• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

Hey all, I'm coming to Seattle from Vancouver. I'll be staying at the Sheraton downtown but the parking rate is insane ($44 USD). What are my options?!

I looked at the Pacific Place Mall parking options and it says it's $15 overnight but $10 max for Saturday and Sunday. How is it calculated on weekends? I'd prefer a lot with in and out privileges but I'll consider anything.

Pacific Place closes the garage at some point each night, just a heads up.

Do you know what time? The site seems to say the garage closes at 2AM and opens at 5AM. I'd probably have my car in there way before 2AM if I do overnight parking there.

No clue. I don't go downtown very often, but if that's the case you're probably fine.

Need any recommendations for food, shopping, drinks, etc.?

It's official! My move to Redmond happens August 27th. Going to DigiPen for their new Engineering and Sound Design program. It seems I'll be one of very few in it. Maybe it'll prove useful as something that's rare. No clue how needed that kind of thing is in the industry, but that's what I want to do. I know 343 has hired at least one person from the school.

sweet i live in Redmond, its a OK place to live. i've seen a few bike trails here and there, never been on them since i dont ride a bike. Also sound IS important to games and films( at least i think so).

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
sweet i live in Redmond, its a OK place to live. i've seen a few bike trails here and there, never been on them since i dont ride a bike. Also sound IS important to games and films( at least i think so).

I also live in redmond and went to digipen! Now I am an MS drone.

digipen....shudder.

Hey all, I'm coming to Seattle from Vancouver. I'll be staying at the Sheraton downtown but the parking rate is insane ($44 USD). What are my options?!

I looked at the Pacific Place Mall parking options and it says it's $15 overnight but $10 max for Saturday and Sunday. How is it calculated on weekends? I'd prefer a lot with in and out privileges but I'll consider anything.

It's pretty much the cheapest garage in all of Seattle.

It's owned by the city, and is supported by the Mall too.

You don't have any "pass" options that I know of. So you'd be paying every time you leave. But unless you left many many times a day you'd still overall be cheaper than any other garage in Seattle.

The $10 overnight would be if the last time you parked your car was the day before. No matter how long it's parked, if you retrieve it before the next night... $10 to leave.

buhdeh

No clue. I don't go downtown very often, but if that's the case you're probably fine.

Need any recommendations for food, shopping, drinks, etc.?

It's pretty much the cheapest garage in all of Seattle.

It's owned by the city, and is supported by the Mall too.

You don't have any "pass" options that I know of. So you'd be paying every time you leave. But unless you left many many times a day you'd still overall be cheaper than any other garage in Seattle.

The $10 overnight would be if the last time you parked your car was the day before. No matter how long it's parked, if you retrieve it before the next night... $10 to leave.

Thanks guys.

I sort of have an idea of what I'll be checking out: downtown, mall, pike place area. I'd like to check out Capitol Hill but not really sure what's around there or where the "central" area of Capitol Hill is.

Is the Museum of Flight worth going to? And what restaurants (around 15-20/dish) should I look for? Preferably within a 10 minute drive of downtown and NOT sushi as we have tons of sushi restaurants in Vancouver. Pretty much open to suggestions for any interesting places or restaurants.

Thanks guys.

I sort of have an idea of what I'll be checking out: downtown, mall, pike place area. I'd like to check out Capitol Hill but not really sure what's around there or where the "central" area of Capitol Hill is.

The Pike/Pine corridor is the heart of Capitol Hill. Some stuff is on Broadway as well. I'd recommend going to Quinn's for dinner and a beer.

Cross the ship canal and walk around Fremont, Ballard and Wallingford.

jb1234

The Pike/Pine corridor is the heart of Capitol Hill. Some stuff is on Broadway as well. I'd recommend going to Quinn's for dinner and a beer.

Yup. Broadway in between John and Mercer is my hangout spot and there's a bunch of good restaurants and interesting shops along that corridor. If you're going to drive there, make sure you can parallel park really *really* well. ;)

jb1234

So hot, no AC... I'm toast!

People here get really cranky when temps climb above 90. It's like the Seattle Freeze becomes the Seattle Roast. I make sure to spend as much time in my apartment as possible. ;)

rando14

People here get really cranky when temps climb above 90. It's like the Seattle Freeze becomes the Seattle Roast. I make sure to spend as much time in my apartment as possible. ;)

Hah yeah I ended up dragging up my window AC from the garage and I just finished putting it in. I'll give it some time to cool the room down.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I have a nice portable AC on right now in my computer room, feelsgoodman.jpg

When I turned it on, it said it was 91 in the room, it's now down to 81.

zerotol

Banned
i went to that new target downtown and they didnt have any fans. sweating my ass off here.

When ya live in Washington it's always a good thing to remember to buy fans in the winter when they're dirt cheap and available everywhere. My fan has been on constantly for the last 2 weeks. so jelly of people with AC.

jb1234

i've only been here a year and a half, i guess i'm still learning. ;_;

In your defense, I don't think it's been this hot in the time you've been here. Last year's summer was relatively mild. Everyone else remembers with dread the summer of 09, when we had a week of above 90s temps that culminated in 104. I missed a good chunk of that because I was on vacation in Spokane (where amusingly, it was cooler). Unfortunately, I happened to get home on the 104 day. My apartment was in the 90s and I spent most of it in my bathtub, filled with cold water. Just awful.

zerotol

Banned
In your defense, I don't think it's been this hot in the time you've been here. Last year's summer was relatively mild. Everyone else remembers with dread the summer of 09, when we had a week of above 90s temps that culminated in 104.

Yeah, summer 2009 was awful.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
In your defense, I don't think it's been this hot in the time you've been here. Last year's summer was relatively mild. Everyone else remembers with dread the summer of 09, when we had a week of above 90s temps that culminated in 104. I missed a good chunk of that because I was on vacation in Spokane (where amusingly, it was cooler). Unfortunately, I happened to get home on the 104 day. My apartment was in the 90s and I spent most of it in my bathtub, filled with cold water. Just awful.

Holy shit... glad I was living in Japan on '09.

Oh wait... it was even worse there.

I love days like today, personally. It's cool in the shade but hot in areas with sunlight. Not that sauna-like mugginess you get elsewhere.

jb1234

I love days like today, personally. It's cool in the shade but hot in areas with sunlight. Not that sauna-like mugginess you get elsewhere.

Yeah, our heat waves tend to be low in humidity (but not always, as 2009 proved). I once spent a week in NYC during the summer and you never get quite used to that sticky heat.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes

Was in a third floor apartment in Bellevue and thought I was gonna die. Covered my nude frame in a soaked towel and lied awake for hours with the door propped with a tiny fan, trying to suck in the air conditioning the complex had in the hallway. Brutal.

Summer of 2009 I molded a frozen washcloth around our cat. We've got a brick house, so it's typically like an oven in our second floor bedroom.

Now that we've got a little one, we bought a mobile AC unit at Costco a few months ago. Works like a charm keeping our room and the nursery cool.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
My cousin just had the best time out in Seattle. He was flown out there by a guy that was just drafted by the Memphis Grizzlies. He used to play for the University of Washington and he had a party at some club called Citrus or something.

He showed me pictures that looked like a great place to visit. I will be going there soon

D23

so hows my seattle gaf enjoying the microwave temperature today??

me... i did not leave my A/C room at all

I live in the area, but I took a trip to Vancouver BC today. What a contrast. There are too many Canadian chavs for my liking. I miss grey Seattle.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Summer of 2009 I molded a frozen washcloth around our cat. We've got a brick house, so it's typically like an oven in our second floor bedroom.

Now that we've got a little one, we bought a mobile AC unit at Costco a few months ago. Works like a charm keeping our room and the nursery cool.
My house is a weird settle unicorn. Central AC. We never use it but boy howdy when we need to...

AC party at my place. Pants optional.

MjFrancis

The three days of the year the Pacific Northwest delves into the 90's aren't kind to me. Especially without A/C. I struggle to keep my home cool, and since it didn't top 82 degrees inside I consider that a victory.

The garage is much hotter, however, and training in that this afternoon was a test of will.

cdyhybrid

My cousin just had the best time out in Seattle. He was flown out there by a guy that was just drafted by the Memphis Grizzlies. He used to play for the University of Washington and he had a party at some club called Citrus or something.

He showed me pictures that looked like a great place to visit. I will be going there soon

Tony Wroten's party eh? Interesting. Citrus is kinda shady sometimes but I guess it's fine if you're renting out the whole place like they did.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Still waiting on my garbage pickup. In this 90 degree weather my curbside is smelling...ripe.

Our basement stays very cool, plus I can just walk to Greenlake in three minutes and jump in if it gets really bad.

My house is a weird settle unicorn. Central AC. We never use it but boy howdy when we need to...

AC party at my place. Pants optional.

My buddy down in Seward Park has central air. The people they bought from were elderly and had it installed. Always comes in handy for his yearly Seafair party... which was yesterday.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I keep checking the Seattle weather since I'll be there soon. 90s? Hot? LOL

I won't miss this subtropical climate though.

The Adder

Banned
so hows my seattle gaf enjoying the microwave temperature today??

me... i did not leave my A/C room at all

I laughed at Seattle's pathetic attempt to make it seems hot to me.

Northwest USA, please! I've spent the last 5 years in Jackson, Mississippi!

I laughed at Seattle's pathetic attempt to make it seems hot to me.

Northwest USA, please! I've spent the last 5 years in Jackson, Mississippi!

We're not used to it up here in the PNW seeing how we get one or two weeks max a year. 99% of the population doesn't have air conditioning like the rest of the country as it's not cost effective.

And if you like it that much, have fun going back down there.

brettreyu

Its 10 freakin PM. Why is it still hot? Freakin hell. There's no sun!

This man speaks the truth. Normally I have no complaints stepping outside past 10PM to a nice 45-60 degree chill. But this weather today is something else, makes me want to live up to the Northwest stereotype and invest in an AC unit that will see about 2 weeks of use every year, if that.

jb1234

I actually think it's nice outside right now... or maybe it's because I'm able to open my windows as it's hotter inside. ;)

Top Bottom