• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

Most of the (sizable) Indian population tends to live on the eastside (Bellevue, Kirkland, Renton, Issaquah).

Truth. I live in a complex near Woodinville that is right next to a Microsoft park & ride, so I'd say my complex is about 80% Indian or Asian. The diversity is awesome but the apartments are not. Tons of Microsoft families live here, which explains why the rent is so expensive for mediocre apartments and shitty appliances. Plus, it's Bothell. Can't wait to move in 2 months. :\

Speaking of which, what are your favorite neighbors north of the city? My boyfriend and I are thinking about moving to Ravenna, Green Lake, or Greenwood. I've lived in Cap Hill and LQA but haven't spent much time in the north part of Seattle.

cdyhybrid

Truth. I live in a complex near Woodinville that is right next to a Microsoft park & ride, so I'd say my complex is about 80% Indian or Asian. The diversity is awesome but the apartments are not. Tons of Microsoft families live here, which explains why the rent is so expensive for mediocre apartments and shitty appliances. Plus, it's Bothell. Can't wait to move in 2 months. :

Speaking of which, what are your favorite neighbors north of the city? My boyfriend and I are thinking about moving to Ravenna, Green Lake, or Greenwood. I've lived in Cap Hill and LQA but haven't spent much time in the north part of Seattle.
Those three are all pretty great. I'd just spend a day walking around each and get a feel for them.

Truth. I live in a complex near Woodinville that is right next to a Microsoft park & ride, so I'd say my complex is about 80% Indian or Asian. The diversity is awesome but the apartments are not. Tons of Microsoft families live here, which explains why the rent is so expensive for mediocre apartments and shitty appliances. Plus, it's Bothell. Can't wait to move in 2 months. :\

We are the city. :p

I've lived in Green Lake since 2007 and love it. The walkability is awesome.

We are the city. :p

I've lived in Green Lake since 2007 and love it. The walkability is awesome.

Hah, sorry, of course. I meant north of downtown/cap hill/queen anne. I've been here for three and a half years and I keep forgetting how far north Seattle actually stretches.

That's good to hear about the walkability. I've seen some really cool looking 2 bedrooms that aren't *too* expensive on Craigslist. I have a car but my boyfriend and I will likely take buses to/from work so that's going to be an important thing we look for.

cdyhybrid

Hah, sorry, of course. I meant north of downtown/cap hill/queen anne. I've been here for three and a half years and I keep forgetting how far north Seattle actually stretches.

That's good to hear about the walkability. I've seen some really cool looking 2 bedrooms that aren't *too* expensive on Craigslist. I have a car but my boyfriend and I will likely take buses to/from work so that's going to be an important thing we look for.
Where do you work? There should be plenty of buses into downtown.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Don't forget Wallingford. Great restaurants, schools, Burke Gilman trail, best commute to the Eastside (if that's a factor).

And of course, Seattle's preeminent cat cafe.

dLMN8R

Yeah, I lived in Capitol Hill for a few years but glad I moved when I did. Now been around 45th/Stone Way for two years and am super happy about it.

Can easily walk to a bunch of places in both Wallingford and Fremont. Can easily bus it downtown on either the 16 or E. Close enough to Green Lake to run or walk there. Even the U District is walkable if I have enough time.

But yes, the cat cafe is obviously the most important part.

I'm a full-time graduate student right now in the biotech field (bioinformatics), so I imagine when I start working it'll be either in a lab at UW or somewhere downtown like SLU where there are quite a few biotech companies.

Thanks guys - seems like that whole area is a good bet. I've actually been surprised at the number of 2 bedrooms popping up for under $2000 a month in those areas. After living on the Eastside for 2 years, I'm done driving everywhere and living in overpriced crappy communities. I'd much rather walk/take the bus and live in an older apartment that's actually near cool stuff.

riotous

Banned
So what's the best area in Fremont/Ballard to walk around and get a feel for not-downtown Seattle?

Approximately the circle area for Fremont, but there are some destinations outside the circle too:

2cvrC0L.png

And same concept for Ballard, which is quite a bit larger as far as how they have popular spots on the outskirts, but this main circle is the hub of the walkable part:

9ZreNQ9.png

Socreges

Banned
Thank you kindly

Summary so far:

Bottleworks (spent $70 US - dangerous place)
Fremont
- Some underground market... 'one man's trash' kinda place, but there was a lot of cool stuff
- Brouwer's Cafe (stumbled across it... nice)
Ballard
- currently in a washroom suffering the delicious lamb burger from Brouwer's

I really like these parts of Seattle. Much fonder of the city now.

On my way to Holy Mountain soon.

Trouble

Banned
Ah yeah, Freemont market. Haven't been there in ages. For an urban flea market there are surprisingly pretty good finds sometimes.

I bought this sweet-ass solid brass belt buckle there for a dollar years ago. Still wear it quite a bit.

BTX340q.jpg

Lister is a British diesel generator manufacturer.

riotous

Banned
I really like these parts of Seattle. Much fonder of the city now.

On my way to Holy Mountain soon.

Yeah there is a stark contrast between downtown and where most people live and hang out. Aside from Fremont and Ballard there are a ton of smaller but kinda similar "near downtown" hoods. I really liked living in Eastlake for instance; in one little microcosm of Seattle you have a lot of young people takig advantage of the "under the freeway" cheapness of the apartments near I-5 all the way down to the multi-million dollar lake front condos and house boats and everything in between.

Downtown really doesn't stand out from other more urban cities like San Francisco on the West Coast. It's just a smaller version of the typical West Coast city; high end malls, lots of money, some good restaurants, and some quaint but overrun by tourism areas like Pike Place.

While Pike Place is a pretty amazing market with some amazing products; most of those products are sold in the surrounding area. I live 15 miles from downtown and the grocery store by my house goes to Pike Place to pick up seafood 3 times a week for instance.

Trouble

Banned
I have to admit I would move to the northside in a heartbeat, but I walk to work right now and I don't think I could handle an actual commute.

mYm|17|

Well I was going to live in Columbia City, but that fell through so living in Belltown now at the Insignia condos. Pretty nice to live close to downtown/queen anne/south lake union. Also, I work right by Google in Fremont so I can bus it now to work.

Stinkles

Well I was going to live in Columbia City, but that fell through so living in Belltown now at the Insignia condos. Pretty nice to live close to downtown/queen anne/south lake union. Also, I work right by Google in Fremont so I can bus it now to work.

You should move to the Stone Way corridor bro. East of it is better.

mYm|17|

You should move to the Stone Way corridor bro. East of it is better.
Tried looking there and wanted to live in Wallingford, but damn nothing is ever available in that area.

Just renting in Belltown for awhile and hopefully the market dies down sooner or later to buy

Stinkles

Yes Beacon Plumbing, I am sure that your shitty local TV ad campaign featuring Marshawn Lynch will mean that my plumbing bill will be reasonable and not at all jacked up or artificially inflated to accommodate an utterly disproportionate marketing expense. So I shall stop freakin'

riotous

Banned
I've used them for both my furnace and water heater which needed replacing; they were fast and efficient. Rate was a little higher than some of the other companies or random handy man type businesses I've used but they did everything faster so it is sort of a wash price wse. Furnace busted in the middle of the winter a few years back right near Christmas and they could get to me much quicker than anyone else I'd called.

Tried looking there and wanted to live in Wallingford, but damn nothing is ever available in that area.

Since I'm moving in Feb/March, I've been casually looking on Craigslist every few days and yeah, nothing's come up in my price range and that accepts pets in Wallingford yet.

So... how about that snow we're supposed to get tomorrow?! I wonder how much, if any, is actually going to stick.

mYm|17|

Since I'm moving in Feb/March, I've been casually looking on Craigslist every few days and yeah, nothing's come up in my price range and that accepts pets in Wallingford yet.

So... how about that snow we're supposed to get tomorrow?! I wonder how much, if any, is actually going to stick.

Try like Hot Pads/Trulia rentals

I doubt we get snow, but damn I feel bad for people getting stuck going through Snoqualmie pass. I was there this past weekend and seeing people put chains on their tires on the side of the road was crazy. Miles and miles of people putting them on.

riotous

Banned
I'd offer my basement to people moving here (not really) but I have a friend whose down on his luck moving in for a while. This may be a mistake lol.

Snow is dope for precisely 12 hours, assuming it falls overnight. After that it's just a sloppy mess.

With that said, I'd gladly welcome the chance to sled down Dravus again this year.

mYm|17|

I missed out last year when it snowed during thanksgiving. I was in Portland at the time and saw some snow flurries there.

Nothing compares to when I was stuck in the Snowpocalypse in Atlanta a few years ago. So miserable and I can't believe my truck went unscathed with all the sliding vehicles on the highway

riotous

Banned
Yeah; it was quite the scene, I drove through all of it myself after a 12 hour ordeal between SeaTac and downtown on I-5. Downtown under the freeway park was surreal... abandon cars, people sitting in cars that have been turned sideways with 6 inches of snow on them and people still in them.. lines of busses trying to block people from hitting the piles of abandoned cars... and then like 2 lanes you could drive through if you were so brave.

Top Bottom