• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I literally just got back from a week long seattle trip....my thoughts.....fuck seattle. Our first night there and already sketchy ass people ready to mug us. Another sketchy person asking that we follow him to a better parking spot. Walked around got coffee only for a bum demand i give him my coffee. A fight almost broke out between another bum and a man trying to sell tickets for a rock show....all this within 10 minutes.

oh and the cherry on top was at the end of the night when we were leaving a shitty bar called noc noc we hear a gunshot go off when we looked he was right in front of us trying to gun down this other gangster who was running in the street, ofcourse the shooter missed hitting a innocent women in the arm. Shooter kept shooting across the street. Lol

But i did like the fishermans port lol.

I have lived here for ten years and haven't even encountered this much hassle playing Saints Row. Are you sure you weren't on a crack binge?

Chichikov

Joking aside, you're locking yourself out of some amazing places if you find Seattle too sketchy.

Edit: noc noc and that corner can get a bit sketchy late at night, but in an 80s sitcom kinds way, you know, a crazy homeless person and maybe a black dude.

zulfate

I'm kinda from puyallup. good times. not really super close to seattle, though. I assume you were staying with friends or something?
no my gf was on a business trip for a week and i tagged along because i always wanted to go to seattle.

where are you from?
im from california i lived in LA all my life and only encountered one drive by, i wasnt expecting to get almost shot in Seattle though lol

Honestly doesn't sound like an experience very indicative of what Seattle is actually like. Sorry that had to be your first impression cause literally everyone I know who visits here falls in love with the city immediately.

Also, for what it's worth, Noc Noc is a pretty weird. Can't say I know anyone that ever goes there. It's a shame that's one of the only bars you visited cause we have some much better options just a few blocks over.
i liked the city but at night it seemed to almost transform lol.

we went all over the place looking for a cool bar but we just couldnt find any, few block over on second street? because we did see a few of them but none of them tickle my ass the right way.

I know where Noc Noc is but beyond that where were you hanging out? There are rough parts of the city but usually its a tame place.

we were kinda hanging around that area we didnt really explore much so maybe next time it will be a better experience.

I have lived here for ten years and haven't even encountered this much hassle playing Saints Row. Are you sure you weren't on a crack binge?
hahah no trust me no crack but i wish i had some weed :( didnt find any and i was too scared to ask the bums.

Joking aside, you're locking yourself out of some amazing places if you find Seattle too sketchy.

Edit: noc noc and that corner can get a bit sketchy late at night, but in an 80s sitcom kinds way, you know, a crazy homeless person and maybe a black dude.

hell yeah that corner was popping....popping bullets!

zulfate

should have contacted your friends on neogaf.

fuuuuuuuuuuuu! i wanted to, i was stuck at the hampton inn in puyalup for a few days doing nothing but watch tv and look outside as if i was a bubble boy.

i went to the mall there and there was nothing to see but i found a gem inside, it was a game store for everything board gaming! i found it too late though, i wish i can find one like that here in LA

Le-mo

Anybody ate at Tilikum Cafe? I went there for the first time today and had the Savory Dutch Baby. It wasn't as good as I expected it to be. I probably would have enjoyed it more if I had someone to share it with. There were simply too much cheese and carbs for one person to handle and not even bacon and broccoli.

cdyhybrid

Man Puyallup is a shithole and not Seattle in any sense. Also if you can't deal with interactions with homeless people you won't be able to handle it here.

zulfate

Actually it sounds like his time in Seattle was spent in Puyallup lol.
i was there for 3 days out of 6.
Man Puyallup is a shithole and not Seattle in any sense. Also if you can't deal with interactions with homeless people you won't be able to handle it here.
bro i live in LA and at one point in east LA, i have literally walked trough skidrow coming home from a RAVE in downtown. trust me i totally know the difference but that night it was like all the bums having a night out in the city all drunk and nobody was giving a shit about the cops on bicycles lol, i was scared for them with the amount of bums that night.

so yes but my experience in seattle wasnt that great and honestly i didnt feel like there was anything to really do, atleast nothing i cant already do in LA. sorry if that sounds disrespectful to your city maybe ill give it another chance down the road...and fuck pimple lip too (puyallup)

if it means anything when you guys come down to cali hit me up i am always willing to hang with fellow nerds.

It's far from Seattle, in fact a complete 180 in a lot of ways, but I've definitely had some fun times in Puyallup. I can't hate.

rObit

Banned
Yeah, Puyallup is pretty much the definition of sprawl. Not terrible really, but there's seriously nothing there, other than the fair. You could have at least gone to Tacoma and seen the Chihuly glass stuff.

you ventured into south hill mall? you poor, poor soul.

and you should have snuck off to get some almost-bare-titty coffee on meridian. shame on you :p

That little pink shack never looks pretty man. It just looks sad.

That little pink shack never looks pretty man. It just looks sad.
I assume we are the only two here who know what we are talking about haha. I do love the banner on one of them advertising their new 'bombshell baristas', which I don't think has ever not been up. And you can't overlook Foxy Lady Coffee on Canyon Road :D

cdyhybrid

Haven't been to those but I've seen a bunch on 99 in Everett when I used to work there. Never stopped though. If I want titties and caffiene I'll buy a Red Bull at Rick's. Both are wastes of money though.

rObit

Banned
Haven't been to those but I've seen a bunch on 99 in Everett when I used to work there. Never stopped though. If I want titties and caffiene I'll buy a Red Bull at Rick's. Both are wastes of money though.

Yeah, I'm with you. If I need caffeine, I'm not generally in the mood to appreciate the female physique, so I'm not sure how those two ideas merged in the first place. They seem to be fairly popular though, so I guess it works.

I assume we are the only two here who know what we are talking about haha. I do love the banner on one of them advertising their new 'bombshell baristas', which I don't think has ever not been up. And you can't overlook Foxy Lady Coffee on Canyon Road :D

I haven't seen this place, as nothing takes me to Canyon. Is it the one that used to be Caveman coffee? My friend's dad used to run that place until he sold it to whoever turned it into a pretty girl coffee shop.

I don't know, I only noticed the place because the windows were all blacked out and there were a ton of cars parked there. I guess dudes need it bad. The best are the guys who get out of their work trucks and talk/flirt with the girls in the windows of these places, so shameless.

I work in Auburn, there are bikini baristas all over down here. Very popular with contractors and construction workers.

Yeah, Puyallup is pretty much the definition of sprawl. Not terrible really, but there's seriously nothing there, other than the fair. You could have at least gone to Tacoma and seen the Chihuly glass stuff.

South Hill is the dictionary definition of suburban sprawl hell.

My grandparents live in Puyallup by the river. It's a nice town if that's what you're going for. The downtown strip has some nice little shops, and Puyallup River Brewing just opened a taphouse down there, so I can't complain too much.

South Hill, however? Nuke it from orbit.

MjFrancis

and you should have snuck off to get some almost-bare-titty coffee on meridian. shame on you :p
I swear you can't drive five miles on a main road in the Greater Seattle area without stumbling upon one of these places. I wonder if their popularity has something to do with alcohol being banned from strip clubs. I wouldn't be surprised if you totaled the gross of the handful of clubs and all the peep show coffee shops in the area that the coffee shops would have more money running through them.

Puyallup is alright if for nothing else than you can tell if someone isn't from around here if they can't pronounce it properly. I like eating at the Powerhouse. They used to have a kick ass soup chef but still the rest of the menu is good. While nothing is outstanding, the prices are reasonable, the beer is decent, and nothing on the menu has disappointed me so far. And of all the thrift shops in the South Sound the Value Village there seems to get some quality stuff in - their prices have been going up to reflect that, unfortunately.

Also if Chihuly is the most notable artist of the area you know something in the local culture is lacking. He is the shining definition of overrated.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I was just in Puyallup last weekend, going to the sewing expo! It's a nice enough place, reminds me of where I came from in Oregon. I don't see many reasons to go there though.

zulfate

There was a restaurant i like but i cant really remember it was called HG deli or something like that, it had great food ill see if my lady remembers the name and edit it.

Edit:i HG Bistro, great food i recommend it

Lol i know and the odd part was the comic book convention adding very strange people walking around, i wanted to go :(

Am I the only Seattle guy geeky enough to have actually gone to Comicon? My daughter loves some kid's comic books and my boss (who had gone previous years) said that it was really kid friendly. I've never been to something like that before and I actually had a blast, just all sorts of neat stuff going on. Was honestly worth the price just to cruise around and watch all the crazy cosplay folks dressed up.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Sakuracon was going on the weekend that I moved to Seattle, and it gave me some really uncomfortable, negative vibes about the decision to come here. Three years on and I've come to pretty much hate this place and all the people, so apparently it was a sign.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Sakuracon was going on the weekend that I moved to Seattle, and it gave me some really uncomfortable, negative vibes about the decision to come here. Three years on and I've come to pretty much hate this place and all the people, so apparently it was a sign.

weird outlier opinion. But I hate Chicago and people love it. Different strokes.

I love me some giant robots, but I've never been interested in going to cons. Just not my thing.

Beer festivals? YES.
Anime/comic/gaming conventions? Meh.

MjFrancis

I love me some giant robots, but I've never been interested in going to cons. Just not my thing.

Beer festivals? YES.
Anime/comic/gaming conventions? Meh.
Speaking of beer festivals, what's your avatar? Never heard of it before.

Also, have you ever been to the hop festival in Yakima?

Chichikov

I hate those nerdcons, every single one of them makes life in the city less enjoyable to me and every single one of them lower my opinion of the city. I really try to leave my old elitist ways behind, but this one is proving too difficult, though it should be noted that I still haven't thrown a brick through window of that boardgame gaming place in cap hill, so that's progress.

That being said, I fucking love Seattle with all my heart.

weird outlier opinion. But I hate Chicago and people love it. Different strokes.
Did it hurt when you lost your mind?

cdyhybrid

I dunno how that could lower your opinion of the city unless you live next door to the convention center or something. There's a lot of other stuff going on!

MjFrancis

PAX isn't nearly as bad as I imagine a con could get. That's the only one I've gone to so I can't say much about the others, save for inferences made from the people I know who go to Comic Con every year.

Boneyard Beer out of Bend, OR. Their stuff (RPM IPA, Hop Venom Imperial IPA, Diablo Rojo Red, etc.) is available on tap in Seattle.
Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for these.

I hate those nerdcons, every single one of them makes life in the city less enjoyable to me and every single one of them lower my opinion of the city. I really try to leave my old elitist ways behind, but this one is proving too difficult, though it should be noted that I still haven't thrown a brick through window of that boardgame gaming place in cap hill, so that's progress.

I hate the cons too, but I love Ray Gun and Card Kingdom.

coldvein

Banned
i love when the cons are here. i've never been to one, but i like walking downtown and seeing all the cosplayers and whatnot. one day i will go inside.

zulfate

Am I the only Seattle guy geeky enough to have actually gone to Comicon? My daughter loves some kid's comic books and my boss (who had gone previous years) said that it was really kid friendly. I've never been to something like that before and I actually had a blast, just all sorts of neat stuff going on. Was honestly worth the price just to cruise around and watch all the crazy cosplay folks dressed up.

Alot of cosplayers running around seattle....even a fake swat team lol.....we tried to go but it was sold out

I would've gone had I found out about the event before it actually happened. More or less just to take in the experience though.

Say it isn't so, Bus.

jb1234

I've been running a little test of the people here, to see how many actually make eye contact with me and smile while when we pass each other, walking down the street. So far, 1 out of 20.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
It'd be one thing if you've interacted with the person (holding a door for them, for example) but it isn't realistic to expect everyone here or in any city to acknowledge us as we pass on the street -- otherwise, we'd be walking around with our heads bobbing like pigeons all day.

jb1234

It'd be one thing if you've interacted with the person (holding a door for them, for example) but it isn't realistic to expect everyone here or in any city to acknowledge us as we pass on the street -- otherwise, we'd be walking around with our heads bobbing like pigeons all day.

Sure, not everyone. 1 out of 20?

Top Bottom