• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim vs The World: The Game |OT| -- Seven Exes and Tons of KOs

anddo0

thetrin said:
The game isn't bad so far, but range and hit detection are issues for me. If you stand too close to an enemy, you won't hit them at all, and player hit range is pretty short with no special attacks that increase it (like Wolverine's claws in the X-Men arcade game). Player movement outside of dashing seems pretty slow, too. The game feels strangely slow in comparison to something like Turtles in Time.

They say that each character has a unique move set, but it seems more like each character takes a unique combination from a pile of common attacks.

The lack of online coop means I'll only be able to play with people on weekends. This isn't a huge deal, but the game isn't a ton of fun to play on your own.

So far, I'm pretty lukewarm on the game.

That's my biggest issues with the game thus far. It's not a bad game, but I find myself swinging at air an awful lot.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
anddo0 said:
That's my biggest issues with the game thus far. It's not a bad game, but I find myself swinging at air an awful lot.

So far, I'm finding myself saying "this is really not a bad game...but it's not a great game either".

Adam J.

Just beat the first level.

As someone with a lifelong obsession with 2D scrolling beat'em ups, I am absolutely giddy with excitement over this game. So excited that I feel like trashing my room.

Scott's rental fees :lol :lol :lol

Maybe I'm missing something but i can't seem to find the stats on an item before purchasing it. It'll pop up after I buy it, sure, but how am I supposed to know if it's any good if I can't tell what it does beforehand?

Grayman

vazel said:
What's with the vegetarian screen? Is that based off something? I'd hate to think the developers are preaching to me. It's bad enough my monitor does it about my carbon footprint.
The one in the attract loop is this
Winners_Dont_Use_Drugs.png
which was in arcade machines.

I take back what I said: I turned the difficulty down for the main game and I can't beat the first level yet. I'm having a really hard time blocking anything and the 'counter' hasn't worked yet. I had it freeze once too but I still like the game so far.

Holy fuck, I suck at this game. I went with "Rough & Tough," which I guess is Medium or something, and got my ass kicked however far in to the first level. I got attacked by a dog that did like 75 damage, or something! Shit!

With that said, even in the first level, I am absolutely loving the atmosphere and the throwback to other games.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The combat is not as solid as I had hoped, but the game sure is fun. I was also hoping they'd use Paul Robertson's sprite prowess a little more.

thetrin said:
The combat is not as solid as I had hoped, but the game sure is fun. I was also hoping they'd use Paul Robertson's sprite prowess a little more.

I thought the same at first, but it gets better as you level up.

Based on the first and second level, this game is AWESOME.

discohiro

Just missed the trophy on Matthew Patel. Demon Hipster Chick hit me with a fireball, and I lost a life. Only needed to land one more hit on him... GRRRRRR

Grayman

Linkzg said:

based on the demo it did seem to me like the combat would get better after leveling up. the help screens say characters will speed up at least.

Ok, The number one tip I can give is to use the stick not the d-pad.
The main reason is that you can instant run by pressing the analog stick all the way out instead of double-tapping. That means you can launch dash attacks instantly all the time and spam them and hit people on the ground. Low dash, low dash, then hit them while down. Use the throw if they get up then low dash and spam hits while they are down again.

Bebpo

Banned
what's up with half the time you sitting there while the enemies are on the ground invincible? Are there no ground attacks besides picking enemies up?

BobTheFork said:
Ok, The number one tip I can give is to use the stick not the d-pad.
The main reason is that you can instant run by pressing the analog stick all the way out instead of double-tapping. That means you can launch dash attacks instantly all the time and spam them and hit people on the ground. Low dash, low dash, then hit them while down. Use the throw if they get up then low dash and spam hits while they are down again.

Oh, the slide hits downed enemies? Ok, cool. I hate just sitting there waiting for them to get back up.

I echo the sentiments of others and say that this game is FUCKING HARD! It is really fun though, I am actually surprised I managed to beat Patel without losing a life.

was that a sprite of
Edgar Wright
in the second level? :lol

Bebpo said:
what's up with half the time you sitting there while the enemies are on the ground invincible? Are there no ground attacks besides picking enemies up?

slide attack

first thing you get when you level up. forward forward square

and yeah, this game is tough.

Baha

Bebpo said:

Either pick up the enemy and throw them over and over again or dash kick them when they're on the ground or throw/kick an item at them.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
A big reason why this game is "tough" is because as Hil said in the IGN review it feels like the game is balanced for multiplayer. The game doesn't scale down if your going it solo. I'd imagine the game could be rather easy if you had 4 people all going at it, but going it alone could be slightly overwhelming.

ismaboof said:
I pushed start and the game froze
:(

I fell into a giant pit in the middle of the street and instead of dying, I got stuck there until I "jumped out" and the game glitched out. Had to restart from the map.

Persona7

Banned
How do I fix the shitty controls?

Also, froze twice and the music stops playing randomly in the middle of gameplay and doesn't work until I exit the game and restart it.

thetrin

Persona7 said:
How do I fix the shitty controls?

Also, froze twice and the music stops playing randomly in the middle of gameplay and doesn't work until I exit the game and restart it.

The controls are pretty meh. The Quick Tap left stick option is better than double tap (because it's a thumb stick, not a fucking arcade stick), but it's still pretty inconsistent.

Linkzg said:

*shrug* I hit lvl 3 by the end of the demo, and it didn't improve the combat for me that much. Not to mention that the counter is a big ??? for me.

Persona7

Banned
thetrin said:
The controls are pretty meh. The Quick Tap left stick option is better than double tap (because it's a thumb stick, not a fucking arcade stick), but it's still pretty inconsistent.
The controls is the sole reason I didn't buy this right away. A few glitches I can stand, but the controls need some serious work.

thetrin

brandonh83 said:
Scott Pilgrim vs. GAF

To be honest, I'm willing to give this game quite a few chances. I'm a big Scott Pilgrim fan. This game is just not wowing me so far. I'll the demo in multiplayer, and we'll see what happens from there.

At lvl 5-6 ou unlock a down hit that can hit enemies while on the ground. You just hold down and press square. That's how you are going to get most of the damage.

thetrin

BobTheFork said:
At lvl 5-6 ou unlock a down hit that can hit enemies while on the ground. You just hold down and press square. That's how you are going to get most of the damage.

Someone is going to have to explain to me why it takes until Level 5 to unlock such an essential attack.

Grayman

thetrin said:

*shrug* I hit lvl 3 by the end of the demo, and it didn't improve the combat for me that much. Not to mention that the counter is a big ??? for me.
I got killed to figure out the timing on counter but it whupped a guys ass when i hit it.

Tip number 2: get the books first.
In the first level there is a book stores, just like RCR lol.
buy cheap snacks and save the money for the books. Use the vegan cookbook and 101 push ups first. This will up the Atk and Def and make the first level much easier.

Adam J.

Gameplay is perfect to me. It's crunchy as hell and when you punk a hipster kid in the face it feels so good. Still haven't figured out how to use the summon (think it's the L1 button).

Baha

BobTheFork said:
buy cheap snacks and save the money for the books. Use the vegan cookbook and 101 push ups first. This will up the Atk and Def and make the first level much easier.

Do books stack? I bought the 101 push-ups and then the get rich quick book and I feel like my dmg decreased.

ismaboof

I'm in a store but can't move or press start. Fuck this game was not tested to the level it should have been. Restart the game and it didn't save my leveling.

Fuck this shit.

thetrin said:
Someone is going to have to explain to me why it takes until Level 5 to unlock such an essential attack.
Because it takes less than an hour to unlock it and if you are playing on the easier difficulty you don't even need that move. I like that you need to lvl up to beat the levels.

Baha said:
Do books stack? I bought the 101 push-ups and then the get rich quick book and I feel like my dmg decreased.
They stack. I bought one of each book and I have more in each stat now.

thetrin said:

yeah, it's a bad move. I get having some things as unlocked as you level up, but it really helps.

They also don't tell you what items do before you have them.

thetrin

BobTheFork said:

Wait, there's a book store in the first level?

Linkzg said:
yeah, it's a bad move. I get having some things as unlocked as you level up, but it really helps.

They also don't tell you what items do before you have them.

I'm totally for unlocking things over time. My thing is that I like essential moves and helpful attacks to be unlocked from the start, and leveling merely affect their potency.

thetrin

V_Ben said:
yeah, there is! In the shopping district.

Wait, you can go into buildings in levels?

thetrin

hamchan said:
Nooooooooooooooooo

How sad that this game has issues :(

More than anything, the combat is deeply flawed. Sorry!

Volcynika said:
The ones that appear to be open!

Wait, some stores appear to be open?

Top Bottom