• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

brettreyu

I am so jealous of you right now. Got two fans running and I still can't get comfortable :(

My wife went against my recommendation and went maverick by opening all the windows (north and south) at 5PM. At that point, fans were just pulling in air that was as hot as the air inside. This weather is frying our brains.

My wife went against my recommendation and went maverick by opening all the windows (north and south) at 5PM. At that point, fans were just puling in air that was as hot as the air inside. This weather is frying our brains.
I cracked mine open just before that just to get some fresh air in. I hated Nebraska heat, but I sure as hell miss the AC units in every house.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
The best is having a fan in the window at night time sucking in that cool air. Makes my bedroom feel like an ice box. But during the day, it's an oven in here.

Muskweeto

Never realized how active this thread was.

I'm currently baking to death in my house, but I can feel the air starting to cool off outside.

Hello fellow Seattle-GAF!

soco

there's finally a breeze coming in.

i'm on the top floor and have only had 2 fans going, but it's been decent all day.

buhdeh

Thank god for hotel AC. It was crazy hot and humid. A bit cooler and less humid in Vancouver but it's still a relief to be home lol.

Anyways, thanks for recommending Quinn's, guys. We had the mussels, salted cod fritters, and the wild boar sloppy joes and they were all great! Really enjoyed it although the place did feel a lot more hipster than anywhere I've been, haha. Also tried the turkey bacon avocado sandwiches at Sitka and Spruce (?) and loved it as well.

We went to Trinity night club afterwards too. A friend told us it was the most popular club in Seattle. Wasn't bad, had a decent time there.

The museum of flight wasn't really that great. I thought the air park would be more interesting but every plane interior is just a straight line through the aisle with everything else sealed off.

We went to Trinity night club afterwards too. A friend told us it was the most popular club in Seattle. Wasn't bad, had a decent time there.

That is some seriously funny shit. Trinity is awesome if you live in the suburbs.

Glad you liked Quinn's, though.

The Adder

Banned
We're not used to it up here in the PNW seeing how we get one or two weeks max a year. 99% of the population doesn't have air conditioning like the rest of the country as it's not cost effective.

And if you like it that much, have fun going back down there.

I like cold weather, I was, after all, born here (didn't live here long, mind, but was born here). However, I am, at this point, acclimated to higher temperatures at greater humidity and scoff at what heat Seattle's weather can throw at me.

So today was a good day.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
We have a small air conditioner that the last tenants left in our house that can cool one room. Yesterday we camped in that room, never left it. I hooked up netflix and hulu to the TV and cooked ceviche in the room.

was kind of fun actually.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Starting to plan more around my visit for PAX. Any suggestions on the best places to eat near the convention center area? Staying in the Westin.

Last time we went to the fish market and ate a bunch. I love seafood, want to find a great sushi place, but also any other places that are must-eats.

Any attractions we should visit? Did the Space Needle last time, but we have 3 extra days this trip.

Hilbert

Starting to plan more around my visit for PAX. Any suggestions on the best places to eat near the convention center area? Staying in the Westin.

Last time we went to the fish market and ate a bunch. I love seafood, want to find a great sushi place, but also any other places that are must-eats.

Any attractions we should visit? Did the Space Needle last time, but we have 3 extra days this trip.

Where are you coming from? If the weather is nice I would try some hiking, get on a trail on a weekday you will have it mostly to yourself.

If you are decently fit I would suggest Mt Si or Little Si. If you want something easier I would recommend cougar or tiger mt.

Sushi downtown? Omakase at Shiro's is worth your time, even if it's "not as good as it used to be."

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Where are you coming from? If the weather is nice I would try some hiking, get on a trail on a weekday you will have it mostly to yourself.

If you are decently fit I would suggest Mt Si or Little Si. If you want something easier I would recommend cougar or tiger mt.

Coming from Iowa, so seafood is not as good here thus why I want so much. :p

Hiking would be cool, although I assume we'd have to cab it out to the trail?

Sushi downtown? Omakase at Shiro's is worth your time, even if it's "not as good as it used to be."

I'll note this one down!

Haven't been there in years (as in, more than 6), but I remember liking it a lot.

I need to get back to sea and get some good rolls. The local place had dry sushi rice. DRY damnit.

If you've seen Jiro Dreams of Sushi, the young apprentice who was forced to do tamagoyaki over and over and over now works at Shiro's. Shiro also trained under Jiro years ago in Tokyo before moving to Seattle.

Portland-GAF checking in here. It was unpleasant Saturday, what with the 100 degree weather. Maintained by staying in my apt, everything closed, traveling to the mall and enjoying one too many Pisco Sours.

Sunday was fine, dropped enough degrees to crack open the windows. It wouldnt be so bad if we had a breeze, but what are you gonna do :)

Hilbert

Coming from Iowa, so seafood is not as good here thus why I want so much. :p

Hiking would be cool, although I assume we'd have to cab it out to the trail?

I'll note this one down!

Ha, sorry for some reason I assumed you would have a car. Also now you need passes to park at some of these trails. Probably not feasible for you. Please disregard!

dLMN8R

Bah, A/C is for weaksauce :p

I'll probably hang out in the shade in Cal Anderson Park mere steps away from Molly Moon's and Yogurtland all weekend...

Took a tour of Starbucks Central today, pretty cool place. My cousin works there in global HR, showed me around several floors; seems like a nice place to work actually. Had lunch at Pecos across the street. Pulled pork on a baked russet potato...so good gif.

MjFrancis

I'm already freezing giant blocks of ice in anticipation of the inferno. Folk up here wither away at 90 like it was 120, myself included. Especially without AC.

zerotol

Banned
Thursday and Friday are gonna suck. Not looking forward to it. At least the lows seem ok so the nights will be tolerable.

cdyhybrid

I don't hate Starbucks, I highly prefer other local coffee shops over them. I do hate Howard Schultz though.

re: weather: it's going to be hot, it happens a couple times a year, nothing to see, please keep moving

Anything bad for Starbucks is bad for Schultz, so fuck Starbucks.

I look forward to the heat.

Hey Seattle-Gaf, i'm flying in for university in september, but i need a place to stay for like 10 days in seattle before i check in my dorm. Could anyone recommend any cheap hotel/motels for a student? Would really appreciate the input

zerotol

Banned
Hey Seattle-Gaf, i'm flying in for university in september, but i need a place to stay for like 10 days in seattle before i check in my dorm. Could anyone recommend any cheap hotel/motels for a student? Would really appreciate the input

Avoid the Kings Inn no matter what. Haha!

Dany

Banned
I am speaking fairly long term but I am curious to know if someone here can help. How are the biological graduate schools in Seattle or medical schools?

gryz

Banned
I am speaking fairly long term but I am curious to know if someone here can help. How are the biological graduate schools in Seattle or medical schools?

my fiancee is getting her phd in medchem at u dub, its a good school

dubc35

Yep, then Jamie Moyer will throw one just because. Well, maybe not. If he did Brett Boone might roid rage all over Safeco.

Dany

Banned
UW's med school is fantastic. Pretty tough to get into from friends of mine who applied back in the day.

UW has a very good med school. A couple of my brother's friends from med school work for UW hospitals now.

http://www.uwmedicine.org/global/news/documents/usnews-som-fact-sheet.pdf

my fiancee is getting her phd in medchem at u dub, its a good school

Oh, cool to know. I'm just getting my feet wet. Taking the mcat in a year.

Top Bottom