• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pruitt confirmed by Senate to head EPA

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Senate confirmed Scott Pruitt to head the Environmental Protection Agency, an agency Republicans desperately want to rein in after what they charge was eight years of dangerous activism under the Obama administration that hurt businesses, jobs and the economy

Pruitt maybe just the person to do it. As Oklahoma attorney general he sued the agency many times in that pursuit and has vowed to curb the EPA's regulatory reach once in office.
The largely party line vote was 52-46

"He's exceptionally qualified," said Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell. "He's dedicated to environmental protection. And, as someone with state government experience, he understands the real-world consequences of EPA actions and knows that balance is the key to making policies that are sustainable over the long-term

The vote came a day after a federal judge ruled the Oklahoma attorney general's office must turn over thousands of emails related to Pruitt's communications with fossil fuel companies, which have a large presence in his state.

Environmental activists and many Democrats pushed to delay the confirmation vote until those emails are released -- probably sometime next week -- but Republicans had no interest in a delay, especially after Democrats deliberately slow-walked the confirmation process for many of President Donald Trump's Cabinet.

More at link.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/17/politics/senate-epa-scott-pruitt/index.html?sr=twCNN021717senate-epa-scott-pruitt0622PMVODtopLink&linkId=34620483

I urge everyone to watch Rachel Maddow's segment on him from last night. This guy is fucking horrible. He copied letters from oil companies straight up word for word on state letter head as attorney general of Oklahoma and sent them to Washington.

Link https://youtu.be/TkO8fXEie9U

ezekial45

Banned
Who cares about the environment and protecting the earth for future generations when we can make all this money now!

I fucking hate the Republican party, they're pure evil and I wish nothing but the worst for every single one of these people that pushed in all of these toxic and regressive candidates.

leroidys

The party of climate change denialism talking about strategies "that are sustainable over the long term"... get fucked Mitch.

compo

Banned
This is the thing that bothers me the most about online Trump supporters. Many people in internet culture don't dispute human created climate change. And yet these same people are willing to vote for a presidential candidate with obviously extreme climate change denial views.

Like, wtf? Do you really want to spite "SJWs" so bad that you're willing to destroy the world?

explodet

Breathe in extra air now and store it for later.
MmCvWKI.jpg

RPGCrazied

Two Dems voted yes, one GOP voted no.

Its always that Manchin guy, always. He has voted yes several times on Trump cabinet nominees. I continue to ask why is he even a Democrat. And lets not forget his daughter is the CEO of EpiPen, that should tell you all you need to know about this guy.

Are all those emails still going to be released like ordered? I guess it won't matter but to see the corruption in plain sight would be more par for the course

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Fucking :lol

What a complete bunch of spineless hacks.

I can't wait until he has to release those conversations from his time as OK Attorney General next week and Republicans have to defend this shit.

Republicans are really going to end the world. There's no such thing as a good Republican.

Don't be like this person. Talk like this is just as, or possibly more dangerous as anything Trump or any of his cronies said. Somebody needed to be put in, and its not going to be someone Democrats like. If/when Pruitt fucks up, that's the time to go after him. Condemning the whole party is just immature and won't solve anything.

Edit, I've probably just brought on a shit-storm, haven't I. To be clear, I hate Pruitt and think we should've waited until those documents were released, since I think he's already been up to some nasty shit. Politically, however, it would look even better (worse for Trump) if he is in the position and then needs to be removed.

Macam

Banned
3 GOP + all Dems would need to vote no to kill the nom. Did we all forget how DeVos got confirmed already?

Still, those 2 Dems, who are they? I'm guessing Manchin and someone else.

Joe Manchin (D-WV) and Heidi Heitkamp (D-ND); the former largely because of coal interests, the latter largely because of natural gas/fracking interests.

ElRenoRaven

As an Oklahoman let me just say we're sorry. You folks will be in for a treat with him. He hates the environment with a passion rarely seen. You will find no better friend of polluters and big oil.

Xe4

Banned
Its always that Manchin guy, always. He has voted yes several times on Trump cabinet nominees. I continue to ask why is he even a Democrat. And lets not forget his daughter is the CEO of EpiPen, that should tell you all you need to know about this guy.

He's a democrat because he votes with democrats most of the time. He stands with them when he needs to, and sides with republicans on votes like this, where it doesn't matter aside from a moral perspective. These next two years in particular he's going to be a bit more conservative because he has to run for reelection in 2018.

He's a candidate from West Virginia, of course he's going to support coal interests. Really, when it comes down to it, with him and Heitkamp, it's either conservative leaning democrats, or crazy ass far right republicans. I know which I'd choose.

RPGCrazied

I bet Sanders has to be pretty livid right now. This was a pretty big thing for him.

Where is Obama in all this? Like the world going up in flames, but he won't say anything.

Exile20

I bet Sanders has to be pretty livid right now. This was a pretty big thing for him.

Where is Obama in all this? Like the world going up in flames, but he won't say anything.

Anything Obama says will look bad to tell you the truth. The repubs will twist his words up.

Trakdown

The vote came a day after a federal judge ruled the Oklahoma attorney general's office must turn over thousands of emails related to Pruitt's communications with fossil fuel companies, which have a large presence in his state.

But his emails!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom