• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

jb1234

I've never done Black Friday. For one, I'm poor. Two, crowds drive me nuts. My family is keeping it simple this year and we're drawing names. We'll only have to spend $20 for the holidays, which is wonderful.

I'll be downtown tomorrow. Looking primarily for clothes. Not planning on getting up super early or being first in line or anything, but I'll be there.

I've never done Black Friday. For one, I'm poor. Two, crowds drive me nuts. My family is keeping it simple this year and we're drawing names. We'll only have to spend $20 for the holidays, which is wonderful.
I do this with my extended family and it's awesome. A really fun activity that takes away the majority of the stress that can come with buying gifts.

Izayoi

Banned
If you're from Seattle (or just Washington in general), even if you're a smoker, what are your feelings on the potential marijuana tourism? How do you think it will affect more family oriented side of the city? Do you guys plan to see a spike/decrease in crime? What is the general mood since legalization passing?
I doubt it will cause any problems. We'll likely see an uptick in people getting charged for smoke damage in their hotel rooms, but other than that, it's likely that we won't see too much change.

dLMN8R

As a resident for over four years now, I don't think much will change in the way of tourism. Going to Capitol Hill, you'll always see/smell someone smoking pot, Pike Place has always been a bit dirty and grungy, and I've never really been under the impression that it was a great family vacation visit.

We limit ourselves to stopping in at Trader Joe's to once a month, or we end up buying too much stuff we really don't need.

Ah, Trader Joe's and Half Price Books a block apart from each other = impulse shopping extravaganza.

jb1234

Park at the Safeway and walk!

I'll probably get a ticket one of these days...

Is this the U-district location? I refuse to go to that one. The Capitol Hill TJ is bad enough. I swear that I haven't gone to a TJ's with adequate parking yet.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Is this the U-district location? I refuse to go to that one. The Capitol Hill TJ is bad enough. I swear that I haven't gone to a TJ's with adequate parking yet.

I assumed distantmantra was talking about the U-district location since he mentioned its proximity from the Half-Price Books.

There's one in Lynnwood that shares a massive parking lot with Half-Price Books, Albertson's and some other stores, I think.

Yep, it is. The one on Roosevelt. We walk to it after the farmers market on Saturday mornings, so it's not bad.

Are these reasons shrouded in mysticism or under scrutiny for whether they qualify as art? What is their secret?

They're owned by the same people as Aldi, and often make crazy deals with companies to make stuff for them.

I'm really curious whose soul they sold to be able to sell cheese as cheap as they do.

jb1234

I assumed distantmantra was talking about the U-district location since he mentioned its proximity from the Half-Price Books.

There's one in Lynnwood that shares a massive parking lot with Half-Price Books, Albertson's and some other stores, I think.

Yeah, but then you have to go to Lynnwood. :p The one in Bellevue is okay, as is the one in Issaquah, which I sometimes visit when en route to see family.

Hah, totally forgot there's a Half Price books next to both the Lynwood and U-District TJ's.

Although I think my comment was obvious considering anyone who has driving past 45th on Roosevelt has probably experienced the backups that can occur at TJ's with people pulling in and out.

The stores are too busy for my tastes. But they are a great place to grab "the basics" for cheap.

jb1234

The stores are too busy for my tastes. But they are a great place to grab "the basics" for cheap.

I find them especially useful for grabbing no-sugar added products. I do all my own cooking so the frozen section isn't very useful but I've heard the food is high quality.

TJ's is awesome! The parking sucks at all of them. WA, CA, all of them. It's just part of the deal.

I used to live a couple blocks from the one on Queen Anne Hill. I was lucky enough to walk there, but it has the worst parking lot of all time. No question.

The parking at the Federal Way store isn't a problem at all.

But... you're in Federal Way.

Hah. Funny you're all talking about Lynnwood's TJ. Just walked outta there with some awesome bean burritos and the greek spinach, kale, and yogurt dip.

dubc35

I used to live a couple blocks from the one on Queen Anne Hill. I was lucky enough to walk there, but it has the worst parking lot of all time. No question.

The Redondo Beach, CA one is the only one I've been to that the parking isn't jacked up. The rest I've been to in WA & CA are terrible. e* Actually nvm, the Ballard one isn't too bad.

jb1234

Try the one at Capitol Hill. It's dreadful. The lot is in the building, above the store and there are all sorts of tight turns, people going in and out, and very limited space. They actually have a guy directing traffic at the entrance.

Try the one at Capitol Hill. It's dreadful. The lot is in the building, above the store and there are all sorts of tight turns, people going in and out, and very limited space. They actually have a guy directing traffic at the entrance.

That sounds exactly like the U District parking lot. Walking for the win.

The parking lot at the Ballard Trader Joe's isn't so bad. Granted, I've never really been there during peak hours, but every time I've been there, there have been plenty of spots (it's a large parking garage).

coldvein

Banned
damn, i live within walking distance of one of these and never knew it. lolz. i hate that this thread is making me want to go to a grocery store.

dLMN8R

I just walk the half hour from my apartment to the capitol hill TJ.

LOVE IT. like a whole foods but with prices lower than QFC. Especially their wine - so good, so cheap.

There's definitely advantages to living in central Seattle. ;)

North Seattle is walkable, too. Just depends on where you live. From Greenlake, it's a mile to Wallingford and a mile to the heart of the U District. I love parking my car on Friday after work and pretty much walking everywhere all weekend.

That's one of my running courses. But yeah, with a stroller it's a pain in the butt. We do walk down Stone Way a lot to Fremont Brewing on nice days.

Yeah that's a great way to get around the hill. I guess it's more that Ballard is quite a bit more difficult to get too because of the hill.

Great workout though.

Funny there's a trader joes talk. I was just eating their godly flaxseed tortilla chips.

Sooooooooo good.

The Redondo Beach, CA one is the only one I've been to that the parking isn't jacked up. The rest I've been to in WA & CA are terrible. e* Actually nvm, the Ballard one isn't too bad.

Yeah, the Ballard one has pretty good parking. Also conveniently located in Ballard, which is like the best place.

Top Bottom