• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I've known since Snakes on a Plane that internet popularity alone in no way means anything for box office popularity, sadly.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
SpeedingUptoStop said:
I've known since Snakes on a Plane that internet popularity alone in no way means anything for box office popularity, sadly.
Yes.. But SoaP was overbuzzed on the Internet for different reasons than SP was.

SoaP was just an Internet joke meme.. People didn't actually want to watch it. it never had "real fans."

SP was the darling of the young techy crowd, who dominate Internet buzz. These people did watch it, but no one else did. it's a problem of the most dedicated participants on the Internet not being an accurate sample of the greater moviegoing public.

Vaux

Just watched the movie for the first time and i thought it was ok. idk i think i would've liked it more if i hadn't read the books first, it just kinda sucked that i knew what was going to happen next. I did like the ending tho i guess cause it was different from the book. oh well.
Now idk if i should i skip reading the walking dead.

maharg

idspispopd
BocoDragon said:
SP was the darling of the young techy crowd, who dominate Internet buzz. These people did watch it, but no one else did. it's a problem of the most dedicated participants on the Internet not being an accurate sample of the greater moviegoing public.

There's clearly so much more to it than that, imo. There are a lot of people I know who really should be seeing this -- really would get a lot out of it -- but aren't for whatever reason. Something went fundamentally wrong in the marketing of this movie, it bombed far worse than it should have for its target market. It was never gonna be a blockbuster, but it should have done better.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
maharg said:
There's clearly so much more to it than that, imo. There are a lot of people I know who really should be seeing this -- really would get a lot out of it -- but aren't for whatever reason. Something went fundamentally wrong in the marketing of this movie, it bombed far worse than it should have for its target market. It was never gonna be a blockbuster, but it should have done better.

My impression of the advertisements I've seen is that it just comes off as something with limited appeal, mostly to the pre-existing fans of the comics. I haven't read them yet but I'll see it (if I can) because I like George Michael * and it looks like a visually interesting movie but some of the people I've talked to who have seem the previews seem to be turned off by it for whatever reason. I guess some movies just don't have the broad enough appeal to be a success in theaters, especially ones as eccentric as SP vs. the World but I do feel like this one won't be forgotten once it's time is over on the silver screen.

* I don't call Cera George Michael to be derogatory, I'm just a huge AD fan so he will always be George Michael to me.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
The ad that they used with Cera in front of the red background mimicking the first book was kind of odd. I saw it on a bunch of billboards and bus stops near my place but it absolutely does not convey anything about the movie besides... Michael Cera to anyone not familiar with the series. The marketing went phooey somewhere down the line.

Kunan

Nothing against him myself, but 90% of my issues with trying to get people to see the movie fall down to "Cera's in it, no sale". The other 10% of my problems are "it looks like a dumb chick flick". face_palm indeed.

Rahk

I saw the movie again, this time with the girlfriend. She seemed to really like it and she's not much of a gamer.

There was a group of guys sitting behind us who I presumed were nerds, and this was confirmed when they said 'fail' after Scott said something stupid to Ramona. However, during the fight scenes they were saying 'What the hell is going on!?'

When we got out of the cinema my girlfriend was like 'What was up with those guys? They were nerds. Even I understood'.

Edit: Oh, also when Cera first came on screen one of the guys was like 'Oh. It's that guy...'

Jintor

That's the point where you go "You cocky cocks! You'll pay for your crimes against humanity!"

and then they blast you through three walls because it turns out they're all vegans

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Look on the bright side. Its going to make a killing at dvd and bluray sales if it follows the trend of other recent cult classics.

Personally I'm torn between going to see it in the theaters or renting it on dvd. It does seem like it would be better on the big screen. Is it worth it for someone who just generally doesn't like movie theaters? I would definitely go if it was with friends but none of them seem very interested.

Expendable. said:
how the hell is Scott Pilgrim been a trending topic on Twitter for 2 straight weeks, yet absolutely tanking at the box office?

This. I've been wondering about this as well. And Scott Pilgrim is actually the Top trending topic on Twitter for most of the past 2 weeks.

soultron

Banned
thepotatoman said:
Look on the bright side. Its going to make a killing at dvd and bluray sales if it follows the trend of other recent cult classics.

Personally I'm torn between going to see it in the theaters or renting it on dvd. It does seem like it would be better on the big screen. Is it worth it for someone who just generally doesn't like movie theaters? I would definitely go if it was with friends but none of them seem very interested.
The sound system of the theatre makes it worth it. The subtle sound cues from games like FF, Mario, Sonic, Zelda, etc. are great.

Also, just as the opening credits roll, you'll be like "Holy shit, I'm glad I went to see this in the theatre!" (The opening song is awesome when it's LOUD!) You really need to experience it in the theatre. Hate to admit it, but it feels great laughing along with everyone in a packed theatre. Go before all interest in the movie dies out. See if GAFfers in your area want to go with you!

Carnby

have these been posted?
Lucas-Lee-poste.jpg

Lucas-Lee-poster2.jpg

Lucas-Lee-poster3.jpg

Lucas-Lee-poster4.jpg

Lucas-Lee-poster5.jpg

Gaaraz

When is this out in the UK please? I was planning go to see it this week but can't see it on at all, meh.

Still not sure this film is ideal for me though... I mean anything I've read about it says it's amazing for geek/video game/comic book fans but not a lot else. The girl I'm seeing isn't into any of that at all, but likes Michael Cera - so worth a watch anyway?

Also the trailer looks terrible, but Shaun of the Dead is one of my favourite films ever (also, one of the very few comedy films I find genuinely very funny) so I'm happy to give this a try.

soultron

Banned
Watch it, Blize. She will like it if she likes Cera. Plus, it's so goddamned funny and not all of the humour is video game related.

Just like we told G-Fex, you will never see anything else like it. That's why you should go see it.

spoon!

Rahxephon91 said:
I actual prefer the Clash at the Demonhead's version of Black Sheep more then the Metric version. But yeah the movie made me look them up. Though, I was already a little familiar with them.
Only now after reading this, did I realise there's no one on guitar playing that in the movie. Fuck :lol

blizeH said:
When is this out in the UK please? I was planning go to see it this week but can't see it on at all, meh.

Still not sure this film is ideal for me though... I mean anything I've read about it says it's amazing for geek/video game/comic book fans but not a lot else. The girl I'm seeing isn't into any of that at all, but likes Michael Cera - so worth a watch anyway?

Also the trailer looks terrible, but Shaun of the Dead is one of my favourite films ever (also, one of the very few comedy films I find genuinely very funny) so I'm happy to give this a try.

It's suppsoed to be out on the 25th in the UK. I know as I'm waiting patiently for it.

Rahk

thepotatoman said:

Watching movies at the cinema alone is underrated. Go see it and hope you get a good audience.

blizeH said:

Friend showed me the trailer a long time ago, and I thought the premise was stupid. I then read the comic and became a fan.

My girlfriend only plays the occasional DS game and she liked it, so it's probably worth a watch. I think the humour, music and story is pretty much universal, so I wouldn't say you have to be a video game/comic book fan although you'll get more out of it.

MNC

spoon! said:
Only now after reading this, did I realise there's no one on guitar playing that in the movie. Fuck :lol
I did the same on today's train :lol There's bass, drums, vocals, but nothing more :lol

Dead

well not really...yet
Metric need to write a CDs worth of Clash at Demonhead songs and have Brie Larson sing the whole sing

would be so fuckin bought.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
MNC said:
I did the same on today's train :lol There's bass, drums, vocals, but nothing more :lol
Technically, Envy does walk to the keyboards every now and then during the vid.

XiaNaphryz said:
Isn't there supposed to be a deluxe version of the soundtrack that will be released in a few weeks that will have the music video on it?

All I could find about the deluxe version is it has Beck versions of 3 of the Sex Bob-Omb songs and it looks like it's going to be digital only? :(

ThirstyFly said:
All I could find about the deluxe version is it has Beck versions of 3 of the Sex Bob-Omb songs and it looks like it's going to be digital only? :(
That's not it. There's enough music from the film to make a third album. Edgar Wright has talked about it several times now, saying if the OST and score continue to sell as well as they have, they'll release a new album. There were 8-10 Sex Bob-Omb songs written for the movie, more chip-tunes versions of them, and a third Crash and the Boys song too, and that's just the stuff he's openly talked about including on it.

WordAssassin said:
That's not it. There's enough music from the film to make a third album. Edgar Wright has talked about it several times now, saying if the OST and score continue to sell as well as they have, they'll release a new album. There were 8-10 Sex Bob-Omb songs written for the movie, more chip-tunes versions of them, and a third Crash and the Boys song too, and that's just the stuff he's openly talked about including on it.
That would be incredibly awesome, supposedly the Vinyl version of the sound track comes out tomorrow, hopefully I can find it.

Chichikov

I have to admit, I expected to hate this movie.
I hated pretty much everything I saw from it, it just looked like another “postmodern” (as if) film with way too many on screen graphics which is trying way too hard to be cool. Well, hated everything but the director, which is why I ended up seeing it.
And I have to admit(2), I liked the movie, liked it a whole lot for the most of it (until it ran out of ideas and steam in the last act, but still, a thoroughly enjoyable film).

A couple of things really surprised me –
I did not expect this film to have a great soundtrack.
I did not expect this film to actually have decent fighting scenes.
And I definitely did not expect this film to be that observant (though I have to admit, all the characters are like 4-5 years too old in this film, but I don’t know, maybe that’s how it is in Canada).

The one thing that really annoyed me, and it’s kinda turning into a pet peeve of mine, is that once again, when a nerd wants to write the perfect woman, he writes a dude with boobs. And yeah, having a lame love interest kinda hurt the film.

p.s.
I really think that the people who see this movie somehow as a love letter to videogames are totally missing the point, but more on that later, once I straighten my thoughts a bit (or more likely, more on that never, once I realize I’m too lazy).

WordAssassin said:

Damn. Me want. I hope they do a version with the score on disc as well too. I'm not into the whole buying music digitally thing, but would snatch it up in a second on CD.

soultron

Banned
Chichikov said:
p.s.
I really think that the people who see this movie somehow as a love letter to videogames are totally missing the point, but more on that later, once I straighten my thoughts a bit (or more likely, more on that never, once I realize I’m too lazy).
I think that it's the best use of anything video game-y in a film to date. It's ultimately a story of personal growth, and one that really resonates with those who enjoy video game culture because of nods to classic video games. That's just my two cents on the matter.

Venomgxt

gamerecks said:
Saw it with the GF.

Great movie. Though there were only like 6 other people in the theater, it was depressing. Such a great movie needs more attention.

Man, i hate that! Packed theater makes it even more special.

WordAssassin said:
OMG! More Sex Bob-Omb PLZ! I heart them sooooo much~! Everyone keep buying the soundtrack and OST! Buy! Buy! Buy!

Chichikov said:
I have to admit, I expected to hate this movie.
I hated pretty much everything I saw from it, it just looked like another “postmodern” (as if) film with way too many on screen graphics which is trying way too hard to be cool. Well, hated everything but the director, which is why I ended up seeing it.
And I have to admit(2), I liked the movie, liked it a whole lot for the most of it (until it ran out of ideas and steam in the last act, but still, a thoroughly enjoyable film).

A couple of things really surprised me –
I did not expect this film to have a great soundtrack.
I did not expect this film to actually have decent fighting scenes.
And I definitely did not expect this film to be that observant (though I have to admit, all the characters are like 4-5 years too old in this film, but I don’t know, maybe that’s how it is in Canada).

The one thing that really annoyed me, and it’s kinda turning into a pet peeve of mine, is that once again, when a nerd wants to write the perfect woman, he writes a dude with boobs. And yeah, having a lame love interest kinda hurt the film.

p.s.

I think it's sort of secret love letter; certainly it could only have been made by somebody who had a love for those old silver age video games. I agree with you about Ramona being a dude with boobs, though; that tends to be how I see most women in movies these days, for one reason or another. Then again, that's a somewhat accurate representation of a lot of modern women, but it does not make for particularly compelling drama. One need only compare the firecracker but feminine Maude of Harold and Maude fame with any of these 'quirky' women of modern cinema to see a whole different sort of understanding of female nature.

Saw the movie last night, liked it, agree with the poster that said it's a solid B+

Quick question, anyone know if the game is going to get a demo on PSN?

Mike Works said:
Saw the movie last night, liked it, agree with the poster that said it's a solid B+

The demo has been up since release. The $10 purchase is just an unlock for the demo.

soultron

Banned
Mike Works said:

Make sure you play with a friend. Fortunately (IMO, or unfortunate if you don't have friends who like beat-em-ups) it's only local co-op. Being able to high five someone when they revive you is awesome.

Seriously though, the game is only balanced for a minimum of 2 players. That's my one complaint. You will get spanked even on the lowest difficulty, initially because of low stats/level, if you decide to go it alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom