• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gilby said:
Just saw this the other night, and I think I liked The Twins better in the movie than the comic. The theatre was packed when I went, so maybe this film will get good enough word of mouth that it makes a lot of money in the long run.
that would be nice

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
AgentWhiskersX said:
Johnny Simmons' performance as Young Neil was simply incredible. He took the (imo) least interesting character in the books and transformed him into one of the more interesting characters in the movie.
Definitely.
He was actually one of the most likable characters in the entire film. Maybe second only to Wallace.

Gilby said:
Just saw this the other night, and I think I liked The Twins better in the movie than the comic. The theatre was packed when I went, so maybe this film will get good enough word of mouth that it makes a lot of money in the long run.
I felt the Twins barely registered in the films. It was just, "hey, you won that last battle, here's the next two guys." We learnt nothing about them, except that they were total pushovers.

Granted, they weren't exactly deep characters in the comic, but I thought the dramatic staging of the battle
(with the caged Kim trying to encourage Scott, while unbeknownst to him, Ramona is contemplating leaving)
was a lot more engaging.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Krev said:
Definitely.
I felt the Twins barely registered in the films. It was just, "hey, you won that last battle, here's the next two guys." We learnt nothing about them, except that they were total pushovers.

Granted, they weren't exactly deep characters in the comic, but I thought the dramatic staging of the battle
(with the caged Kim trying to encourage Scott, while unbeknownst to him, Ramona is contemplating leaving)
was a lot more engaging.
And the robot. Don't forget the robot.

1st viewing I was really into it. 2nd viewing I was slightly bored. 3rd viewing I was super into it.

I have no idea what that means, but...

phalestine

aka iby.h
Expendable. said:
1st viewing I was really into it. 2nd viewing I was slightly bored. 3rd viewing I was super into it.

its the gaming cycle. (Mario2, Dmc2,Loz2 to name a few) people seem to hate these. Mind you I love them. And then LTTP, Mario3, DMC3 are like the best in the series.

soultron

Banned
PS: Buy the soundtrack + score CDs. Some of the songs they chose for this movie were awesome. The Beck versions of Sex Bob-omb songs are wicked.

The score has some really amazing songs on it; very ethereal sounding at points. Some of them make me a little sad too, to be honest. Good shit.

I can't stand the fact that the movie bombed in the US while it's not out before 3 month in France. There's no justice. I want to see it so bad.

soultron said:
PS: Buy the soundtrack + score CDs. Some of the songs they chose for this movie were awesome. The Beck versions of Sex Bob-omb songs are wicked.

The score has some really amazing songs on it; very ethereal sounding at points. Some of them make me a little sad too, to be honest. Good shit.
I was thinking about it, but both is like $40+... is it really worth it?

Chairhome

I have a feeling that word of mouth might push this further this weekend. Its been the number one trending topic since last week, and questlove tweeted that its 4.5/5, saying he might be speaking too soon, but he feels like its this generation's BttF.

If nothing significant comes out this weekend, I can see this in the top 3. The biggest boon is the lack of theater support. It was only showing in one theater at my multiplex last week...

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Expendable. said:

I must have missed something, but what the hell happened to your username? :lol

soultron

Banned
Chairhome said:
I have a feeling that word of mouth might push this further this weekend. Its been the number one trending topic since last week, and questlove tweeted that its 4.5/5, saying he might be speaking too soon, but he feels like its this generation's BttF.

If nothing significant comes out this weekend, I can see this in the top 3. The biggest boon is the lack of theater support. It was only showing in one theater at my multiplex last week...
We will see. I still think Inception will be doing well. The Expendables could go either way... my word of mouth for that movie basically went along the lines of, "If you were hyped in the first place, go see it -- it's great mindless action with big names. But if you never cared in the first place, you're not missing anything."

To be fair, I think Scott Pilgrims word of mouth will only really help it this week and the weekend at the most. I don't really think it has legs in the theatre. The plus is that all of the buzz it's earning in North America should boost the opening numbers overseas.

Movie was so much better than the comics. Love all the changes and combining they did for the film, like that last hour completely got rid of everything I hated about Finest Hour and vs. The Universe. Top notch editing and pacing.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Original/alternate ending described in detail:

Back in February I had the opportunity to catch a work-in-progress version of Scott Pilgrim vs The World. I was blown away by the movie and could not wait to watch it again. Luckily, I was able to catch a screening of the finalized film during San Diego Comic Con along with it’s changed ending.

The first significant change comes after the fight with Evil Exes Five and Six, Kyle and Ken Katayanagi. Scott jumps off the stage to confront Gideon, but is intercepted by Knives. The scene plays out the same as the finalized version of the film till the very end of the clip. Scott walks away, leaving Knives by herself in the crowd. As Knives looks in the direction that Scott left, the black box that gives out character information as seen early in the movie (e.g. Scott Pilgrim, Age 23, Rating Awesome) pops up again displaying Knives Chau, Age 18.

The next major change occurs after Scott “deals” with Nega-Scott. Meeting up with Knives on the street, Scott and her look off into the distance where Ramona stands in the street. A silent understanding takes place between Ramona and Scott where each understands that Scott is better suited to be with Knives. Ramona walks off into the darkness and Scott and Knives share a kiss. The movie comes to an end with the two of them at the arcade laughing, having a good time playing the Ninja DDR game.

soultron said:
To be fair, I think Scott Pilgrims word of mouth will only really help it this week and the weekend at the most. I don't really think it has legs in the theatre. The plus is that all of the buzz it's earning in North America should boost the opening numbers overseas.

If by "overseas" you mean the UK, then yes, the buzz could help. But the rest of Europe will get the movie in what? 5 months? 6 months? And the rest of the world won't get it at all.

soultron

Banned
I know the real ending might have seemed awkward to some, but I couldn't have it ending any other way. Still, I hope it's included on the DVD.

Also, I'm usually a tough guy when it comes to music, but this song kills me when I think of the movie scene that goes with it.

"By Your Side" -- Beachwood Sparks

randomwab

Anyone know if there's a bigger/better version of this GIF?

2my0o3t.gif

soultron said:
I know the real ending might have seemed awkward to some, but I couldn't have it ending any other way. Still, I hope it's included on the DVD.

Also, I'm usually a tough guy when it comes to music, but this song kills me when I think of the movie scene that goes with it.

"By Your Side" -- Beachwood Sparks

Yeah this is definitely one of the best songs featured in the movie and soundtrack. Can you believe it's a lame pop song from Sade used in weddings? This version is much better.

soultron

Banned
I need the high five as a .gif when it comes out. I missed it the first time I saw it since I had to take a leak SO BADLY. But I saw it the yesterday during my second viewing and laughed so hard.

sogood.gif

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I can't help but feel that in the movie version of Scott Pilgrim, either girl was set up to be a "bad choice" for Pilgrim.

Knives was screwed over by Pilgrim early in the film. Narratively, he doesn't deserve to be with her. In the world of Hollywood, once you cheat on someone, you've pretty much screwed up chances for a happy ending with her... Unless you do something BIG to make it up to her. Considering Knives is mostly absent until she shows up in the big fight at the end, I think the original ending would have seemed a bit undeserved. Even aside from cheating, he did nothing to earn her. It's a romantic comedy no-no.

But then again, because Knives was the girl he ended up with in the original cut.. It seems like the movie was giving you all kinds of clues that Ramona was not ultimately the girl for him. Between the whole Gideon love affair (control chip or not), Scott Pilgrim needing to fight Gideon not for Ramona but "for himself", and the whole way Ramona seemed to eagerly walk away at the end... Even Scott making a reversal choosing Ramona "came out of left field".

I must say that the thought of Scott not ending up with Ramona left me cold... It was his entire mission, and having not finished the comics but being a longtime fan, I never even considered the possibility that he wouldn't succeed in his ultimate goal. Him ending up with Ramona was the best choice...

Nonetheless I felt like narratively, it seemed like the story was set up in such a way that Scott wasn't destined for either girl.

big ander

BocoDragon said:
I can't help but feel that in the movie version of Scott Pilgrim, either girl was set up to be a "bad choice" for Pilgrim.

Knives was screwed over by Pilgrim early in the film. Narratively, he doesn't deserve to be with her. In the world of Hollywood, once you cheat on someone, you've pretty much screwed up chances for a happy ending with her... Unless you do something BIG to make it up to her. Considering Knives is mostly absent until she shows up in the big fight at the end, I think the original ending would have seemed a bit undeserved. Even aside from cheating, he did nothing to earn her. It's a romantic comedy no-no.

But then again, because Knives was the girl he ended up with in the original cut.. It seems like the movie was giving you all kinds of clues that Ramona was not ultimately the girl for him. Between the whole Gideon love affair (control chip or not), Scott Pilgrim needing to fight Gideon not for Ramona but "for himself", and the whole way Ramona seemed to eagerly walk away at the end... Even Scott making a reversal choosing Ramona "came out of left field".

I must say that the thought of Scott not ending up with Ramona left me cold... It was his entire mission, and having not finished the comics but being a longtime fan, I never even considered the possibility that he wouldn't succeed in his ultimate goal. Him ending up with Ramona was the best choice...

Nonetheless I felt like narratively, it seemed like the story was set up in such a way that Scott wasn't destined for either girl.
The movie really loses the Ramona-Scott relationship. It's so much better in the books thanks to all that time: we see them
we see them at the beach, living together, going out to eat a lot, etc.
For the time of the movie, it's sufficient. Just wish it could have been longer.

BocoDragon

big ander said:
The movie really loses the Ramona-Scott relationship. It's so much better in the books thanks to all that time: we see them
we see them at the beach, living together, going out to eat a lot, etc.
For the time of the movie, it's sufficient. Just wish it could have been longer.
Yes exactly. I'm not unsympathetic to how the relationship was trimmed for time, but it's not quite the same. I've also heard anecdotes from people who thought the relationship was shallow "male gamer fantasy" with little realistic relationship building... and it's not like that in the comic. It's a victim of having to cram all the story beats into a film.

While Ramona literally skates into Scott's life in his dreams in a "fantasy" sense, the long term space of the comic lets them actually have many ups and downs in a realistic relationship. While a fantasy world, the appeal of SP was that rather true-to-life relationship at the heart of it. That's kind of gone in the film, where Ramona really is a "prize" at the end of a videogame-like series of enemies. Perhaps you might say that the short run-time of the film makes it into more of a videogame than the book actually was.

big ander

BocoDragon said:
Yes exactly. I'm not unsympathetic to how the relationship was trimmed for time, but it's not quite the same. I've also heard anecdotes from people who thought the relationship was shallow "male gamer fantasy" with little realistic relationship building... and it's not like that in the comic. It's a victim of having to cram all the story beats into a film.

While Ramona literally skates into Scott's life in his dreams in a "fantasy" sense, the long term space of the comic lets them actually have many ups and downs in a realistic relationship. While a fantasy world, the appeal of SP was that rather true-to-life relationship at the heart of it. That's kind of gone in the film, where Ramona really is a "prize" at the end of a videogame-like series of enemies. Perhaps you might say that the short run-time of the film makes it into more of a videogame than the book actually was.
Precisely. Seems like a lot of reviews did say it was purely fantasy, but in the comics is was a great transformation from fantasy to something really real. That's why I keep telling friends to read the comics :p

bachikarn

I don't think Scott getting together with Knives makes much sense either. He clearly only dated her to help him move on for Envy, and it's not like Knives really loved Scott either. It was just an infraction with him since he was her first boyfriend (which Knives realizes in the comic). Scott was a huge prick to her, and didn't really do anything to make up for that.

bachikarn said:
I don't think Scott getting together with Knives makes much sense either. He clearly only dated her to help him move on for Envy, and it's not like Knives really loved Scott either. It was just an infraction with him since he was her first boyfriend (which Knives realizes in the comic). Scott was a huge prick to her, and didn't really do anything to make up for that.
i guess

but in the movie they seemed like a more substantial match than scot and ramona

BocoDragon

I would say..

The Scott Pilgrim comic was a real-life adventure with game/manga elements thrown in.

The Scott Pilgrim movie was a game/manga adventure with real-life elements thrown in.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Probably the biggest omission is the fact that Scott never really has to deal with the fact that he was a douchebag. They have him apologize to Kim and Knives in a couple of lines and move on as if nothing happened.

BocoDragon

Shanadeus said:
Be honest now guys:

Will I enjoy this movie if I have no idea who Scott Pilgrim is?
Yes.

(I'm not qualifying that statement)

BocoDragon

I'm going to see it again tonight... once again I asked a girl to see it, I got almost the same reaction as I did the first time I watched it, when I asked another female friend:

"What? You actually want to see that? You are such a dork! When's Inception playing?"

Just like I did last time... I insisted. And just like last time, I expect the girl to eat crow. :lol (especially this one: her blackberry is decked out with Mario SFX and a 1-up Mushroom dangling off it.)

The last girl bought the first comic after watching it.

Screw whatever evil force scares women away from this film :lol I will force them to watch it and love it!

derFeef

BocoDragon said:
I'm going to see it again tonight... once again I asked a girl to see it, I got almost the same reaction as I did the first time I watched it, when I asked another female friend:

"What? You actually want to see that? You are such a dork! When's Inception playing?"

Just like I did last time... I insisted. And just like last time, I expect the girl to eat crow. :lol (especially this one: her blackberry is decked out with Mario SFX and a 1-up Mushroom dangling off it.)

The last girl bought the first comic after watching it.

Screw whatever evil force scares women away from this film :lol I will force them to watch it and love it!
Nice man, will do the same. Watching trailers and the Black Sheep music video almost every free minute I can spare. The wait is so long....

Ugh, that alt ending sounds really lame; they could at least have Scott and Ramona have a final conversation. She just walks away into the darkness? yikes Him ending with Knives makes so little sense to me. I never thought she came across (in the comics or movie) as right for Scott at all. She was cute, she worshiped him like the almighty and after Nat dumped him that's what felt the best to him but she was never the right girl.

I forgot to mention the only thing that really bothered me film. WTF was with Cera's voice? I don't remember him talking that way in other movies and I don't know why they would have try to do a voice. I don't know what I thought scott would sound like, but his voice sounded unnaturally wispy and high pitched; almost like they trying to make him seems younger. I could understand him doing that when he got meek or freaked out but he did it the whole film. It was strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom