• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Screens from Sticky Balls (PSP)

daMandus

Well, not what I expected.... is this really better than PlayStation and close to PS2? Or more like DS?

Perhaps work-in-progress and all that, but I remember the demo of the game to promise much more.

capture_00252.jpg

capture_00037.jpg

The graphics aren't anything special, I think DS could pull something very similar off, but I bet this game is cool as hell. The different pattern balls have me thinking a cross between Puzzle Bobble/Bust-a-move and Monkey Ball

That looks awful... Either the PSP has been overhyped and the technology really isn't anything special or these developers are making very little use of the PSP's strengths.

"Perhaps work-in-progress and all that, but I remember the demo of the game to promise much more."

This was the demo screens:

sticky-balls-20040604060928478.jpg

sticky-balls-20040604060929868.jpg

The games never looked that good.

Koshiro

The graphics aren't meant to be anything special, it's a style, and it's a board game style. This is not a graphics demo of the PSP (much as I wish it was, I'm generally in the DS camp).

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Well, not what I expected.... is this really better than Athlon XP and a 9600XT? Or more like TNT?

Perhaps work-in-progress and all that, but I remember the demo of the game to promise much more.

_38385465_tetris-thq150.jpg

(Note, there is a point to this parody, see if you can spot it...)

daMandus

Mhm, so the demo wasn't that impressive either. But still other PSP-games looks so much better than this.

The game looks to be fun anyway, looks quite like Super Monkey Ball (both gameplay-wise and graphic style).

Grubdog

Banned
The game looks pretty cool to me, what's wrong with it? So it doesn't have a million polygons and effects and bullshit, who cares? It could be fun.

Yeah, I think these shots show ten times the gameplay potential of the Metal Gear Acid screens for example... I like the look of it! Whos making it?

daMandus

Freeburn said:
Well, not what I expected.... is this really better than Athlon XP and a 9600XT? Or more like TNT?

_38385465_tetris-thq150.jpg

(Note, there is a point to this parody, see if you can spot it...)

Perhaps you're making fun of the fact that I rememberd the game to look much better than it really did? Other than that you are paraphrasing my post to make me look stupid, but that's so obvious that you don't need to point it out.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
daMandus said:
Perhaps you're making fun of the fact that I rememberd the game to look much better than it really did? Other than that you are paraphrasing my post to make me look stupid, but that's so obvious that you don't need to point it out.

Nope, I don't think it's necessary to make people look stupid, they are generally perfectly capable of doing that unassisted :p

My point was aimed at your "Well, not what I expected.... is this really better than PlayStation and close to PS2?" line, and the fact that you cannot take one or two titles and/or developers and extrapolate ANYTHING about a platforms performance limits from such a limited sample. Some titles just do not need to have all the latest bells and whistles for one, and not all developers are equal for another. (and this is just scratching the surface of reasons why such exercises are futile and pointless.)

cybercrash said:
That looks awful... Either the PSP has been overhyped and the technology really isn't anything special or these developers are making very little use of the PSP's strengths.

They're probably taking heed of Sony's request & holding back considerably because attempting to harness anything like the system's full power drains batteries in minutes.

Nice design choice, Sony.

8bit

Knows the Score
Is that EXtr33m Tetris with multiblock technology?

Oh, and I played the demo a while ago. I don't see how this looks significantly different, perhaps other than the possible introduction of hills into the game. I don't even think JPickford has anything to do with it nowadays.

daMandus

Freeburn said:
My point was aimed at your "Well, not what I expected.... is this really better than PlayStation and close to PS2?" line, and the fact that you cannot take one or two titles and/or developers and extrapolate ANYTHING about a platforms performance limits from such a limited sample. Some titles just do not need to have all the latest bells and whistles for one, and not all developers are equal for another. (and this is just scratching the surface of reasons why such exercises are futile and pointless.)

Yeah, that was stupid of me... just initially a bit dissappionted since I rememberd the game to look real good apart from seeming to be perfect for a portable.

DSN2K

graphics on the PSP is nowhere near the level sony have been saying.

tech demos mean crap, at least Nintendo showed games on DS.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Lots of aliasing.
Yeah, thank God DS has that 8x FSAA and it shows :p

This looks fine btw. Kinda like a SMB, but the style reminds me a bit of Ape Escape for some reason. A simplistic but bright and colorful looking game. You can already see that the image quality at least is very good. No signs of shimmering and other nastiness.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Marconelly:

> Yeah, thank God DS has that 8x FSAA and it shows :p

NDS graphics are explained by the system's specs. What's PSP's excuse?

> No signs of shimmering and other nastiness.

Have you even looked at the track? There's texture aliasing everywhere.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Have you even looked at the track? There's texture aliasing everywhere.
How do you know those tiles aren't all polygons? :D

Anyway,
going off topic here (since it has nothing to do with this particular game) - I don't know what Sony has been saying about level of PSP graphics or whatever, but I do know that the system does plenty of things nicer then the PS2 (Inspite the herecy of using fixed function geometry hardware
icon_evil.gif
).
However, fact is also that average PSP game budgets are a LOT lower then any of the bigger consoles, so if people expect PS2 production values, they're living in a dream world.

GDGF

Soothsayer
TheDrowningMan said:
They're probably taking heed of Sony's request & holding back considerably because attempting to harness anything like the system's full power drains batteries in minutes.

Nice design choice, Sony.

I don't think people are going to be happy paying top dollar for a PSP and getting graphics like this, no matter what the excuse is.

Sony shoulda worked those battery issues out a whole lot better.

Wait wait wait wait, we've seen games like MGS:ACiD and the graphics are pretty top notch for a handheld. Why does the game all of a sudden explain PSP's graphics quality?

Come on guys, I love the DS as well, but this is just silly.

neptunes

However, fact is also that average PSP game budgets are a LOT lower then any of the bigger consoles, so if people expect PS2 production values, they're living in a dream world.

logic...a rare thing indeed :)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Fafalada said:
How do you know those tiles aren't all polygons? :D

Anyway,
going off topic here (since it has nothing to do with this particular game) - I don't know what Sony has been saying about level of PSP graphics or whatever, but I do know that the system does plenty of things nicer then the PS2 (Inspite the herecy of using fixed function geometry hardware
icon_evil.gif
).

I would love if you could do object/world space clipping on the CPU+VFPU (you can) and then do T&L of the polygons produced either on the GPU or on the VFPU.

If you use the VFPU, how do you bypass the GPU's T&L unit ? What does this mean for multi-texturing (if polygons are T&L by the VFPU) ?

cybamerc

Fafalada:

> How do you know those tiles aren't all polygons? :D

I actually did consider that but it doesn't seem likely.

> but I do know that the system does plenty of things nicer then PS2.

I'm not questioning the power or functionality of the hardware but the games simply haven't impressed me so far. Don't get me wrong. The graphics are easily the best seen on a portable but considering the specs I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a lot more.

neptunes

I'm not questioning the power or functionality of the hardware but the games simply haven't impressed me so far. Don't get me wrong. The graphics are easily the best seen on a portable but considering the specs I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a lot more.

Then why are people complaining?

cybamerc

DarthWufei:

> Wait wait wait wait, we've seen games like MGS:ACiD and the graphics are pretty top
> notch for a handheld.

Any handheld other than the PSP.

8bit

Knows the Score
Panajev2001a said:
If you use the VFPU, how do you bypass the GPU's T&L unit ? What does this mean for multi-texturing (if polygons are T&L by the VFPU) ?

Knock yourself a pro slick. Gray matter back got perform' us' down I take TCBin, man'.

airplane-jive.gif

cybamerc

neptunes said:
Then why are people complaining?
People are complaining because the PSP should be able to do much better. It's perfectly understandable that not every game is going to max out the PSP but so far no game has really delivered the kind of graphics the hardware has potential to do. Until something truly spectacular is shown some ppl (including me) will continue to wonder what's up.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
8bit I was asking the question to Fafalada and I think he understands what I asked.

To make it simplier: if you Transfrom and Light your polygons in software with the Vector FPU the CPU core has, can you easily upload the display list to the GPU without having to go through the T&L unit in the GPU (technically you could pass through it, but just set things in such a way that the polygons are not affected/changed by the T&L unit except STQ co-ordinates so that the GPU can still handle multi-texturing on its own) ?

cybamerc said:
People are complaining because the PSP should be able to do much better. It's perfectly understandable that not every game is going to max out the PSP but so far no game has really delivered the kind of graphics the hardware has potential to do. Until something truly spectacular is shown some ppl (including me) will continue to wonder what's up.

How often do developers pull that amount of potential out of a system on launch games though? It takes a little time before games really start moving visually.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
The graphics of this game looks pretty decent, very cheery and very clean. I don't expect anything more from a puzzler, everything is detailed just enough and you can easily tell what is going on.

Hell this game looks like fun.

I sitll don't see it cybermerc, I came here with nothing and left with it as well.

The tables have turned it seems, but the same arguments made for the DS graphics and easily be made here except with heavier favor to the PSP. These aren't games close to completion, blah blah blah. Meh, so I don't get this idea that we haven't seen near PS2 quality games already. GT4 and MGS aren't reasons to think otherwise?

God, I wish more people had fought the reliability and memory stick arguments with me. Now that I think is more worthy of concern than this. I just don't see any justifiable reasoning behind these claims.

cybamerc

Panajev2001a said:
Why wouldn't that be a likely explanation ?
Why would they start modelling the tiles when they didn't in the old version? Look at the fine lines between the tiles... did they model those as well. Look at the balls. And unless the whole track is supposed to be able to fall apart what's the point in modelling the tiles?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Panajev said:
I would love if you could do object/world space clipping
Ok, I officially know that you're not human, or at partly insane now :p Noone normal could possibly love object/world space clipping... :D

If you use the VFPU, how do you bypass the GPU's T&L unit ?
Every T&L GPU I've seen to date(no you're not getting me to talk about PSP GPU directly :p) can accept pretransformed polys. It just means skipping the T&L part of the pipeline, not rocket science :)

Cybamerc said:
The graphics are easily the best seen on a portable but considering the specs I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a lot more.
Oh I agree with that - but consider for a moment the games you've been seeing.
A card game...
A port of PC shareware game with balls...
A port of 1st gen PS2 game (TMB) (looks pretty much like original did though)...
etc.
I mean, you don't even need to see these games to know this is lowbudget stuff(even within confines of the target platform)... Now, if we get to see something like MinaGolf at TGS and that looks weak - I'd call that reason to complain (especially since Sony would be idiots to not take advantage of such a great and successfull franchize to show off the capabilities of hardware).

DarthWufei said:
Wait wait wait wait, we've seen games like MGS:ACiD and the graphics are pretty top notch for a handheld. Why does the game all of a sudden explain PSP's graphics quality?

Come on guys, I love the DS as well, but this is just silly.

MGS:Acid is nothing special compared to MGS 2 and TTS, but well there was someone here who believed that snake's model in Acid was better than the Snake in the TTS....so i guess pple tend to see things diferentely.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Fafalada said:
Ok, I officially know that you're not human, or at partly insane now :p Noone normal could possibly love object/world space clipping... :D

My Computer Graphics teacher had the same look on his face when I asked him to help me a little with such an idea: he kinda liked the challenge too ;).

I wonder in what space you will have to do 3D clipping on PlayStation 3... "ass-backward space" ?

Still, that is something every PSP programmer has to do.

Clipping is only done on the fron-plane and if you pass the guard-band you polygons gets thrown away.. is everyone going to tessellate the geometry to such a level that the problem becomes a non-issue ?

What is Sony's beef with clipping anyway ? They bother with one plane and they do not replicate the logic to do all planes ?

Every T&L GPU I've seen to date(no you're not getting me to talk about PSP GPU directly :p)

Oh come on, the TGS is almost there and we had three, I repeat three technical presentations about the system specs ;).

Plus, I can be a pretty good boy in terms of keeping my mouth shut :D.

[...] can accept pretransformed polys. It just means skipping the T&L part of the pipeline, not rocket science :)

Cool :).

Bluemercury said:
MGS:Acid is nothing special compared to MGS 2 and TTS, but well there was someone here who believed that snake's model in Acid was better than the Snake in the TTS....so i guess pple tend to see things diferentely.

Eh, maybe so, I'm going from memory anyways, so maybe I'm reliving the experience a tad differently. There's still GT4 though.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Panajev said:
My Computer Graphics teacher had the same look on his face when I asked him to help me a little with such an idea: he kinda liked the challenge too ;).
The reason I said that though, is because I have first hand experience with writting object space clipper, and it's not really all that fun. :p

Clipping is only done on the fron-plane and if you pass the guard-band you polygons gets thrown away.. is everyone going to tessellate the geometry to such a level that the problem becomes a non-issue ?
I have half a mind to do just that, let any polygons that are too big get thrown away, blink on screen, and then blame the GPU designer for it. Or at least, I'd be tempted to do that and shove it into the face of the guy that said "2048 is guardband is "big".

Oh come on, the TGS is almost there and we had three, I repeat three technical presentations about the system specs ;).
And I have no problem discussing what has been said on those presentations. But not what has NOT been said ;)

Marconelly said:
Hmm, what's the VFPU used for, then?
Oh no don't get me wrong, VFPU is a work of art :p
And that remark was just my personal bit - fixed function hw is better for portable segment from economical standpoint in pretty much every way - easy to work with is their ticket, not fancy bullet point featuresets.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
And that remark was just my personal bit - fixed function hw is better for portable segment from economical standpoint in pretty much every way - easy to work with is their ticket, not fancy bullet point featuresets.
No, no. I meant, if the T&L is completely fixed function, what do you use that VFPU for? It's a vector FPU, after all :\

Top Bottom