• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

AcridMeat

Banned
How's Tacoma these days? Was talking to a friend of mine who moved from Seattle to buy a house there recently.

I know it's ~30 minutes from Seattle, would it be a pain in the ass to do that without a car?

How's Tacoma these days? Was talking to a friend of mine who moved from Seattle to buy a house there recently.

I know it's ~30 minutes from Seattle, would it be a pain in the ass to do that without a car?

I imagine there's going to be more and more people buying houses there as the housing market gets even more prohibitive in Seattle.

Depends on where in Seattle you're going. Short answer, yes. Long answer - there's buses that run to downtown Seattle and there's also the Amtrak, but I have no idea how expensive that is. It's about an hour to get you into downtown Seattle; if you're going elsewhere, it'll take even longer.

AcridMeat

Banned
I imagine there's going to be more and more people buying houses there as the housing market gets even more prohibitive in Seattle.

Depends on where in Seattle you're going. Short answer, yes. Long answer - there's buses that run to downtown Seattle and there's also the Amtrak, but I have no idea how expensive that is. It's about an hour to get you into downtown Seattle; if you're going elsewhere, it'll take even longer.
Thanks! If I were to move up there I'd still have a car, but was just curious of the public options.

Even with a car it's a pain in the ass. I have a friend who lives in Auburn, and works downtown. She has a car but doesn't want to sit in Seattle traffic so she drives to the bus n ride, takes a the bus to the train then hop on the train to get to work.

I was like fuck that's a lot of work but I guess it beats driving her car to Seattle and having to sit through that shit. So either way it's a pain in the ass. She and her husband have been looking for homes much closer because his commute is pretty awful too. Which sucks for them because they got that house in Auburn not too long ago.

Mobius 1

The housing is looking discouraging. I wasn't planning on buying (and I don't own real estate now), but where I'm located at the moment it's a choice. Seattle seems to be turning into SF.

Even the apartment rentals are up there. $2,000 and up for a 600-ish square feet place.

Trying hard to temper my expectations for this thing.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Even the apartment rentals are up there. $2,000 and up for a 600-ish square feet place.

We moved into a 600+ sq ft place in a really nice vintage building right on Capitol Hill a few weeks ago: $1200/mo. Nicer than most of the new buildings I've been in - has its quirks, but I'll take that over megalithic housing corporations and inhabitants as cold and unfriendly as the buildings themselves.

There are absolutely deals and/or fair rent to be found in the city proper, just gotta put in some leg work since these places aren't as easy to come across as signing with one of the many new high-rises.

jb1234

You don't want to commute to Seattle from Tacoma, no matter what option you pick.

Locked out of house scam

Anyone in the CD have an experience with this guy? He knocked on our door last night after 11pm. I was asleep but my boyfriend stupidly answered the door and gave him $14. I was pretty pissed when I found out this morning, although it sounds like aside from swindling folks he's not too dangerous (i.e. casing the place for later.)

Mobius 1

We moved into a 600+ sq ft place in a really nice vintage building right on Capitol Hill a few weeks ago: $1200/mo. Nicer than most of the new buildings I've been in - has its quirks, but I'll take that over megalithic housing corporations and inhabitants as cold and unfriendly as the buildings themselves.

There are absolutely deals and/or fair rent to be found in the city proper, just gotta put in some leg work since these places aren't as easy to come across as signing with one of the many new high-rises.

Good to hear. At the moment I have to rely on Internet search engines to find them, and most are populated by the new shiny ones. How did you find that place, just stumbled into it?

I imagine a relocation package and corporate housing would give me a couple of months to leg around and find a more permanent home.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Good to hear. At the moment I have to rely on Internet search engines to find them, and most are populated by the new shiny ones. How did you find that place, just stumbled into it?

I imagine a relocation package and corporate housing would give me a couple of months to leg around and find a more permanent home.

Yeah, just started looking around our previous apartment (which was fine until being bought by a giant company, and then surprise surprise, rent skyrocketed) and expanded block by block, calling posted numbers as we went.

We wanted to get out of Seattle actually, but it's really tough to job hunt out of state with the kinds of jobs my partner and I have. A relocation package sounds like a lovely dream! ;)

leroidys

Locked out of house scam

Anyone in the CD have an experience with this guy? He knocked on our door last night after 11pm. I was asleep but my boyfriend stupidly answered the door and gave him $14. I was pretty pissed when I found out this morning, although it sounds like aside from swindling folks he's not too dangerous (i.e. casing the place for later.)

Going through that reddit thread, people are saying that there are instances of burglaries following him showing up, and one person even claims to have got him having broken into their garage :/

The housing is looking discouraging. I wasn't planning on buying (and I don't own real estate now), but where I'm located at the moment it's a choice. Seattle seems to be turning into SF.

Yeah... depending on where you're looking, prices are going up 20%+ a year too.

Going through that reddit thread, people are saying that there are instances of burglaries following him showing up, and one person even claims to have got him having broken into their garage :/

I did see that after I posted. Ugh. Our street is fairly safe but I do know burglary/robbery is a problem in the CD. I'm still pissed he opened the door for someone that late at night. Was curious if anyone else here had dealt with this guy before.

Locked out of house scam

This guy goes all over the city. He's actually knocked on my door in Greenlake.

Edit: he also knocked on my neighbor's door claiming to be my my (and wife's) roommate. They knew better.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Just wanted to pop in and say thanks to everyone who helped out with my questions while I was looking for a place to move to.

I ended up getting a place in Ballard. Move-in date is on the 30th. I want to say I'm excited, but I don't think it's completely sunk in yet. Ah well, thanks again to everyone for helping out!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Just wanted to pop in and say thanks to everyone who helped out with my questions while I was looking for a place to move to.

I ended up getting a place in Ballard. Move-in date is on the 30th. I want to say I'm excited, but I don't think it's completely sunk in yet. Ah well, thanks again to everyone for helping out!

Nice. Ballard is rad.

leroidys

Welcome! We should have another gaf meet up sometime.

I really should have researched it more before going, but NEVER go to the planetarium at the Pacific Science Center.

What a joke.

Tiny circular room with nothing more than a cheapo projector aimed at the ceiling with really poor resolution. The presentation was called "The Sky Tonight" and barely anything current or interesting was touched on.

I should have requested a refund but there's only so much time in the day. Bleh.

riotous

Banned
Pacific Science Center has really gone to shit; I took my young niece there a year ago and while she had fun, I was disappointed. It's literally the exact same set of exhibits that I saw 25 years ago as a kid.

I really should have researched it more before going, but NEVER go to the planetarium at the Pacific Science Center.

What a joke.

Tiny circular room with nothing more than a cheapo projector aimed at the ceiling with really poor resolution. The presentation was called "The Sky Tonight" and barely anything current or interesting was touched on.

I should have requested a refund but there's only so much time in the day. Bleh.

You're alive. Suh' dude.

cdyhybrid

‘Manhattanization' of downtown Seattle already started

Jones’ company produced a video of what the northeast corner of downtown Seattle is supposed to look like by 2020, showing 26 high-rise buildings in the area. The buildings are either currently being built or will soon break ground.

Most of the buildings will be high-priced apartments or condos, which will make the northeast corner of downtown a high-density area. Many of those buildings will be about 40 stories high.

Developers and Developers and real estate agents are trying to rebrand this area the East Village. They’re going for a New York City-like vibe.

“We have a lot of demand to be live, work, and play in downtown Seattle, so we are following in the steps of other pricier West Coast cities markets such as Vancouver, B.C. or San Francisco,” said Jones.

*pukes*

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Don't most of you dudes hate downtown already? The city going bigger and bigger shouldn't surprise anyone; it's not some quirky outlier in the list of major cities, Seattle is pretty clearly the next SF and all these rich folks want 'rich people' places to live, shop, and socialize.

In light of the boom, though, the city's infrastructure and traffic situation will never not be hilarious/horrifying to watch. I'm sure everyone involved wishes they'd seen it coming and could just hit pause before going all SimCity on this mess now.

cdyhybrid

Don't most of you dudes hate downtown already? The city going bigger and bigger shouldn't surprise anyone; it's not some quirky outlier in the list of major cities, Seattle is pretty clearly the next SF and all these rich folks want 'rich people' places to live, shop, and socialize.

In light of the boom, though, the city's infrastructure and traffic situation will never not be hilarious/horrifying to watch. I'm sure everyone involved wishes they'd seen it coming and could just hit pause before going all SimCity on this mess now.

Buncha NIMBYs in here.
I don't care about them building boatloads of expensive condos downtown, that ship sailed long ago. The whole "let's turn Seattle into NYC/Vancouver/SF" thing is gross though. If you want to live in a NYC district, go live in NYC, :lol

Buncha NIMBYs in here.

I'm fine with density as long it's done right. My experience is more in the neighborhoods where developers are putting in new condo buildings near future light rail, as they should. However, they're playing dumb when it comes to parking. People are gonna bring cars and make the situation worse than it already is. Offering $15 off monthly rent if you don't bring a car isn't incentive for anyone.

It also makes me sad that Seattle is pushing out low income people. As a native growing up here, Seattle was always welcoming to everyone, not just the upper class. That sucks.

Mortemis

Banned
Higher density sounds good if there's a lot of choice for those who don't make over six figures. This increase is just more for the rich, and pushes the lower income peeps farther and farther from the city.

dubc35

Higher density sounds good if there's a lot of choice for those who don't make over six figures. This increase is just more for the rich, and pushes the lower income peeps farther and farther from the city.
Yep, the San Francisco and Vancouver model, basically what the developers said they wanted to do.

I rarely go downtown; get it as dense as possible IMO but there needs to be lower income housing in the area. I thought the city imposed a mandatory low income housing percentage for developers? (On mobile otherwise I would look it up).

Top Bottom