• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim vs The World: The Game |OT| -- Seven Exes and Tons of KOs

I'm just grinding at the shopping district and getting some extra dough at the subspace highway before Matthew Patel. Gotta get me them books!

Jim

Anyone else having issues with music dropping out on the map screen, or the game locking when loading some stages?
PS3 slim with a 320GB, and I keep getting both. I also have BG downloads in the queue while trying to play.

Edit: Can't even get past the title screen now... nice.

d0c_zaius

I don't know anything about Scott Pilgrim but as a beat em up it's somewhat boring so far.

Having to unlock moves like Double Dragon NES kinda hurts the fun as well...

I guess i'm just not getting it. Combat just feels to iffy.

MiniBossBattle said:
Anyone playing this on a Joystick?
Playing on my HRAP3. Shit's tight, but of course, just make sure you have your stick set on d-pad for ultimate enjoyment.

what is sold there?

JGb2h.jpg

And Kim calling out Knives is hilarious. :lol

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Just checked the "How To Play" section for fun... aside from looking right out of Earthbound, it also shows that this game is kinda deep! Taunts, advanced special moves, being able to catch items thrown at you, lending money to other players in the shop... This really is more like a lost NES classic than a simple arcade brawler :D (note: I don't mean "8-bit graphics" put down pitchforks)

I'm having 0 technical issues BTW.

Is there any way to rip the PS3 splash screen when you idle over the game on the XMB? It is glorious.

I love this game. I haven't had any of the technical difficulties some people are having. I feel like this game belongs right up there with Turtles in Time and River City Ransom in the best 2D Beat 'Em Up world.

andymcc

Banned
game is pretty fun, but the combat seems a little flawed.

it ain't no "revenge of death adder" or "alien vs. predator", that's for sure.

KibblesBits said:
Special moves IIRC.
donkey show said:
Playing on my HRAP3. Shit's tight, but of course, just make sure you have your stick set on d-pad for ultimate enjoyment.

JGb2h.jpg

And Kim calling out Knives is hilarious. :lol

well that answered my first question too!

where can you find the shop?

and yeah, I'm thinking about breaking out my VSHG

Haunted

Pixel art is gorgeous, and the animations are stunning. Music is pretty good, and as a Pilgrim fan, this is just all around good service.

The actual gameplay and brawling are a bit slow and feel slightly clunky, though... not sure if I'm going to get this, even after the demo. Maybe I'll wait for a sale or something.

edit: I totally stumbled into Wallace's mystery shop by accident as well. :lol Didn't have enough money to get anything, though.

Beardz

Fuck I love this game :D

River City Ransom, Crash and the Boys, Super Mario Bros 3, Battletoads all mixed. :D :D :D

Linkzg said:
well that answered my first question too!

where can you find the shop?

and yeah, I'm thinking about breaking out my VSHG

xmrOQ.jpg

Just head to the star and you'll enter his shop. And yes, bust out your VSHG. It feels just right. :D

What difficulty did you guys start on? I picked medium and it was pretty rough at first, but after leveling up a bit, the game became much easier (and fucktons more fun). I still think the curve is a bit steep though in the beginning since those baddies are air comboing you for 40 hp each go.

BTW, I can never get that damn counter to work. WTF?

Pancho

Qurupancho
Agh! Just downloaded the demo, and this game is deeper than I thought. I thought it would be lighter in terms of gameplay but I got my ass handed to me at first then I sort of got it.

Too bad that I don't have the money today but this week for sure, I'll unlock the full game:D

Can't wait to play with some of my buds I'm inviting over for the weekend.

Persona7

Banned
Jim said:
Anyone else having issues with music dropping out on the map screen, or the game locking when loading some stages?
PS3 slim with a 320GB, and I keep getting both. I also have BG downloads in the queue while trying to play.

Yeah, the music went out twice on me and I had to quit to the XMB and then run the game again before it worked. I also had several freezing issues, here is my original post

Persona7 said:
How do I fix the shitty controls?

Also, froze twice and the music stops playing randomly in the middle of gameplay and doesn't work until I exit the game and restart it.

Persona7

Banned
I hate when the guys dogpile you and you can't even tell what button the game wants you to mash at first because the hit counter covers it up completely.

Really poor design, I figured out it was triangle though when I got knocked down and it made me mash triangle to stand back up.

So I was playing the demo and didn't like the feel too much, but I switched from the PS3 controller to one of those street fighter madcatz controllers and it feels a lot better.

I need to get one of those Wii usb adaptors, I'd like to use the Classic Controller Pro with this game.

Can't buy it right now, but maybe I will in a week or so.

anyone know what you get if you pay off Scott's late return bill?

oh shit, apparently it lets you get the best items for cheap :lol

one large fee before small ones

Linkzg said:
anyone know what you get if you pay off Scott's late return bill?

oh shit, apparently it lets you get the best items for cheap :lol

one large fee before small ones

Taken from Gamefaqs:

The Mystical Head (1-Up)
Seven Shaolin Masters (+100 XP, +10 DEF, +10 SPD, +10 WP, +10 STR)
Alien VS T-Rex (+20 SPD, +20 STR)
Alone and Disturbed (+1500 XP)
I Love Your Boyfriend (+320 XP, +15 DEF, +15 WP)

Spruchy

CO-OP isnt much easier except the whole revive thing, but on later levels when there's a metric fuck ton of enemies that becomes less relevant.

Either way great game especially for the 10 dollar price point.

gibration

I love this game! My brother and I had a blast playing together but we are currently stuck in the 3rd evil ex. :( Going to try and level up later on today and hopefully we can take him down then.

Baha

So I farmed some cash at the shopping district and bought me some records, books, food and some swag at Leo's Place in stage 6 (I think). I even saved enough for the bionic arm at Wallace's shop (+50 str :D ). Beat the 3rd Ex and I think that despite some obviously lack of polish on the programming side (why the hell does the map screen take so long to load menus??? Or even cause freezes for that matter.) I'm getting the hang of the game and really enjoying the RCR aspects of it.

Grayman

Baha said:
So I farmed some cash at the shopping district and bought me some records, books, food and some swag at Leo's Place in stage 6 (I think). I even saved enough for the bionic arm at Wallace's shop (+50 str :D ). Beat the 3rd Ex and I think that despite some obviously lack of polish on the programming side (why the hell does the map screen take so long to load menus??? Or even cause freezes for that matter.) I'm getting the hang of the game and really enjoying the RCR aspects of it.
Does the Bionic arm bring you above 100str? I had not found wallace's shop yet so I spent all my money on smashing turnips CDs

I played through the demo twice with my daughter - it was a lot of fun

Some random questions before I buy:

- While we made it through the first level (demo level) I assume the later levels will be a lot harder. Can you "grind" the lower levels to get strong enough to make the later levels manageable?

- She was playing as a guest - can the guest save progress? How does that work exactly?

- Can you see what items do before buying? We found the store pictured above but couldn't figure out what any of the stuff was supposed to do

Baha

Grayman said:
Does the Bionic arm bring you above 100str? I had not found wallace's shop yet so I spent all my money on smashing turnips CDs

Atm I'm about 78-80 str after buying all the records, book and the concert swag. If I score the 1st 1-2 hits I can down any enemy and I go into hyper a lot more often now.

Andvary

Jim said:

Exactly the same is happening to me Jim, Fat 60 gig PS3 :/

Grayman

Baha said:
Atm I'm about 78-80 str after buying all the records, book and the concert swag. If I score the 1st 1-2 hits I can down any enemy and I go into hyper a lot more often now.
I booked an CD'd up to 100 and the number turned red. I am just wondering if the arm would stack on or eat 100ish dollars.

Baha

HamPster PamPster said:
I played through the demo twice with my daughter - it was a lot of fun

Some random questions before I buy:

- While we made it through the first level (demo level) I assume the later levels will be a lot harder. Can you "grind" the lower levels to get strong enough to make the later levels manageable?

- She was playing as a guest - can the guest save progress? How does that work exactly?

- Can you see what items do before buying? We found the store pictured above but couldn't figure out what any of the stuff was supposed to do

1. Yes, you can even jump back to the map screen at any time during a level and it'll save whatever money you've earned till then.

2. No idea, since it's all local co-op I'm assuming that the characters get leveled up for everybody.

3. Atm I don't know how but I can tell you this. Snacks are stored in your HP with a + symbol and once you hit 0 HP they activate, Meals/Food (you can tell by how much more they cost than snacks) have immediate effects so they heal you right away and give you bonuses and clothing/misc items raise your stats and you can usually tell what stat they affect by their description & their hierarchy on the list.

Top Bottom