• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

Ready for Traffic-geddon starting tomorrow due to Xi Jinping's visit?

SeattleTimes said:
All streets from Fourth to Seventh avenues and from Lenora Street to Olive Way will be closed the whole time, announced Scott Kubly, director of the Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT).

...pedestrians must pass through a police security checkpoint to walk along the affected streets, said Marybeth Turner, SDOT spokeswoman.

As for motorists, there will be some full-directional closures of highways, said Travis Phelps, spokesman for the state Department of Transportation. But those won’t be revealed — not even on overhead freeway information signs — until moments before the motorcade approaches, he said.

I wouldn't be surprised if the traffic fear mongering ends up making overall traffic lighter than normal.

That would be nice. The level of security is much higher than when Biden or Obama is in town. Pretty nuts.

Fortunately I work in Auburn and leave home around 6:30am. I should be fine. Coming home on I-5 might suck depending on what Jinping's mysterious itinerary has on it.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Great, so I have to wait in line to get frisked in order to get to work. Our bakery is right in the middle of the closure area.

Tomorrow is not gonna be fun day, I'm having to pick up a friend from the airport for an event we're both going to in the area. Probably will just take old 99 to avoid all this bs.

Trouble

Banned
Traffic around Belltown/Downtown really wasn't bad when I walked home about 30 minutes ago. A lot of streets that are in the 'zone' were actually open for traffic. Pedestrians could basically move through the area without inspection. Lots of protesters along Olive downtown.

mYm|17|

Luckily I-5 northbound was not busy at all really from near Southcenter area to Mercer St. exit. It was like my usual commute from down south. This was at around 3-4pm

dLMN8R

Wow. I'm working from home and was wondering what all these helicopters and sirens were from. I'm near Aurora in Fremont, around 45th.

riotous

Banned
That is crazy; and yeah Aurora bridge is just outright dangerous. I prefer the outside lanes due to the risk from the lack of median.

Got stuck in about 30 minutes of an I-5 closure yesterday due to Xi; but I'm working from home today and tomorrow so I'm good.

CenturyLink is currently running a fiber line to my house. WOOT!

dubc35

It's crazy narrow. I hate driving in the far lane next to the barrier. I take it home North a few times a week.

It is narrow; I would not be surprised if they reduced the bridge to 4 total lanes after this. I commute home on it everyday. Metro buses sometimes intentionally take up two lanes since they know they can't fit in one.

Just terrible. In the photos it looks like the Duck tore into the bus like it was made of foil. The no seatbelt things is probably bad idea as well, but I kind of get it for a boat. They should unbuckle when in the water and buckle up on land. Some reports say a wheel on the duck came off!

riotous

Banned
Almost every time I see them they are going fast on a side street.

One zipped past me and barely missed my mirror when I was in Pioneer square last week.

Shouta

Apparently, there was a formal recommendation 12 years ago to fix up the Aurora Bridge to improve safety but nothing happened. Ugh.

Aurora bridge is back open now right?

Yeah, it reopened early this morning.

Finally getting zone permit parking in my neighborhood. So psyched. We need it with the John Marshall school building being used and massive overflow from the 65th park and ride (plus once the Roosevelt light rail station is done I can only imagine it getting worse). My wife and I have two cars at the moment and only one spot in our driveway. I often have to circle around like crazy and park in a temporary spot until everyone leaves around 7pm in the evening if I take the other car.

mYm|17|

Yeah, it reopened early this morning.

Finally getting zone permit parking in my neighborhood. So psyched. We need it with the John Marshall school building being used and massive overflow from the 65th park and ride (plus once the Roosevelt light rail station is done I can only imagine it getting worse). My wife and I have two cars at the moment and only one spot in our driveway. I often have to circle around like crazy and park in a temporary spot until everyone leaves around 7pm in the evening if I take the other car.

I got friends who live on 5th ave between Woodlawn and 65th. I can never ever find parking on that road. I usually have to park on 4th ave. Parking around Greenlake is tough in general

jb1234

I got friends who live on 5th ave between Woodlawn and 65th. I can never ever find parking on that road. I usually have to park on 4th ave. Parking around Greenlake is tough in general

Has it gotten worse? I haven't parked in that area for several years but I can't imagine it being more horrific than Capitol Hill is these days.

I'm on the corner of 68th and Weedin. They've basically eliminated all the parking on the school side of 68th by John Marshall (now a bus loading zone) as well as the front of the school on Ravenna, and we get massive park and ride overflow, plus teachers take up street parking even though they have a big parking lot.

fOZmNSEl.jpg

mYm|17|

Has it gotten worse? I haven't parked in that area for several years but I can't imagine it being more horrific than Capitol Hill is these days.

I can't really say if it's gotten worse as I've only been here for over a year, but I have to drive around the block a few times before I find a spot.

Capitol Hill is the worst. I never drive down there anymore, I just take the bus.

I bought my house in Green Lake eight years ago this month. It's gotten way worse. Not Capitol Hill or downtown bad, but it's worse than it used to be. Really glad we have a drive way.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
We had dinner Friday night at Ernest Loves Agnes, the Italian joint that just opened in the old Kingfish Cafe location. Delicious pasta and amazing steak, but man, the service was so bad -- shouldn't surprise me considering it's owned by the lazy jackasses who run Lost Lake.

A woman at the bar struck up a conversation with us about how slow the staff was, ended up buying a round of drinks, and even secretly paid for our entire meal before she left. I'd probably go back for another dinner if I knew she was going to be there! ;)

Top Bottom