• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rikichi

So i just got back from watching the film. One of the best films I've seen this year. To be honest, I've never read any of the books and could care less about Michael Cera, but i gotta admit, for this specific role, i think he played it very well.

Stylistically, the movie had that going in spades. One thing also, the fight scenes were very well choreographed. The music was awesome and the scene with that envy chick, so cool and sexy.

I'm a fan now, gonna have to buy all 6 volumes and the soundtracks. Speaking of cool shit, I saw this awesome poster on eBay today:

15g8o3p.png

Currently the bid is at about 80 bucks and about 2 days left. Worth the plunge?

It's so fuckin cool...

Forkball

I finally saw this movie, and I have to admit I was immensely entertained. This will definitely be a cult classic and it will be remembered as a zeitgeist of early 20 something slacker/geek/college kid culture. The visual style was awesome and it was always introducing something new, I actually thought the movie was way longer than it really is because the fast editing allowed for a lot of story and dialogue. There weren't so many laugh out loud moments, but there were a lot of memorable gags that will hold up better on multiple viewings, unlike say The Other Guys which has a lot of big laughs, but they will probably not be nearly as enjoyable on repeat viewings. I don't think it's the greatest movie of all time or anything, but I think it's one of the few movies that really captures the lifestyle and humor of our generation.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I finally saw this movie as well and damn, its still all sinking in how awesome it was. So much at once, jesus.

I'm totally dragging my friend who dragged me to The Expendables last weekend to Scott Pilgrim again this weekend.

(I liked Expendables, but I was also pretty drunk when I saw it.)

soultron

Banned
I'm fiending for this movie again. I've already seen it twice. The only time I've done multiple visits to the theatre was Dark Knight.

I just don't have anyone to see it with now. My buddy and I went to see it on Tuesday, and it was his third time seeing it. I took my other buddy and his GF out to it Wednesday. (They both loved it.) But a lot of my friends have already seen it now -- some have seen it twice.

Damnit. Considering going alone. Haha.

soultron said:
I'm fiending for this movie again. I've already seen it twice. The only time I've done multiple visits to the theatre was Dark Knight.

I just don't have anyone to see it with now. My buddy and I went to see it on Tuesday, and it was his third time seeing it. I took my other buddy and his GF out to it Wednesday. (They both loved it.) But a lot of my friends have already seen it now -- some have seen it twice.

Damnit. Considering going alone. Haha.
Where do you live, I've seen it four times but am totally down to see it again (and am planing to already with some coworkers that haven't seen it yet but want to). I live in Burbank CA, though.

brb

I'm so lucky I still have friends who haven't seen it yet :) Gives me an excuse to see it a forth time! I seriously can't get enough of this movie (or the comics for that matter... or the game... or the soundtracks... the whole franchise in general).

Such a shame there aren't going to be anymore comics/movies/games/music to continue my thirst for everything Scott Pilgrim. I suppose there is that fan-made 8th evil-ex contest. I have no artistic talent but I'd be damned if I didn't at least try to win that sweet SP skateboard deck.

Here is a link for my fellow (US) gaffers to join in the aforementioned contest.
Probably posted before but here it is again:
http://news.deviantart.com/article/125655/

MNC said:
Where is everyone getting footage from!?

High quality cam rips from torrents.

Universal released so many clips, you'd probably have one third of the movie, if you cut them together

e: And holy shit, that poster is fucking awesome.

ezekial45

Banned
Expendable. said:
can't believe it's only going to make $4.5m this weekend :(

Thats heartbreaking. :"(

They probably should've released it towards the end of August, or in September. It's just way too crowded now.

Expendable. said:
can't believe it's only going to make $4.5m this weekend :(

I know we don't need a sequel, it was a one-time thing only and that we're getting it in glorious Hi-def with the blu-ray release, but GODDAMN! Really? Losing to an 80s action movie, a movie made for housewives AND another parody movie made by this vile duo?

Jesus.......seriously. Seriously! SERIOUSLY!!

SketchTheArtist said:
I know we don't need a sequel, it was a one-time thing only and that we're getting it in glorious Hi-def with the blu-ray release, but GODDAMN! Really? Losing to an 80s action movie, a movie made for housewives AND another parody movie made by this vile duo?

Jesus.......seriously. Seriously! SERIOUSLY!!

Don't forget Piranha 3D!

I couldn't see it last weekend because it was an expensive week and I had no money.

I can't see it this weekend because my girlfriend wanted to go out last night and go to the CNE today.

I hope it's still in theatres next weekend.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Dead said:
http://www.boxoffice.com/statistics/bo_numbers/early_estimate/2010-08-21

Wow, according to estimates, it will fall to number 10 this weekend :(
So if SP had premiered this weekend instead, it would still have ended up 5th.

lunarworks said:
I couldn't see it last weekend because it was an expensive week and I had no money.

I can't see it this weekend because my girlfriend wanted to go out last night and go to the CNE today.

I hope it's still in theatres next weekend.
Just try to catch it on a weeknight then.

I know it's been said often, but the underperformance is heartbreaking if only for the notion that Hollywood suits now have further incentive to place all bets on safe sequels and remakes, even though Expendables relied on star power and Eat, Pray, Love* on its star and its like 4 billion weeks on the NY Times bestseller list (how is that still a marketing push? What doesn't make the NYT bestseller list these days?).

*And seriously, FUCK Eat, Pray, Love.

I kind of want to see Piranha 3D. :(

Zabka

Gooster said:
I know it's been said often, but the underperformance is heartbreaking if only for the notion that Hollywood suits now have further incentive to place all bets on safe sequels and remakes, even though Expendables relied on star power and Eat, Pray, Love* on its star and its like 4 billion weeks on the NY Times bestseller list (how is that still a marketing push? What doesn't make the NYT bestseller list these days?).
You're being a little overdramatic here. Only 2 movies in the top 10 are sequels, and if there's any lesson studios are taking away from this it's about the lead actor.

There's never a shortage of good movies. This isn't an amazing piece of art that was carrying the credibility of the medium on it's back. There's countless good movies with all sorts of budgets out every year.

Draft

Gooster said:

*And seriously, FUCK Eat, Pray, Love.

I kind of want to see Piranha 3D. :(
You're right. Now that SP has bombed, the fledgling comic book adaption movie genre is in serious jeopardy.

Draft said:
You're right. Now that SP has bombed, the fledgling comic book adaption movie genre is in serious jeopardy.

:lol

Seriously, we should just be glad that one true classic got out the gates that wasn't a massive franchise and simultaneously shut down potentially dozens of pieces of shit that were probably in the pipeline.

Hell, maybe they'll shut down Kick Ass 2! But seriously, garbage comic adaptations had to be put down. Scott died to save us all.

I went to see the movie. It was pretty cool, especially the first half. I didn't like they made Ramona a bitch - I don't think she was nearly as bad in the comic. Ending was meh. Cera was average, but the others were very good. The exes rocked.
Envy was not close to being hot enough, though.

rush777

Man what an experience, Felt like I was watching a movie playing a game and reading a comic all at once. As someone who had no idea what I was getting into I felt like this is the most original film I've seen in forever. I also really liked the soundtrack, it just all fit perfectly.

G-Fex

You know only reading the first Volume I have to say they kept pretty damn accurate and covered most if not the whole thing. I suppose that's important since it lays down the foundation of the whole story. I didn't read the other volumes but I'm assuming they put the most important parts of them in as well maybe not covering everything. Either way it was a very well written story that wasn't rushed or anything.

Oh and look what I got today.

IMG00144.jpg

That link work?

DON'T LEAVE ME HANGING G-FEX WHAT DID YOU GOT TODAY?

Seriously though if there's an image in your post it's not loading.

Edit: There it goes. Sweet! Where did you get it?

G-Fex

Wal-mart.

Rather have the poster that says a epic epic of epicness at the bottom though but this is sooooo awesome to have though.

Watching the clash at the demonhead video, wow Envy does look like Misa-amane in that outfit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom