• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

riotous

Banned
I *cough* *cough* had to work from home today *sniffles*

Has nothing to do with the 2-3 hours a day I've been commuting this month since starting a project in Redmond and Obama being in town.

Hey Seattle-GAF I just moved to the area (Olympia actually) this past week and looking for cool stuff to do and see, good food etc. I haven't really done much yet. Basically apartment shopping. Went to Point Defiance the other day which was very cool. Also went to Portland for a day. Going to check out the farmers market today in Olympia as well Tumwater falls. I know there is a bunch of touristy stuff to still do which I can find on tripadvisor etc but any hidden gems or any just general recommendations?

lawnchair

Banned
Hey Seattle-GAF I just moved to the area (Olympia actually) this past week and looking for cool stuff to do and see, good food etc. I haven't really done much yet. Basically apartment shopping. Went to Point Defiance the other day which was very cool. Also went to Portland for a day. Going to check out the farmers market today in Olympia as well Tumwater falls. I know there is a bunch of touristy stuff to still do which I can find on tripadvisor etc but any hidden gems or any just general recommendations?

go buy a book like "60 hikes within 60 miles of seattle" and go be in nature

Mobius 1

Ok, I'm flying in on Wednesday night. Just looked at the weather forecast and it looks sunny and perfect until Sunday. This city is going to put up it's best effort to snare me in and then turn around with 9 months of gray sleet, isn't it? :)

jb1234

Ok, I'm flying in on Wednesday night. Just looked at the weather forecast and it looks sunny and perfect until Sunday. This city is going to put up it's best effort to snare me in and then turn around with 9 months of gray sleet, isn't it? :)

Nah. It'll probably be quite warm at least through August.

dLMN8R

In New York City for ~5 days and haven't been here for nearly 10 years.

It's cool, but I still love Seattle more. Guess I live in the right place for me!

spuckthew

Anyone used Uber to get from SeaTac to downtown Seattle (specifically the Renaissance)? Just wondering how accurate the $24-32 estimated fare sounds.

cdyhybrid

Anyone used Uber to get from SeaTac to downtown Seattle (specifically the Renaissance)? Just wondering how accurate the $24-32 estimated fare sounds.
Sounds about right (probably the higher end of that range) if you don't get stuck in traffic.

I'd strongly recommend taking the light rail from the airport into Seattle. It's like three bucks.

spuckthew

Cool thanks. Uber sounds nicer after a 9+ hour flight though :p

Last year when my girlfriend's mom picked us up the traffic was pretty good, and we're arriving at a similar time (1pm ish) tomorrow.

Light rail is so easy to get downtown from the airport. I can't imagine doing Uber instead.

Traffic is a crapshoot. Could be fine, could be a mess.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Light rail is so easy to get downtown from the airport. I can't imagine doing Uber instead.

Traffic is a crapshoot. Could be fine, could be a mess.

Honestly, going south from Wallingford on the 5, I have never had an issue. Always get a bit jammed from Ship Canal bridge to the 90 exit, but after that it's ALWAYS plain sailing, and carpool lane makes it even easier. Usually 20 minutes tops, including the downtown BS.

Uber AT Seatac is a bit weird (there's a meeting area next to the cab line), but still cheaper and comfier than those garbage Prius criminals (oh look, a privately owned Square reader on an iPhone because the screen doesn't work, what a surprise!).

And also I would have to take a cab to/from the light rail station, adding another twenty minutes of BS at either end. I would totally do it in an emergency (total gridlock for example) but otherwise, not much use for me.

Honestly, going south from Wallingford on the 5, I have never had an issue. Always get a bit jammed from Ship Canal bridge to the 90 exit, but after that it's ALWAYS plain sailing, and carpool lane makes it even easier. Usually 20 minutes tops, including the downtown BS.

Uber AT Seatac is a bit weird (there's a meeting area next to the cab line), but still cheaper and comfier than those garbage Prius criminals (oh look, a privately owned Square reader on an iPhone because the screen doesn't work, what a surprise!).

And also I would have to take a cab to/from the light rail station, adding another twenty minutes of BS at either end. I would totally do it in an emergency (total gridlock for example) but otherwise, not much use for me.

Light rail doesn't make sense for me, either. Not yet at least. We normally just park offsite near the airport.

But if I'm going downtown from the airport? I'd just take light rail and save some money. [shrug]

riotous

Banned
I always park on the expensive 4th floor of the main airport lot. Always spots open.

A fool and his money are soon departed, and can arrive at the airport closer to departure.

The light rail is pretty good. I have caught a bus in Kirkland, into downtown Seattle and then the rail to the airport a few times. The total cost is about $8 bucks each way! The only catch is having to leave early, it takes about 90-2 hours to get to the airport. But, on a 10 day trip though I save about $150 in airport parking fees (offsite lots)

The light rail is pretty good. I have caught a bus in Kirkland, into downtown Seattle and then the rail to the airport a few times. The total cost is about $8 bucks each way! The only catch is having to leave early, it takes about 90-2 hours to get to the airport. But, on a 10 day trip though I save about $150 in airport parking fees (offsite lots)

Yep, I used to live in downtown Kirkland so I'd take the 255 into Westlake, hop on light rail and voila. When I'm coming home, though, I usually like to take uber/lyft because I'm just so done with traveling at that point.

The new corral for rideshare vehicles at the airport is weird and confusing. I mean, it's nice to have a separate spot for it, but most of the time it's super crowded.

scitek

I'm crushed right now. I'd been in talks with a local company about a really exciting job opportunity and just found out they can't bring me on for at least a few more months (honestly, I think that's just this guy's nice way of cutting ties with me all together).

I really hate the job I moved here for, and it's destroying my health - I can't sleep, I drink a lot, I'm gaining weight ... I've honestly considered just quitting and working part-time jobs to make ends meet instead, but that would be beyond stupid. I don't know what to do. I've applied to practically every open job I find - some even paying half what I make now - and there's just no interest. And believe me, I know I'm lucky to even be employed, but the amount of stress I go through is not anything anyone should have to deal with.

scitek

What kind of work are you in and/or looking for?

I work in TV news. I realize every business is competitive, but with the added pressure of competing against the internet, combined with the fact that people in Seattle just don't watch local news anymore, it makes things very stressful.

The managers are trying to justify their jobs, so they micromanage and overanalyze everything, and then wonder why the turnover rate is so high after they treat their employees like kids who have no clue what they're doing. (I'm the third person in my position in 3 years, and I'm already trying to leave after 6 months).

The job I was excited about was as a video producer for a local VR company. You don't get the chance to work with something so new very often, so I was looking forward to it.

Phthisis

From Edmonds on Tuesday night:

CmFyFOZWgAERXV5.jpg

Wallace Falls State Park last weekend:

Cl_d1JkVEAAHQ5p.jpg

Cl_d1LgVEAEiMa5.jpg

Cl_d1UaUYAI70AT.jpg

dLMN8R

Anyone go to Lake Serene recently? Thinking of going tomorrow, but not sure how busy it is compared to most hikes closer to the city. Do you need to get there pretty early to avoid massive crowds?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Is this the Seattle OT? Or Un-OT? :)

I will be in Seattle from July 8th to 18th. I will be busy on the first weekend, the last week-end, and on most evenings (from like 7 to 9), but on most days and on all of Tuesday I'll be free.

Any advice? I'll be staying at someone's house in Beacon Hill. How is public transit? Any metro system? How bike-friendly is the city? Anything I must absolutely see, or absolutely need to know?

Thanks GAF :)

jb1234

Is this the Seattle OT? Or Un-OT? :)

I will be in Seattle from July 8th to 18th. I will be busy on the first weekend, the last week-end, and on most evenings (from like 7 to 9), but on most days and on all of Tuesday I'll be free.

Any advice? I'll be staying at someone's house in Beacon Hill. How is public transit? Any metro system? How bike-friendly is the city? Anything I must absolutely see, or absolutely need to know?

Thanks GAF :)

From Beacon Hill, you should be okay with our bus system as long as you're staying in the city. It's not great and it's slow but it gets the job done. We also have limited light rail (mainly of use getting from the airport to downtown but it can be used to get a little further north as well now).

If you're going to try to ride a bike, I'd stick with the central core and plan it out so that you're not going east, which is largely all uphill. The city is built on a series of steep hills.

Phthisis

Anyone go to Lake Serene recently? Thinking of going tomorrow, but not sure how busy it is compared to most hikes closer to the city. Do you need to get there pretty early to avoid massive crowds?

I would get there early-ish. The Stevens Pass trails are starting to get really crowded on weekends. Make sure you take the detour to see Bridal Veil Falls once you're on the trail.

Mobius 1

Spent the day bumming around. Did a couple of touristy things to get them out of the way, then dropped by Ballard and really liked what I saw. Going to see what's up with Queen Anne and Capitol Hill tomorrow. If you have strong opinions about good breakfast and lunch spots around those areas are, I'm all for it.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Going to see what's up with Queen Anne and Capitol Hill tomorrow. If you have strong opinions about good breakfast and lunch spots around those areas are, I'm all for it.

The 5 Spot on top of Queen Anne is a longtime city favorite for breakfast/brunch. The line will be out the door on a Saturday morning. There's a nice little bakery called Le Reve a few blocks further down Queen Anne Ave if you're after something smaller or easy to take on the go.

Trove on Capitol Hill has an awesome lunch spot (and ice cream parfaits). Lil Woody's has the city's best burgers + onion rings, and very good shakes, imo. Lots of good places for those things individually, but Woody's is a rare treat that manages to do delicious versions of three of my favorite things.

Worth saying that I would avoid Lost Lake Cafe, Rancho Bravo, and Oddfellows despite their local popularity. Mediocre to flat-out bad food at the first two (50% food poisoning chance at Rancho Bravo!), incredibly bad service at all three.

cdyhybrid

Joule tomorrow morning since apparently my building is getting sprayed tomorrow and I have to be out for a few hours.

Oh well, any excuse to eat there!

Le-mo

Gaf, I'm heading to the Enchanted Village (formerly known as Wild Waves) theme park tomorrow and I was wondering if the rides are included as part of the admission price. I can't seem to find any concrete answer to it.

bachikarn

Do any of you guys have Frontier FiOS? Is it better than Comcast? I generally dislike Comcast, and my contract is up so I'm thinking about switching. In my area, FiOS offers up to 100 Mbps for $85/month, while Comcast overs up to 250 Mbps for $80/month. Based on this, it seems like I should go with Comcast, but I'm not sure if there are other benefits of FiOS that may outweigh it. Perhaps FiOS is more stable? Or Comcast actually doesn't get anywhere near their advertised speed, while FiOS does? Data caps?

Trouble

Banned
Spent the day bumming around. Did a couple of touristy things to get them out of the way, then dropped by Ballard and really liked what I saw. Going to see what's up with Queen Anne and Capitol Hill tomorrow. If you have strong opinions about good breakfast and lunch spots around those areas are, I'm all for it.

Glo's in Capitol Hill has really good diner style breakfast. More sweet than savory focus on most of their specials in my experience (pancakes, etc).

Señor Moose (Mexican) in Ballard is quite possibly my favorite breakfast/brunch spot in the city.

Expect a pretty long line at either, though. :/

dLMN8R

lost lake really is garbage

It's not bad, I go there for early breakfasts and such pretty frequently. But at night yes they're pretty terrible.

By far the best breakfast in Capitol Hill is at Americana though. Just get there before 10AM unless you want to wait forever for a table. Get their french toast and die happy.

Trouble

Banned
I forgot about Americana. The keep changing the name of that place, it's been under the same management with 3 different names now. I used to go all the time was it was El Greco.

watershed

Banned
Which is the best internet provider in town? I just moved into a new apartment and need to get internet service set up. Any recommendations?

Top Bottom