• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
one of my fav pic ever!!
this was taken 2 days ago i think?
qasJIl.jpg

Cascades or Olympics?

Yeah, Midwest, we got two equidistant soaring mountain ranges framed by lake or sound.

jb1234

Aw, man! I slept through the storm! :(

D23: Your friend's photo is really, really stunning. Does he have a better resolution version available, for wallpaper?

I saw Bourdain's camera crew a block away from the Unicorn on Capitol Hill tonight. They were shooting some coverage. I didn't catch him though. Would have loved to meet him.

Shoreline Central Market.

Just saw a camera crew filming shoppers.

edit: What I meant was, Top Chef like filming of people shopping who appeared to be contestants.

The employees even had a BS excuse, "filming a commercial" which made no sense. The people shopping weren't being directed to do anything, they were being filmed while they ran around.

My GF and I are visiting Seattle for the first time in about 2 weeks.

Where's the best place to get a hotel that's close to record shops and artsy and cool bars/cafes/stores?

My GF and I are visiting Seattle for the first time in about 2 weeks.

Where's the best place to get a hotel that's close to record shops and artsy and cool bars/cafes/stores?

Marqueen in Queen Anne isn't a bad idea if you're really into record stores. Easy Street has a location right around the corner from the hotel. The bars/cafes aren't the best around there, though. You'd want to head to Capitol Hill or Ballard for that. Sonic Boom Records is in Ballard.

dLMN8R

Fremont and Capitol Hill are my favorite neighborhoods if you want to avoid touristy stuff and see more of the culture. Especially record shops, the best coffee shops, etc.

Yeah some of the best areas for what you describe will be somewhat lacking in hotels.

But luckily for you, we have an amazing public transporta...

Shit, for a second I thought I lived somewhere else ;)

We might rent bikes (assuming there's places we could do that?) but I'm also down with walking and I also have a zipcar membership (in Toronto, but apparently it transfers over to the US cities as well).

It sounds like Capitol Hill is where we'll end up to start. Is the University District filled with douches/tourists or is it worth checking out too?

Chichikov

We might rent bikes (assuming there's places we could do that?) but I'm also down with walking and I also have a zipcar membership (in Toronto, but apparently it transfers over to the US cities as well).

It sounds like Capitol Hill is where we'll end up to start. Is the University District filled with douches/tourists or is it worth checking out too?
Not so much tourists, but it's not really worth checking out if you ask me.
I guess a tour of UW is okay(ish) if you're into such things.

And I would get a hotel in Belltown/downtown - plenty to choose from and you're close to Capitol Hill (which is where you would want to go).

Seattle is essentially a series of giant hills with bodies of water surrounding them.

It's just not a great walking/biking city, you have to be pretty well prepared for a tough ride/walk/hike if that's what you are going for.

But yeah, ZipCar is prevalent here.

U-District is.. OK.. you are going to be underwhelmed compared to walking around a place like Capitol Hill.

20 years ago the U-District was one of the cultural centers of Seattle.. but IMO it's gone way downhill since then.

If you're north of the ship canal, Seattle is very walkable/bike friendly. Just hop on the Burke Gilman and you can get to U-District, Fremont, Ballard, etc.

dLMN8R

Yeah, don't bother with the U District. My wife and I have lived here for almost a year and have been meaning to get out there for a while. We finally did a few weeks ago and weren't all that interested in much once we got there.

We live in Capitol Hill and can walk to Pike Place in about 40 minutes, but it's a huge uphill on the way back. We've walked from Capitol Hill to Queen Anne before, but Queen Anne Hill is insanity. I wouldn't recommend doing that walk if you're just out for a touristy stroll.

If you're north of the ship canal, Seattle is very walkable/bike friendly. Just hop on the Burke Gilman and you can get to U-District, Fremont, Ballard, etc.

That's true.

And I love N. Seattle, it's my home. And if someone is up for it, walking/biking around downtown Seattle isn't completely out of the picture. But I definitely think it's worthy of warning people about. Relative to what they may be used to elsewhere, it's not for the feint of heart, and it's really easy to see 2 points on a google map or something and not realize while they may appear close, it's quite a hike/ride to actually make the trip.

Yeah, don't bother with the U District. My wife and I have lived here for almost a year and have been meaning to get out there for a while. We finally did a few weeks ago and weren't all that interested in much once we got there.

I'm in Greenlake, so it's a real short (~1 mile) walk to the U-District from my house. The Ave has Herkimer Coffee, Nook, Big Time Brewing, Samurai Noodle and the Farmer's Market on Saturdays. The Varsity still shows good films and The Neptune has done very well so far as a concert venue. If you're into gaming, the Pink Gorilla on the Ave is pretty decent. On the Roosevelt side of the U District you've got Scarecrow Video, Portage Bay Cafe, Sundance Cinemas, and Half Price Books. It's not all bad.

GrizzNKev

Banned
It's official! My move to Redmond happens August 27th. Going to DigiPen for their new Engineering and Sound Design program. It seems I'll be one of very few in it. Maybe it'll prove useful as something that's rare. No clue how needed that kind of thing is in the industry, but that's what I want to do. I know 343 has hired at least one person from the school.

It's official! My move to Redmond happens August 27th. Going to DigiPen for their new Engineering and Sound Design program. It seems I'll be one of very few in it. Maybe it'll prove useful as something that's rare. No clue how needed that kind of thing is in the industry, but that's what I want to do. I know 343 has hired at least one person from the school.

I saw their booth at PAX last year. Seemed pretty legit.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Redmond is a snooze fest, but there are worse places in WA. I've lived in most of them.

Can't wait to stalk you <3

But I hear digipen isnt easy to get into. Congrats.

But I'm a snoozefest, you know that. It'll fit me perfectly.

Oh and thanks. The University of Florida left me feeling... unfulfilled. I can't be happy unless I'm doing what I love and chasing the dream. We'd probably get along in person.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I would have loved to go but I didn't even know I was moving until long after passes were sold out. Oh well. All I have to get around is a bike anyway.

It's a beautiful area in general geography wise. Very near the mountains. You'll get used to Seattlites panning the "East Side" (Redmond is basically the East of the Eastside), but don't take it too seriously. It's considered a nice place to live by many of it's residents. I'm not particularly a fan but I do think where it's situated is a pretty cool area. I like the plethora of rivers and streams and it's generally a heavily wooded area.

GrizzNKev

Banned
It's a beautiful area in general geography wise. Very near the mountains. You'll get used to Seattlites panning the "East Side" (Redmond is basically the East of the Eastside), but don't take it too seriously. It's considered a nice place to live by many of it's residents. I'm not particularly a fan but I do think where it's situated is a pretty cool area. I like the plethora of rivers and streams and it's generally a heavily wooded area.

Well what I'm looking for is a drastic change from the infinite, flat suburbs of south Florida. I've spent my entire life in a place I can only describe as street house street house street house highway house street house, with almost zero foliage and no variation in altitude. I think I'll be quite happy there.

Concept17

Oh and thanks. The University of Florida left me feeling... unfulfilled. I can't be happy unless I'm doing what I love and chasing the dream. We'd probably get along in person.

Best friend graduated from Digipen. Very tough school, but extremely rewarding in the long run.

Sigh... been wanting to move back out to Seattle for the last 6 years, but can't. :(

My problem with the Eastside is that it's massive suburban sprawl lacking in culture where you have to drive to get pretty much anywhere. I know I'm generalizing, but stereotypes are always grounded in truth.

jb1234

Well what I'm looking for is a drastic change from the infinite, flat suburbs of south Florida. I've spent my entire life in a place I can only describe as street house street house street house highway house street house, with almost zero foliage and no variation in altitude. I think I'll be quite happy there.

Redmond is pretty much the definition of suburbia. Not much in terms of things to do so you'll need a car but if you have that, you should be happy.

ido

My wife and I are visiting Seattle for the first time from September 11-17.

Would love some suggestions of shit to do and opinions about Seattle during that time of year.

I know we'll want to eat, and I think I want to stop in and do some type of open mat session in BJJ... Besides that, no clue.

We are staying at the Sheraton. Is it a pretty decent stay?

Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom