• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Here's another neat subtle bit in the movie:

Todd at one point in the fight with Scott says "I can read your thoughts." After that, his telepathic voice says, "Your wheel is broken."

The wheel line is a reference to Scott's random wheel of responses that stopped halfway between "I have to pee" and "Who her?"

Charred Greyface said:
XiaNaphryz said:
8zgu81.jpg
:lol
What makes it even more hilarious is when you realize what the conversation the panel's taken from.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Just caught the movie today. I went in knowing nothing about the Scott Pilgram books. That being said i thought the movie was awesome. I like Michael Cera so that might be part of it the mix of action and comedy was great

Chavelo

slipknot2009 said:
Pilgrim looks like any other Michael Cera film. Probably will still see it on dvd. The next movie that I see in theaters is Piranha 3D. I am excited to see Kelly Brook being sexy and I have never seen a 3D horror film so I am down!

My brain just farted reading that. :-/

Oh wait!

slipknot2009

That explains it. :p

Amir0x

Banned
after seeing Scott Pilgrim the one thing I can definitively state is Michael Cera is not acting like Michael Cera and everyone who still thinks that after seeing the film is clearly insane

i mean what you think of his acting ability beyond that is fair territory

johnsmith

remember me
XiaNaphryz said:
Here's another neat subtle bit in the movie:

Todd at one point in the fight with Scott says "I can read your thoughts." After that, his telepathic voice says, "Your wheel is broken."

The wheel line is a reference to Scott's random wheel of responses that stopped halfway between "I have to pee" and "Who her?"

I thought he said "your will is broken"

sn00zer

I noticed on second viewing how crazy Wallace's relationship was

1. Other Scott
2. Glasses guy
3. At some point other Scott talks to Scott's sister about his problems (hinted at when she picks up the phone and doesnt know its her brother, I assume she suggests trying to have a threesome)
4. Other Scott and Glasses Guy
5. back to just other Scott

XiaNaphryz said:
You mean his performance as Scott?

I just rewatched Superbad and I don't think Michael Cera's performance as Evan is similar to Michael Cera's performance as Scott Pilgrim in Scott Pilgrim vs. The World.

XiaNaphryz

brandonh83 said:
I just rewatched Superbad and I don't think Michael Cera's performance as Evan is similar to Michael Cera's performance as Scott Pilgrim in Scott Pilgrim vs. The World.
That's what I thought you meant, but your original post left it a bit open to interpretation. :lol

brandonh83 said:

It's really not similar to George Michael, either.

Between AD, Superbad, Youth in Revolt (talking about the confident, mustachioed character), and Scott Pilgrim, all of which are quite different from one another, I think it's fallacious to say that he doesn't have range.

XiaNaphryz said:
That's what I thought you meant, but your original post left it a bit open to interpretation. :lol

I figured by mentioning that the film I just rewatched was Superbad would be enough supporting evidence of what I meant ;)

XiaNaphryz

brandonh83 said:
I figured by mentioning that the film I just rewatched was Superbad would be enough supporting evidence of what I meant ;)
Dumber things have been posted in regards to the movie or Cera.

G-Fex

FleckSplat said:
Spoony just reviewed Scott Pilgrim and loved it. He broke down the character arcs and everything. I highly recommend it.

Review

Why do I have the feeling I won't like Expendables either.

I'm not sure I want to see Scott Pilgrim either.

Saw the movie without reading the books. I loved it, the design, the music, defiantly what i want out of a film.

Next shopping trip to Toronto will include a visit to Hillcrest Park.

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
I saw this today.

So, so awesome. I'm going to try to see it again sometime this week.

Darth Pinche said:
Dude, this movie is TOTALLY a No More Heroes movie!!! I love it!

Is it just me or does Ramona look just like one of the girls from JSRF (Jet Set radio Freedom)?

This is what I was thinking in the first scene with her.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Among other things, meeting Edgar Wright and seeing this movie 3 times in the US has made my trip by far the most enjoyable. God I seriously love that man.

G-Fex

You know it's sad when you don't even know what the fuck kind of audience you are.

I don't know what the fuck I am.

I'm not a huge action enthusiast I mean I haven't even seen all the transporter movies and most action flicks I like are nostalgia. On the other hand I don't want to see Pilgrim cause I'm afraid I won't get it, I'm not part of that "Subculture" that Spoony says that will understand what the film is going for.

I'll be honest I didn't even get the book (I only have vol. 1) I guess I'm just a fucking half-wit who doesn't know what I like. I've never stressed out this much over this before but man.

ezekial45

Banned
G-Fex said:
You know it's sad when you don't even know what the fuck kind of audience you are.

I'm not a huge action enthusiast I mean I haven't even seen all the transporter movies and most action flicks I like are nostalgia. On the other hand I don't want to see Pilgrim cause I'm afraid I won't get it, I'm not part of that "Subculture" that Spoony says that will understand what the film is going for.

I'll be honest I didn't even get the book (I only have vol. 1) I guess I'm just a fucking half-wit who doesn't know what I like. I've never stressed out this much over this before but man.

You won't know until you try. Just give it a chance.

soultron

Banned
Saw it again tonight. It got claps at the end. :)

Liked it, and really noticed the whole 'No, I'm fighting for me!' stuff in regards to Scott learning self-respect. Since I could focus on taking in the story this time (the visuals had me too wowed the first time to really pay that much attention, and I had already read the books.) and I noticed a lot of great subtleties.

Prrrrobably going to see it again. Haha.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Hopefully the BluRay comes loaded with features. Specifically some of the music in music video format and the deleted scenes ^_^

soultron

Banned
shintoki said:
Hopefully the BluRay comes loaded with features. Specifically some of the music in music video format and the deleted scenes ^_^
You know that the DVD/BR is going to be worth it for commentary and cast interviews alone. I cannot wait. This is like a Pixar movie in the sense that, when it goes to home release, you know you need to pick it up for the special features.

Coeliacus

G-Fex said:

Just accept it man. Come and be a hater with the rest of us haters. :lol

I don't actually hate Scott Pilgrim, but I'm the first person to shut people down for liking movies that don't deserve it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It's odd.... I don't think I've been excited for a home video release, special features and all, since the advent of blu-ray... I haven't cared about a movie this much in a good half decade :D

soultron

Banned
Zanken said:

I don't actually hate Scott Pilgrim, but I'm the first person to shut people down for liking movies that don't deserve it.
Influence or bias is one thing, but I think you should see a movie yourself before you pass judgement or comment on it. Which brings me to this: have you seen the movie?

I mean that in the most honest and polite way possible, mind you.

BJK

XiaNaphryz said:
Someone needs to take the clips of Cera hitting his head against the pole from the Clash at Demonhead music video and make it to a gif.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGB4VDQI6XM

Starts around 1:52.

Speaking of the Clash at Demonhead....is there any way to buy the .mp3 version of 'Black Sheep' in both the movie and the video?

(The soundtrack only has the Metric original, and I prefer the movie version. Apparently, the video itself was an iTunes pre-order bonus...but I just want the song.)

Count me among the meager opening weekend audience, for what it's worth. Enjoyed the film immensely. (Kinda prefer the
Chaos Theater level repeat
in the movie compared to what they did in the books.)

hamchan

Zanken said:

How about you just let people like what they like?

Zabka

G-Fex said:

If you've played video games then there's really nothing for you to "get". A guy is interested in a girl, but her 7 exes want to kill him to control her dating future.

It's worth seeing for the action scenes, the effects and the music alone. The supporting cast is great too.

soultron

Banned
G-Fex, to put it simply, you've never seen something like Scott Pilgrim before. (From a stylistic stand-point.)

So go see it. You'll find there's a funny movie and some kick-ass action in it as well.

G-Fex

You guys are right. Putting aside this drama about my taste in movies. (I wish I was as smart as Spoony sometimes) I'll just go and see this and enjoy.

kiryogi

Banned
I've seen it 3 times now. I don't know how much more I can get it from it. A 4th time might be the max I can do at this point. But man you can bet I'm all over the Blu-ray.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Johnny Simmons' performance as Young Neil was simply incredible. He took the (imo) least interesting character in the books and transformed him into one of the more interesting characters in the movie.

RetroGamer42 said:
The flickering around the corners make me think it's from a cam, though I could be wrong.

Yeah, I filmed the movie the other night, but I just can't bother to upload it, sorry. Will continue to make gifs, though.

Fdg7D.gif

4h9o3l.gif

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Charred Greyface said:
Spoilers

I finally saw the movie a second time. This time I noticed the little stuff (I think like the Gideon cat on Scott's mug and Young Neil picking up Gideon's gum (eewww).

The fights in the movie are better IMO. Some good fights were cut out of course (or relegated to the animation extras on the forthcoming DVD) but the main ones were fleshed out in interesting ways.
The fights are definitely better in the film. I think the comics were never really about the fights, but more about the character interactions. In contrast, Edgar Wright placed a big emphasis on making visually interesting action scenes.
The movie does carry a lot of the same hilarious banter in the parts lifted directly from the comics, but once that's out of the way it becomes a bit chain of fight sequences.

Charred Greyface said:
I disagree that the comics are primarily about moving on. Well, not just moving forward anyway. 'Moving on' (or 'running away' as some would put it) is what Rammy always did and the reason for the evil exs.
Whaa?
What Rammy did was retreat from her problems. Totally different from the 'moving forward' I'm referring too.
The narrative trajectory of the series is Scott's self-improvement. At the start, he's a totally responsibility-free loser, but his relationship with Ramona leads to him gradually making adjustments to himself for the better. First he learns to get over the past-experiences that still haunt him and pull him back, then he learns to man up and accept that living for yourself and others means taking responsibility. That's why there was a whole volume called 'Scott Pilgrim Gets It Together' with a major subplot about his getting a job. Finally, he learns to be honest with himself about his limitations as a person, and at the same time finds the courage to face up to the problems that once would have dragged him down.
In short, he escapes from the shackles of the past and makes himself a better person for the future. That's what I mean by 'moving forward'. Ramona has to make some similar changes in volume 6.

Charred Greyface said:
Anyway, I'm firmly on Team Knives for the movie. All the stuff Scott and Ramona went through together, living together and all that, by which they developed a bond, just wasn't in the film. Knives and Scott, not Ramona and Scott, kicked Gideon's ass so yeah end up together. The reshoot was sloppy. Scott just finished fighting Gideon were he announced that he was fighting for himself then Knives suggests he should go with Ramona because he was "fighting for her all along"?! Bah
Completely sloppy. One minute we have all these hints from Ramona that he should go back to Knives, then a complete turnaround five minutes later?
I think that where the comics were about 'moving forward' and improving yourself, the idea running through the film seems to be that Ramona isn't suited for Scott and his quest for her is a wasted effort. Knives is the one who listens to his Pac-Man trivia with interest. Unlike Ramona, she'll accept him for what he is...a geek slacker.
This 'geek pride' kind of message that it seems they were going for is the opposite of the final message of the comics, but I wish they'd stuck with it. At least then the film would have a coherent point of view. As it is, it's very confused.

suikodan

I saw the movie yesterday. Never read the books.

I liked the video games references, the guys exploding in coins is straight from RCR.

The fights were surprisinsgly different one from another.
The fight with Lucas was very funny when he explodes at the end of the rail. The one with Todd Ingram was alright until the vegetarian-ish squad comes in, I laughed a lot. The final fight was ok but it was getting a bit repetitive.

Even though I liked the movie, I can't see myself recommending it to people who aren't geek or videogames fans like I am.

kiryogi

Banned
Krev said:
The fights are definitely better in the film. I think the comics were never really about the fights, but more about the character interactions. In contrast, Edgar Wright placed a big emphasis on making visually interesting action scenes.
The movie does carry a lot of the same hilarious banter in the parts lifted directly from the comics, but once that's out of the way it becomes a bit chain of fight sequences.

comic spoiler

I really wanted to see Ramona vs Envy in that regard D:

Gilby

Just saw this the other night, and I think I liked The Twins better in the movie than the comic. The theatre was packed when I went, so maybe this film will get good enough word of mouth that it makes a lot of money in the long run.

Jintor

AgentWhiskersX said:
Johnny Simmons' performance as Young Neil was simply incredible. He took the (imo) least interesting character in the books and transformed him into one of the more interesting characters in the movie.

This times a majillion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom