• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim vs The World: The Game |OT| -- Seven Exes and Tons of KOs

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Your angry tears fill my soul, GAF!

I have no idea what Scott Pilgrim is, nor do I really care right now. This game is fantastic. Just beat the second level and while I hate dying so often, it's a good hate. Like....classic hate.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Gooster said:
You, my friend, need to play River City Ransom some time. ;)

I haven't played RCR in years. My brawler education has and always will be Turtles in Time, Sunset Riders, Captain Commando, Captain American and the Avengers, X-Men and the Simpsons Arcade game.

WanderingWind

thetrin said:
I haven't played RCR in years. My brawler education has and always will be Turtles in Time, Sunset Riders, Captain Commando, Captain American and the Avengers, X-Men and the Simpsons Arcade game.

No Double Dragon!?!

BACK TO SCHOOL FOR YOU FOOL!

thetrin said:

That's why you're having a tough time.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
WanderingWind said:
No Double Dragon!?!

BACK TO SCHOOL FOR YOU FOOL!

Double Dragon. Pffft. Everyone has such a large head I'm surprised they don't topple over when they look down.

KibblesBits said:

Well, that, and RCR sucked.

WanderingWind

thetrin said:
Double Dragon. Pffft. Everyone has such a large head I'm surprised they don't topple over when they look down.

Psh. Figures somebody who couldn't hack Double Dragon is getting spanked by Scott Pilgrim. You probably couldn't even beat Pyro on one quarter.

I will now snort derisively at you.

*snort*

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
KibblesBits said:

Ditto. RCR is a little more involved. You get owned in RCR until you get the dragon feet or the stone hands etc... and boost your stats. You start out totally sucking to be quite honest. It's basically a race to get enough $$$ to buy a combat book ASAP.

Tain

i am shocked that this game is sounding not very great.

i am not shocked at all that this game is sounding not very great.

good beat 'em ups are tough to make.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
thetrin said:
Well, that, and RCR sucked.

You sir need to GFTO! :lol

Tain said:

To be fair it's not perfect, but some of the complaints are from people that don't even get the game structure. The game needed another month of polish though.

I'm playing this thinking "I wish this had a recovery or something for when you fall on the ground". For kicks I look at the move list; I see: Air Recovery lvl 15 DAMNIT! COME ON!

RobbieNick

Baha said:
Yup, any of the open stores in the shipping district and the hidden store in the tunnel near the end of that level.

Also, check for hidden areas for the Subliminal Super Highway for extra cash and short cuts.

I'm loving the game so far. But it's Hard as fucking nails though. This is the reason why we were screaming for online co-op. This needs to be played by 4 people at the same time without me having people in my apartment to do it. I'll say it once again that this being a movie tie in killed some of this game's potential. It just needed a bit more love and care and it would be perfect. The game needs some kind of DLC to fix the small problems and the big oversight about the multiplayer structure.

The game will get more bearable once you level up more and find out what store items do. Shit, in RCR they didn't tell you nothing about item effects and the like. It was trial and error until all that data was complied. Now you can just hit GameFAQ's and find out all you want to know.

And I got the Patel trophy with Ramona on my 1st try. Thank you Cappuccino and Level Up.

SapientWolf said:
That's because the game is older than a lot of the posters in this forum.

River City Ransom is not that old!
I'd continue my argument but I left my dentures somewhere...

ReXXXSoprano said:
I'm loving the game so far. But it's Hard as fucking nails though. This is the reason why we were screaming for online co-op. This needs to be played by 4 people at the same time without me having people in my apartment to do it.

So you just wanted easy mode essentially? I'm enthused the game is making people work to beat it.

WanderingWind

Tain said:

You, sir, have an advanced case of selective reading. Most of the posts of people who dislike it haven't even figured out how to enter stores. You know. All that advanced pushing "up" on the pad. :lol

If you like brawlers, you'll like this game.

SaitoH

Really enjoying is so far (on 3rd ex).

You need to gain a few levels to improve your move-set (low kick ftw), buy a couple stat books, remember to block and use the digital pad.

I like this game a lot but it is a pain in the ass knowing that you'll have to unlock these better moves for the other characters. It's already a pain for just Scott.

Playing this game local co-op all at once would make it 100000 times better

Zabka

This game is fucking amazing. I love the little touches like the random text in the subspace highway and the King Hippo-lite enemy. And the ? blocks. And everything else.

I'll say it once again that this being a movie tie in killed some of this game's potential.
If it wasn't for the movie I doubt this game would exist.

Anyone else experiencing audio drops, particularly on the map?

Anyway, pretty awesome so far, love how you can get money and buy upgrades. Kind of reminds me of games like After Burner, how it starts off hard but the more you play it gets easier as you unlock stuff. Music on the first level is so good.

Only problem I have is how slow you walk.

Well, this is an Ubisoft game all right.....When I tried to press a button on the "map" or whatever that is, the game briefly locked up, then 20 seconds later accepted my button imput. So I finally get into the stage, and the music plays for a split second, then disappears. I'm staring at a screen with no characters on it, just the background, for like a full minute. My character finally runs on, and I start playing the game in silence with no music. I try to pause, but it doesn't work. I try to exit the game, and it locks up AGAIN. Then the music comes back for some reason and I can pause again. So yeah, much like every game Ubisoft releases, it needed some more bug testing. If I sound bitter, it's because Assassin's Creed 2 locked up on me on the freakin name entry screen before I even got to play, I hit a game ending glitch in the latest Prince of Persia......I'm just not terribly impressed with their quality control.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
thetrin said:
So far, I'm finding myself saying "this is really not a bad game...but it's not a great game either".

Sums up my thoughts with the demo. Along with no online co-op (that I didn't see in the menu?)

And the button display being blocky/pixely like the rest of the game is kinda eye-gouging. I mean the pixel work is very nostalgic, but it looks bad in HD like that. :/

Sorry, but I'm going to wait until a sale on it.

wizword

Banned
Played the demo and this game is fucking awesome. Have no idea what the problems with the game. The art design, sound, and gameplay are awesome. Best downloadable game besides snoopy game this year. Probably going to buy it after the demo unless it somehow gets worse.

I'm really enjoying the game but then I like beat 'em ups and spent the better part of my childhood playing them and I am a huge pixel art junkie, so I love the style. The game is hard, but it becomes much more manageable as you power up. I'm glad I read this thread before I played it, it tempered my expectations.

The only thing that really bothers me is the lack of online co-op. I honestly didn't think I'd care about its absence, but the game is just begging for it. Definitely a missed opportunity, but oh well.

Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
Well, this is an Ubisoft game all right.....When I tried to press a button on the "map" or whatever that is, the game briefly locked up, then 20 seconds later accepted my button imput. So I finally get into the stage, and the music plays for a split second, then disappears. I'm staring at a screen with no characters on it, just the background, for like a full minute. My character finally runs on, and I start playing the game in silence with no music. I try to pause, but it doesn't work. I try to exit the game, and it locks up AGAIN. Then the music comes back for some reason and I can pause again.

Most of these things are happening to me as well. Surely to god it'll get patched. Hopefully. Such a good game, I'd hate for these technicalities to bring it down.

Don't know where the zombie cheat code is but it is a great place to level up. I'm starting to kick ass with tons of combos at level 12.

KibblesBits said:
So you just wanted easy mode essentially? I'm enthused the game is making people work to beat it.

Hell no. I think part of that is that this game doesn't lure you in but throws the gamut at you from the jump. I see people getting frustrated trying to solo this. All I can think of when I'm getting my ass beat is I wish I had an online buddy for backup. But leveling, a good snack and a bit of luck will see anybody through this ultimately. I do agree with the fact that the game may not be balanced for a single player experience and it shows a little. In a way it gives some of that NES flavor with that ruthless style of gameplay. I'll just drag my little cousins or my brothers for that co-op action if I really want that experience.

Zabka said:
If it wasn't for the movie I doubt this game would exist.

I think the books alone have enough power to get this out to the masses and sell. And it could've done the same thing on less of a scale for the franchise as well. Not to mention word of mouth from people who enjoy the books and people who'd enjoy the game. As I said though that deadline to make it all fit hurt the final product. And that's a shame.

Top Bottom