• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

you're pnw now?!

edit: and if you jabronis are having a meet someone pm me cuz i never read this thread since you all shit on the south sound ;_____;
Eh, I don't see much of that in here. Really there's not much to complain about the South part of the Sound nowadays really if you ask me, mostly because it just kind of...exists. I do see some of my local friends who live up in the Seattle who complain about how bad or how ghetto Tacoma is, it's not 1995 anymore where that may of been true. As Tacoma has evolved and changed itself and has gotten rid of a lot of the problems that did plague Tacoma for a time. Tacoma is still very much a blue collar town if you ask me, but it has changed significantly from where it was 20 years ago.
Everyone told me I had to try a hotdog with cream cheese when I moved here. "Seattle Style" they said. So I did. I mean, it's not gross or anything, but there are so much better hotdog styles.
Hot Dog with cream cheese, I'll pass.

Chichikov

Everyone told me I had to try a hotdog with cream cheese when I moved here. "Seattle Style" they said. So I did. I mean, it's not gross or anything, but there are so much better hotdog styles.
There are, but they can all be improved by adding cream cheese to them.

cdyhybrid

The South Sound is a mystical land that I will never experience because I have to venture through Raccoon City Skull Island Mordor I-5 traffic to get there.

Trouble

Banned
The South Sound is a mystical land that I will never experience because I have to venture through Raccoon City Skull Island Mordor I-5 traffic to get there.

Yeah, but if you keep driving you get to the land of Burgervilles (decent burgers, amazing milkshakes), then Portland.

riotous

Banned
There are cool parts of Tacoma; almost the entirety of the area sourounding Tacoma (from SeaTac to Lakewood) is pretty bad suburban sprawl though.

I'd definitely prefer the east side to most of that; if the east side was more like say, Federal Way; the entire thing would look like a series of Crossroads Malls.

riotous

Banned
How many of y'all are actually on the Eastside?

I hate going into Seattle.

I work in Bellevue and have lived on the eastside before.

I don't agree with all the hate it gets here; people are very biased towards dense urban areas on this forum.

Definitely prefer Seattle but that doesn't suddenly make Bellevue crap; the downtown is somewhat vanilla but nice, as is the sprawl.. better than any of the million cookie cutter new/sprawl areas California spawns. And there's som great parks, hospitals, schools, etc. over there.

There are a few of us on the Eastside. I'm in Juanita (the cool part of Kirklandia)

Seattle-gaf is just jealous that we have all the best mountain bike trails on the eastside.

I work in Bellevue and have lived on the eastside before.

I don't agree with all the hate it gets here; people are very biased towards dense urban areas on this forum.

Definitely prefer Seattle but that doesn't suddenly make Bellevue crap; the downtown is somewhat vanilla but nice, as is the sprawl.. better than any of the million cookie cutter new/sprawl areas California spawns. And there's som great parks, hospitals, schools, etc. over there.

Picking on Bellevue is just a national pastime of ours.

riotous

Banned
Picking on Bellevue is just a national pastime of ours.

True!

For me, since I don't currently desire to live within walking distance of any sort of night life, the burbs are what I chose.

I do like living near the Greenwood / Holman road access to Fremont and Ballard. That's the area I missed the most when I lived on the east side; down town is convenient from places like Factoria, but going to any of the Seattle "cross town" hoods was a real pain.

Phthisis

There are a few of us on the Eastside. I'm in Juanita (the cool part of Kirklandia)

Seattle-gaf is just jealous that we have all the best mountain bike trails on the eastside.

I am also in Kirkland (Houghton/Bridle Trails neighborhood). Seattle is great, but easy access to the mountains and the lower population density is way more my speed.

I grew up in South King County in the 80s/90s. The Almost Live stereotypes of Bellevue and the East side in general are ingrained in me and will never go away.

Seriously, I just don't feel comfortable over there. Never really have. And now being a dirty city dweller, I enjoy the culture and walkability of Seattle. Bellevue is not for me.

jb1234

There's parts of Bellevue I like. The downtown core is pretty nice (and I love the park for walks). The rest of it is mostly car-centric sprawl and that doesn't really appeal to me.

leroidys

If the dreams of the 90's is alive in Portland, the dream of the 80's is alive in Bellevue. Everyone is beautiful and young and overwhelmingly white and expensively if not tastefully clothed. Gaudy glass office towers and luxury cars abound, and the downtown mall is the center of city culture. It's like an alternate universe where Miami Vice survived, hidden away in the PNW.

Pictured below: pretty much Bellevue

p9fepxm.jpg

riotous

Banned
lol; pretty accurate as far as the downtown core goes.. although it is rather funny seeing a Seattlite (I'm guessing) talk about how "white" Bellevue is.

fep

I can agree with the DT Bellevue dislike, but once you get out towards Crossroads it gets a bit better. Love Kirkland.. Redmond is nice too, though it is all a bit vanilla.

I think it's the nature and population density that I like. Marymoor dog park is also a fave.

leroidys

lol; pretty accurate as far as the downtown core goes.. although it is rather funny seeing a Seattlite (I'm guessing) talk about how "white" Bellevue is.
Well I didn't say Seattle is great. Honestly I'd probably prefer the burbs in Bellevue than the dumpster fire that Capitol Hill has become.

Sol1dus

Any of you guys live in apodments? My current lease is ending next month and the friend I moved to Seattle with wants to live the bougie lifestyle and get a nice studio downtown.

I'm wondering how they are. I don't have much stuff safe for clothes, a tv, and smaller things so size isn't that much of an issue.

mYm|17|

i was hanging out with some peeps in wallingford the other day, i could see living over there .. seems nice.

I wouldn't mind living in that area. It sucks that houses rarely go on the market in Wallingford and when they do, they are crazy expensive for what you get

dLMN8R

When I moved from Capitol Hill to Fremont/Wallingford a couple years ago I really really regretted it at first. But the more time has passed the happier I am with the decision. Every time I visit Capitol Hill now it's just really.....gross. And not even because of homeless people, but because of the trash that's just littered everywhere.

Whether because of people who live there or people who just come to party on the weekend, I don't know. But I usually end up in Capitol Hill for breakfast on Sunday mornings and it's just so disgusting.

And now that I live within walking distance of Seamonster Lounge, why would I go anywhere else on the weekends? :-D

av2k

Hey guys, I really enjoyed Ride the Ducks when I was in Seattle a few months before the horrible accident. Is there an alternate safe tour bus that you guys can recommend that does similar things(go into water while being safe, etc) that I can recommend to out of towners?

Phthisis

When I moved from Capitol Hill to Fremont/Wallingford a couple years ago I really really regretted it at first. But the more time has passed the happier I am with the decision. Every time I visit Capitol Hill now it's just really.....gross. And not even because of homeless people, but because of the trash that's just littered everywhere.

Whether because of people who live there or people who just come to party on the weekend, I don't know. But I usually end up in Capitol Hill for breakfast on Sunday mornings and it's just so disgusting.

And now that I live within walking distance of Seamonster Lounge, why would I go anywhere else on the weekends? :-D

This. Capitol Hill is the Hollywood of Seattle.

cdyhybrid

Have you seen KJ Sawka do any shows there?

Hey guys, I really enjoyed Ride the Ducks when I was in Seattle a few months before the horrible accident. Is there an alternate safe tour bus that you guys can recommend that does similar things(go into water while being safe, etc) that I can recommend to out of towners?

Nope. Ride the Ducks is it.

I think I'm going to stick to Fremont/U-District/Wallingford/Ravenna for a while.

My wife and I have a very specific area that we'd consider living in if we sold our house in Green Lake. Basically stay in Green Lake or move to Tangletown, Wallingford, or Ravenna. And honestly, our walkability is so great right now that we're probably even pickier about moving further away from things. Right now it's less than a five minute walk to PCC, few minutes longer to Whole Foods and we've got multiple parks, restaurants and my dear beer bars (Latona and Toronado) so close.

Top Bottom