• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

blurrygil

Heaven Sent is actually a separate chain owned by Ezell, the original founder of Ezell's Friend Chicken. It's the exact same recipe, they just have to call it something else due to a legal settlement.

Oh yeah, I'm well aware of it. It's nearly taken over some of the more neighborhood-level news. A real shame. :-/

So I let my daughter pick out what she wanted to do for a 5th birthday party with friends, and she picked riding the bus to the International District for bubble tea and a scavenger hunt at Uwajimaya. It's nice to have kids that appreciate the city, even if we are lame Eastsiders. It actually worked really well for a kids party, Oasis even blocked off a section for us and put up some balloons for free.

So I let my daughter pick out what she wanted to do for a 5th birthday party with friends, and she picked riding the bus to the International District for bubble tea and a scavenger hunt at Uwajimaya. It's nice to have kids that appreciate the city, even if we are lame Eastsiders. It actually worked really well for a kids party, Oasis even blocked off a section for us and put up some balloons for free.

I bet the kids went nuts. After a sugary drink from Oasis I'm bouncing off the walls.

I bet the kids went nuts. After a sugary drink from Oasis I'm bouncing off the walls.

Yeah, those drinks are roughly the size of your average five year old, I don't think that any of them actually drank more than half of one. But don't worry, we added in some greasy popcorn chicken and sweet potato fries to make sure that it was a healthy outing :).

Yeah, those drinks are roughly the size of your average five year old, I don't think that any of them actually drank more than half of one. But don't worry, we added in some greasy popcorn chicken and sweet potato fries to make sure that it was a healthy outing :).

Should thrown in some Beard Papa and they'd all have heart attacks. ;-)

dubc35

Jerramy Stevens strikes again....and is engaged to Hope Solo? wtf?

Kirkland police have arrested former UW Huskies star Jerramy Stevens on investigation of fourth-degree domestic violence assault for an attack on his fiancee — two-time Olympic gold medal soccer player Hope Solo.
http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today...d-in-altercation-involving-fiancee-hope-solo/

E* TMZ says he's been released
1:52 PM PT -- Stevens is now off the hook ... because the judge decided there was not enough evidence to charge him with a crime. He has since been released from custody.
http://www.tmz.com/2012/11/13/hope-...im-in-domestic-violence-report/#ixzz2C98XZar8

gwarm01

I'm hoping to move to Seattle when I graduate this spring. What are some good neighborhoods for a late-20's professional couple to live? I like good food, good beer, fast internet, and trees I suppose.

I guess I need a job too. What are some local hospitals?

jb1234

I'm hoping to move to Seattle when I graduate this spring. What are some good neighborhoods for a late-20's professional couple to live? I like good food, good beer, fast internet, and trees I suppose.

I guess I need a job too. What are some local hospitals?

Virginia Mason, Swedish, Harborview, University of Washington, to name a few in the Seattle area. There's a few in the Eastside too.

Where you want to live depends on your income and whether you'd prefer to be in an apartment or a house. Unless you have a lot of money, the former is what you'll get in central Seattle but if you don't mind going a few miles north (like Greenlake), you get more of a suburban feel and can rent houses.

West Seattle is also an option but the commute is a bitch.

gwarm01

Virginia Mason, Swedish, Harborview, University of Washington, to name a few in the Seattle area. There's a few in the Eastside too.

Where you want to live depends on your income and whether you'd prefer to be in an apartment or a house. Unless you have a lot of money, the former is what you'll get in central Seattle but if you don't mind going a few miles north (like Greenlake), you get more of a suburban feel and can rent houses.

West Seattle is also an option but the commute is a bitch.

What would a 3-4 bedroom house cost in the area? 20-30 minute commute tops. I'm sure it's a hell of a lot more expensive than Little Rock but I'd like to get an idea.

Nothing lame about living on Eastside, don't listen to the haters!

jb1234

What would a 3-4 bedroom house cost in the area? 20-30 minute commute tops. I'm sure it's a hell of a lot more expensive than Little Rock but I'd like to get an idea.

I'm not entirely sure, honestly, as I live in the central area. If I were to guess, at least $1600 a month. Someone else in this thread might have a better idea.

(That's renting, of course. House prices are very expensive in Seattle.)

I've got 3 bed, 3 bath house in Greenlake. 1,800 square feet with a little garage and a fully renovated basement. Paid $445k in 2007 and it was last appraised at $500k.

Crap. Didn't see you we're asking about rent.

jb1234

I've got 3 bed, 3 bath house in Greenlake. 1,800 square feet with a little garage and a fully renovated basement. Paid $445k in 2007 and it was last appraised at $500k.

It can't hurt for him to have all the info. What's it like living in Greenlake? I've been in Capitol Hill for a long time and am kinda getting sick of the bustle.

$200

Banned
How is the traffic and parking in Seattle? Do you need to be able to do parallel and reverse parking?

I'm not entirely sure, honestly, as I live in the central area. If I were to guess, at least $1600 a month. Someone else in this thread might have a better idea.

(That's renting, of course. House prices are very expensive in Seattle.)

Do you know the price range of renting a one or two bedroom apartment?

It can't hurt for him to have all the info. What's it like living in Greenlake? I've been in Capitol Hill for a long time and am kinda getting sick of the bustle.

It's great. Very walkable (short walks to Wallingford, u-District, Tangletown, Fremont, etc.) and we've got Cowen Park and the lake right by us. We've got lots of family friendly places around us, but also have great nightlife options as well.

Before we bought our house, we lived on Queen Anne Hill and Ballard. Both were great, but we love the Greenlake/Ravenna/Roosevelt area.

How is the traffic and parking in Seattle? Do you need to be able to do parallel and reverse parking?

YES.

gwarm01

I actually was asking about buying. It would be a few years down the line but it never hurts to have some information.

$445k sounds painful to me considering my 1300 square foot house was only $110, but what can you do.

jb1234

Do you know the price range of renting a one or two bedroom apartment?

First question? Depends on much you want to drive around looking for parking. I can't parallel park worth for shit so I just look around until I find a space big enough. It can take time. I also live in a complex with a parking garage. That was a requirement. ;)

Renting an apartment depends on the location. For central Seattle, it's at least $1200 for a one-bedroom. In certain locations like South Lake Union, it's even more because of the proximity to Amazon.

You can find cheaper rents if you go south (neighborhoods can be dodgy) or north.

It's great. Very walkable (short walks to Wallingford, u-District, Tangletown, Fremont, etc.) and we've got Cowen Park and the lake right by us. We've got lots of family friendly places around us, but also have great nightlife options as well.

Before we bought our house, we lived on Queen Anne Hill and Ballard. Both were great, but we love the Greenlake/Ravenna/Roosevelt area.

Man, that sounds nice. Rents are just skyrocketing out of control in Cap Hill and the main reason I moved here thirteen years ago was to be within walking distance to college. That not being a consideration, I'm running out of reasons to stay.

I actually was asking about buying. It would be a few years down the line but it never hurts to have some information.

$445k sounds painful to me considering my 1300 square foot house was only $110, but what can you do.

Yeah, it's very expensive to buy a house in Seattle, unfortunately and it gets worse the closer to downtown you want to be.

THIS.

It's been years (since the old Philly Steak Out in Westlake) I've been able to find a PROPER cheesesteak in this town. Fevre comes about as close as PSO ever did.

Haven't been there, and do not claim to be a cheesecake authority, but Tat's in Pioneer Square has always treated me right. Go often before sounders matches. Might on Sunday. Stupid Galaxy.

EDIT: Didn't notice new page, now I look behind the times :(

ido

I just have to share my time in Seattle here.

I'm from Mississippi. My wife and I recently took a trip to Seattle and the Olympic rain forest.

Thoughts on Seattle and why we fucking love the city:

-The bums were extremely nice and helpful.
-Public transportation, once we got the hang of it, is easy as fuck and I love it.
-The Pike's market place was fucking awesome, and we loved that Piroshky Piroshky place so hard.
-Game works? I think it was called... They had a MOTHERFUCKING MARVEL VS. CAPCOM 2 cabinet. I owned a few people, and relived a wonderful arcade experience.
-No sales tax on food? I was not aware of this until we visited Target.
-I know it's touristy, but we took the Duck tour, and I loved the part on the water.
-Space Needle was cool, but I probably wouldn't do it again. Still cool.
-We ate at a restaurant called Tap House when it was too late to eat anywhere else... I enjoyed it. Dunno how lame this place is to you locals.
-Cabs are fucking retarded expensive. I'm from MS, and the last time I had to take a cab was when I visited Vegas, so I obviously didn't remember.
-The Sheraton hotel was really nice, and in the middle of everything.
-My wife wanted to go check out the park near Kurt Cobain's old house, so we took a bus there and had a really nice walk around that rich ass neighborhood. She really loved that shit.

There was so many more reasons why we loved the city, though. You locals are lucky.

A few random trip pics(we take shitty fucking pictures):
Duck tour
cZlfh.jpg

monorail yeeeeah
Egjml.jpg

Space needle
nYQkJ.jpg

Anyway, we loved it. Sorry to bombard with random pictures. I actually had quite a few uploaded but they were fucking huge, so that will have to wait until I can resize them bitches.

jb1234

Cute couple! Glad you enjoyed Seattle. :)

next seattle gaf meet should start with one of those duck tours.

Oddly, I've never been on the duck tour. As a native, I've skipped most of the touristy stuff (except the Space Needle, which I've had to go up a few times).

Latona Pub has great food, and it's not like you aren't allowed to venture to other neighborhoods.

Fuck, I was trying to remember the name of that place when I was out drinking the other night, and I said "I'll randomly remember it soon and text you" but I can't remember who I was talking to when this happened.

I just have to share my time in Seattle here.

I'm from Mississippi. My wife and I recently took a trip to Seattle and the Olympic rain forest.

-No sales tax on food? I was not aware of this until we visited Target.
I believe there's no sales tax on produce, but don't quote me on that. For some reason, Target has managed to get around tax on any food items, though, even the pre-packaged kind. Not sure how that works.

I must imagine Seattle is starkly different from Mississippi in general, going off of what I hear, at least.

I believe there's no sales tax on produce, but don't quote me on that. For some reason, Target has managed to get around tax on any food items, though, even the pre-packaged kind. Not sure how that works.
At least in king county/WA (seattle proper might be different), any food not prepared or otherwise served to you is tax free.

Basically no tax on necessities, just tax on luxuries.

If you're from Seattle (or just Washington in general), even if you're a smoker, what are your feelings on the potential marijuana tourism? How do you think it will affect more family oriented side of the city? Do you guys plan to see a spike/decrease in crime? What is the general mood since legalization passing?

I don't really think we'll see much. 502 doesn't allow for pot cafes, so tourists will have to find a private place to smoke up.

I also don't think we'll see an uptick in pot related crime. Definitely not even close to alcohol related crime.

There's also the minor issue of the Feds getting mad and coming to crack down whenever they feel like it. Obama's administration has been more hostile to marijuana than Bush's was in the past 4 years.

ido

I -really- have to go back to Seattle one day.

I'd even consider moving there, but a one-bedroom apartment would cost me as much as my brand new 2,000 square foot house on a rather large lot. With children, it just would never be possible unless I could make amazing money.

I think it's more possible to consider retiring in WA and living near one of the ports instead of moving there.

tl;dr: you lucky motherfuckers.

blurrygil

That's brilliant!

Jerramy Stevens strikes again....and is engaged to Hope Solo? wtf?

Yeah saw this. He's bloody scum. Unbelievable she even started dating him. She's smarter than that.

i pay $350 a month but i live in a fight club style flophouse.

lol everyone should believe this.

Haven't been there, and do not claim to be a cheesecake authority, but Tat's in Pioneer Square has always treated me right. Go often before sounders matches. Might on Sunday. Stupid Galaxy.

EDIT: Didn't notice new page, now I look behind the times :(

Yeah sucks. They are very good, but not properly "Philly" if I were to say. I've had legit ones too. I dunno, perhaps I have different standards.

Greenlake has the worst food of all neighborhoods in Seattle. Don't live there.

YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH!!!

Wingdome, son!!! WINGDOME!!!!

next seattle gaf meet should start with one of those duck tours.

God, no. But what if we all got wasted? Hmmmmmm...

Now the Seattle Underground Tour, that was the shit.

Now we need to make THIS happen, lads!

blurrygil

SEATTLE-GAF'ers ASSEMBLE!!!!

Next meetup place has been decided. We MUST all hit up John John's Gameroom.

John John's Gameroom Offcial Website

John John's Gameroom on Facebook

8RrKqobYvr4ECQ0Okef6xnmoNNg-large.jpg

If you've ever been to Add-a-Ball in Fremont, you'll know what to expect.

Has anyone else been? If this place is a bust for people, we can always trek up to the Narwhal Room @ the Unicorn.

I miss you peopole. I had a minimal appearance at PAX this year. Let's go mental on the Hill before the end of the year!!! How can you not want to hit a classic arcade with a wandering, adorable black kitty?!?

Yeah sucks. They are very good, but not properly "Philly" if I were to say. I've had legit ones too. I dunno, perhaps I have different standards.

Yeah, like I said, I'm not an authority. I was only in Philly for 1 day once when I was about 9. I do love me some Tat's though. I will check out this other place when I can.

That's in Phinney or Greenwood though right? Both of those neighborhoods have much better food than Greenlake. I've also heard good things about the Burgundian in Tangletown though, but I haven't been yet.

SEATTLE-GAF'ers ASSEMBLE!!!!

Next meetup place has been decided. We MUST all hit up John John's Gameroom. How can you not want to hit a classic arcade with a wandering, adorable black kitty?!?

I'd go

That's in Phinney or Greenwood though right? Both of those neighborhoods have much better food than Greenlake. I've also heard good things about the Burgundian in Tangletown though, but I haven't been yet.

Burgundian is good, can't go wrong with their chicken and waffles. I like the vibe in there way more than Brouwers.

We hope to buy a house in Tangletown in a few years. Love that little neighborhood.

pax217

Well damn :(

Better get started on improving my crappy driving skills before I go there...

Don't bother, no one else here has. Terrible drivers.

Isn't there a Wingdome in Kent? I believe that negates any positive attributes of any other Wingdome.

-We ate at a restaurant called Tap House when it was too late to eat anywhere else... I enjoyed it. Dunno how lame this place is to you locals.

We've got one in Bellevue, I'll go for cheap lunch-- I have no complaints. Most people won't like it though because there's more than one. Same reason why people make the argument that Metropolitan Grill is substantially better than Daniel's Broiler or El Gaucho only because they have multiple locations.

Top Bottom