• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scream Queens |OT|

Chairhome

I'm a little intrigued in the mystery, but I guess I'm in the minority that I thought it was pretty bad and trying too hard. That texting scene was out of place.

taking the show with a grain of sand....but it's pretty shitty imo.

i know its supposed to be a sorority slasher parody....but it's all terrible.

i think my wife is into it a little, so i'll prob catch the next few until her attention fades and her other better shows come out.

There are no other shows that will be better. This is the best thing to hit TV in a while. Sorry.

The gif material is great tbh
e9458a409e.gif

lmao

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'm a little intrigued in the mystery, but I guess I'm in the minority that I thought it was pretty bad and trying too hard. That texting scene was out of place.

If you are watching this as a "real" show (as you seem to be from your comment) you are doing it very wrong. It's a parody, borderline Scary Movie style.

that scene should have given you a clue not take it seriously. lol
its absurd.
cop pushing her partner outside the vehicle.

the dark humor. lol

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I adored the text death. I was laughing my ass off. I want more ott satire like that. Too many gritty real killer shows. This was Mean Girls meets Scream meets Aeroplane. Glorious.

This show is a garbage show.

I don't watch garbage shows.

I'm in, this show is amazing and terrible. I already want everyone to die.

Ms Bean, what the fuck!? Jesus.

I watched the pilot on a whim the other day and was instantly enamored with this show. It's got a great blend of goofiness and genuine mystery. It's really scratching that pre-Halloween itch too.

OmniGamer

"Miss Bean, let's hit it"

"MISS BEAN I SAID LET'S HIT IT!!!!!!!"

LMAO! Totally Cartman right there, "NO KITTY THAT'S A BAD KITTY!!!"

Grizzo

Really hope Niecy Nash is gonna stick around! Her scenes were the best imo.

When she explains the three steps to follow if the girls are in danger, and when she finds out
her friend is dead
... I was delighted.

clemenx

Banned
If you are watching this as a "real" show (as you seem to be from your comment) you are doing it very wrong. It's a parody, borderline Scary Movie style.

Maybe some people can't adjust and were expecting something different. My wife made me watch this because she thought it was going to be a horror show going just by the name lol. We both didn't know shit about it.

We both loved it for what it was and were laughing our asses off. Can't wait for next episode!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Maybe some people can't adjust and were expecting something different. My wife made me watch this because she thought it was going to be a horror show going just by the name lol. We both didn't know shit about it.

We both loved it for what it was and were laughing our asses off. Can't wait for next episode!

dude I was expecting something different, but when I realised what it actually was I didnt fight it. Im not saying people have to like it, but dont dislike it because they are watching it as something it is not

Man ive been reading around and there is a lot of people slamming the show for being homophobic/sexist/racist. Also mentioning the Satire is still offensive and what not. I guess I just didn't take it super serious?

It's the race stuff that really bothers me with Murphy.

His shows use racist jokes so frequently that they've become a very cheap, lazy source of comedy. And their constant use trivializes racism to a considerable degree.

And then when he actually tries to address racial issues somewhat seriously, it's completely tone-deaf (see: Season 3 of AHS).

With Heather Langenkamp's FX company handling the effects, this show better find a way to have a scene between her, Jamie Lee and Emma Roberts.Maybe see if they can rope in Danielle Harris and Linnea Quigley for a true collection of scream queens.

The main problem with Murphy's use of racial humor is that he's got the structure of it all wrong.

When using that sort of cringeworthy racial humor, the person delivering it should be the butt of the joke. Think of David Brent/Michael Scott in The Office.

Far too often, Murphy botches this and makes the recipient the butt of the joke. Chanel and other Murphy characters use racist dialogue at the expense of others in order to assert their power over them - usually successfully. They deliver it without a second thought and without consequence.

If Murphy wants to include racist characters who spout racist dialogue, that's fine. Just don't try to paint their racism as being funny if you don't know how to do it properly. (Which he doesn't.)

mm04

For real. I'd throw in some Clueless and as someone else mentioned Mean Girls type stuff in here. It just works for me and I'll certainly continue watching it.

Zoe

watching this made me realise that the actors in this show must have done so much screaming filming this

I haven't gotten around to watching anything yet, but Emma Roberts said on the Tonight Show that they started off screaming for real but had to switch over to miming and doing it in post.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Me and my wife finally got to sit down and watch this in Hulu. We loved it! Such a fun, absurd show. Love the cast and the dialogue is sharply delivered. The cast does a great job selling the jokes, even the weak ones.

I will definitely be watching this every week.

Just watched the premiere. So not a garbage show. Totally the bath tub baby of Scream and Heathers. Definitely my favorite new fall show.

This show needs to be a success. It is amazing.

Yeah, I'm definitely in. The dark humor is on point. The actors are having a ball. This is the perfect Halloween season fun show. I really hope the show is a success and we get more. This hooked me in so hard. Didn't think that'd happen after American Horror Story did nothing for me.

Has the extended opening credits sequence been posted? I love it so much! I hope we see a cut with next week's episode. This is totally baseless speculation, but Neckbrace's thumbs up makes me think that she is working with the Red Devil.

Good Lord, this is fantastic. Just on every level. Love the synth music. The screaming. The fire. Really, it's all great.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Given how positive reactions have been in here I'm hoping ratings will go up next episode

matt360

With Heather Langenkamp's FX company handling the effects, this show better find a way to have a scene between her, Jamie Lee and Emma Roberts.Maybe see if they can rope in Danielle Harris and Linnea Quigley for a true collection of scream queens.

That would be amazing. Maybe have a scene with Linnea dancing on a grave. They've gotta be thinking about doing this, no? Hard to have a show called Scream Queens without Harris or Quigley in there somewhere. Fun fact: Danielle Harris actually went to my elementary school for a short time. Although she was 4 years older and obviously not famous at the time.

Given how positive reactions have been in here I'm hoping ratings will go up next episode

This is mostly anecdotal, but If word of mouth holds up, I think ratings will definitely increase. Scream Queens has been the topic of the week in my Uni cohort and the largely positive reception has encouraged others to catch the post streams. A friend of mine told me that everyone he works with has been raving about the show and he is going to jump on board, because he doesn't want to miss out.

Edit:

It's probably too early to discuss whether a second season will follow, but it appears Fox have possibly registered and trademarked a follow-up title: "Scream Queens:
Summer Camp
"
. It's a direction I'm sure most of us are expecting Scream Queens to take.

Top Bottom