• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.
jaekwon15 said:
have these been posted?
Lucas-Lee-poste.jpg

Lucas-Lee-poster2.jpg

Lucas-Lee-poster3.jpg

Lucas-Lee-poster4.jpg

Lucas-Lee-poster5.jpg
those are fucking awesome :lol :D id watch those movies

jett said:
Could Michael Cera be any uglier?
not at all.

is the character this movie based off an unattractive, nerd type? I mean...is that how that character is *supposed* to be? because when a guy (or girl) is really unattractive, it tends to make it cheesy when really cute people are attracted to them (think: maggie gyllenhaal in TDK).

Jintor

Why the eff can't I buy MP3s off Amazon outside of the States? If I weren't such a huge bloody fan of Scott Pilgrim I'd be sorely tempted to resort to less legitimate means. I WANT TO GIVE YOU MY MONEY GUYS

Dreams-Visions said:
not at all.

is the character this movie based off an unattractive, nerd type? I mean...is that how that character is *supposed* to be? because when a guy (or girl) is really unattractive, it tends to make it cheesy when really cute people are attracted to them (think: maggie gyllenhaal in TDK).

Maggie Gyllenhaal is yummy, shut yo' mouth.

maggie-gyllenhaal.jpg

DarwinMayflower

Neo Member
I give the film a 7/7. The changes from the novel were beyond well suited, they were strokes of genius. Wright gets it right.

I fucking loved the film. Granted Cera was the weakest link of the casting since everyone else was on fucking point. That isn't to say that Cera shat the bed, he was GREAT. Even though I love the fuck out of Kim and felt the tiniest bit of disappointment she didn't get the role that Knives filled out in the end product, it made absolute sense. That's what I meant about the changes being strokes of genius. The awesome reassignment of memorable scenes just made all the fuck more memorable. Case in point:

Knives being the replacement Kim: Being the most recent relationship, it made sense to use her as the one to sincerely apologize to. An amazing way to keep consistency and show character development.

Envy's weakpoint being Roxy's weakpoint: I've always been a bit "meh" on the idea of Roxy and Ramona's relationship expressed in the series. It wasn't the amicable way they can exist without absolutely hating each other as EXs, but that was the first volume where far more emphasis was put into exploring the involvement of Ramona's exes within the book as opposed to a "ex appears...fight" method of 1-3. With that said, making Ramona tell Scott about Roxy's weakpoint sets it up for the argument afterward, but also tells the audience in a span of 20 seconds sincerely how intimate Ramona was with Roxy as opposed to showing off pages about learning how to be ninja and shit. I would love to have seen the Envy Ramona fight, but this is Scott Pilgrim.

Let's both be girls: Holy shit...this point is twofold because it's almost like Wright knows which buttons to press to disappoint, but knows the perfect geek lever to erase all fanrage over an omitted portion of the film. In two cases, missing out the Todd Ingram knee and switched it over to Gideon...when I heard him say "Still my girl" my nerd boner past the pre-fluff stage and straight into money shot. Fucking BRILLIANT reassignment of a part in the book to film. The second point, awwww....only the sword of love is present at the end of the film? After a 1-up/ Sands of Time rewind which would have made the Sword of Self Respect seem redundant having just obtained the sword in the same scene, making it another timeline/redo makes it less redundant and meaningful. Holy fucking, I have two boners.

One of the more important things about an adaptation is when does an actor/actress actually "become" the character. While Cera is being Cera a lot of the time, the moment when I thought he actually was Scott was
when he was in Bed with Ramona and smiling at the relationship developing
From therein he seemed really Scottish at least a more believable interpretation of Scott.

This film is easily one of the best films I've seen all year and one the best films being a fun film playing within it's medium.

I've now seen the movie five times, and two of the people I took with me during my second viewing have each seen it a second time on their own now too! And I still have three more coworkers that are interested in seeing it, so I might actually end up seeing this movie 6/7 times in theaters :lol I think that might be a record for me.

Also, the SPvtW game's soundtrack release inspired me to get the rest of Anamanaguchi's music and HOLY FUCK they are amazing. Just, oh my God. I want to make music like this but I have no idea what kind of program to use on OSX to make chip tunes.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
WordAssassin said:
I've now seen the movie five times, and two of the people I took with me during my second viewing have each seen it a second time on their own now too! And I still have three more coworkers that are interested in seeing it, so I might actually end up seeing this movie 6/7 times in theaters :lol I think that might be a record for me.

Also, the SPvtW game's soundtrack release inspired me to get the rest of Anamanaguchi's music and HOLY FUCK they are amazing. Just, oh my God. I want to make music like this but I have no idea what kind of program to use on OSX to make chip tunes.
I don't know for sure.. but don't real chiptune artists run some sort of homebrew program on actual game hardware, and then record/arrange it?

I know for sure the Game Boy people are using LittleSound DJ (but that may be because the original GB amp is so crunchy and delicious compared to emulation - similarly Mega Drive/Genny sound emulation is nothing compared to actual hardware)

I'm not sure HOW they do it. I have an NES synth app for my iPhone that does a decent job, but it's not nearly fleshed out enough to write actual music with. Also:

AdultSwim.com Message Boards said:
Just wanted to throw my hat into the ring and say:

A) I want this so bad.

B) I hope that an animated series would explore things that didn't get covered in other mediums, such as the "10 Secrets" that O'Malley gave each of the characters. For example, if they had an episode that showed Ramona dealing with the death of her kid brother. Could be very interesting, and give the characters more depth.

HOLY FUCK WHAT!?!

Ok GAF time to make a list, what are these 10 secrets for each character, GO! I know one of Julie's is that she's secretly in love with Scott, and Scott's #1 secret is that the books are an exaggerated retelling of his life through his own warped memory. WHAT ARE THE OTHER SECRETS OMGGGGG

Roto13 said:
Bollywood makes everything more awesome.
ha. true story.

I also just found out Kinves (well, the girl that played her) is like 25. I can now look at her and not feel like a perv for wanting to beat that up.

BocoDragon

Dreams-Visions said:
ha. true story.

I also just found out Kinves (well, the girl that played her) is like 25. I can now look at her and not feel like a perv for wanting to beat that up.
well you know...... asian girls blah blah.

fernoca

Yeah.
Loved Satya Bhabha playing Matthew Patel. (and he looks nothing like the character :O!!)
His fight and the whole dance and singing (spoiler?) set the tone for the movie quite well.

Also:
"You punched me in a boob! Prepare to die! Obviously!"
Made me laugh a lot for some reason.

BocoDragon

fernoca said:
Yeah.
Loved Satya Bhabha playing Matthew Patel. (and he looks nothing like the character :O!!)
His fight and the whole dance and singing set the tone for the movie quite well..
IMO the whole Bollywood thing was one of the funniest things in the movie.. and it wasn't in the book.

fernoca

At least the game will be released on Xbox Live in a matter of hours. I want to see this movie so much, for a 4th time! :lol

Loved the making of that HBO aired, even recorded it. Hope many things from there end in the DVD/Bluray; like the training the cast went through.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
fernoca said:
At least the game will be released on Xbox Live in a matter of hours. I want to see this movie so much, for a 4th time! :lol

Loved the making of that HBO aired, even recorded it. Hope many things from there end in the DVD/Bluray; like the training the cast went through.

The bluray will be badass. Heard there is some deleted scenes on it. Hopefully that turns out to be true.

BocoDragon said:
IMO the whole Bollywood thing was one of the funniest things in the movie.. and it wasn't in the book.
You need to reread the first volume again because that scene is in there. They took the lyrics of his song in the movie directly off the pages of the comic, but instead of him singing it back-and-fourth in a song battle with Sex Bob-Omb, he sings the whole thing himself.

1013661-pateltop_super.jpg
02-09-2008%2002%3B46%3B31PM.JPG
250px-Patel.PNG

BocoDragon

DeathbyVolcano said:
Yes it was? It wasn't explicitly stated in the comics that it was Bollywood, but c'mon, it was pretty obvious.

It may have been intended... but without music and a little dance, it just wasn't in the book.

WordAssassin said:
IMG]http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/02-09-2008%2002%3B46%3B31PM.JPG[/IMG]

No musical notes. No quotes that are remeniscent of Bollywood. No implication of dancing.

It might as well have been a hip hop number or a Final Fantasy standoff... (but of course he's Indian so of course it was Bollywood... but no, the flavor was not actually n the book. It's a book.)

fernoca said:
Yeah, I haven't read the comics. But this clip made it look like it was in the comics too. With the characters striking poses and everything. :lol
This is much better then my scans, it's the scans set TO the song.

Edit: The hell are you talking about? No implication they're dancing? Uh, what do you think Scott and the whole band are doing when they're pointing? The whole thing is supposed to read like a musical dance number. It might not be implied that it's a bollywood thing but it's sure as shooting implied that it's a musical scene.

BocoDragon

Yeah you really miss the point. Song and dance routines work better in movies. You can't even see them in a book.

My "no implication of dancing" meant: you don't see what the dances are supposed to be. Implication of THE dancing.

I was unaware that mattered. You said that entire scene was not in the comics, it very clearly IS in the comics, with the lyrics of Matthew's song taken right out of the comics. You said then that it was not implied that was a musical scene, to quote you exactly, "No implication of dancing" to which we have countered that it very much IS implied it is musical, because the Sex Bob-Ombs and Pattel are engaging in a rhyming word battle while they are shown doing dance poses. I don't know how much clearer a comic can be about showing a dance/musical sequence. I have the book in my hand, right now, I don't know how you could possibly misinterpret this segment as anything other than a musical dance battle.

Or did you want O'Malley to include a chord chart for the song as well, like he did earlier in Volume One, so that is could be explicitly stated that there was singing and dancing going on?

Edit: Speaking of which, still surprised that song wasn't in the movie at all since it was already written in the book. Maybe that's one of the 21 songs Beck did that wasn't used?

BocoDragon

WordAssassin said:
You said then that it was not implied that was a musical scene, to quote you exactly, "No implication of dancing" to which we have countered that it very much IS implied it is musical, because the Sex Bob-Ombs and Pattel are engaging in a rhyming word battle while they are shown doing dance poses.
I also said earlier: "It may have been intended... but without music and a little dance, it just wasn't in the book"

While I didn't write it properly, I intended to say that there was no implication of the specific dancing style. I got the musical standoff... but there was no actual Bollywood song or dance in the comic. It could have been totally Bollywood, but it was not really funny without the actual act. That's it.

And no it doesn't matter. :lol Let's chill.

Ok ok, yeah there's no implication of it being specifically Bollywood, that's totally true. I thought you meant there was just no implication of it being a dance/musical thing so I was like WTF? :lol

BocoDragon

WordAssassin said:
Ok ok, yeah there's no implication of it being specifically Bollywood, that's totally true. I thought you meant there was just no implication of it being a dance/musical thing so I was like WTF? :lol
I get that :lol

mandiller

I just came back from seeing the movie. It was completely awesome. I went with a friend and we were both laughing our arses off. At the moment its a tie between Scott Pilgrim and Inception as to which is the best movie this year.

I loved the Vegan powers bit, it was so random.

We're resolved our misunderstanding like grown-ups.

I mean, we're all grown-ups here, right?

[CUT TO] Fernoca standing outside, face pressed against the glass.

NAME: FERNOCA
RATING: HORNY?

BocoDragon

Here's a quest for the blu-ray release: I want to know what NES and SNES games Wallace owns.

Edgar Wright gets extra points if they are actually: Clash at Demonhead, Crash N The Boys: Street Challenge, Double Dragon, Super Mario Bros 2 (subspace doors!), Final Fantasy II (North American SNES version), Link to the Past, Mario All-Stars.... and River City Ransom in honor of the SP game.

Koodo

Banned
Just saw this yesterday night. Pacing was out of the wahoo. Seriously, the movie slowed down to a crawl in a few instances, an issue made all the more glaring as the slow sections followed the hyper-stylized, energetic, BAM BAM scenes.

I liked the movie though. Characters were adorable. Everything just felt so quirky and inviting, and the references made me giddy (nerdgasm when the
Zelda music
came on). But I haven't made up my mind yet if I liked it enough to love it. Every single scene was gorgeously stylized, but the movie wasn't the continuous injection of psychedelic energy I was expecting it to be.

Favorite part: the fight between
Ramona and Roxy
. Holy fuck, I was dazzled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom