• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

jb1234

Thanks for the welcome guys, I'm pumped for the next gaf-meetup and maybe getting a chance to go to PAX this year.

I'm already slowly starting to look at where in the city we would like to live, and the area around greenlake seems nice.

What are thoughts about Fremont and Wallingford?

I don't spend much time in either but from what I hear, both areas are pretty trendy. I think rent gets cheaper the further north you go. Will you have a car?

Thanks for the welcome guys, I'm pumped for the next gaf-meetup and maybe getting a chance to go to PAX this year.

I'm already slowly starting to look at where in the city we would like to live, and the area around greenlake seems nice.

I live in Greenlake, which is awesome. Fremont and Wallingford are also fantastic.

AEREC

Damn it's so hard to find a decent place in Seattle. Currently living with family in greenlake but looking to move out soon. As soon as we find a place to rent its either gone or has 30+ applications already out on it.

Currently got an application on a place in Queen Anne...but not sure if we'll get it. They are checking our references so that is somewhat promising.

coldvein

Banned
Damn it's so hard to find a decent place in Seattle. Currently living with family in greenlake but looking to move out soon. As soon as we find a place to rent its either gone or has 30+ applications already out on it.

Currently got an application on a place in Queen Anne...but not sure if we'll get it. They are checking our references so that is somewhat promising.

one of my poor friends has been looking for a place for like four months lollllllll

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
What size are you looking for and what's your price range? There are openings in my building in lower Queen Anne; I've been real happy with the place and the management for over three years now.

Chichikov

Wallingford is probably the most boring neighborhood in Seattle, you'll need to drive/get in a cab to get anywhere fun, also, Dave Mathews lives there, I would advise against it.

I'm not a huge fan of Fremont, but it's pretty nice (though getting really pricey).

AEREC

What size are you looking for and what's your price range? There are openings in my building in lower Queen Anne; I've been real happy with the place and the management for over three years now.

Looking for something in the 1200 range...but we have 2 dogs and a cat which rules out a lot of places.

Nert

Seattle-Gaf!

Good news everyone! I am officially moving up your way this summer. Was up there twice this year and loved it, and now my Fiance just got accepting into grad school at UW. After considering our options, we decided we both wanted to try going out of our comfort zone a bit and try the NW area. (Both from the Kansas City area.)

Excellent news! I signed a lease agreement today and I'll be moving to Seattle myself (next week, in fact). I'll be sure to go to PAX and I would definitely be interested in a GAF meetup of some kind.

What a douchebag! ;)

Hrm. I'm surprised you're able to find anything in your price range that's 2 bedrooms. Maybe I've spent too much time on Capitol Hill...

Yeah, I'm surprised as well. My wife and I rented a 2-bedroom, 2-bath house in Ballard back in 2006 before we bought our home in Greenlake. It was $1,300 back then, and then we found out the landlord upped the rent by $500 after we moved in September 2007.

AEREC

Hrm. I'm surprised you're able to find anything in your price range that's 2 bedrooms. Maybe I've spent too much time on Capitol Hill...

Seen a few 2br's under 1200 in greenlake & magnolia but they are gone quickly or don't allow dogs.

The current place we are applying for is a 1br but has a decent sized basement that could easily double as a bedroom.

Ermc_G6

Thanks for the input. We both finished our undergrad this year, and so a bit more "quiet" part of town sounds a appealing actually.

Looking for 1BR, no pets, and hopefully at least 600ft for about $1000 a month. We could go more, but it would have to have something that set it apart.

We are going to just go down to one car, and plan to take advantage of the public transit a lot. So, it wouldn't be essential, but a place with parking would be that "extra feature" I'd be willing to pay more for.

Never been big into Dave Matthews. I doubt I would even recognize him on the street if I saw him.

Ermc_G6

Ah, there are a couple of singles here, but no two beds open.

Are you just saying, a few singles in your apartment?

If anyone knows of places that are opening up, let me know please!

6-pack and a Chipotle burrito for any good tips. (This was the standard fee among my friends for friends in college)

jb1234

Thanks for the input. We both finished our undergrad this year, and so a bit more "quiet" part of town sounds a appealing actually.

Looking for 1BR, no pets, and hopefully at least 600ft for about $1000 a month. We could go more, but it would have to have something that set it apart.

We are going to just go down to one car, and plan to take advantage of the public transit a lot. So, it wouldn't be essential, but a place with parking would be that "extra feature" I'd be willing to pay more for.

Never been big into Dave Matthews. I doubt I would even recognize him on the street if I saw him.

Depending on where you live, that parking space could be essential. I actually know people in Capitol Hill who park on the street and have to move their car every few hours. If you're further north (like Greenlake), this is much less of a problem.

I would definitely take a look up north (up to around 85th). It's much quieter than central Seattle, cheaper and public transit is still feasible.

dLMN8R

Went to some cool bars this weekend.

-Tommygun
-Artusi
-Canon
-Zig Zag
-Knee High Stocking Company

All highly recommended!

Depending on where you live, that parking space could be essential. I actually know people in Capitol Hill who park on the street and have to move their car every few hours. If you're further north (like Greenlake), this is much less of a problem.

There are some parts of North Seattle where it's all zone/limited parking, but where I'm at in Greenlake, there aren't those restrictions. To be honest, I wish we had zone permit parking around my house. I live by the 65th Park and Ride and the cars overflow into the neihgborhood.

kiryogi

Banned
Just a heads up for the Seattle crew! A new food truck just opened up around the SPU area called "The Curbside". Vietnamese food apparently. I know we don't have enough awesome food trucks up here like Portland does, so just spreading the word.

Address is:

3 west Nickerson street Seattle Washington 98119 at the mini mart shell

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Just a heads up for the Seattle crew! A new food truck just opened up around the SPU area called "The Curbside". Vietnamese food apparently. I know we don't have enough awesome food trucks up here like Portland does, so just spreading the word.

Address is:

3 west Nickerson street Seattle Washington 98119 at the mini mart shell

That Shell is usually occupied by retards who park at the first pump, blocking access to the second pump and invariably pointing in the wrong direction. Ensuring a retarded backup. It is my main gas station.

Cue Stinkles in 3, 2, 1...

0!

Stinkles

Wallingford is probably the most boring neighborhood in Seattle, you'll need to drive/get in a cab to get anywhere fun, also, Dave Mathews lives there, I would advise against it.

I'm not a huge fan of Fremont, but it's pretty nice (though getting really pricey).

Apart from the hyperbole, your point probably makes sense to students and 20-somethings and I won't refute it, but to families and older adults, Wallingford is actually an incredible neighborhood, and here's my case:

* Some of the best public schools
* Easy on-street parking in most streets
* A "Restaurant Row" that includes Tilth, Joule, The Whale Wins, Miyabi, Molly Moons, and several good to great Sushi options and tons more great food at all price ranges and even a decent Dim Sum.
* Bottleworks, Iron Bull, Murphy's, Kate's, Changes (gay) and several other decent drinking establishments.
* THE BEST FREEWAY ACCESS IN SEATTLE (520, 5, 99 - all easy to get to but not invasive)
* Parks galore - including the pretty amazing Gasworks
* Literally five minutes from downtown or Cap Hill OR Ballard by bus, car or cab.

Didn't Joule move down Stone Way, close to Fremont Brewing and The Whale Wins? Not sure I'd call that Wallingford. It's like the dead zone between Wallingford and Fremont. Wallinmont...

Don't forget about Blue Star and Bizzaro, too.

Apart from the hyperbole, your point probably makes sense to students and 20-somethings and I won't refute it

I love Capitol Hill, but I never lived there. My 20-somethings were spent in Queen Anne, Ballard and Greenlake. At 31, I guess I've gotten old fast or something.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Apart from the hyperbole, your point probably makes sense to students and 20-somethings and I won't refute it, but to families and older adults, Wallingford is actually an incredible neighborhood, and here's my case:

* A "Restaurant Row" that includes Tilth, Joule, The Whale Wins, Miyabi, Molly Moons, and several good to great Sushi options and tons more great food at all price ranges and even a decent Dim Sum.
* Bottleworks, Iron Bull, Murphy's, Kate's, Changes (gay) and several other decent drinking establishments.
* THE BEST FREEWAY ACCESS IN SEATTLE (520, 5, 99 - all easy to get to but not invasive)
* Literally five minutes from downtown or Cap Hill OR Ballard by bus, car or cab.

I live in redmond, but we go to wallingford quite a bit. For the crafty people, Fusion Beads, and Quilting Loft(More ballard I guess, but being an eastsider, I don't understand fully the divisions) are pretty great. And like you said, the food is amazing, I will never come out there for dim sum, but tilth....After you eat there, you can die happy.

I-5 south is a nightmare to get on from there though, a slight disagreement I have with you there.

jb1234

I've never thought of Wallingford as a location with ideal parking but maybe I just haven't spent much time there. I tend to lump it and the U District together.

Chichikov

So we're doing a neighborhood fight?
Bring it!

NqdLmpg.gif

* I haven't been 20 something in quite a while, and I still value walkability quite a lot.
* Traffic can actually be quite a pain in the ass if you're trying to get to cap hill or downtown area in rush hour.
* Protip: when you're using Molly Moon as a argument for you neighborhood foodie credentials, you have out-punted your coverage.
* There are more parks in cap hill, and they don't close them all at 10pm.
* You're absolutely right about schools (though let's be honest here, in America, this is mainly a fancy way of saying "it's a white and affluent neighborhood").

Edit: also, eastsiders love it!
;)

Stinkles

So we're doing a neighborhood fight?
Bring it!

NqdLmpg.gif

* I haven't been 20 something in quite a while, and I still value walkability quite a lot.
* Traffic can actually be quite a pain in the ass if you're trying to get to cap hill or downtown area in rush hour.
* Protip: when you're using Molly Moon as a argument for you neighborhood foodie credentials, you have out-punted your coverage.
* There are more parks in cap hill, and they don't close them all at 10pm.
* You're absolutely right about schools (though let's be honest here, in America, this is mainly a fancy way of saying "it's a white and affluent neighborhood").

Edit: also, eastsiders love it!
;)

* I fucking HATE Molly Moons. Womenfolk LOVE it. Protip, just walk to the front of the retarded line and buy a pint instantly from their fridge.
* Wallingford is incredibly walkable.
* Everywhere is a pain in the ass at rush hour. But PROTIP - take side streets north of 45th to the edge of the 5 and turn right. You just skipped the whole 45th st line and can get on 5 going North or South. 50th entrance is sometimes OK too.
* Capitol Hill is vastly more expensive than Wallingford (although not, oddly, per square foot)

Didn't Joule move down Stone Way, close to Fremont Brewing and The Whale Wins? Not sure I'd call that Wallingford. It's like the dead zone between Wallingford and Fremont. Wallinmont...

It moved to Stone Way, but both are still very much in Wallingford. On the East Side of Stone you are absolutely still in Wallyhood, and some argue (realtors mainly) that East of 99 is also FreWallyMont.

coldvein

Banned

SHOTS FIRED

Chichikov

Assuming you're okay with seeing black people on the street, the CD is fucking great and very affordable.

Greenlake/Wallingford/Tangletown/Fremont/Ravenna/U-District is extremely walkable. I've never understood that argument.
Walkable where?
You can't walk to a show (maybe the high dive if you're really next to Fremont) and from most of Wallingford you can't even stumble (I'm making an arbitrary distinction of under a mile here here) to a pub or a restaurant.
Everything is on 45th, and everything is not even all that great there.

And more broadly, I know numerous people who live in Wallingford, they don't usually go out in Wallingford; on the other hand, people who live in cap hill tend to walk to where they hang out much more frequently.

Stinkles

Assuming you're okay with seeing black people on the street, the CD is fucking great and very affordable.

Walkable where?
You can't walk to a show (maybe the high dive if you're really next to Fremont) and from most of Wallingford you can't even stumble (I'm making an arbitrary distinction of under a mile here here) to a pub or a restaurant.
Everything is on 45th, and everything is not even all that great there.

And more broadly, I know numerous people who live in Wallingford, they don't usually go out in Wallingford; on the other hand, people who live in cap hill tend to walk to where they hang out much more frequently.

lolwut

Chichikov

Do you go out?
Do you go out to Wallingford?

I mean it is doable, some people go out to Kirkland too, it's just that I don't think you're getting the most out of the city that way.

It's definitely not impossible to jump in a cab/car and get to more interesting neighborhoods of Seattle, but given that Wallingford is not really cheap, I'm not sure I see the upside.

Top Bottom