• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

cdyhybrid

You guys are gonna have to teach me about beer at the next meet up. I usually just ask for a Guinness, and if they don't have that I'll just drink whatever the person I'm with orders.

I have no idea what you're talking about in about 75% of the beer-related posts.
Easiest way to get into it is just try random things or ask the server for a recommendation. Try a bunch of stuff and you'll learn what you like eventually.

I'll never move to the Eastside.

jb1234

You guys are gonna have to teach me about beer at the next meet up. I usually just ask for a Guinness, and if they don't have that I'll just drink whatever the person I'm with orders.

I have no idea what you're talking about in about 75% of the beer-related posts.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I had like the third beer of my life just a few days ago and had to ask the server for suggestions. I didn't mind it but I'm generally more of a hard liquor kinda guy. I just want to fit in better at these gatherings. ;)

If I end up staying in Seattle longer than two more years (which I'd doubt I will), I'd want to move to Issaquah/Redmond for this exact reason. No joke.

If you're young, live in North Seattle. There's not really a discussion to even be had.

I've owned my house in Greenlake for five years and have a one- year old daughter. No plans on ever leaving the city. Ever.

And yeah. I'm beer nerd. I can learn you.

I live in Kirkland and love it. I'm right near the the water to go kayaking, I am 5 minutes from great mountain biking. It is clean, quiet, peaceful and easy to get anywhere as I can shoot over the lake or cross the bridges to go to Seattle for music, other restaurants etc. I agree Bellevue sucks, but don't write off all of the Eastside.
I have little tolerance for living on tight little streets with little to no parking and your neighbor's house being on top of you. I need space.

Chichikov

I live in Kirkland and love it. I'm right near the the water to go kayaking, I am 5 minutes from great mountain biking. It is clean, quiet, peaceful and easy to get anywhere as I can shoot over the lake or cross the bridges to go to Seattle for music, other restaurants etc. I agree Bellevue sucks, but don't write off all of the Eastside.
I have little tolerance for living on tight little streets with little to no parking and your neighbor's house being on top of you. I need space.
It is shocking to me that anyone will describe Seattle as having tight streets or no parking, it's all relative I guess, but man, you're locking yourself out of most (all?) metropolitan areas with that attitude.

God. North Seattle, all the way. I think the Eastside is more for people who are older, want to start a family and don't mind the absence of nothing to do.

Being an older guy who started a family, I think if I didn't have things to do, I'd go all shining and such.

Lesson #1: No matter what anyone tells you, IPAs are the worst beers.

Lesson #1: No matter what anyone tells you, IPAs are the worst beers.
AndHereWeGo.gif

Eh, there's really no reason to get reeled into his trolling attempt. ;-)

Some people like IPAs, some don't. No big deal.

Besides, lagers are the worst beers.

Eh, there's really no reason to get reeled into his trolling attempt. ;-)

Some people like IPAs, some don't. No big deal.

Besides, lagers are the worst beers.
I used to hate IPAs (when I was 19). There's no question they're more of an "acquired taste" than other types of beer. If you get started drinking Lagers and Hefs, like a lot of people do, those hops can be a rude awakening at first.

Chichikov

IPAs are fine but they have started a hops arms race and they are currently gross.
Word.
There's a substantial chunk of the population in this town that thinks that more hops = more quality, and the industry is definitely catering to them (I'm sure in no small part because they seem to correlate quite well with willingness to pay steep prices for beer).
I'm not even saying it's wrong per se, it's a question of taste after all, but those people tend to be beer sipper quite often, so I still harbor a mix of disdain and anger toward them from my bartending days.

pax217

Girlfriend and I looking for a park to walk around tonight... Discovery vs. Magnuson... GO

As for beer, I've had most all kinds except for (Porters?), I think. I still have no preference, and as far as some go they kind of taste the same albeit they're different "brews" (or whatever the term is). I've had the "Fire Rock IPA", it seemed very heavy on hops (seems like that's the term you use for bitter...).

I went somewhere the other night that I will never go back to. "Streamline Tavern" in Queen Anne. I want to die just thinking about it. Had a Guinness. It was shitty Guinness.

We also went to "The Celtic Swell" on Alki last week; not a bad place. Had a Guinness. It was not a bad Guinness.

Looking for a solid dry cleaner that can do a reliable two-day turnaround if need-be. Prefer Queen Anne location(s) so I can drop-off/pick-up with ease if I'm in a hurry.

Fremont does a really nice job of not creating palate destroying hop bombs.

Saw Fremont IPA in cans at Trader Joe's today for $8/6pk. Just FYI if anyone drinks it regularly, that's a few bucks lower than I've seen it at other places over the week.

Nert

I just went to Shiro's for the first time tonight and *holy shit* it was good. The scallop sushi with lemon and sea salt was probably the best single piece of sushi that I've had. I'd eat there weekly if I could afford to.

pax217

I just went to Shiro's for the first time tonight and *holy shit* it was good. The scallop sushi with lemon and sea salt was probably the best single piece of sushi that I've had. I'd eat there weekly if I could afford to.

Walked by it yesterday on my way to Nordstrom, will definitely put it on the list.

dLMN8R

Do you have to make a reservation pretty far in advance? I at least imagine there's no chance at just walking in and getting a table.

Nert

Yeah, it's not the type of place that you can just walk into (I tried that a couple of days ago and ended up bailing instead of waiting for another hour). I got there half an hour before it opened tonight and I was fine, but it might be better to make a reservation.

omakase at the bar >>>>>> any table at Shiro's.

Yep, that's exactly what I did. I don't think that you can make a reservation for the bar, though.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
omakase at the bar >>>>>> any table at Shiro's. also, the fried shrimp heads are the shit. I can't reccomend anything else because it basically depends on the catch at the market.

Best way to eat is to eat early, at like 6, or show up about 630 and ask them to call you from the bars across the street. But you NEED to eat at the bar.

pax217

You shouldn't. I've never heard of anyone using something like that before so you should be just fine.

We just got back. Nice park. A bit confusing on where we were going, though. Should have checked a map ahead of time because I don't think we saw one the entire time we were there.

Decent weather this afternoon; can't complain compared to the last four days.

omakase at the bar >>>>>> any table at Shiro's.

Is there a schedule for when the Chef does Omakase or is it seven days a week? Might have to rush this into my plans this week.

I haven't been to the other one you mentioned but I personally liked discovery a lot when I went there. Did some geocaching and had a blast. It was fun to just wander around though I did get lost. I feel your pain bro.

Dead Guy Ale is my goto beer for relaxation.

If I want to get crazy, I head down a dirty hole of trying out new porters to try to acquire that taste. They've never hit my palate like IPAs do.

Do you know if I need one of those "Discovery Pass" things to park there?

I love Discovery Park, I feel that is has much better views, especially on the waterfront so make sure you take it all the way down to the beach.

Also, I'm not sure how much camping / hiking other folks do. But my family is super active outdoors so I'd totally recommend that you pick up a Discover Pass even though you don't need it for Discovery Park (I believe). It's like $30 bucks and opens up tons of state parks and hiking for users. I can't imagine doing without one if you like to get out at all.

And with summer coming why wouldn't you? I'm getting hyped already. A couple of trailruns booked, camping at Shaw Island and on the Eastside, swimming in Lake Washington. Love it.

Yeah I absolutely cannot wait to do some camping this summer.

I think I'm also going to head over to Leavenworth with some friends and do some whitewater rafting. I did that once a few years ago and it was a blast.

2Crisis

Well I got a potential job offer in Bellevue. Would be moving from Phoenix

Checked this thread and every post about it is how much Bellevue sucks :(

Haha, I just moved to Bellevue for work and it's perfectly fine. Small, nice little city. Drivers seem a lot worse compared to 20 min north of the area, but I'm used to it by now.

Just a short drive/bus ride to downtown Seattle as well. The toll on the 520 bridge sucks, but I-90 is still free (for now).

Most of us complaining about Bellevue grew up in or around Seattle. If you're moving there from Phoenix, I doubt you'll really even notice any of the things that we complain about. It'll be different from Phoenix though, that's for sure.

lingiii

Banned

Bellevue's actually great to work in, tons of lunch joints, some bars that get the job done. what's your offer? Valve? Bungie? Microsoft?

so many video game tshirts at Ooba Tooba. so many.

jb1234

Phoenix is just one gigantic sprawl. In that regard, as a suburb, Bellevue isn't really that much different. The biggest adjustment for you will probably be the weather.

dLMN8R

Yes, Bellevue is boring, but you can comfortably live in Seattle, Bellevue, Kirkland, Redmond, or other places and commute to Bellevue without much of an issue. Especially if you're willing to learn the (fairly great) bus system.

2Crisis

Bellevue's actually great to work in, tons of lunch joints, some bars that get the job done. what's your offer? Valve? Bungie? Microsoft?

so many video game tshirts at Ooba Tooba. so many.

heh, I wish. My offer is with Boeing.

Good to hear it's not as bad as first impression. A quick question though, how's mass transit? worth bringing my car up right away or could I make do without it for a bit?

gryz

Banned
heh, I wish. My offer is with Boeing.

Good to hear it's not as bad as first impression. A quick question though, how's mass transit? worth bringing my car up right away or could I make do without it for a bit?

don't listen to anyone who says you don't need a car.

Top Bottom