• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw it for the second time yesterday and enjoyed it just as much. My only complaint was the audience. It was nowhere near as large or energetic as the midnight release. I can't believe the audience (for once) made a movie even better.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Pai Pai Master said:
Yeah they meant the real Final Fantasy II. It's actually listed in the credits.
Maybe they credited Final Fantasy II for simplicities sake (perhaps they would have had to credit two games otherwise :p)

But the game he's talking about is definitely, definitely FFIV. He's talking about Canada's Final Fantasy II... I know he's geeky but I don't think he's talking about an import game. He's talking about the game he played in his childhood, and never really got over.

RadioHeadAche said:
I saw it for the second time yesterday and enjoyed it just as much. My only complaint was the audience. It was nowhere near as large or energetic as the midnight release. I can't believe the audience (for once) made a movie even better.
i can see what your saying because when i went to go see Expendable the audience was electric.....the Scott Pilgrim theater was pretty much empty :/

BJK

WordAssassin said:
I also scored a zero. Thank God.

I almost got through the quiz unscathed. I know where this year's "Real World" was shot (not because I watch...but because I see the ads when I'm too lazy to skip over them on my TiVo during AMtv - those mythical hours when they still show videos). I'm willing to claim a special dispensation on this one.

Gilgamesh said:
Hello, again

Friend of a friend

Still looking for a legal way to buy the Clash at Demonhead version of that song, since I didn't pre-order the soundtrack on iTunes (for the video)...and don't mind paying for my music.

G-Fex

TOM f'N CRUISE said:
i can see what your saying because when i went to go see Expendable the audience was electric.....the Scott Pilgrim theater was pretty much empty :/

We had two girls giggling behind us. That's sort of something.

G-Fex

TOM f'N CRUISE said:
true :lol. they where cute too. the expendable was a sausage fest obviously...except for the few girls that probably went there for there b/fs

Yup Expendables is sex and the city for the guys.

Damn I should've got a look at the girls at least once. I only notice when they put their feet down off the top of the chairs as we got by.

G-Fex said:

Damn I should've got a look at the girls at least once. I only notice when they put their feet down off the top of the chairs as we got by.
they where just your everyday cute white girls. they looked kinda young though

Just watched it this afternoon. I thought the first half was fantastic no doubt due to the fact that it more or less followed the graphic novels. The 2nd half was still great but the changes were a little annoying like how he defeats the 4th ex and most of the Gideon stuff. Felt like the 2nd half was just speeding through the novels so it wasn't as great for fans I would think.

I wanted to understand what the big deal was all about, so i read the entire comic series in one week. It was cute.

I'll go see the movie this week end, but I am fearing a Scott Pilgrim overdose - especially since I barely had time to digest the whole monstrous thing (and I am probably not nearly as much of a fan as everyone here).

Bad idea? Should I let it sink a bit?

HiResDes

WordAssassin said:
I also scored a zero. Thank God.
My scores are off the charts. I found myself unable to find a question in which I could not honestly answer yes...And the sad thing is that I'm not kidding. Although I am not at all embarrassed to be seen out at dinner with my mom

Zabka

G-Fex said:
Scott Pilgrim actually had a higher male % of its audience over the weekend.

And just for the hell of it.

2j3rxwj.jpg

G-Fex

Zabka said:
Scott Pilgrim actually had a higher male % of its audience over the weekend.

And just for the hell of it.

2j3rxwj.jpg

Even better! Excellent casting of Brandon Routh.

they where just your everyday cute white girls. they looked kinda young though

I have a feeling they were big Scott Pilgrim fans though.

Jintor

Funky Papa said:
Ha, I just read that Edgar Wright made Brie Larson play her scenes without blinking so she would look like a mean bitch.

Oh shit, that's what was freaking me the shit out about her

BocoDragon

I see no release date on IMDb for this movie in Japan... but I almost think they would take to it if they knew about it. They have an even more mainstream sense of retro gaming nostalgia than we do... and all the videogame HUD stuff comes straight from Japanese games in particular. I think it would translate well.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
enzo_gt said:
Pics of the first one please.
Yup. By semi-transparent I mean its an actual movie poster printed so that the light shines through from behind when its put in one of those frames. And also extremely glossy, not normal "poster" texture at all.

Front:
28gypef.jpg

And back:
2myw9c1.jpg

BocoDragon said:
I see no release date on IMDb for this movie in Japan... but I almost think they would take to it if they knew about it. They have an even more mainstream sense of retro gaming nostalgia than we do... and all the videogame HUD stuff comes straight from Japanese games in particular. I think it would translate well.
I think it would translate very well, there have to be some fans of the comic there.
I just noticed this while looking at the poster, but I've never seen anyone play bass with a pick before. At least no one I've sat ans watched play in person.

BocoDragon

BobTheFork said:
I think it would translate very well, there have to be some fans of the comic there.
I don't even know if they've localized the comic for Japan.

BocoDragon said:
I don't even know if they've localized the comic for Japan.
Well, we seem to fan translate every Manga, I'm sure it happened.
Also, I just had a big WTF moment. I heard there was a Scott pilgrim comic for free comic day so I looked it up to read and
that joke about Ramona using scott's hands to fight is actually in there?!?! I thought that was pretty funny but I wanted to see Scott sword fight Roxxie. I had no idea that was from the comic, weird.

Belfast

BJK said:
I almost got through the quiz unscathed. I know where this year's "Real World" was shot (not because I watch...but because I see the ads when I'm too lazy to skip over them on my TiVo during AMtv - those mythical hours when they still show videos). I'm willing to claim a special dispensation on this one.

Still looking for a legal way to buy the Clash at Demonhead version of that song, since I didn't pre-order the soundtrack on iTunes (for the video)...and don't mind paying for my music.

I think it's a pass, since the qualifier seemed to be that you know where the Real World was shot even though you claim not to watch television.

farnham

Banned
i read that the movie originally
ended with scott and knives dating but they scrapped that ending

hopefully they will have it in the dvd release

BocoDragon

BobTheFork said:
Well, we seem to fan translate every Manga, I'm sure it happened.
I wouldn't be so sure at all. We translate every Manga because there is a professional and fan industry dedicated to bringing manga here from Japan. Because there are so few "Canadian manga", there's no dedicated industry bringing things like that to Japan. Does Japan even get all the Marvel/DC stuff?

Even if SP is published in Japan I bet it's beyond niche. I would love to know if it actually is released there.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
11:45am showing and I'm the only one in here. Fuck yea lol

Trailers though. Guess a few more might turn up in 10.

I feel so alone :(

big ander

The_Technomancer said:
Yup. By semi-transparent I mean its an actual movie poster printed so that the light shines through from behind when its put in one of those frames. And also extremely glossy, not normal "poster" texture at all.

Front:
http://i33.tinypic.com/28gypef.jpg[IMG]

And back:
[IMG]http://i35.tinypic.com/2myw9c1.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Nice! I won a contest on 4cr, and I'm hoping I got that or a t-shirt. :D

The few times I've been to the cinema alone, I kinda hate it and kinda love it. It's not like you talk to anyone in a cinema anyway, so less distractions. But you look like a loser. Decisions decisions.

No one I know wants to see Pilgrim, so I'll probably be by myself on Wednesday.

Afrodium

Banned
butter_stick said:
The few times I've been to the cinema alone, I kinda hate it and kinda love it. It's not like you talk to anyone in a cinema anyway, so less distractions. But you look like a loser. Decisions decisions.

No one I know wants to see Pilgrim, so I'll probably be by myself on Wednesday.
I just got back from watching this film by myself. I loved the movie, but I don't know if I'll go to a movie theater by myself again any time soon. I felt like I was being judged by the seven people in the theater.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I was the only person in the cinema, cleaning guy came in a few mins early thinking it was empty lol

I enjoyed it. Not as good as the comic but it was still a ton of fun. I could see the direction they were originally going with, the end did seem rushed and changed at the last minute. I was sitting there thinking. Wait did we get the original ending.

Will buy on bluray and watch many more times.

evlcookie said:
I was the only person in the cinema, cleaning guy came in a few mins early thinking it was empty lol

I enjoyed it. Not as good as the comic but it was still a ton of fun. I could see the direction they were originally going with, the end did seem rushed and changed at the last minute. I was sitting there thinking. Wait did we get the original ending.

Will buy on bluray and watch many more times.

Yeah. Me, my brother and a buddy were the only ones at the very end. NO ONE STAYED!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom