• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
My problem with the Eastside is that it's massive suburban sprawl lacking in culture where you have to drive to get pretty much anywhere. I know I'm generalizing, but stereotypes are always grounded in truth.

Agreed, but lakeshore Kirkland has a nice marina vibe and some of the hills surrounding Redmond, like Redmond Ridge and Issiquah highlands are unarguably pretty.

But I am Westside for lief.

Stinkles

Great news. Her work is footing the bill for this trip and it will be the furthest I have ever travelled so I am very excited about the trip.

One thing that's cheap and well worth it is a seaplane ride, simple flying tour over the lakes and city. Beautiful and about $90 a head, if I remember rightly. You take off from Westlake (Lake Union).

GrizzNKev

Banned
Agreed, but lakeshore Kirkland has a nice marina vibe and some of the hills surrounding Redmond, like Redmond Ridge and Issiquah highlands are unarguably pretty.

But I am Westside for lief.

I'm the kind of person who enjoys scenic bike rides through nature. Is Redmond right for me? The closest I can get to that here in South Florida is a fake "forested" park right next to an elevated highway. It sucks.

For the record, we've met. I'm the really young media guy from E3 this year who said he was from GAF. I was in the media demo room the same time as GameTrailers, who brought their camera with them. I asked about bloom and weak points. Not sure if you remember that but whatever.

ido

One thing that's cheap and well worth it is a seaplane ride, simple flying tour over the lakes and city. Beautiful and about $90 a head, if I remember rightly. You take off from Westlake (Lake Union).

That sounds pretty amazing. Thank you.

Is the Space Needle worth a visit at all?

Any MMA/BJJ GAF know of a gym I could get a few rolls in?

jb1234

The view is okay but if that's what you're after, there's other options that are much cheaper (and free). And yeah, the hotel is nice and in a great location!

You might want to check out the Pike Place Market. It's very, very crowded in the afternoons but it can be a lot of fun in the morning. Opinions may vary. ;)

ido

The view is okay but if that's what you're after, there's other options that are much cheaper (and free). And yeah, the hotel is nice and in a great location!

You might want to check out the Pike Place Market. It's very, very crowded in the afternoons but it can be a lot of fun in the morning. Opinions may vary. ;)

Crowds make me nervous.

We are from Mississippi and besides Las Vegas this will be my first "big city" visit ever. Kind of nervously excited about it.

Transportation for where I will be? Should I rent a car, take cabs(is it fairly easy to do this?), or what?

Thanks, everyone.

Chichikov

I'm the kind of person who enjoys scenic bike rides through nature. Is Redmond right for me? The closest I can get to that here in South Florida is a fake "forested" park right next to an elevated highway. It sucks.
You're gonna jizz in your bike shorts.

It's the pacific northwest yo!
Even our boring ass suburbia (AKA Redmond) looks like this -
4WFCI.jpg

Now that it's Galaxy Orange again, sure!
(yeah, it's pretty nice, touristy, but if it's a nice day you get a really nice view).

jb1234

Crowds make me nervous.

We are from Mississippi and besides Las Vegas this will be my first "big city" visit ever. Kind of nervously excited about it.

Transportation for where I will be? Should I rent a car, take cabs(is it fairly easy to do this?), or what?

You should like it here. I can't predict the weather for early September (because it can wildly vary) but be prepared for colder temps and rain. The usual. ;)

For transportation, unless you plan on leaving the city limits, you can easily get by with the light rail (from the airport to downtown) and buses (for Capitol Hill, U-District, Queen Anne, Fremont, etc). Downtown is easily walkable, but very, very hilly so bring good walking shoes. I wouldn't walk around the area after dark.

I wouldn't rent a car unless you want to visit the Eastside. Parking is a pain in the ass here and those luxury hotels tend to have *very* expensive valet parking only.

(Just checked. $44 a day for the Sheraton. Ouch.)

ido

You've been a great help.

I think we will only rent a car on the day we are traveling to Olympic National Park. Which, speaking of, we hope is pretty. Also since it is close to a few beaches we may go there as well.

Going to crunch in as much as possible in our limited stay.

jb1234

It's not that bad.

Just playing it safe. Although crime does seem to be on the rise (or maybe the media is just having a field day overreporting every single incident).

I think we will only rent a car on the day we are traveling to Olympic National Park. Which, speaking of, we hope is pretty. Also since it is close to a few beaches we may go there as well.

Snoqualmie Falls is also very beautiful (although in the opposite direction). Also, check out Alki (in West Seattle) if you want a beach in the city limits. There's a water taxi downtown that'll take you there. Great views of downtown.

ido

Snoqualmie Falls is also very beautiful (although in the opposite direction). Also, check out Alki (in West Seattle) if you want a beach in the city limits. There's a water taxi downtown that'll take you there. Great views of downtown.

You are a fucking treasure trove of knowledge, thank you. I'm noting all of this to discuss with my wife.

Chichikov

You've been a great help.

Olympic National Park is beautiful, but if you're short on time and you've never been around here, go to Mount Rainier National Park, it's closer, easier, and man, it's like the prettiest place on earth (seriously).
And regarding beaches, the pacific ocean is fucking cold, if you want to enjoy a swim, you'll have to go to a lake (and hope for good weather).
Luckily, there are lakes everywhere.

jb1234

You are a fucking treasure trove of knowledge, thank you. I'm noting all of this to discuss with my wife.

Happy to help. Let me know if you have any other questions.

And regarding beaches, the pacific ocean is fucking cold, if you want to enjoy a swim, you'll have to go to a lake (and hope for good weather).

Yeah, as a general rule, people don't swim at our beaches. ;)

Yep. Even though my family hangs out around Mukilteo we never swim there. We go to Silver Lake for that. Also this place is biker heaven.

Stinkles

Yeah Redmond is "Suburbia 101", but the amount of forest and trails is fantastic. Many great routes if you like to bike/run.

Redmond River trail is an amazing bike path - goes from Lake Sammamish, all the way to (with some mild shenanigans) the Burke Gilman trail on Lake Washington and is flat the entire way, but with plenty of trails and hilly detours if that's your bag.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Redmond River trail is an amazing bike path - goes from Lake Sammamish, all the way to (with some mild shenanigans) the Burke Gilman trail on Lake Washington and is flat the entire way, but with plenty of trails and hilly detours if that's your bag.

I'll definitely take the time to check those out during the week I'm there before school starts. Thanks.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So... fucking hell about that garbage strike, eh?

If they don't come this week, I'm probably going to borrow a truck and haul it to the dump myself.

So... fucking hell about that garbage strike, eh?

If they don't come this week, I'm probably going to borrow a truck and haul it to the dump myself.

We're doing ok with garbage and yard waste, but since recycling is every two weeks, we're really hurting. I'm taking a bunch of cardboard up tomorrow morning to the free drop off area next to the Shoreline transfer station.

CleanScapes does our garbage up here in the great distant North of Shoreline.

Lucked out I guess.. didn't realize there was a strike. Who is striking? Rabanco?

Heavy_D

Banned
I'm still getting my Garbage picked up in Edmonds. I believe it's Alliance or Allied, something like that.

I'm new to GAF so it's great to see a lot of Seattle folks up in here! Any chance of a SeattleGAF meetup at Gameworks or the Seattle Pinball Museum in the near future?

CleanScapes does our garbage up here in the great distant North of Shoreline.

Lucked out I guess.. didn't realize there was a strike. Who is striking? Rabanco?

Waste Management recycling and yard waste is striking, it's been all over the news the last week. The garbage guys are not working as a sign of solidarity.

I'm in Greenlake on the west side of I-5. If you cross under and over to Roosevelt and the U District, East of I-5, it's Clean Scapes. I see them picking up people's trash on morning walks with my daughter. [sigh]

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
We had called for a bigger trash can just last week, so not only is our trash not picked up yet, 3 additional bags of garbage from us are still sitting out there not in a can, mostly full of newborn diaper poop.

Waste Management recycling and yard waste is striking, it's been all over the news the last week. The garbage guys are not working as a sign of solidarity.

I'm in Greenlake on the west side of I-5. If you cross under and over to Roosevelt and the U District, East of I-5, it's Clean Scapes. I see them picking up people's trash on morning walks with my daughter. [sigh]

Ah yeah, WM.

And yeah, I don't watch TV News.. I do go to king5.com or komotv.com once or twice a week, must've just missed the story. Been a week or so since I bothered to look at local news.

Romney has been too distracting.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
What is involved in a city choosing a garbage collector? If Waste Management keeps this shit up, can the city just dump them and contract a different collector?

Hilbert

What is involved in a city choosing a garbage collector? If Waste Management keeps this shit up, can the city just dump them and contract a different collector?

I just heard on the news that if they don't pick up garbage soon, most cities have in their contract huge fines. Millions of dollars huge.

I read a little about the strike.

So it's a pretty basic money-demand strike, with the added twist of a complaint about the disparity between their jobs and the actual "garbage" guys jobs?

And the basic Math being:

Current average: $58,000
Offered raise: $68,000

So, how many people are we talking getting $10k raises?

That has to be millions of dollars overall that this company has, within their profit margin, from a taxpayer funded contract, to give to their employees Who sound pretty damn over-payed.

So our city takes our money, and then makes companies millions of dollars to throw our garbage out and pay the people driving around more than our city can manage to pay most schoolteachers?

Great world we live in.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Seems like a rather ridiculous demand to me.

Considering the profound effects uncollected garbage can have even in the short term, I have nothing but ire for these selfish assholes. If they are willing screw over hundreds of thousands of people (and possibly even put their health at risk) just so they can demand more money on top of what is already a very decent wage, then what's to stop them from just doing this again the next time they feel they are being wronged?

coldvein

Banned
huh...i've been out of the country for a bit and my garbage situation seems to be fine. glad i didn't have to come home to a huge mountain of refuse by the dumpster. it usually gets like that anyway.

Hilbert

I saw waste management picking up garbage at Microsoft today. Hopefully they move onto residential pickup soon.

Seems like a rather ridiculous demand to me.

Considering the profound effects uncollected garbage can have even in the short term, I have nothing but ire for these selfish assholes. If they are willing screw over hundreds of thousands of people (and possibly even put their health at risk) just so they can demand more money on top of what is already a very decent wage, then what's to stop them from just doing this again the next time they feel they are being wronged?

Yeah it's pretty ridiculous.

It's an important utility.. pretty much everyone is required to pay for it.

You are not a high skilled worker.. your job requires no education and only a small amount of training and experience.. and you are already paid on average well above the median family income in the city you work in?

Give me a break. But at the same time.. we probably shouldn't be paying as much for our garbage pickup if companies like WM can throw millions of dollars at their already highly paid employees.

Privatized utilities are a complete joke.

Bullshit how they are still sticking to their schedule of recycling every 2 weeks. Oh, we skipped last week because our employees are selfish assholes? Sorry customers, you're out of luck! Hope you get service during the next scheduled pickup!

Yeah, I hate the every other week recycling pick up. Our garbage and yard waste are typically good for two weeks, but recycling fills up immediately.

We've been throwing everything compostable into our yard waste for a while now.

Last week I went to take the garbage can to the curb.. and there wasn't even a bag in it.

2 week recycling is fine.. it's a much bigger bin.

dekjo

huh...i've been out of the country for a bit and my garbage situation seems to be fine. glad i didn't have to come home to a huge mountain of refuse by the dumpster. it usually gets like that anyway.

Welcome back. Where did you go?

Type2

So Im about to hit one year lived in Seattle, ive been busy with two jobs and school as well as some relocation pains from NYC but im finally ready to enjoy myself. I want to go camping somewhere the 3rd week of august can anyone help me out with some suggestions?

So Im about to hit one year lived in Seattle, ive been busy with two jobs and school as well as some relocation pains from NYC but im finally ready to enjoy myself. I want to go camping somewhere the 3rd week of august can anyone help me out with some suggestions?

Go to Summerland on the east side of Mt. Rainier National Park over by Yakima. Absolutely gorgeous.

blurrygil

It's official! My move to Redmond happens August 27th. Going to DigiPen for their new Engineering and Sound Design program. It seems I'll be one of very few in it. Maybe it'll prove useful as something that's rare. No clue how needed that kind of thing is in the industry, but that's what I want to do. I know 343 has hired at least one person from the school.

Congrats! I work in Redmond and you'll find it quite nice. It's pretty peaceful, minus rush hour, when all the industry folk are willing to run you off the road just to get to their 750k+ homes. And that's why I live in downtown Seattle, lol.

Very nice! Never been to Italy. I've done England and Ireland a bunch, Germany & France. But never the Mediterranean. I know I'm missing out, minus the economic crisis...

And never fear PAX-GAF!! I shall put together the meet-up info soon!!! :-D

buhdeh

Hey all, I'm coming to Seattle from Vancouver. I'll be staying at the Sheraton downtown but the parking rate is insane ($44 USD). What are my options?!

I looked at the Pacific Place Mall parking options and it says it's $15 overnight but $10 max for Saturday and Sunday. How is it calculated on weekends? I'd prefer a lot with in and out privileges but I'll consider anything.

Top Bottom