• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazzem

Just saw it! :D (UK GAFer here)

As someone who had read the comics, I absolutely loved it, as did the two friends I went with (though we are all video game nerds, the other two hadn't read the source material). Script was solid, actors were well cast and great, action scenes were brilliantly shot and with lots of visual sensation and the pacing was excellent; no dragging, no wondering what the time was, I was hooked all the way through.

Is it perfect? Nah, but then most of the problems I had were understandable. It was a shame to see the likes of
Envy Adams/Kim/Stephen
lose a bit of weight in their back-stories, and for
Lisa
to be a no-show, but it was a cram to get all six volumes in as it was. I do think Scott and Ramona's relationship felt a bit more believable (as much as it could in an evil-ex universe...) in the comics as well, but the movie seems to focus more on letting skeletons in the closet go, which was a wise move given the need to have all seven fights in. It was a shame to see things like Scott getting a job and the like go, but call it an opportunity cost, as the movie gets more than enough in without having more than it can do justice to given the running time.

Movie was hilarious, I was with a almost-packed theatre who seemed to be digging it. I love that they seemed to take a handful of the best jokes from the comics combined with some very clever ones thrown in. Also think the movie handled certain scenes better,
like the extra life. Having Scott go through the 'final level' again knowing what was to come was hilarious and so easy to relate to for anyone who plays games :lol
. I'd probably say the character development and overall story was best in the comics, whilst the fight scenes and humour better in the film. Makes sense really, as both had their respective mediums to take advantage of those particular aspects.

Also...was anyone disappointed in a odd way that Sex Bob-Omb didn't really suck? :lol It made sense for them not to so that the film's soundtrack wouldn't have to suffer, but it's never felt so wrong getting into a band :p

Anyway, great flick, even if it's not one that not everyone's going to get (for instance, I'm not sure if my parents, who enjoyed Hot Fuzz, would get this, but you never know). Going to be seeing it again :D It's a great movie for the cinema.

JAD0109

Neo Member
G-Fex said:
Right thanks! Either way good stuff. :lol

Anytime! I've seen the movie six times* so far, so I can probably recite the entire script word for word at this point.

*hopefully going for a seventh Sunday afternoon

EDIT:

Jazzem said:
Anyway, great flick, even if it's not one that not everyone's going to get (for instance, I'm not sure if my parents, who enjoyed Hot Fuzz, would get this, but you never know). Going to be seeing it again :D It's a great movie for the cinema.

While our parents could be completely different, I seriously doubt taking a parent to see this movie would turn out well.

I took my mom with me to see it (yeah, go ahead and laugh) once last week and the entire ride home was filled with a "what the fuck was that?"-type rant.

Of course, she went to see (and loved) Eat, Pray, Love. Maybe I need to get a new mom.

Coeliacus

Jazzem said:
like the extra life. Having Scott go through the 'final level' again knowing what was to come was hilarious and so easy to relate to for anyone who plays games :lol
Your hair is stupid. *COINS*
Awesome.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Jazzem said:
Also...was anyone disappointed in a odd way that Sex Bob-Omb didn't really suck? :lol It made sense for them not to so that the film's soundtrack wouldn't have to suffer, but it's never felt so wrong getting into a band :p
Well they do suck, just not enough for you I guess. :lol They can still make catchy stuff and still suck.

Read the LA Times article I posted above regarding the soundtrack, it's a good one.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It will be interesting to see if international audiences are smarter than North America...

G-Fex

JAD0109 said:
Anytime! I've seen the movie six times* so far, so I can probably recite the entire script word for word at this point.

Ah, do you remember the whole
sienfeld scene dialogue?
:D

JAD0109

Neo Member
G-Fex said:
sienfeld scene dialogue?

Yep.
Wallace's facial expressions made that sequnce awesome.

But most of the times I've gone, I've been the only one in there that recognized the music.

I really hate feeling old at 20.

EDIT: I need to get me a blue haired Ramona avatar. I liked pink and green, but I'm currently obsessed with blue.

G-Fex

JAD0109 said:
Yep.
Wallace's facial expressions made that sequnce awesome.

But most of the times I've gone, I've been the only one in there that recognized the music.

I really hate feeling old at 20.

EDIT: I need to get me a blue haired Ramona avatar. I liked pink and green, but I'm currently obsessed with blue.

Yeah I love girls with colored hair. Always thought my dream girl would have pink hair or something. Either way I'll get myself a punkish or hipster girl :lol

Jazzem

Think my favourite movies of the year so far are Toy Story 3, Scott Pilgrim and Inception. Then again, I can't even remember what came out in the early months of the year! After the okay-but-forgettable A-Team and Expendables, Pilgrim was the nirvana-induced cinema trip I needed :D

XiaNaphryz said:
Well they do suck, just not enough for you I guess. :lol They can still make catchy stuff and still suck.

Read the LA Times article I posted above regarding the soundtrack, it's a good one.

Yeah, having read that and listening to the (awesome) soundtrack on youtube...there's an element of suck there :p But as someone (forgive me, I forget who) posted, the rawness of the garage-band style combined with the excellent sound in the cinema made it leave something of an impression. Even then though, I imagined something god-awful going by the way they were described in the comics, as opposed to 'raw' :p But it's a trivial (if not amusing) point to dwell on.

Zanken said:
Your hair is stupid. *COINS*
Awesome.

Haha, loved that :lol
and the running hair-insecurity gag, which made that line even funnier and as a gag was more hilarious than in the comics. Another improvement! If there's one great thing this movie did, it was take humorous bits from the comics and give them excellent timing/acting to make them come to life. Does make me sad though that we didn't get to see Scott asking around for casual sex :lol

JAD0109 said:
While our parents could be completely different, I seriously doubt taking a parent to see this movie would turn out well.

I took my mom with me to see it (yeah, go ahead and laugh) once last week and the entire ride home was filled with a "what the fuck was that?"-type rant.

Of course, she went to see (and loved) Eat, Pray, Love. Maybe I need to get a new mom.

Yeah, that's what I thought. The video game stylings and the culture is something that's going to pass a lot of people by, such as parents like ours (although I could see my mum finding it somewhat fun, maybe). For those that get it though, it's a blast :D

Jazzem said:
Haha, loved that :lol
and the running hair-insecurity gag, which made that line even funnier and as a gag was more hilarious than in the comics. Another improvement! If there's one great thing this movie did, it was take humorous bits from the comics and give them excellent timing/acting to make them come to life. Does make me sad though that we didn't get to see Scott asking around for casual sex :lol

Luckily we got to hear the voice that would have said "INCLUDING YOU" in the Hair Flashbacks.

:lol

discohiro

Just got back from my fourth time seeing this (thanks $4 Fandango ticket)! I always notice something new with every viewing. This time it was the handy list that Ramona hands to Scott. It was a laminate; just what Ramona sarcastically described a moment earlier.

discohiro said:
Just got back from my fourth time seeing this (thanks $4 Fandango ticket)! I always notice something new with every viewing. This time it was the handy list that Ramona hands to Scott. It was a laminate; just what Ramona sarcastically described a moment earlier.

I honestly didn't notice the end of the Photo Booth string until I saw it in your avatar. There's so much detail in this movie, man.

G-Fex

Rahxephon91 said:
I just noticed from watching Scott Pilgrim that the 4th evil ex was George Micheals gf. Pretty nifty.

She has one of the best lines ever.

I'm a little Bi-FURIOUS!

G-Fex said:
She has one of the best lines ever.

I'm a little Bi-FURIOUS!

dude, almost all her lines are awesome....

"prepare to die, obviously..."

"where did you get that from? - cera
"FROM MY BRAIN!" - 4th evil ex

"next time, I'l be deadly serious Next time..."

"You BF's ABOUT TO GET F'D IN THE B!"

"Has-bian"

G-Fex

Fixed2BeBroken said:

"Has-bian"

Oh yeah, those were all great. :lol

Jintor

I love the unspoken hair jokes, like when someone makes a comment about Scott's hair and it just cuts back to him and he suddenly has a beanie on

G-Fex

Jintor said:
I love the unspoken hair jokes, like when someone makes a comment about Scott's hair and it just cuts back to him and he suddenly has a beanie on

Yup even though it's based on a regular comic western manga sorta thing I think this movie is the closest we'll get to a live action anime, the comedy type that is.

Rahk

Probably already been mentioned, but I didn't notice it the first time I saw the movie.
Before Scott fights Gideon the second time there are two guys talking and one of them says 'the movie was good, but the comics are better', then Scott pushes them and gets points.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Rahk said:
Probably already been mentioned, but I didn't notice it the first time I saw the movie.
Before Scott fights Gideon the second time there are two guys talking and one of them says 'the movie was good, but the comics are better', then Scott pushes them and gets points.

i noticed it the first time i saw the movie :D

though i was the only one in the audience that was laughing :lol

fernoca

Fixed2BeBroken said:

"Has-bian"
Yeah. She was so great. Can't believe she's basically the official voice of Tinkerbell in Disney movies/Kingdom Hearts. Quite a big jump as far as characters go. :lol

El Pescado said:
But did Sex Bob-Omb play the songs? Beck is cool and all, but I much prefer the Sex Bob-Omb versions of all the songs on the Soundtrack.

From what I understand they're mostly Beck demos, but it's very possibly that they could have Mark Wells dub over the original vocals and then you'd have a proper sounding Sex Bob-Omb song. I get the sense there is a lot of left over material in general, so it wouldn't surprise me if there isn't at least one or two more "true" Sex Bob-Omb songs sitting on a shelf someplace.

To me, it doesn't matter whether its Beck's version or not, I like the trashy way the songs are written and played, and really hope this stuff gets released soon.

MrSerrels

I don't get the 'Europeans are smarter than Americans so they'll get this movie' talk. Scott Pilgrim is really a pretty dumb movie. It's definitely not a smart movie; just heavily stylised.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
MrSerrels said:
I don't get the 'Europeans are smarter than Americans so they'll get this movie' talk. Scott Pilgrim is really a pretty dumb movie. It's definitely not a smart movie; just heavily stylised.
You're wrong. I don't know who said that and I don't agree with it but not everyone can digest Edgar Wright's style of filmmaking. Not saying you have to be smart per se but in order to catch some things you'd have to be paying close attention.

maharg

idspispopd
I think if nothing else it's a chance to change how they approach marketing the film. Whether they did that or not, I have no idea.

Oyashiro

I just wanted to say that I got the movie soundtrack and I'm absolutely addicted to Black Sheep by Metric. This song is fucking ace.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Came out in UK yesterday, had to take a hour and a half bus to get to a pokey little cinema that was actually playing it.

So awesome.

fernoca said:
Yeah. She was so great. Can't believe she's basically the official voice of Tinkerbell in Disney movies/Kingdom Hearts. Quite a big jump as far as characters go. :lol
Voice of Katara from Avatar:lab as well.

JAD0109 said:

I took my dad to see it and he loved it. He's also read all six books. But it's getting to be a pretty well documented fact here on GAF that I have like the best dad ever. :D

Jazzem

Edgar Wright will be on Fresh Air today. You can stream it at 2pm i believe or download it later tonight. Its an interview about Scott Pilgrim. Im not going to get any work done for that half hour.

Krauser Kat said:
Edgar Wright will be on Fresh Air today. You can stream it at 2pm i believe or download it later tonight. Its an interview about Scott Pilgrim. Im not going to get any work done for that half hour.
Nice, will listen!

Fireye

Oyashiro said:
I just wanted to say that I got the movie soundtrack and I'm absolutely addicted to Black Sheep by Metric. This song is fucking ace.

<3 metric, fit really well in the movie. You should go listen to their other stuff too, though a bit predictable and formulaic at times, it's so f'ing catchy and satisfying to listen to. I'm totally getting the movie soundtrack next time I head to a B&N (or wherever I can find it)

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
-ImaginaryInsider said:
From what I understand they're mostly Beck demos, but it's very possibly that they could have Mark Wells dub over the original vocals and then you'd have a proper sounding Sex Bob-Omb song. I get the sense there is a lot of left over material in general, so it wouldn't surprise me if there isn't at least one or two more "true" Sex Bob-Omb songs sitting on a shelf someplace.
Err, what? All the Sex Bob-Omb versions of the songs do have Wells singing. The Beck versions of the songs sound distinctly different with him doing the lyrics.

And yes, there's a couple of songs that didn't make it in. Again, I refer you to the LA Times article I linked to earlier.

G-Fex said:
sienfeld scene dialogue?

It was beautiful.

Seeing it tonight @ 9.40 again for the second time w/ the girlfriend and a bunch of friends that haven't seen it...but will all love it, can't wait!

demosthenes said:
If you hate this, you have problems.
hey demosthenes once you go out into the real world you're going to realize there are times when people might have tastes and opinions different from yours

it's totally normal, k?

_dementia said:
hey demosthenes once you go out into the real world you're going to realize there are times when people might have tastes and opinions different from yours

it's totally normal, k?

I wasn't being entirely serious, k?

andymcc

Banned
_dementia said:

it's totally normal, k?

my cousin once told me she thinks family guy is funnier than the first nine seasons of the simpsons. that's inexcusably bad taste.

Jazzem

andymcc said:
my cousin once told me she thinks family guy is funnier than the first nine seasons of the simpsons. that's inexcusably bad taste.

If it makes you feel better(worse?), someone told me they thought Family Guy was better because of the swearing and sexual humour :p

Im trying to convince people to see it! My brother had never heard of it and one of my female mates thought I was a promoter for it for the way I went on :lol

oh and the books does the film just take stuff from all 5 that were released then make up an ending or what? like how is it related to the films like The last Air bender was Book one of three for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom