise loved Kim Pine. I however loved Scott's sister and Ramona mostly.

Great great movie, I love the way that Edward Wright makes these movies. They're so great and the fighting was really great. Spoony was right the fights never got boring and they were pretty varied.

Hieberrr

The best part about this movie was the previews before it. The theater was pretty much packed when the previews started. The preview for "Devils" came on and everyone was watching it and then M. Night's name came out and everyone let out a disappointing "aww", followed by epic laughter from everyone. Best. Preview. Ever.

ezekial45

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:
It's going to be a shame when Vampires Suck takes the top spot at the box office this weekend. :(

Yeah, thats gonna suck. It's smart of them to target the crowd that hates Twilight though.

G-Fex said:
I really really liked it a lot. I don't know jack shit about relationships that much but I really wish to god I had a girl like Knives Chou. There were a lot of gorgeous girls in the movie, Tom F'n Cruise loved Kim Pine. I however loved Scott's sister and Ramona mostly.

Great great movie, I love the way that Edward Wright makes these movies. They're so great and the fighting was really great. Spoony was right the fights never got boring and they were pretty varied.

Well now you know.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I can't get that damn clash at demonhead song out of my head and i haven't even seen the movie yet.

I really need to get off my ass and see it, maybe tomorrow .. maybe :/

brb

evlcookie said:
I can't get that damn clash at demonhead song out of my head and i haven't even seen the movie yet.

I really need to get off my ass and see it, maybe tomorrow .. maybe :/

This 1000x and I've seen the movie 3 times now!
brb looking up the video on youtube

G-Fex

Michael Cera is the tallest skinniest dude I've ever seen.

I liked him though he's really pretty damned awesome. Awkwardness be damned.

soultron

Banned
ezekial45 said:
Also, theres still the home video release. The loving isn't over until thats out.
Fuck. I cannot wait until the home release. I will pour over the commentary. I really want to watch it again right now, but the theatres are closed. :p

Zabka

Expendable. said:
Supergood: In Defense of Michael Cera - on why the SCOTT PILGRIM star is no one-trick pony
Ouch...that's not much of a defense. Less talented than Jesse Eisenberg, monotone and stone faced. I had to read it twice in case to make sure I didn't miss some actual kind words about his acting ability.

On top of that, he pretty much calls him a one trick pony:
Still, lack of range shouldn't be held against Cera: one persona with small tweaks has worked well for many people [ed's note: look to his Year One cohort Jack Black], and Cera's joke is worth repeating.
Works for some people I suppose. I'll be surprised if he gets anymore lead roles.

sn00zer said:
I noticed on second viewing how crazy Wallace's relationship was

1. Other Scott
2. Glasses guy
3. At some point other Scott talks to Scott's sister about his problems (hinted at when she picks up the phone and doesnt know its her brother, I assume she suggests trying to have a threesome)
4. Other Scott and Glasses Guy
5. back to just other Scott
You're really reaching with #3. Like, really.
His sister picks up the phone, not knowing who is calling. The voice on the other line says, "It's Scott!" and she assumed that someone is calling her to tell her that her brother has done something fucking stupid again. "What did he do this time?" she asks. He then tells her that no, it's Scott, as in you are talking to Scott your brother, to which she just responds, "What did YOU do this time?"
XiaNaphryz said:
Well, they did make at least one music video after all so I wouldn't see why they wouldn't at least include that one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGB4VDQI6XM
There is at least one other music video for the Home Release - Summertime by Sex Bob-Omb. They were going to play the music video over the credits, but Wright felt that you shouldn't see Scott again after the movie ended. They also recorded a third Crash and the Boys song called "Zog" but I don't know if they did a video for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom