• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

cdyhybrid

I went to two Sonic games in the mid 2000s. I like basketball, but seeing the sport in person was expensive as I recall. I remembered a good portion of empty seats, too.

Seattle sports fans just don't stick around if the team isn't winning. See: Safeco Field circa 2001-2003 and Safeco Field now. It's packed for the Yankess and Boston, but generally they aren't pulling numbers anything like they were a decade ago.

Also, Sacramento did more to keep the Kings than Seattle ever did to keep the Sonics. I say let them have their only pro team and follow Portland if you're particularly desperate. :p

Can say that about 95% of the pro sports teams in this country.

And no denying that the city didn't do shit to try and keep the team, but that shouldn't be held against the fans, who had no say in it.

MjFrancis

cdyhybrid said:
Can say that about 95% of the pro sports teams in this country.

Really? I thought Seattle had a reputation for particularly fair weather sports fans. Probably just the reputation.

And no denying that the city didn't do shit to try and keep the team, but that shouldn't be held against the fans, who had no say in it.
They weren't having trouble filling Key Arena to a decent capacity, but a noticable percentage not attending wasn't keen on providing a subsidy for yet another Seattle sports team. Call it poor circumstances if you must. Asking for money shortly after Seahawks Stadium and Safeco Field were built was horrible timing.

cdyhybrid

Really? I thought Seattle had a reputation for particularly fair weather sports fans. Probably just the reputation.

It's not just you that thinks that, but it's not significantly worse than most places. It's just that a lot of our teams have been terrible for a while so it seems worse than it actually is, haha.

They weren't having trouble filling Key Arena to a decent capacity, but a noticable percentage not attending wasn't keen on providing a subsidy for yet another Seattle sports team. Call it poor circumstances if you must. Between Seahawks Stadium and Safeco, there's no doubt the timing was awful.

It was just a bad situation all around. I don't blame them for not shelling out the cash for that arena deal. At least in Sacramento the arena is only going to be partially publicly-funded. The arena Bennett and Co. wanted, they weren't willing to pay a dime for. They made an offer they knew wouldn't be accepted, so they could fall back on that as some sort of evidence that they made an effort to keep the team in place.

lingiii

Banned

They weren't having trouble filling Key Arena to a decent capacity, but a noticable percentage not attending wasn't keen on providing a subsidy for yet another Seattle sports team. Call it poor circumstances if you must. Asking for money shortly after Seahawks Stadium and Safeco Field were built was horrible timing.

Seattle doesn't have a reputation for anything "fair weather" :)

Sounders fans don't quit. Don't think half of them even know the team's record :) and the Rat City Rollergirls fill out the Key Arena well enough. Nobody ever knows who's won at the end of a bout :)

element

Also, Sacramento did more to keep the Kings than Seattle ever did to keep the Sonics.
You really can't say Seattle didn't "do anything" as Seattle never had a chance to block anything.

Seattle never had a chance to buy the team.
OKC ownership made a "good faith" effort to keep the team in Seattle. In the NBAs eyes, the team was sold to a group who intended to keep the team in Seattle.

Seattle never had the chance to block relocation.
OKC already owned the Sonics and after their lame "good faith" effort they applied to relocate the team. Since the team wasn't up for sale, there really wasn't any options to keep the team.

pax217

Yes, M's ticket sales are a perfect example of Seattle's dedication to a team. Most Seattleites will also say "Well everyone does that around the country" when it simply isn't true. It might be true for lower income areas like New Orleans, but Cleveland still sells a hell of a lot of tickets; as does places like PDX where they're like, what, half the metro area? That said, there's also not a ton of substitutes available in Cleveland or PDX.

Sounders fans don't quit. Don't think half of them even know the team's record :)

Then how can you call them fans, even? As far as I'm aware, the majority of that ECS group is a bunch of Amazon and Microsoft programmers who want to call themselves "soccer hooligans" and half of them are not even facing the field during the game because they're too busy trying to lead chants.

Seattle never had a chance to buy the team.
OKC ownership made a "good faith" effort to keep the team in Seattle. In the NBAs eyes, the team was sold to a group who intended to keep the team in Seattle.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! I'm in the very small boat of people who believe it was the fans' fault for the Sonics departure (I was at every home game the last two seasons, I missed a total of ten combined in the two before that. I was part of it, too), but not even I would believe that the NBA thought that Bennett's group ever planned to keep the team in Seattle.

I think if anyone thought that, MAYBE Schultz did... maybe.

MjFrancis

Yes, M's ticket sales are a perfect example of Seattle's dedication to a team. Most Seattleites will also say "Well everyone does that around the country" when it simply isn't true. It might be true for lower income areas like New Orleans, but Cleveland still sells a hell of a lot of tickets; as does places like PDX where they're like, what, half the metro area? That said, there's also not a ton of substitutes available in Cleveland or PDX.

Then how can you call them fans, even? As far as I'm aware, the majority of that ECS group is a bunch of Amazon and Microsoft programmers who want to call themselves "soccer hooligans" and half of them are not even facing the field during the game because they're too busy trying to lead chants.
You captured a lot of points I thought of making earlier. The only one I would be further pressed to add is that Seattle sports fans latched on to "the wave" like no other metro area has. That says a lot of Seattle sports fandom.

cdyhybrid

Whoa, whoa, whoa! I'm in the very small boat of people who believe it was the fans' fault for the Sonics departure (I was at every home game the last two seasons, I missed a total of ten combined in the two before that. I was part of it, too), but not even I would believe that the NBA thought that Bennett's group ever planned to keep the team in Seattle.

I think if anyone thought that, MAYBE Schultz did... maybe.

The Mariners are a terrible team and organization, and frankly aren't deserving of support in their current state.

You captured a lot of points I thought of making earlier. The only one I would be further pressed to add is that Seattle sports fans latched on to "the wave" like no other metro area has. That says a lot of Seattle sports fandom.

Maybe because it was invented here? ;)

element

but not even I would believe that the NBA thought that Bennett's group ever planned to keep the team in Seattle.
NBA meaning the owners group. They typically just go on someone's word. "are you keeping the team in seattle? yes..." welcome to the club.

The Mariners are bad and their ownership/front office is atrocious. However, I love them. I will always love them.
JackZ has done a great job. Sadly the pillars he put in place haven't paid off (Smoak, Montero, Ackley, Saunders). Their farm system went from being one of the worst in baseball to be stacked with young talent.

cdyhybrid

NBA meaning the owners group. They typically just go on someone's word. "are you keeping the team in seattle? yes..." welcome to the club.

JackZ has done a great job. Sadly the pillars he put in place haven't paid off (Smoak, Montero, Ackley, Saunders). Their farm system went from being one of the worst in baseball to be stacked with young talent.

I don't mind JackZ, but those 4 not popping might cost him his job. Howard and Chuck (and their bosses) need to go. Sell the team to Mark Cuban or something.

dubc35

I thought they bought root to keep the sonics off of root. Hopefully they're enjoying their shitty team and their record low attendance, again, last night.

Concept17

After over 6 years of being stuck in the shithole I live in, it looks like I'm finally going to be able to make the move to Seattle in June. Its not 100% set in stone yet, I have to sell my car first, but I'm so close I can feel it.

Can't wait.

pax217

There is a six-pack of Fremont IPA in the fridge at home. Today may be the beer-in-a-can day. Also, the suit commute is going well thus far; no problems keeping clean or dry-- but umbrellas are stupid.

This.

The Mariners are bad and their ownership/front office is atrocious. However, I love them. I will always love them.

This.

I don't mind JackZ, but those 4 not popping might cost him his job. Howard and Chuck (and their bosses) need to go. Sell the team to Mark Cuban or something.

This (maybe minus the Cuban thing; he's too outspoken for Seattle, albeit him and Paul Allen were the only two owners who voted against the Supes move).

Yeah, Jacky Z is still ok with me. Lincoln and Armstrong suck.

This.

I thought they bought root to keep the sonics off of root. Hopefully they're enjoying their shitty team and their record low attendance, again, last night.

...and this. I haven't gone this season, yet I've watched more baseball on the PS3 through MLB.TV than I have any other season (I think I've had the service for five or six seasons now). I'm not going to pay $20 for a shitty center field bleacher seat just because they've packed their games with "giveaways" every night now. It's unbelievable. I'm essentially on-track to see 10 more games at AT&T Park, 800mi south of here, than I am to see at Safeco because of the M's "dynamic pricing" bullshit. It infuriates me, sorry.

After over 6 years of being stuck in the shithole I live in, it looks like I'm finally going to be able to make the move to Seattle in June. Its not 100% set in stone yet, I have to sell my car first, but I'm so close I can feel it.

Can't wait.

We look forward to having you. Where are you coming from, if you don't mind me asking?

pax217

My dentist has mailed me a box of brownies and other assorted sweets... Hmm... They must be democrats.

Billings, Montana

Fairly certain I represent all of Montana-GAF.

I like Montana, although I'd probably hate living there. Let us know when you get into town and we'll all get a drink... but not at an M's game.

Enough bickering about silly basketball. What are we doing Friday?
I'm down to meet up Friday. I remember someone suggesting The Pine Box? Anything really works for me.

I know a number of other guys from Seattle-GAF expressed interest in meeting up so hopefully they'll be able to chime in as well.

blurrygil

I'm down to meet up Friday. I remember someone suggesting The Pine Box? Anything really works for me.

I know a number of other guys from Seattle-GAF expressed interest in meeting up so hopefully they'll be able to chime in as well.

I wouldn't mind a meetup. I could use a night to just get off work, drink and BS.

We should trek to JohnJohns afterwards. I've been dying to head back since their opening week...

Edit: I'll bring the lady, as well!

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
My rent is being raised so high at the end of June that I won't be able to afford to live here anymore. Don't know how I'm going to be able to find a new place that's reasonably priced and fairly conveniently located (no car) when I'm flat broke and can't find a job.

Seth C

I can do Thursday or Friday. Whatever works best for most. I figured Friday would. Just landed. Someone point me to the beer.

cdyhybrid

I can do Thursday or Friday. Whatever works best for most. I figured Friday would. Just landed. Someone point me to the beer.

Actually,

http://beeradvocate.com/beerfly/city/18

Breweries:
Reuben's Brews - 1406 NW 53rd St Ste 1A, Seattle
Black Raven Brewing Co. - 14679 NE 95th St, Redmond
Georgetown Brewing Company - 5200 Denver Ave S., Seattle
Big Time Brewery & Alehouse - 4133 University Way NE, Seattle
Fremont Brewing Company - 3409 Woodland Park Avenue North, Seattle
Schooner Exact Brewing Company - 3901 1st Ave S, Seattle
Rock Bottom Restaurant and Brewery - 550 106th Avenue NE #103, Bellevue
Rock Bottom Restaurant and Brewery - 1333 5th Avenue, Seattle
Elysian Brewing Company - 1221 E Pike St, Seattle
Maritime Pacific Brewing Company - 1111 N.W. Ballard Way, Seattle
Gordon Biersch - 600 Pine Street, Seattle
Odin Brewing Company - 9130 15th Pl. S. Suite F, Seattle
Elysian Fields - 542 First Avenue South, Seattle
Elliott Bay Brewing Co. - 4720 California Ave. SW, Seattle
Hale's Ales Brewery & Pub - 4301 Leary Way NW, Seattle
Pike Pub & Brewery - 1415 First Ave., Seattle
Bellevue Brewing Company - 1820 130th Ave NE Ste 2, Bellevue
Mac and Jack's Brewery - 17825 NE 65th Street, Suite B110, Redmond
Hilliard's Beer - 1550 NW 49th Street, Seattle
Two Beers Brewing Co. - 4700 Ohio Ave S, Seattle
Naked City Taphouse - 8564 Greenwood Ave N, Seattle
Big Al Brewing - 9832 14th Ave SW, Seattle
Pyramid Breweries, Inc. - 91 S Royal Brougham Way, Seattle
Baron Brewing - 1605 South 93rd Street Bldg E Unit L, Seattle
Epic Ales - 3201 First Ave South, Suite 104, Seattle

Seth, where are you staying? Hopefully not near the dumbasses starting shit in the May Day protests right now.

Actually,

http://beeradvocate.com/beerfly/city/18

Breweries:
Reuben's Brews - 1406 NW 53rd St Ste 1A, Seattle
Black Raven Brewing Co. - 14679 NE 95th St, Redmond
Georgetown Brewing Company - 5200 Denver Ave S., Seattle
Big Time Brewery & Alehouse - 4133 University Way NE, Seattle
Fremont Brewing Company - 3409 Woodland Park Avenue North, Seattle
Schooner Exact Brewing Company - 3901 1st Ave S, Seattle
Rock Bottom Restaurant and Brewery - 550 106th Avenue NE #103, Bellevue
Rock Bottom Restaurant and Brewery - 1333 5th Avenue, Seattle
Elysian Brewing Company - 1221 E Pike St, Seattle
Maritime Pacific Brewing Company - 1111 N.W. Ballard Way, Seattle
Gordon Biersch - 600 Pine Street, Seattle
Odin Brewing Company - 9130 15th Pl. S. Suite F, Seattle
Elysian Fields - 542 First Avenue South, Seattle
Elliott Bay Brewing Co. - 4720 California Ave. SW, Seattle
Hale's Ales Brewery & Pub - 4301 Leary Way NW, Seattle
Pike Pub & Brewery - 1415 First Ave., Seattle
Bellevue Brewing Company - 1820 130th Ave NE Ste 2, Bellevue
Mac and Jack's Brewery - 17825 NE 65th Street, Suite B110, Redmond
Hilliard's Beer - 1550 NW 49th Street, Seattle
Two Beers Brewing Co. - 4700 Ohio Ave S, Seattle
Naked City Taphouse - 8564 Greenwood Ave N, Seattle
Big Al Brewing - 9832 14th Ave SW, Seattle
Pyramid Breweries, Inc. - 91 S Royal Brougham Way, Seattle
Baron Brewing - 1605 South 93rd Street Bldg E Unit L, Seattle
Epic Ales - 3201 First Ave South, Suite 104, Seattle

The list is missing Peddlers, Populuxe, Outlander, Bluebird, Spinnaker Bay Brewing, Northwest Peaks Brewing, Urban Family Brewing, etc.

Oh yeah, Baron Brewing is gone. They were purchased by Trade Route and became Northwest Brewing Company.

Seth C

Seth, where are you staying? Hopefully not near the dumbasses starting shit in the May Day protests right now.

The list is missing Peddlers, Populuxe, Outlander, Bluebird, Spinnaker Bay Brewing, Northwest Peaks Brewing, Urban Family Brewing, etc.

Oh yeah, Baron Brewing is gone. They were purchased by Trade Route and became Northwest Brewing Company.

I'm at 5th and Madison. What's going on?

I'm at 5th and Madison. What's going on?

We have yearly protests and marches on May Day. The immigration and labor marches went smoothly earlier today, but now we've got the anarchists having fun trying to start shit downtown.

Go to Collins Pub for some good craft beer tonight. Ask the guy at your hotel, he'll show you the way. Elysian Fields near the stadiums is in the same area and Elysian always has good stuff you can't get anywhere else. Those and The Pike Brewery are really your best bets for beer in downtown Seattle. All the good stuff is in the neighborhoods.

Anyone here a graphic designer in the seattle area? Thinking about heading up there sometime after graduation and just wanted to see if anyone had any experience.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
w4Waf9u.jpg

Top Bottom