• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.
G-Fex said:
IMG00144.jpg
SHIT nice poster G-fex :D i was listening to that damn song a lot last night...told you it got stuck in my head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3NNpMj91eA

G-Fex said:
You know only reading the first Volume I have to say they kept pretty damn accurate and covered most if not the whole thing. I suppose that's important since it lays down the foundation of the whole story. I didn't read the other volumes but I'm assuming they put the most important parts of them in as well maybe not covering everything. Either way it was a very well written story that wasn't rushed or anything.

Oh and look what I got today.

IMG00144.jpg

That link work?

Ok, going to Wal-Mart right now to see if they have any. I was just thinking about getting one off of eBay this morning!

Gooster said:
I'm sure every future comic adaptation will be absolute gold...
? They have been good and bad and will continue that way. Scott Pilgrim may have been good ,but its bombing doesn't effect comic book movies at all. Its hardly even the best comic adaption either.

G-Fex

Rahxephon91 said:
? They have been good and bad and will continue that way. Scott Pilgrim may have been good ,but its bombing doesn't effect comic book movies at all. Its hardly even the best comic adaption either.

It is to me (Well it's up there with Batman 89), it's also the best video game adaptation either even though it wasn't based on one. :D

Scarecrow

It may be a long shot for you guys, but if you want that poster, you could ask your local theater to give one to you. After movies are done, they either throw away or give away the posters to employees/customers who ask for them. That one is the teaser poster (I asked for that one at the theater I work at.)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Rahxephon91 said:
That's right. It was Daredevil.

ezekial45 said:
Thats heartbreaking. :"(

They probably should've released it towards the end of August, or in September. It's just way too crowded now.

If they had to avoid freakin' VAMPIRES SUCK and THE EXPENDABLES, they were doomed to begin with. It's not crowded, middle August is about as empty-wasteland as you get for the box office, except for maybe January. In September the Oscar-contending films start to trickle in (traditionally, although they're starting to bunch up around December).

It's disappointing for Edgar Wright but it doesn't land him in director jail or anything, just because the film is so obviously well-made. Cera really, really looks like box office poison now, though.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Just got back from the movie, loved it. They changed some things from the books, but I can see why they did it. Loved the cast too, Cera did a lot better as SP that I would have thought, and overall the whole cast was chosen extremely well.

They didn't really explore Ramona leaving in between and Scott Finding Gideon in her head, would have liked to see that.

Great movie though, will buy day 1 on BluRay. :D

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I thought
the rejections from all Scott's exes when he tries to get back with them was a huge part of the comic and building Scott's character
and was kinda saddened that was left out but yet it was understandable considering how much is already packed into this movie.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
G-Fex said:
You know only reading the first Volume I have to say they kept pretty damn accurate and covered most if not the whole thing. I suppose that's important since it lays down the foundation of the whole story. I didn't read the other volumes but I'm assuming they put the most important parts of them in as well maybe not covering everything.
Not really. For the first two volumes it's very close, but after that stuff starts getting chopped. Almost all the important events from 4-6 have been rewritten.

Mr Jared

The girlfriend and I just got back from watching Scott Pilgrim for a second time. Rumors of its box office demise this weekend have been greatly exag-

10ofbj5.jpg

Oh. Nevermind.

There were actually two others in the theater with us, but it turns out they were hopping screens and left to go watch Vampires Suck. But hey, Scott Pilgrim was even better the second time!

G-Fex

Like I said before it's their loss. They want to go watch some piece of crap from the makers of Epic Movie well...let them.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
For obvious reasons, this film is doing extremely well in Toronto from what I can see. Our 3:00pm show time at Scotia downtown was sold out.

The movie itself was decent, if not a bit over the top, even for me. :lol

G-Fex

EvilMario said:
For obvious reasons, this film is doing extremely well in Toronto from what I can see. Our 3:00pm show time at Scotia downtown was sold out.

I'm guessing there's a lot of Scott Pilgrim fans in Canada?

Mr Jared said:
The girlfriend and I just got back from watching Scott Pilgrim for a second time. Rumors of its box office demise this weekend have been greatly exag-

10ofbj5.jpg

Oh. Nevermind.

There were actually two others in the theater with us, but it turns out they were hopping screens and left to go watch Vampires Suck. But hey, Scott Pilgrim was even better the second time!

Did you actually take that? That's a pretty fantastic picture.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
This movie was alright. I dunno about this Edgar Wright fellow. I thought Hot Fuzz kind of sucked. I heart Shaun of the Dead. Scott Pilgrim is in the middle.

Honestly, Scott Pilgram was almost exactly what I expected. A little too long, too visually aggressive, and Cera doing his thing. The movie will be a cult hit, no doubt. I just won't be part of it.

I'm not sure I'm going to look forward to Edgar Wright movies anymore. Hot Fuzz and Scott Pilgrim don't live up to how awesome Shaun of the Dead was.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
BobsRevenge said:
This movie was alright. I dunno about this Edgar Wright fellow. I thought Hot Fuzz kind of sucked. I heart Shaun of the Dead. Scott Pilgrim is in the middle.

Honestly, Scott Pilgram was almost exactly what I expected. A little too long, too visually aggressive, and Cera doing his thing. The movie will be a cult hit, no doubt. I just won't be part of it.

I'm not sure I'm going to look forward to Edgar Wright movies anymore. Hot Fuzz and Scott Pilgrim don't live up to how awesome Shaun of the Dead was.
It's not Edgar Wright's fault. You just have bad taste.

BobsRevenge

AgentWhiskersX said:
It's not Edgar Wright's fault. You just have bad taste.
I like Ingmar Bergman, bitch.

edit: Also, I have to say, Jason Schwartzman was as awesome as ever. The dude needs to be in about half of the movies coming out in the future.

BobsRevenge said:

Well I can't agree that Hot Fuss sucked ,but the I did think it was a little weak compared to Shaun. I can't pin point why, but maybe because it took way to long to get going. Though when it did get going it was quite awesome.

As for Scott Pilgrim, I'm starting to come over, but the sheer praise the movie is getting is kind of annoying if you ask me. In the end the fan base will kill the movie for me. The movie did feel a little long, not because it was ,but because it started to become a little tiring with its shtick. It also just wasn't able to keep the moumentem that was present earlier in the movie. As for the visuals, they were ok ,but I just wasn't blown away by the look of the movie like most are.

But I don't know. The movie was good, I just can't grasp all "the best movie ever" comments I've been seeing.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Both my theatres here in Vancouver were packed with a excited audience.. Second time I saw it was just a random Thursday, too.

Dont understand the hate for Hot Fuzz. It just elevated the parody/homage genre for Edgar Wright. Shaun of the Dead pales in comparison big time.

So gooood. And it just gets ridiculous in the last half hour.

BobsRevenge

Discotheque said:
Dont understand the hate for Hot Fuzz. It just elevated the parody/homage genre for Edgar Wright. Shaun of the Dead pales in comparison big time.

So gooood. And it just gets ridiculous in the last half hour.
Well, the action just wasn't that good. When you have movies going so far over-the-top like Shoot Em Up, Hot Fuzz loses any edge it had. The humor and drama weren't as good as Shaun of the Dead's either, so it just felt impotent. I was pretty bored for most of it, and I saw it in the theater. You can't parody action movies with such a kind approach.

Rahxephon91 said:
As for Scott Pilgrim, I'm starting to come over, but the sheer praise the movie is getting is kind of annoying if you ask me. In the end the fan base will kill the movie for me.

Don't be that guy. It's ridiculous to let a fanbase affect your opinion of a movie or band.

Rahxephon91 said:
As for Scott Pilgrim, I'm starting to come over, but the sheer praise the movie is getting is kind of annoying if you ask me. In the end the fan base will kill the movie for me. The movie did feel a little long, not because it was ,but because it started to become a little tiring with its shtick. It also just wasn't able to keep the moumentem that was present earlier in the movie. As for the visuals, they were ok ,but I just wasn't blown away by the look of the movie like most are.

But I don't know. The movie was good, I just can't grasp all "the best movie ever" comments I've been seeing.

:lol

I'm just envisioning him watching the movie
Like forum post quotes running past his head
:lol :lol
Like in those old movies when the drunk guy was walking through a black background
And signs would be running past him
:lol :lol :lol
"ZOMG DUDE A HIPSTER'S DELIGHT"
"BEST MOVIE I EVER SAW"
"Cera is CERA-IOUSLY awesome"

oh my god
i'm sorry but like the brassy jazz playing in the background
i'm dyin'

MedHead

I just got back from seeing the movie. The trailer captured the pacing of the movie, but I don't think it really captured the mood; at least, what the movie ended up being and what I expected were two different things.

I enjoyed the movie's gaming references, which was what I expected was going to be the worst aspect of the film. I was glad I was wrong in that assumption. I'm not sure why Scott Pilgrim thought Ramona was worth the effort, because there really wasn't anything about her that stood out from the rest of the girls in the movie. I'm also still not certain if Scott actually killed the exes or if he just beat them at a video game, and that whole element of the film kinda weirded me out a little.

It was worth the ticket; I enjoyed the film. I was one of six people in the theater.

BobsRevenge

MedHead said:
I just got back from seeing the movie. The trailer captured the pacing of the movie, but I don't think it really captured the mood; at least, what the movie ended up being and what I expected were two different things.

I enjoyed the movie's gaming references, which was what I expected was going to be the worst aspect of the film. I was glad I was wrong in that assumption. I'm not sure why Scott Pilgrim thought Ramona was worth the effort, because there really wasn't anything about her that stood out from the rest of the girls in the movie. I'm also still not certain if Scott actually killed the exes or if he just beat them at a video game, and that whole element of the film kinda weirded me out a little.

It was worth the ticket; I enjoyed the film. I was one of six people in the theater.
I wasn't bothered by it. I mean, he killed them, but it isn't supposed to matter because its all a big video game perspective. I mean, Scott even
dies himself and uses his 1-Up to come back to life

MedHead

BobsRevenge said:
I wasn't bothered by it. I mean, he killed them, but it isn't supposed to matter because its all a big video game perspective. I mean, Scott even
dies himself and uses his 1-Up to come back to life
It was that sequence that really helped me understand that Scott Pilgrim didn't live on Earth, and we were seeing a stylized version of his view of events, but rather lived on Video Game Earth, where violent murders are mundane, and death doesn't really matter. I still felt weird about that aspect of the film, but at least I got a little closer to understanding the universe of the movie and the reactions of the characters inside it.

Saw the movie, never read the comics. I think it's a shame that it didn't perform well as it's a great movie. Hope it does well on the dvd scene.

Oli

Just got back from seeing it. And WOW, that was awesome.

I was actually not expecting much, but I was really pleasantly surprised. The characters were all pretty well represented (Knives Chau <3) and story from the books was told about as well as can be imagined with a short movie runtime. The music was awesome, the direction was superb. I loved the quick pace of it all, and as it was starting to wrap up I was sad, cause I wanted to keep watching it!

For a moment I thought they were going to completely change the ending and have Scott go with Knives, but I'm happy it stayed true to the original plot. Though who could resist Knives really... REALLY?!

Oli

BobsRevenge said:
The Knives
stalker
scene was so goddamn hilarious. :lol :lol :lol

So perfect.

The scene where
She's going crazy in her room with her friend
was amazing! :lol

Lijik

BenjaminBirdie said:

I'm just envisioning him watching the movie
Like forum post quotes running past his head
Like in those old movies when the drunk guy was walking through a black background
And signs would be running past him
:lol :lol :lol
"ZOMG DUDE A HIPSTER'S DELIGHT"
"BEST MOVIE I EVER SAW"
"Cera is CERA-IOUSLY awesome"

oh my god
i'm sorry but like the brassy jazz playing in the background
i'm dyin'
The mental image was hilarious enough but i lost it at "CERA-OUSLY AWESOME" :lol :lol

sn00zer

It is a videogame movie:

Ramona is Princess Peach (NES)...No real reason to be with her, but deep down there is the willingness to go to hell and back to be with her

Exes are literally boss battles, they are not metaphorical fights, they are what you see on screen, points and everything

Everyone can fight regardless of profession... this is not seen as unusual in videogames

Reloading from a Checkpoint...holy shit

I like thinking of the movie as not being metaphorical in any way. The characters are living in this world, the smacks the blams are are physically there. People are really bursting into coins. Just so awesome considering how well it all works

Scarecrow said:
It may be a long shot for you guys, but if you want that poster, you could ask your local theater to give one to you. After movies are done, they either throw away or give away the posters to employees/customers who ask for them. That one is the teaser poster (I asked for that one at the theater I work at.)

At some theatres, they use mylars instead of an led or lcd display for showtimes. Those make great bookmarks.

Jintor

MedHead said:
It was that sequence that really helped me understand that Scott Pilgrim didn't live on Earth, and we were seeing a stylized version of his view of events, but rather lived on Video Game Earth, where violent murders are mundane, and death doesn't really matter. I still felt weird about that aspect of the film, but at least I got a little closer to understanding the universe of the movie and the reactions of the characters inside it.

Edgar Wright's analogy was to treat it like a musical. When everybody does a show-stopping musical number, nobody really notices.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
EvilMario said:

Yup, saw it in my city of Brampton and when they gave a shout out in the movie during one of the band's intros the whole crowd (Yes it was full of people) cheered. Kinda made me think if they did localized versions for Scarborough, etc.

Mr Jared

BenjaminBirdie said:
Did you actually take that? That's a pretty fantastic picture.

Yes, and on an iPhone no less :lol I'm half tempted to photoshop "Scott Pilgrim vs The Box Office" onto it.

So any word on international numbers yet?

The_Technomancer said:
Oh yeah, my theater does this! It would be awesome to get one of those.

Get your hands on them cause they just throw them out when they're done. I feel kinda bad when i dump em out after we're finished with the movie.

Of course I'm gonna snag all the Scott Pilgrim stuff I can at my theatre :D

Finally got to see it today (I was really sick last weekend) and man, I friggin' loved it.

I wasn't crazy about volume 6 of the books, but I loved the way the movie ended. It would have been nice if they had more time to put in a little more of the character bits, but I think they got everything in that needed to be there.

Was a little bummed my absolute favourite scene from the comics didn't make it in though (the
Honest Ed's "fight" scene
), but I didn't really expect it to be in there as it would have spent too much time on Todd.

big ander

ThirstyFly said:
Finally got to see it today (I was really sick last weekend) and man, I friggin' loved it.

I wasn't crazy about volume 6 of the books, but I loved the way the movie ended. It would have been nice if they had more time to put in a little more of the character bits, but I think they got everything in that needed to be there.

Was a little bummed my absolute favourite scene from the comics didn't make it in though (the
Honest Ed's "fight" scene
), but I didn't really expect it to be in there as it would have spent too much time on Todd.
Hated that fight. It was a ham-fisted criticism of consumerism. It was so weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom