• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

Hastati

11172015-weather03-780x494.jpg

Those people have far more faith in the competency of WSDOT than I do.

Was that today!? Wow. Walking around downtown today was a mess, but at least there were slightly fewer people about.

Was in Seattle this past week for a science conference (ABRCMS). Was disappointed that the weather wasnt cooperative and just made the city and place seem so dreary. I didnt even realized beyond the street the Washington State Convention Center is on was some water bay or something.

Only time I ventured beyond the convention center was to go to some restaurant Bell + Whete and it was terrible (such small portion sizes).

I hope to visit again as it had the potential to be a good city but my time was terrible.

(also why so many tents and actual cardboard structures underneath the overpasses leaving the city, perhaps because I live in a very rural area, it was just shocking to see that on my way to Sea-tac)

Hastati

Was in Seattle this past week for a science conference (ABRCMS). Was disappointed that the weather wasnt cooperative and just made the city and place seem so dreary. I didnt even realized beyond the street the Washington State Convention Center is on was some water bay or something.

Only time I ventured beyond the convention center was to go to some restaurant Bell + Whete and it was terrible (such small portion sizes).

I hope to visit again as it had the potential to be a good city but my time was terrible.

(also why so many tents and actual cardboard structures underneath the overpasses leaving the city, perhaps because I live in a very rural area, it was just shocking to see that on my way to Sea-tac)

Declared a state of emergency for homelessness over the past couple of weeks, it's become a problem for the city and for the homeless people as well. I'm not sure what the solution will be, but it's sad. I mean, they aren't bothering me by setting up in tents, but you see it all over the place now, in Green lake, under the ship canal bridge, pretty much wherever there aren't residences. Also definitely not limited to Seattle/WA.

As for the weather, it'll be like this until about May, lol. If you want to see the pretty side of Seattle come in late spring or summer. And don't spend much time in downtown.

Yea this is like typical fall/winter season here. The beauty of having 4 seasons I guess.. Spring/Summer so much better. That's when most people come.

Power went out at work, was allowed to go home an hour early

Was rewarded with a drive through downtown Puyallup and the entirety of meridian without functioning traffic lights

lawnchair

Banned

homelessness is a big problem in many major american cities .. something that needs to be addressed nationally. you saw part of the shocking reality that many people in this country don't have/can't afford a place to sleep indoors during the winter.

jediyoshi

Seattle Board Approves Later School Start Times In 'Historic' Vote
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/seattle-school-start-times_564d57f8e4b00b7997f941d5

The school board voted 6-1 to have the city's high schools start at 8:45 a.m. in the 2016-2017 school year. Most of the district's middle schools and some K-8 schools will also start at that time, while the remaining schools will either start at 7:55 a.m. or 9:35 a.m., according to The Seattle Times.

Damn I would have loved this

riotous

Banned
I think the infamous "convergnce zone" is right above my house. We got hit with the storm at like 7AM and some branches fell, then it was calm the rest of the day. Aurora is only 2 blocks away and I was driving down it and it was stormy like crazy... then I turned off onto my side street and... nothing.. no rain, no wind. lol

We often can look out our front window and see completely different weather than our back yard.

riotous

Banned
I could see that being a problem for some teens who need to have jobs due to their financial situation. Starting late means ending late which changes the jobs or shifts they'd have available to them; hopefully Seattle continues to support programs like Nova that allow disadvantaged students to work around their difficulties.

dLMN8R

So Comcast gonna Comcast, I guess?

I've happily used their Internet Plus deal for the last couple of years. Comes with their 50 megabit internet, local channels, HBO, DVR for around $75/month.

Some time in the last couple weeks Comcast decides that they don't want to include DVR in that service anymore. So my DVR mysteriously becomes deactivated. I got no notice of any sort, not even a request for me to pay more money. It's just....gone.

They obviously want me to pay more for a higher tier service. I say fuck it. I downgraded to just Internet where I'll be paying ~$15-20 less per month, and will just use over-the-air TV with my Xbox One instead.

Question:

Why does it always feel like your downtown is kind of... Deserted? I'm at the Veggie Grill (South Union) right now, and all the way here, DT felt empty! Same yesterday morning when I was at Pike Place Market, and the surrounding areas.

Catch y'all on an off weekend?

Lovely city though. I only had one person come up to me to ask about my turban lol

EMP Museum was great. Skipped the Space Needle. The Seattle Art Museum was gorgeous. The Flight Museum was fucking kickass. Does Boeing run this town? Shame the gift shop is so expensive.

Next time I'm here I wanna check out Mt Baker and Mt Rainier. Maybe the National Parks around here.

I stayed at my cousin's place in Kent for the weekend. Gonna see if it's worthwhile to hit up the outlet shops in Marysville (?) on the way home tomorrow

riotous

Banned
Downtown is only crowded on the weekends during the better weather months. Sunday is particularly dead. South Lake Union is mostly new development as well and almost always feels deserted outside of certain work hours; go to Capitol Hill or Queen Anne or Ballard where people actually live to find... the people on the weekend.

During the week when millions come into the city to work is a different story.

Question:

Why does it always feel like your downtown is kind of... Deserted? I'm at the Veggie Grill (South Union) right now, and all the way here, DT felt empty! Same yesterday morning when I was at Pike Place Market, and the surrounding areas.

We don't live downtown. Come visit the neighborhoods next time.

jb1234

Question:

No one particularly cares about downtown unless they have to work there.

Downtown is only crowded on the weekends during the better weather months. Sunday is particularly dead. South Lake Union is mostly new development as well and almost always feels deserted outside of certain work hours; go to Capitol Hill or Queen Anne or Ballard where people actually live to find... the people on the weekend.

During the week when millions come into the city to work is a different story.

We don't live downtown. Come visit the neighborhoods next time.

No one particularly cares about downtown unless they have to work there.

That's so odd. Vancouver downtown and the entertainment district are like... Together.

So where do I go then on weekend nights? Where are the neighborhoods?

That's so odd. Vancouver downtown and the entertainment district are like... Together.

So where do I go then on weekend nights? Where are the neighborhoods?
If you're mostly downtown, the easiest (and closest) neighborhoods to visit where people actually live are Belltown and Capitol Hill. Belltown is just north of downtown, and Capitol Hill is to the east. Both super walkable.

If you want to go to Fremont, Ballard, Georgetown, etc., you'll have to drive or at the very least take the bus. Certainly worth it to see the real part of the city though.

If you're mostly downtown, the easiest (and closest) neighborhoods to visit where people actually live are Belltown and Capitol Hill. Belltown is just north of downtown, and Capitol Hill is to the east. Both super walkable.

If you want to go to Fremont, Ballard, Georgetown, etc., you'll have to drive or at the very least take the bus. Certainly worth it to see the real part of the city though.

Go east to Capitol Hill, yo.

I had my car, so I drove everywhere lol. It's rad that parking is free on Sundays. There's so much left to check out. I'll definitely be back in the spring.

Doesn't seem like there's a big Indian population here though. What's the ethnic breakdown of Seattle?

leroidys

I had my car, so I drove everywhere lol. It's rad that parking is free on Sundays. There's so much left to check out. I'll definitely be back in the spring.

Doesn't seem like there's a big Indian population here though. What's the ethnic breakdown of Seattle?

Most of the (sizable) Indian population tends to live on the eastside (Bellevue, Kirkland, Renton, Issaquah).

jb1234

Most of the (sizable) Indian population tends to live on the eastside (Bellevue, Kirkland, Renton, Issaquah).

Virtually everyone I used to work with in the Chinese community did as well. They had money to burn, too. Gotta say, was kinda envious.

Top Bottom