• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duki

Banned
yeah cera really did his best to try and ruin this movie

half the lines, the way they were written, it didn't sound like they were meant to make scott awkward and witty, just witty.

i dunno what he's like in the books tho

Duki

Banned
Scullibundo said:
Cera was great and I've never really thought much of him. He really just did a fantastic job that completely surprised me.
but he did the exact same job he always does

also, +1 to those who were saying the relationship felt like escapist male nerd fantasy of the perfect girl falling for the average guy for no particular reason

are the books different? i still have no idea why she even liked him in the movie

Duki said:
but he did the exact same job he always does
No he fucking didn't. Have you ever watched any other movie or TV show with Michael Cera in it? Because if you have, you would not be saying this because he is not playing the same fucking character he always does in this movie. Jesus Christ. Even my ex girlfriend was shocked by how "different and bad-ass" he was as Scott Pilgrim.

Duki

Banned
it's not the same character, but it's the same method of acting and telling jokes, and he does it consistently. man hasn't changed since arrested development. he just acts like slightly less of a pussy here.

why are you so angry

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Duki said:
are the books different? i still have no idea why she even liked him in the movie

The books are very much the same. She liked him because he was a lost puppy dog who never gave up...and he ended up being a more stand up guy than anyone she ever dated.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Viewing number 2 complete :D I took another reluctant female to SP and turned her into a fan.

Duki said:
it's not the same character, but it's the same method of acting and telling jokes, and he does it consistently. man hasn't changed since arrested development. he just acts like slightly less of a pussy here.

why are you so angry
I'm just a loud angry guy.

Edit: Ramona likes Scott because she eventually just gets to know him. She rolls through his dream and he goes, "OMG, dream girl, I have to date her." So he does. She begrudgingly agrees to a date with him and over the course of said date, discovers she is attracted to him. That's... pretty much how it goes in real life, too.

Jintor

Just finished listening to the Creative Screenwriting podcast with Bryan, Michael and Edgar. Clarified a few things - fights being like a musical where you simply don't question the logic, the romance being changed from a two-year getting-to-know-each-other thing to something more akin to a summer fling, etc.

BocoDragon

Jintor said:
Just finished listening to the Creative Screenwriting podcast with Bryan, Michael and Edgar. Clarified a few things - fights being like a musical where you simply don't question the logic, the romance being changed from a two-year getting-to-know-each-other thing to something more akin to a summer fling, etc.
I listened to that, and I recommend it for insight into the adaptation process. It was interesting.

I never consiously thought "good thing that no one questions the logic of the fighting!" I just thought it was "right"- the world of SP just works that way.... but good on Wright for actually making that a rule to follow during the screenwriting process.

If some bystander had said "Wow you can fight? But you're just some kid! Wow!" it would have unraveled then and there. Stacey Pilgrim did say "What?!" in a cute exclamation during the Patel fight, but that was it for characters thinking the fighting was extraordinary.

^Perhaps that explains the loss of the "best fighter in the province!" line... it's just best to never acknowledge that anything is out of the ordinary.

Also rewatching SP again after listening to that podcast, I was consiously aware of the Scott-Ramona relationship time compression they mention. It's very short. You get the impression that they've been together for a few days.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Duki said:
also, +1 to those who were saying the relationship felt like escapist male nerd fantasy of the perfect girl falling for the average guy for no particular reason

Very, very different. We see a lot of scenes of the two just spending time together, and over time Scott endears himself more and more to Ramona. He really needs to try hard (and make changes to himself) to make the relationship work.

BocoDragon said:
Also rewatching SP again after listening to that podcast, I was consiously aware of the Scott-Ramona relationship time compression they mention. It's very short. You get the impression that they've been together for a few days.
They have, the movie takes place over the course of about a week, two weeks max.

BocoDragon

Duki said:

Cut out of all the videogames stuff in the comic, and you could almost picture the Scott-Ramona romance as a reasonably realistic youth romance in indie comic form.

But things change for a film: the romance plot had to be cut down and condensed to 2hrs, all the videogame references had to be preserved and even emphasized because that's the unique angle, and then you have to cast a nerdy actor as the lead because it seems to make sense for a gaming-obsessed character... But then perhaps the super-cool hipster girlfriend starts to look out of place? It starts to looks like nerd fantasy.

I dunno, something just changes in the shift to film.

BocoDragon

salva said:
I wana watch this movie again. Maybe Thursday
Rather beautifully... there is no torrent. I saw it again tonight and I didn't do it as some ritual... I genuinely wanted to enjoy it again.

BocoDragon said:
Rather beautifully... there is no torrent. I saw it again tonight and I didn't do it as some ritual... I genuinely wanted to enjoy it again.
Yeah, screw torrents. I want to support this movie because it rocks and totally deserves our extra cash.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
BocoDragon said:
Cut out of all the videogames stuff in the comic, and you could almost picture the Scott-Ramona romance as a reasonably realistic youth romance in indie comic form.

But things change for a film: the romance plot had to be cut down and condensed to 2hrs, all the videogame references had to be preserved and even emphasized because that's the unique angle, and then you have to cast a nerdy actor as the lead because it seems to make sense for a gaming-obsessed character... But then perhaps the super-cool hipster girlfriend starts to look out of place? It starts to looks like nerd fantasy.

I dunno, something just changes in the shift to film.
I think that's just the angle Edgar Wright chose to take. The focus was definitely placed on 'geeky'.
A good example of the shift is Scott embarrassing himself by talking to the hipster girl about Pac-Man. That was never in the book.

BocoDragon

salva said:
Yeah, screw torrents. I want to support this movie because it rocks and totally deserves our extra cash.

While I was watching the movie I noticed how much it all must have cost, and I was glad my ticket and my date's were helping them inch toward profitability :p

It was bothering me so I made a little chart, and the movie takes place over the course of 9 days. It starts on a Friday and presumably ends on the following Saturday. (Movie starts on Friday, Scott dreams about Ramona that night. The next night, Saturday, he sees her at the party, and the next morning he orders the CDs. Ramona delivers the CDs on Monday morning, Scott fights Patel the next night, Lucas the night after that, and Todd on Friday night, then Roxy immediately after, then the next night, Saturday, he fights the Twins and Gideon.)

It could potentially start on Thursday, and it's the day after that he shows Knives his old house and dreams about Ramona, making it 10 days, but I'm not sure. I'd have to see it again with this in mind.

BocoDragon said:
While I was watching the movie I noticed how much it all must have cost, and I was glad my ticket and my date's were helping them inch toward profitability :p
Since you took a chick to the movies, I should take one too!

BocoDragon

Krev said:
I think that's just the angle Edgar Wright chose to take. The focus was definitely placed on 'geeky'.
A good example of the shift is Scott embarrassing himself by talking to the hipster girl about Pac-Man. That was never in the book.
Very good point. He was a more consciously geeky character to sell the videogame-angle in a Hollywood film.. Comic Scott wouldn't have talked about games to girls quite like that... I like the adaptation though. It is its own thing.

salva said:
Since you took a chick to the movies, I should take one too!
I've taken two girls already... catch up ;) They both loved it in the end.

This movie bombing has nothing to do with my actions.... :p That's 4 tickets.

BocoDragon said:

At least Universal can't blame the pirates for the bad BO results.

G-Fex said:
I really really liked it a lot. I don't know jack shit about relationships that much but I really wish to god I had a girl like Knives Chou. There were a lot of gorgeous girls in the movie, Tom F'n Cruise loved Kim Pine. I however loved Scott's sister and Ramona mostly.

Great great movie, I love the way that Edward Wright makes these movies. They're so great and the fighting was really great. Spoony was right the fights never got boring and they were pretty varied.

HOT and cute at the same time
MV5BNjk1ODM0MDM4Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODM4MTk2Mw@@._V1._SX640_SY960_.jpg

Ellen+Wong+Hair+6KFEaJJb4oql.jpg

idk why but she grew on me threw out the movie
scottpilgrim6.jpg

(not form the movie but had to be posted :D )
alison-pill-profile.jpg

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
BocoDragon said:
Very good point. He was a more consciously geeky character to sell the videogame-angle in a Hollywood film.. Comic Scott wouldn't have talked about games to girls quite like that... I like the adaptation though. It is its own thing.
I think that's the reason why the film was originally written with
Scott ending up with Knives. She's the girl who appreciates him for who he is, i.e. doesn't have a problem with his geekiness. I think that was the point of the scene of him telling the Pac-Man trivia to an adoring Knives, which was contrasted with Ramona acting condescending when he used the same line on her.
akachan ningen said:
I really liked this movie but Cera did a lot to kill some of my enjoyment. The guy who played Neil would have made a more likable Scott.
He could have given an awesome rendition of the comic Scott. He's older than Michael Cera, by the way :)lol ).

Nemesis_

WordAssassin said:
It was bothering me so I made a little chart, and the movie takes place over the course of 9 days. It starts on a Friday and presumably ends on the following Saturday. (Movie starts on Friday, Scott dreams about Ramona that night. The next night, Saturday, he sees her at the party, and the next morning he orders the CDs. Ramona delivers the CDs on Monday morning, Scott fights Patel the next night, Lucas the night after that, and Todd on Friday night, then Roxy immediately after, then the next night, Saturday, he fights the Twins and Gideon.)

It could potentially start on Thursday, and it's the day after that he shows Knives his old house and dreams about Ramona, making it 10 days, but I'm not sure. I'd have to see it again with this in mind.

That's not possible, didn't Ramona say she changes her hair every ten days or something? She changes three times. =/

akachan ningen said:
I really liked this movie but Cera did a lot to kill some of my enjoyment. The guy who played Neil would have made a more likable Scott.
Nahh. I dont love Cera but he is a solid actor. Have you seen youth in revolt. Great movie. Also back on topic, Knives was hot.

I have to agree that the comics never showed why Ramona liked Scott any better than the movie. Ramona became a more rounded person near the end but aside from saying 'you're the nicest guy I've ever dated' there was almost nothing to show why she was with him. You don't ever even hear about her interests or hobbies, or anything; as a person you never learn anything about her. You can easily argue that going through all that with Scott made her love him but I thought there really needed to at least be one specific instance that made her latch on to him early; either something he did or said that made her think he was different than than last 7 people.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
BobTheFork said:
I have to agree that the comics never showed why Ramona liked Scott any better than the movie. Ramona became a more rounded person near the end but aside from saying 'you're the nicest guy I've ever dated' there was almost nothing to show why she was with him.

he can cook, plus I felt like his inexplicable sexual magnetism is hinted at throughout the books.

soyboy

BobTheFork said:
I have to agree that the comics never showed why Ramona liked Scott any better than the movie. Ramona became a more rounded person near the end but aside from saying 'you're the nicest guy I've ever dated' there was almost nothing to show why she was with him. You don't ever even hear about her interests or hobbies, or anything; as a person you never learn anything about her. You can easily argue that going through all that with Scott made her love him but I thought there really needed to at least be one specific instance that made her latch on to him early; either something he did or said that made her think he was different than than last 7 people.

The book & the movie are told from Scott's perspective so it's really hard to get insight into other character's motivations since everything filtered through Scott's fucked up head.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
My only real disappointment is that we didn't get more Kim, since on a second read through the comics now I'm seeing a lot more depth to her then the first time around.

Also, criticizing Cera for being a mostly one-track actor means criticizing about 90% of all Hollywood stars.

levious said:
he can cook, plus I felt like his inexplicable sexual magnetism is hinted at throughout the books.

Between Envy, Kim, Knives, Ramona and a character omitted from the movie (Lisa Miller) Scott did phenomenally well, and despite the art being highly stylized I think he was supposed to be a pretty decent-looking dude. Maybe Cera being kinda funny-looking is throwing everyone off.

But he's supposed to be someone for whom shit just always works out, inexplicably. And it infuriates everyone else. Kim's line sums it up succinctly: "Scott, if your life had a face, I would punch it."

AVclub

I saw the movie Wednesday and thought it was pretty cool. Thing that I don't get is, why all the video game references? They have zero to do with the story. I mean we see Scott play an arcade game and somebody in some of the scenes plays a DS or whatever, but I don't get how that translates into everything in Scott Pilgrim's life being video-game like; the girls, the soundtrack, the fighting, the shallow plot, the bad acting, I mean the whole movie is a giant video game homage. I just don't see how that relates to the main character. He seems way more interested in music and girls than video games.

AVclub said:
I saw the movie Wednesday and thought it was pretty cool. Thing that I don't get is, why all the video game references? They have zero to do with the story. I mean we see Scott play an arcade game and somebody in some of the scenes plays a DS or whatever, but I don't get how that translates into everything in Scott Pilgrim's life being video-game like; the girls, the soundtrack, the fighting, the shallow plot, the bad acting, I mean the whole movie is a giant video game homage. I just don't see how that relates to the main character. He seems way more interested in music and girls than video games.

Nothing to do with the story? The entire plot and premise is structured like a video game.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Joe Shlabotnik said:
Nothing to do with the story? The entire plot and premise is structured like a video game.

Also, the story takes place from Scott's point of view, so alot things in the film are exaggerated and can't be taken at face value (the fights to the death, video game references, etc).

richiek said:
Also, the story takes place from Scott's point of view, so alot things in the film are exaggerated and can't be taken at face value (the fights to the death, video game references, etc).

Scott is the protagonist but it's not from his point of view. It's not narrated by him, the POV is pretty objective. Everyone witnesses the things that happen, this is just the world they live in. Just about all of it should be taken at face value. There's no indication that the events are not actually happening.

AVclub

Joe Shlabotnik said:
That's what I'm saying....WHY is it structured like a video game? If the main character was a game obsessed guy, that would make sense. Instead he's obviously obsessed with music and girls. Why else would he have a temporary fake girlfriend to get over another girl?

I haven't read the comics so I don't have much context for these characters. All I saw is that the movie started with video game stuff right away and kept it going all throughout but they never explained why that is. The guy didn't even have a gaming system at his house. He had a crappy old computer that he barely used.

So why are video games such a prominent theme in the movie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom